IGNORED

Jinjer: Shopping in Bookstores

Coconut Flan

I am a member in our local library and I always call it my external book-shelf. I realised that I might have a problem when I started second rows in my shelves at home. But I like it this way. And hey, it's books what I talk about.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never read anything from Harry Potter. Do I have to go to the prayer closet now for admitting this? ;-)

Neither have I. I watched the movies but that's as much time as I care to invest in it. I liked them but I've got plenty of other books I'm more excited to read.

I do think it's a shame they came out when I was at an age where I couldn't even consider reading them, because I was so desperate to grow up that I couldn't possibly associate with something younger kids were reading. And now my reading list has higher priority books on it.

I've spent the last year decluttering my apartment, and have gotten rid of hundreds (and I do mean hundreds) of books.

Love them, and love reading but it was just time to let them go.  I probably have around 50 now.

16 hours ago, treehugger said:

I am always sad at how few books fundie children read. We are a very minimalist household (moving 6x in 7 years of marriage will do that to a person). And yet, little treehuggers (ages 2 and 4), have over 260 books on their bookshelves alone. And I have read every single one of those books to them at least once. I've paired down all our possessions to the dearly loved and necessary, but I cannot get rid of the books. They are just so important! 

I'm glad Jinger is starting to appreciate books. Hopefully she will learn to love books because of the books themselves, not just because her husband does. 

I'm with you there!!  I can throw out everything, but never my books.  I keep having to buy more bookcases.  They track my intellectual and spiritual journey and are like old friends and new friends.  I can't part with them.  I loved Jinger's statement -- she was totally being witty and fun in saying it and I do think her world is opening up.  Not what many FJers have experienced, but huge for a Duggar.  Someone said, "Well it's as if she said Jeremy loves tuna.  I love Jeremy.  Therefore I love tuna."  No it's not.  Because tuna is just a fish to eat.  Books are doorways to other worlds.  Even within a Christian context there is so much for her to read that will enlarge her beyond the tiny box of TTH beliefs.  If all communication and books have been cut off and you only know what two parents tell you for 22 years, and then all of a sudden you have a doorway -- even if that doorway leads only to a relatively small amount of things, it's still way more than you had and the possibilities are exciting.  Because each book leads to another book.  To me she's way ahead of Joy or any of her sisters on this front. Ben loves books, but I don't think Jessa is nearly as open as Jinger is to a new world and may not even care about most of what he's reading.

16 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I've spent the last year decluttering my apartment, and have gotten rid of hundreds (and I do mean hundreds) of books.

Love them, and love reading but it was just time to let them go.  I probably have around 50 now.

i did the same thing last summer.  i had nearly a thousand (i did count, but i've forgotten the total), but i had to reorganize 2 rooms in my house and needed the space.  i kept about 250 of them.  

we rented some party tables and had a massive book sale in the driveway.  

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

BEC time! Jinjer need to lay off the photo editing on these IG photos. 

I actually did the same thing when I first joined Instagram 3 years ago. Oooo, what does this filter or that one do?  I went to art school and have taken advanced photo editing classes and still geeked out on Instagram because I could play with photos on my phone. I'm still guilty of it but cringe at my early Insta posts. She may find her photography style by doing so, I know I did. 

@missgeno, the first two are very much children's books, but Rowling does an excellent job of raising the reading levels with each book. I'm at any point in time rereading books 3-7. I always make time for them , even when completing my minimum 100 books a year goal. Make some time for them! I promise you won't  regret it. You could also try reading A Cuckoos Calling to get an example of her descriptive writing style in a book aimed for adults.

27 minutes ago, NeverBeenKissed said:

I actually did the same thing when I first joined Instagram 3 years ago. Oooo, what does this filter or that one do?  I went to art school and have taken advanced photo editing classes and still geeked out on Instagram because I could play with photos on my phone. I'm still guilty of it but cringe at my early Insta posts. She may find her photography style by doing so, I know I did. 

Filters are fine but she's actually touching them up. You can tell by Jeremy being in color, everything else black and white,etc. It would almost be better with a simple filter. 

Apparently she responded to someone that she was reading, what i gather is, some sort of philosophical jesus thing. Discussed briefly a few pages back. 

5 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Agree, although I think most of the edited ones have been posted by Jeremy.

@missgeno, the first two are very much children's books, but Rowling does an excellent job of raising the reading levels with each book. I'm at any point in time rereading books 3-7. I always make time for them , even when completing my minimum 100 books a year goal. Make some time for them! I promise you won't  regret it. You could also try reading A Cuckoos Calling to get an example of her descriptive writing style in a book aimed for adults.

Thanks! I wasn't aware the reading level scaled up, or of A Cuckoos Calling. I might not get around to them soon, but I'll go ahead and add them to my list.

Speaking of books, I have a book with me at all times. I own a kindle and paperbacks

I have/had a medical condition that affects my vision for almost 3 years I hard a hard time reading anything that wasn't enlarged, and very well lit. I have an Ipad and during that time I downloaded the Kindle ap and Nook ap, I read books pretty much exclusively on my ipad now. I Ipad is about 6 years old and is really only good now for reading books with so that is what I use it for. I love having books at my finger tips with out having to lug them around. I know many people who still love paper books because they love the feel and everything, but I've found I really do prefer reading on a tablet sure it sucks having to charge it and all that stuff but it is just so easy.  I can read normal print now but it still has to be very well let so no more curling up on the couch and reading in a dimly lit room, like I love to do with a book, but I can do that with my tablet.  Plus there is the added bonus that DH doesn't know how many books I've gotten or if I'm reading one of my favorite books, AGAIN.  He doesn't get the love a really good book and how I can read it over and over again. 

@Pasta Jinger responded to an IG comment that she was reading "In Light of Eternity," a biography about a 20th century evangelist. Jeremy's IG also shows he has stacks of (religious) books at their home. I believe she is indeed reading or at least skimming.

Books Jinger should read: 

The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning--it emphasizes mercy over legalism. 

A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans--I am beginning to find Evans irritating in many respects, but this book would give Jinger a different perspective on what the Bible says about being a wife and mother. 

A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McClaren--a work that suggests that the many stripes of Christianity may each offer something good, though none are perfect. 

Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey--Feminism is not the opposite of Christianity. Not at all. 

Sotah by Naomi Ragen--a novel by a Jewish writer about a young woman's escape from/coming to terms with an extreme Orthodox world. 

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee--already mentioned here with good reasons. 

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith--Because your family is never perfect and that's okay. 

The Testament by John Grisham and The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver--Sometimes the mission field isn't all it's cracked up to be. 

I could probably keep going. But I'll stop for now. 

I read The Poisonwood Bible after someone on FJ compared the dad to Derrick, and they were totally right. It wasn't one of my favorite books, but it did have some insightful quotes. And a good lesson on respecting culture.

"he warned mother not to flout gods will by expecting too much of us. 'Sending a girl to college is like pouring water in your shoes' he still loves to say, as often as possible. 'It's hard to say which is worse, seeing it run out and waste the water, or seeing it hold in and wreck the shoes'. And so I shall never have the opportunity to have my leather wrecked by college." -Adah, page 56

"I couldn't step in front of my husband to shelter them from his scorching light. They were expected to look straight at him and go blind" -Orleanna, page 96

"For time and eternity there have been fathers like Nathan who simply can see no way to have a daughter but to own her like a plot of land. To work her, plow her under, rain down a dreadful poison upon her. Miraculously, it causes these girls to grow. They elongate on the pale slender stalks of their longing, like sunflowers with heavy heads. You can shield them with your body and soul, trying to absorb that awful rain, but they'll still move toward him. Without cease, they'll bend to his light. Oh, a wife may revile such a man with every silent curse she knows. But she can't throw stones. A stone would fly straight through him and strike the child made on his image, clipping out an eye or a tongue or an outstretched hand. It's no use. There are no weapons for this fight.  There are countless laws of man and of nature, and gone of these is on your side. Your arms go weak in their sockets, your heart comes up empty. You understand that the thing you love more than this world grew from a devils seed. It was you who let him plant it"
orleanna, page 191

"By then, I was lodged in the heart of darkness, so thoroughly bent yo the shape of marriage I could hardly see any other way to stand. Like Methuselah, I cowered beside my cage, and though my soul hankered after the mountain, I found, like Methuselah, I had no wings' -orleanna, page 201

"Watching my father, I've seen how you can't learn anything when you're trying to look like the smartest person in the room" -Leah, page 229

9 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing it. It looks horrible, and Jeremy's too. 

I am packing for a move, so far books take up 15 boxes!  As a previous poster said they are like old friends, I can let go of everything but them. 

I hope Jinger's mind explodes as she reads, taking in everything she my have missed so far in life. 

In defense of the photo editing...it takes time to learn, not only the editing and cropping but training your eye to see things.  As a former Art Major (a lifetime ago!) I dont think her recent photos are bad at all for an untrained photographer.  She's moving away from the snap shot type photo and trying something she probably considers to be "artsy"  Good for her, maybe she will read some about photography (I wouldn't hold my breath that she take a course!)   I know it doesn't change her world views, but she is spreading her wings a bit--which in time could also open her mind.  I say "go for it Jinge!"  there are no mistakes in art, just happy accidents ;)

Between the title and the first page, I was stunned to first think that Jinger was reading HP, lol. 

Ravenclaw represent!!!!

11 minutes ago, xlurker said:

In defense of the photo editing...it takes time to learn, not only the editing and cropping but training your eye to see things.  As a former Art Major (a lifetime ago!) I dont think her recent photos are bad at all for an untrained photographer.  She's moving away from the snap shot type photo and trying something she probably considers to be "artsy"  Good for her, maybe she will read some about photography (I wouldn't hold my breath that she take a course!)   I know it doesn't change her world views, but she is spreading her wings a bit--which in time could also open her mind.  I say "go for it Jinge!"  there are no mistakes in art, just happy accidents

Yes! Agree 1000% while I'm excited she's book shopping, I love to see that she's experimenting with something that her family has claimed she's an expert at. AND I'm so thankful that she's not adding bible quotes over the images. (I'm an art school grad and even subbed for one of my professors after I graduated).     

6 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

You should try bookcrossing. ;)

8 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I am a member in our local library and I always call it my external book-shelf. I realised that I might have a problem when I started second rows in my shelves at home. But I like it this way. And hey, it's books what I talk about.

Books behind books was how I grew up. I learned from my parents and now I do it. A few weeks ago I walked out of the library with out checking the books. I was quite ashamed and when I found out I went all the way back to take care of them. It is a sickness, but a good one.

1 hour ago, xlurker said:

In defense of the photo editing...it takes time to learn, not only the editing and cropping but training your eye to see things.  As a former Art Major (a lifetime ago!) I dont think her recent photos are bad at all for an untrained photographer.  She's moving away from the snap shot type photo and trying something she probably considers to be "artsy"  Good for her, maybe she will read some about photography (I wouldn't hold my breath that she take a course!)   I know it doesn't change her world views, but she is spreading her wings a bit--which in time could also open her mind.  I say "go for it Jinge!"  there are no mistakes in art, just happy accidents ;)

She's not that untrained though. She took Dullard's engagement photos and is "the family photographer", so I think she can do better than the artsy instagram photos.

I was searching for some of Jinger's photography, and found this case. Was it ever discussed? 

http://www.lisamacphotography.com/jinger-duggar-jill-jess-counting-on-the-morgan-family/

Apparently Jinger wanted to follow a photographer, and it ended up only being a web clip. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived