IGNORED

Olivia of Fresh Modesty Engaged

0 kids n not countin

Well, Princessmahina, you must marry all 100 people now.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, urban teacher said:

Well, Princessmahina, you must marry all 100 people now.

BUT TEH GAYZ

I can't marry someone of the same jinder. It's DEFRAUDING. 

I'll show myself to the prayer closet, where I will meditate deeply on my sins with chocolate cake and Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban. 

• Upvote 8

45 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

BUT TEH GAYZ

I can't marry someone of the same jinder. It's DEFRAUDING. 

I'll show myself to the prayer closet, where I will meditate deeply on my sins with chocolate cake and Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban. 

Harry Potter is WITCHCRAFT! Surely having it in the prayer closet creates a bit of a quandary?

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Harry Potter is WITCHCRAFT! Surely having it in the prayer closet creates a bit of a quandary?

I concur. The only books that should be allowed in the prayer closet are The Holy Bible (KJV only, of course) and Elsie Dinsmore.

Edited by Dreadcrumbs
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

It's um...research. For a blog post. Or a book to be included in one of those homemaking bundles they love so much.

4 hours ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

I concur. The only books that should be allowed in the prayer closet are The Holy Bible (KJV only, of course) and Elsie Dinsmore.

Gag me with a spoon.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

It's um...research. For a blog post. Or a book to be included in one of those homemaking bundles they love so much.

Fair enough. You're already in the prayer closet so can repent for your sin. 

• Upvote 1

Huh. I didn't even know I needed something called a "MiracleFold", and now I want one.

Olivia's registry is pretty neutral. Other than the Bates girls, that seems to be the norm for recent fundy tastes, though. Kennedy Decker and Alyssa Campana both registered for a sea of white and gray in classic shapes. I think Kennedy had some black stuff thrown in for good measure. Registries like this are really sensible, but they kind of seem bland and impersonal to me.  That's one of the things I appreciate about Martha Morton's little trailer. It's a screaming shade of sky blue on the inside, which seems to be a favorite color of hers. Even with her basic white dishes and plain furnishings, it still looks personal.

• Upvote 4

Just two 5-piece silverware sets? Oh, honey. That is not enough. What if guests come to eat? What if hubby takes the silverware to work and accidentally throws away a fork? Hope her guests are smart enough to see that and buy her several extra sets.

• Upvote 3

I thought it was odd she requested 12 plates, bowls, etc but only two sets of silverware. I agree with the assessment that it seems bland. Lots of taupe, linen, and white. My taste isn't as colorful as Alyssa's, but I think I would want a little more than neutrals.

I like that canopy though.

Very modest registry compared to the famous fundies we snark on. OXO makes quality & affordable merchandise. It's nice to see it on their list. I'm surprised to see linens for only a twin and full/queen. I can't imagine the twin being for a guest room.

1 hour ago, Geechee Girl said:

Very modest registry compared to the famous fundies we snark on. OXO makes quality & affordable merchandise. It's nice to see it on their list. I'm surprised to see linens for only a twin and full/queen. I can't imagine the twin being for a guest room.

She will probably take her bed (which is a twin) with her and use it for family/friends who are visiting, or for the inevitable upcoming child. She currently shares a room with her sister Willa, and as far as I know, Willa still preferentially sleeps in a hammock. Her parents won't have more children due to her mother's health, so they probably won't need her bed.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Olivia just posted about what it's like to be engaged...

A few highlights:

her engagement ring matches her new Goodwill shoes

her registry was well researched to meet her standards (ethical, USA-made, eco-friendly, organic, etc)

she's sewing her bridesmaids dresses out of gold sequin fabric + she's sewing her wedding dress

her neck aches from leaning over the car console so much #engagementprobs

she cooked 30 freezer meals for him just because

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry but if liking actual color (instead of 50 shades of beige) makes me immature then I'll wear it on my sleeve.  I can't stand beige, brown, olive, sage, mustard, etc.  It seems like these neutral registries were something out of a generic magazine and have no character.  There's nothing wrong with someone liking actual color.  There's even nothing wrong with hot pink and malibu blue as your wedding colors.

The registries that I'll snark on are the ones that are downright greedy (no Bates girl was like this nor is Olivia).  If you're asking for iPads, computers, guns, as well as 50 sets of bedding.  The Duggar girls were greedy in their registries and I hope Jinger doesn't follow suit.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm sorry but if liking actual color (instead of 50 shades of beige) makes me immature then I'll wear it on my sleeve.  I can't stand beige, brown, olive, sage, mustard, etc.  It seems like these neutral registries were something out of a generic magazine and have no character.  There's nothing wrong with someone liking actual color.  There's even nothing wrong with hot pink and malibu blue as your wedding colors.

The registries that I'll snark on are the ones that are downright greedy (no Bates girl was like this nor is Olivia).  If you're asking for iPads, computers, guns, as well as 50 sets of bedding.  The Duggar girls were greedy in their registries and I hope Jinger doesn't follow suit.

I don't know. The Bates family did their own fair share of grifting at the weddings. Passing around a collection plate for the honeymoon when guests (many of whom were poor with eleventy million children) had already paid to be there and give the couples gifts? Tacky.  

I actually think Olivia's registry is a bit too modest, and she needs to add a bit more (or at least greater quantities of things like towels and silverware). When you haven't lived on your own before, you don't always know what you'll need or how much.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, 16strong said:

I don't know. The Bates family did their own fair share of grifting at the weddings. Passing around a collection plate for the honeymoon when guests (many of whom were poor with eleventy million children) had already paid to be there and give the couples gifts? Tacky.  

I actually think Olivia's registry is a bit too modest, and she needs to add a bit more (or at least greater quantities of things like towels and silverware). When you haven't lived on your own before, you don't always know what you'll need or how much.

I'm not disagreeing about the grifting at the weddings and the collection plate, Lawson selling CDs, etc.  But as far as I know all that grifting only happened at wedding #1 (Erin) and I haven't seen evidence of grifting at the other 3 (I could be wrong).  But I suppose arranging for 3 daughters' weddings to be televised on 3 different networks is in itself grifting.

But in terms of the registries themselves, the Duggar girls were quite greedy (especially Jessa).

I've actually seen much tackier at weddings when it is common for guests to subsidize lavish affairs by 'covering your plate.'

As far as Olivia goes-- yes she needs more sets of things like silverware and towels.  Unless she's previously gotten a super deal on them and held onto things (I did this when I worked at a big box store). 

• Upvote 2

There is one, ONE!!!, muffin pan on her registry.  Now, maybe she does already have one of the same and likes it.  I dunno though, seems like she's only planning on making 12 muffins or cupcakes at a time and that's super fucking shady.  There's also only one 9" round cake pan, and those you also get in pairs.  I (obviously) agree, there is not enough stuff on her registry.  

It has occurred to me that I can't see her dishes or silverware at all on the registry.  Does she have some corningware and pots and pans that someone else can see?

• Upvote 5

If my headship told me e v e r y t h i n g that came into his head while we were engaged I would have suffocated him with a pillow. There would be no tension I guess, but he'd be dead and I'd in be gaol. I love the man and have loved him for two decades but I don't need to know everything in anyone's head. Not when we were engaged and not now. It'd be like being engaged to a four year old.

I love colour. If other people love neutrals then 50 shade of beige (that made me laugh) it up but they're sleep inducing to me.  I'd want to let the Colour Kittens loose in that registry.

• Upvote 3

50 shades of beige made me laugh!

Personally, I prefer my color as accents. My dishes are plain white but placemats and napkins are bold. My general rule is that things I keep for a long time  (i.e., expensive to replace) are more neutral in color and I get accent pieces in color. 

My couch is boring beige but the throw pillows are blazing red and gold. When I get tired of the pillows I can cheaply and easily update the look. 

• Upvote 8

8 hours ago, mallallory said:

There is one, ONE!!!, muffin pan on her registry.  Now, maybe she does already have one of the same and likes it.  I dunno though, seems like she's only planning on making 12 muffins or cupcakes at a time and that's super fucking shady.  There's also only one 9" round cake pan, and those you also get in pairs.  I (obviously) agree, there is not enough stuff on her registry.  

It has occurred to me that I can't see her dishes or silverware at all on the registry.  Does she have some corningware and pots and pans that someone else can see?

I'm assuming (or hoping, I guess) that she already has a few things. I still live with my parents, but I have a couple pots, a rolling pin, pot holders, etc. I'll still have to register for some things, but my kitchen list may look a little scanty because I've picked some stuff up at estate sales.

And if that's not the case with Olivia, then she's going to have a difficult time when she goes to bake a cake or cupcakes.

2 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

I'm assuming (or hoping, I guess) that she already has a few things. I still live with my parents, but I have a couple pots, a rolling pin, pot holders, etc. I'll still have to register for some things, but my kitchen list may look a little scanty because I've picked some stuff up at estate sales.

And if that's not the case with Olivia, then she's going to have a difficult time when she goes to bake a cake or cupcakes.

Goodness I hope so.  I lived with my parents before getting married too, and I also had some "hope chest" stuff, but I still put a lot more than that on my registry.  As far as I can see she has no measuring implements, no cookware, very little bakeware, no serving pieces nor utensils, and I can't see her Corelle set or silverware.  Maybe bbb is glitching for me.  Then again, does her fiance live on his own already?  Maybe he has all this stuff. 

• Upvote 1