IGNORED

Holy iPad slayer! look out apple god is after you

doggie

This clunky overpriced thing is such a joke. But since the bible comes in so many versions on it I can't see fundies using it.

foxnews.com/tech/2012/07/11/holy-ipad-slayer-company-releases-worlds-first-christian-tablet/

I think some fundies would buy that crap. I had to laugh at this line

“We basically stacked it up to [Amazon’s] Kindle Fire,” Honorable said. “Only theirs is $199.99. Ours is $149.99. The battery is actually stronger than everybody else out there on the market.”

Oh yay a strong battery. I wonder if I can stream Netflix movies on the Edifi or play Words with Friends on it. Umm probably not. The Kindle Fire and the iPad are ebil but they are better than the godly Edifi.

Hard to find a screen resolution lower then this clunker. wonder how much the hamster eats that powers it?

Ya know, when you introduce a new product, it's probably not wise to mention there's a new version coming out with lots of fixes/changes. That ends to substantially erode profits.

Stephen Colbert just did a cute bit about this, including something about not being permitted to touch the screen until you have married it.

Wow. I can kinda see where buyers might be coming from, but...

I used to spend sizable sums of money on electronic dictionaries. These are dedicated devices which are sort of in the form of a clamshell that opens to have a keyboard on one half and a screen on the other - the screens were the usual unlit "black on grey" crystal displays like you'd see on a calculator. They come preloaded with various reference books on them, so you'd get the equivalent of the OED but for Japanese (or Korean or Chinese, depending where you're from - these were hugely popular in most Asian countries) a character lookup dictionary, an encylopedia, that sort of thing. Often an English-to-our-language dictionary too, which makes them popular for people living in the US. You can still see plenty of people using them if you go to a college with foreign students.

At some point I realized there exist similar devices in the US with Bibles and search capability, concordance, etc. Not my thing at all, but it was interesting to see "aha, there's a similar device here" because it seems electric dictionaries were never a big deal in the US.

Well, I was always wishing that certain reference books I use a lot would appear on the electric dictionaries (they come preloaded with whatever books on them, and that's it). Those books never did, but...

...I found out they released an app with all their information, for the iPhone.

Bought an iPhone, and I have never looked back. All those reference books I used to get on the electric dictionaries all release for iPhone/Android/iPad/whatever now, they're FAR higher resolution, easier to use, have upgrades, etc, plus the device itself is truly multipurpose. And I don't need to spend anything on apps I won't use, unlike those electric dictionaries that come with a set list of books and you get all or nothing.

Which is all to say, surely those electric Bible makers too have gone for generic iPhone/Android/iPad apps also. So if you trust yourself to not sin 24/7, you'd probably be better off getting the generic device and putting the regular apps on it. I KNOW there are various apps for Talmud and the like, places sometimes offer iPod touches preloaded with all that stuff, even. So yeah. Don't mess with this thing!! :roll:

Am I the only one who has flashbacks to windows 3.0?

I have the bible on my kindle DX. I can write notes about historical context and highlight text that I find uplifting. I was able to get the bible for free so I see no reason to get this device.

I dont understand why companies are trying to create an ipad killer. The ipad has its place. Right now, its great for people with disabilities because it has many apps to help those of us who need it. I am sure the windows tablets will also have a place in the market place. Many companies use windows so it would be nice to have a device that syncs with windows. There are not many windows tablets on the market right now so I cant do a side by side comparison. I have not played with android tablets so I can not comment on them. I can say that the device in the news piece is no ipad killer for me. My ipad can read to me through my hearing aids, it can help me keep on task and I can run Microsoft office on it. It also has a digital lab notebook which is in compliance with many regulation bodies.

I have to laugh at this. This tablet's selling point is having multiple translations of the Bible? Ok, so would people shell out money to pay for that when they can buy any of the other tablets/ereaders running around AND get other functionality/better resolution? I mean, there's nothing stopping people from uploading multiple bible translations onto their Kindle Fire, Nook, Kindle, ipad etc. As for the "safe browser"....do people think that's something they should pay to get specifically? There's plenty of ways to prevent children from looking at certain sites but I don't think any adult, fundies or otherwise, enjoy having someone ELSE choose what sites they can see. There's nothing on this tablet that the ipad or any other tablet can't provide for and probably better.

I have an ipad and I absolutely love it. I can't imagine paying even $150 for something whose selling point is preinstalling multiple translations of the Bible. Heck, give me a few hours, I can probably upload the same things onto my ipad. And I get great resolution AND no one else screening my websites....

I agree YPestis, I also laughed at the selling point about offering mulitple translations of the Bible, I guess the Edifi developers don't realize other tablets and e-readers offer those options. I don't think the Edifi has that much of a market to begin with. The iPad has been on the market for a couple of years already and some fundies already own iPads. A former co-worker of mine has a son who is in divinity school right now and several months back on Facebook he talked about he bought an iPad to use a Bible app and another note taking app for some of classes because several of his classmates find the iPads easy to use for certain classroom tasks.

The only fundies I could see buying this crap are the very hardcore fundies like Maxwells. Fundie lite types will not buy this crap. Some fundie lites would be drawn to the iPad or Kindle Fire because some of those people probably watch stuff on Netflix or play certain games.

Do they even say what platform it runs? My mom got me a kindle fire as an early birthday present because she thought I could save a ton on textbooks. I do, but the free apps are amazing. I have almost every version of Angry Birds out there. We can watch netflix on it, and when my computer died I could at least check in with the modern world occasionally. I love the thing.

Twenty-seven versions of the Bible? Every real Christian knows there's only one version you need, and that's the 1611 KJV!

Do they even say what platform it runs? My mom got me a kindle fire as an early birthday present because she thought I could save a ton on textbooks. I do, but the free apps are amazing. I have almost every version of Angry Birds out there. We can watch netflix on it, and when my computer died I could at least check in with the modern world occasionally. I love the thing.

Another line from Colbert -- it has a version of Angry Birds in which the birds just knock on the pigs' doors and ask to talk about Jesus. :D

The whole episode is online now:

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episo ... -d--parker

As others have mentioned, it really is crazy to shell out that much money for different translations. There is a FREE app for the iPad/iPhone called Bible Gateway that allows you to choose your translation, with the ability to switch between multiple translations.

I'll stick with my iPad and iPhone.

Another line from Colbert -- it has a version of Angry Birds in which the birds just knock on the pigs' doors and ask to talk about Jesus. :D

This is the best thing to happen to me all week.

I have to laugh at this. This tablet's selling point is having multiple translations of the Bible? Ok, so would people shell out money to pay for that when they can buy any of the other tablets/ereaders running around AND get other functionality/better resolution? I mean, there's nothing stopping people from uploading multiple bible translations onto their Kindle Fire, Nook, Kindle, ipad etc. As for the "safe browser"....do people think that's something they should pay to get specifically? There's plenty of ways to prevent children from looking at certain sites but I don't think any adult, fundies or otherwise, enjoy having someone ELSE choose what sites they can see. There's nothing on this tablet that the ipad or any other tablet can't provide for and probably better.

I have an ipad and I absolutely love it. I can't imagine paying even $150 for something whose selling point is preinstalling multiple translations of the Bible. Heck, give me a few hours, I can probably upload the same things onto my ipad. And I get great resolution AND no one else screening my websites....

There are several apps that offer Bible translations on the market

Archived