IGNORED

Baby Jeebus, I've hit the motherlode! Moody Books

marmalade

Yup! :clap: :clap:

ETA: Also, sometimes when writing out a list, you need the "and" because of a grouping within the list. And that really makes the comma needed before the final and.

EX: I packed my clothes, toys, pens and pencils, books, and movies.

Sure, there are instances where it's necessary, but as an English major who just graduated (better late than never, eh?), we got marked DOWN if we used it in a single list. The English post-grad program is tops in the country, so just be warned: the snots grading me now are tomorrow's professors. I didn't see the Oxford comma in my professor's writings and many of them were in their 50's/60's. I didn't use it. Neither GSI's nor professors who self-graded in seminar courses red-penciled me.

Any protests can be directed to english.berkeley.edu :mrgreen:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would agree that it is debated and that it's not officially being phased out yet, that could just be the culture of your program/school. I also just graduated with an English degree and though there was no official preference (as in affecting your grade) most professors and students were pro-Oxford comma. I haven't used it unless necessary ever since I learned you didn't have to, though.

Sure, there are instances where it's necessary, but as an English major who just graduated (better late than never, eh?), we got marked DOWN if we used it in a single list. The English post-grad program is tops in the country, so just be warned: the snots grading me now are tomorrow's professors. I didn't see the Oxford comma in my professor's writings and many of them were in their 50's/60's. I didn't use it. Neither GSI's nor professors who self-graded in seminar courses red-penciled me.

Wow. Four years ago when I was an English major in college that wasn't the case. I'm sure it'll change again in a few years so they can sell more books. I swear, they take things like this and change the rules randomly just to fuck with people. There's no need to have a different essay format for every single subject. It's ridiculous.

Either way, Sarah still needs some serious remedial English classes. "The Bell's came over." (insert a greatly needed face palm smily)

The oxford comma wasn't a problem with any of my writing profs, as long as you used it (or didn't use it) consistently. Honestly, I think it's a ridiculous thing to get up in arms about either way. Except in cases where the oxford comma is needed to make a sentence clear, it really is just a matter of aesthetics. Don't get me wrong -- a lot of grammatical rules are necessary for clear writing -- but there are also a lot of silly little rules that serve no real purpose and look a bit smug and elitist (Oh, you write *that* way, do you? How very quaint.) I am no lover of the not-ending-sentences-on-a-preposition rule, and I have a personal vendetta against the banning of contractions in formal writing as well.

Oh! Sarah avoided ending one sentence with a preposition by having one kid (an 8 year old) say something to the effect of: "Blah blah blah blah, of which there were many." Seriously, who talks like that (aside from my snooty professors and some of their equally snooty PhD candidates)? I have no problem writing formal papers without contractions; if the paper is published, it's easier for people whose first language isn't English to understand. Frankly, it's more about knowing your audience and what's accepted (or not) in a given situation.

I started at the CC 5 years ago and it was in effect when I took English 1A and Critical Thinking/Writing at that level before transferring to the ebil librual university. :mrgreen: I only remember having one textbook and that was in the Critical Thinking/Writing class. If they teach this, they have to start from the bottom up; I'd say first or second grade depending on the level of the school's curriculum.

At any rate, that's probably the least of the problems with the book. There is absolutely no tension, something kids DO get if they're exposed to any decently written book or movie. Some kids who have been to public school, or seen a Disney movie before going down the rabbit hole into fundie homeschool zealotry, are going to laugh their asses off reading this drivel.

What stultifying reading. I cannot imagine imposing that kind of stuff on a young mind. How can kids use and possibly develop their imaginations by reading this crap?

What stultifying reading. I cannot imagine imposing that kind of stuff on a young mind. How can kids use and possibly develop their imaginations by reading this crap?

They aren't supposed to.

Oh! Sarah avoided ending one sentence with a preposition by having one kid (an 8 year old) say something to the effect of: "Blah blah blah blah, of which there were many." Seriously, who talks like that (aside from my snooty professors and some of their equally snooty PhD candidates)?

I do :shifty: But I'm a nerd like that and I've always loved English. An ex boyfriend of mine loved to get me half drunk and then discuss grammar. Some people drunk dial. Some people make lots of stupid and gross food. But not me. When I'm drunk, apparently, I get into discussions about how it's okay to end a sentence with what appears to be a preposition but it's actually not because it's part of a verbal phrase making it grammatically correct. I need a life :lol:

When I'm drunk, apparently, I get into discussions about how it's okay to end a sentence with what appears to be a preposition but it actually not because it's part of a verbal phrase making it grammatically correct. I need a life :lol:

Can you give an example, pretty please? Feel free to get drunk first if necessary, haha.

I'm old and set in my ways. I adore the Oxford comma. I hate ending sentences with a preposition. I judge people who cannot distinguish between "you're" and "your." I judge them harshly. Oh, and people who don't know "its" from "it's." I can be a pedantic bitch.

I'm old and set in my ways. I adore the Oxford comma. I hate ending sentences with a preposition. I judge people who cannot distinguish between "you're" and "your." I judge them harshly. Oh, and people who don't know "its" from "it's." I can be a pedantic bitch.

And "they're," "there," and "their."

Pedantic bitches, UNITE!! :dance:

Everyone should know the difference between to and too, but I know I am petty.

Aww, I saw the little paperclip next to the thread name and clicked on it, hoping to see a pic of the actual book with the actual signature. Alas, it was only a graphic in a grammar war.

Can you give an example, pretty please? Feel free to get drunk first if necessary, haha.

Yes! My favourite example: "That is something I will not put up with" This statement is actually grammatically correct because "put up with" can be replaced with a verb, such as "tolerate", without chaining the originally meaning of the sentence. If you can replace a group of words like "put up with" with one verb, it is considered a verbal phase. Therefore, you are not ending a sentence with a preposition. Enjoy :D

And "they're," "there," and "their."

Pedantic bitches, UNITE!! :dance:

Everyone should know the difference between to and too, but I know I am petty.

And two! What really annoys me is text speech. I can't stand when someone types like that. I saw this the other day and had to save it. "H333Y DAD! Wh4t R yewwww d01n" "Going to the book store" "How KoMe. Wh4chu gettn 4rm der" Seriously. It takes effort to write like a moron. Ugh. Now I admit to leaving out apostrophes occasionally, and the only real "shortcut" I use when typing is "bc" for because. But this is also a forum and not a book I'm hoping to publish. In the episode when the duggars went to public school - at pretended to - Jessa was talking about how she checks the kids scores on the computer everyday "just to make sure they're doing good". Well there's some fine education for ya!

edit: I also use "ya" at times in place of "you".

Okay, back to the book...

I've just stumbled (that was the subject of the boy's "of which" sentence, "stumbling" :roll: ) upon the mantra upon which the Maxwells base their definition and philosophy of "fun":

Mother speaking to 9 year-old daughter: "...we have discussed before that everything doesn't have to be fun. You can choose to be content and happy even if you do not consider what you are doing to be fun. As a matter of fact, when we are serving the Lord, we are to find joy in serving Him. That is our fun."

Where was that conversation we had about use of contractions in spoken word vs. formal writing (I called it "know your audience")? Good lord, not even the worst fundie speaks as if they're reciting the KJV at every moment in life. Sure, this is the biggest "teachable lesson" in the book to this point, but it's still a kids' book. Reading the Fundie-ese on blogs is bad enough; they definitely try to one-up each other with the pious formality of tone.

edited to close quotes...so busy trying to format that I forgot (as seen in the quoted text below)

Okay, back to the book...

I've just stumbled (that was the subject of the boy's "of which" sentence, "stumbling" :roll: ) upon the mantra upon which the Maxwells base their definition and philosophy of "fun":

Mother speaking to 9 year-old daughter: "...we have discussed before that everything doesn't have to be fun. You can choose to be content and happy even if you do not consider what you are doing to be fun. As a matter of fact, when we are serving the Lord, we are to find joy in serving Him. That is our fun.

I was trying to find a pertinent quote on ignoring your feelings at the Maxwell blog, in response to this. I knew it was a few pages back in the archives, so I just googled it. Here are two quotes on feelings:

[context] Without all the “happy†feelings and distractions, we have the chance to celebrate in a genuine, heart-felt way.
"Happy" in quote marks. Feelings are a distraction.
Despite all the challenges, we’re continuing to rest in the Lord. Our contentment and joy doesn’t come from feelings but rather our dependence on the One Who is in control!
Healthy!

titus2.com/blog/index.php/2007/12/21/its-the-happiest-season-of-all/

titus2.com/blog/index.php/2010/08/07/you-dont-have-to-consult-the-calendar/

Healthy!

titus2.com/blog/index.php/2007/12/21/its-the-happiest-season-of-all/

titus2.com/blog/index.php/2010/08/07/you-dont-have-to-consult-the-calendar/

They're talking about Steve here, right?

Well, that was 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

The end of the book sells Teri and Steve-o's other books that were out at the time. I double-checked the Preface and she says, "Christopher, my older brother by two years..." She says this and the blog says something else. At the time she wrote the book Sarah was 20/21; you'd think by then, she would know how to add. :naughty:

Well, that was 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

The end of the book sells Teri and Steve-o's other books that were out at the time. I double-checked the Preface and she says, "Christopher, my older brother by two years..." She says this and the blog says something else. At the time she wrote the book Sarah was 20/21; you'd think by then, she would know how to add. :naughty:

If her logic is like that of Joanne on the other thread ("My son is 18. When he's 19, he'll be over 18. But right now he's not over 18 because he is 18." :roll: ) I'm thinking at that point in time they were two years apart. My children are 20 months apart. Right now we're in that 4 month window of the year where they're only a year apart number wise in age. So I'm assuming - hoping - that that's what she meant. Then again, judging by her poor writing skills, she may just have poor math skills as well.

ETA: I'd offer to buy it from you but I doubt you want to sell it. I could add it to my collection of fundie signatures. :lol:

The oxford comma is debated because without it, your sentence changes meaning. I am public schooled, younger than Sarah, and instructed to use it in middle school, high school, and college.

Here's why:

http://weknowawesome.com/2011/09/30/the ... nd-stalin/

I <3 the Oxford Comma!

The marketing department at my office refuses to use it. I debate this with them regularly. I post signs pointing out the beauty of the Oxford Comma. Yes, I am a freak!

They killed a tree for this? I can't believe people actually like this crap! Just wasting book time talking about the headshits giving permission to take off or leave on shoes is rediculous, even if the writing were actually good. Yeah, no wonder they self publish, indeed.

Steve must talk to Teri like this. Sarah writes from "real life". :roll:

Oh! Sarah avoided ending one sentence with a preposition by having one kid (an 8 year old) say something to the effect of: "Blah blah blah blah, of which there were many

My 7 year old. I do not know why. But he does. We're big readers and I guess he just figures, if it's used in a book, there's no reason he shouldn't use it when he talks.

Archived