IGNORED

Baby Jeebus, I've hit the motherlode! Moody Books

marmalade

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, how on Earth did I miss this thread! Now I've got to open another bottle of wine to catch up!

I do hope you care about the Oxford comma :lol:

And "they're," "there," and "their."

Pedantic bitches, UNITE!! :dance:

Then I'm a bitchette. My grammatical fingernails on a chalkboard: try AND instead of try to. Makes my skin crawl. And, of course, should of instead of should have. Yikes.

As an example:

Someone should of tried and stopped Sarah Maxwell from writing that crap.

My grammatical fingernails on a chalkboard: "somewhat unique." Gets to me every time.

My personal writing peeve - more and more, my students are substituting the word "defiantly" for the word "definitely." The only saving grace is that that substitution sometimes makes for hilarious new interpretations of their sentences.

Oh, and "for all intensive purposes."

READ MORE, my lovely students, for the love of all that is good and right in the world. :ugeek:

My grammatical fingernails on a chalkboard: "somewhat unique." Gets to me every time.

Marian, it took me twice the time it should HAVE to read the book due to the eye-rolling (a specialty of mine since childhood)/head-shaking in disbelief.

But it's AUTOGRAPHED! I feel like such a speshul snowflake. :dance:

FWIW, every thread I've started here ended up in a discussion about grammar. Fitting. I was just accepted to grad school; high school English in "at-risk" schools in my area. Unlike College Minus, my program may be distance, but the classes are LIVE via webcam. You have to show up for lecture/discussions, as you would for an on-campus class. None of the online courses I've taken in the past offered this. Discussion with other students was on a message board.

At any rate, Sarah's grammar still sucks, as evidenced on the Maxwell blog.

I do hope you care about the Oxford comma :lol:

I care deeply about the Oxford comma. I can mispunctuate while under the influence, but damn it, I love my commas!

I care deeply about the Oxford comma. I can mispunctuate while under the influence, but damn it, I love my commas!

I just wrote a book with a co-author. My co-author, in her section of the acknowledgements, thanked me for my love of the Oxford comma. I will stand for that comma with my last breath.

Anyone up for a discussion on "went missing"? This seems to be very popular in current journalism and it drives me nuts.

"Bobby Jo Higgins went missing today" drives me nuts. Like he just evaporated in conjunction with the actions of the universe. What happened to "he is missing" to remove the blame on the child for being "missing"?

Slightly OT: They will pry the Oxford/serial comma out of THIS tech writer's cold, dead hands.

Ditto, here.

Archived