IGNORED

Olivia of Fresh Modesty Engaged

0 kids n not countin

38 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

New post on her IG with a better shot of the top of the dress. It looks okay, although the fabric seems kind of bulky. Interested to see a full-length shot.

It actually looks better than I thought it would. And I was starting to wonder if she ever really got married, it's been a while and hardly any pictures! Can't believe the wedding photographer spent that much time on them, it's pretty common to at least get a couple of photos pretty quick. 

The wedding photographer posted this on her IG. Still not a good picture of the dress though.

Edited by wikinggirl
to fix something, posted a little too fast.

21 hours ago, alba said:

And Sperrys aren't cheap enough, in terms of cost and quality, to justify replacing them so soon.

I got my (non-glittery) Sperrys in April 2014. They're my go-to shoe from around March to October and I think I can eke at least one more summer out of them before they give up the ghost - and this is wearing them ten hours a day, five days a week, six months of the year

I was going to say...my sperrys must be SO 2004 because I'm pretty sure that's about when I got them :pb_lol: I'd buy glitter ones now if I found them cheap enough.

I don't get the gun thing either. Yes, there have been bad things to happen in churches (the murder of George Tiller and the Charleston shooting come to mind), but I can't imagine a situation where that type of panic would be mitigated by adding more guns. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, slickcat79 said:

I was going to say...my sperrys must be SO 2004 because I'm pretty sure that's about when I got them :pb_lol: I'd buy glitter ones now if I found them cheap enough.

I don't get the gun thing either. Yes, there have been bad things to happen in churches (the murder of George Tiller and the Charleston shooting come to mind), but I can't imagine a situation where that type of panic would be mitigated by adding more guns. 

that's what I've been thinking.  after The Pulse shooting, the Orange Monster and some other dumb-asses said there would have been fewer casualties if the patrons were armed.  but let's think that through--people in a crowded dimly-lit room, rightfully panic-stricken, shooting in multiple directions.  I really don't think that would have made things better.  please know that I'm not trying to minimize or be critical of real tragedies; I just think that if everyone has a gun, it's far too easy to turn into a free-for-all and get potentially worse. (and I'm probably not articulating myself very well here; please forgive me for that)

no one at my place of employment is armed, but that won't stop someone to come in and start shooting.  and if it happened, sure one person might end up being the hero, but honestly, what are the chances?  victims are going about their business at work, church, or the grocery store, and are completely caught off-guard.  in less than a second, they'd need to get their bearings and make assessments.  can everyone with a gun really do that without firing randomly?  yes, some can, but you're still going to have hotheads who just point and shoot.  and so the big dilemma is, where do we draw the line?

on a lighter note, I had no idea until today what Glitter Sperrys are (had to google them).  Sorry, Olivia, I'm just not trendy.  I'm sticking with my ballet flats from Payless.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

New post on her IG with a better shot of the top of the dress. It looks okay, although the fabric seems kind of bulky. Interested to see a full-length shot.

That lace is gorgeous! I also adore from her IG that long lacey skirt. The outfits I could make with that!

I can definitively say, as one who worked the Pulse shooting...a small handgun like what Olivia carries wouldn't have done a whit of good.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, I love Pringles said:

Thank you! My style isn't boring but its definitely not.....tame? I'm into Mori Kei XD. I'm off to scope out her clothes. 

OT: Mori, YES! That look is everything.

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

OT: Mori, YES! That look is everything.

I tumblr and instagram my mori outfits lol. I love it so damn much

2 hours ago, I love Pringles said:

I tumblr and instagram my mori outfits lol. I love it so damn much

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I had to google Mori. I didn't know what it was called, but I love that look! I'm jealous, as I'm much too fat now to pull that off. 

18 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Full-length shot on her IG. Sounds like she's been reading here; her caption is very defensive.

Oh yeah. Quite defensive! I'm glad she liked the dress. The fabric is nice... And that's all I'll say. 

Eta: I just took another look and I'm confused about where the waist hits. There are actually drop-waisted wedding dresses out there that look nice, but the waist is usually a lot lower. (Think almost a mermaid silhouette.) The waist on this dress is just a few inches below her natural waist so it just looks poorly proportioned.

Edited by ladyamylynn
Thoughts
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Oh yeah. Quite defensive! I'm glad she liked the dress. The fabric is nice... And that's all I'll say. 

Eta: I just took another look and I'm confused about where the waist hits. There are actually drop-waisted wedding dresses out there that look nice, but the waist is usually a lot lower. (Think almost a mermaid silhouette.) The waist on this dress is just a few inches below her natural waist so it just looks poorly proportioned.

Seems like that waist-line has worked for her in the past, i've looked through her outfit pics and she has fashioned some great looking dresses and what not. 

This however, makes her look like a child in a dress that is clearly too big for her. I get the modesty thing, but it is BAGGY and BULKY. I'm sorry, the fabric and lace is pretty though.

I sense a huge amount of defensiveness in her caption, and that may partly be frustration with herself, since she made the decision to make her own.
Maybe ran out of time and couldn't get one fitted?
Maybe, since she made such a big song and dance about making her own dress, it would make her look foolish and silly if she gave up on a project that clearly was a bit much for her, since she had no trouble with the bridesmaids dresses, finished them up real quick and then lost her damn mind when it came to her own dress. Which is understandable, it is a huge amount of pressure she put on herself.

Especially since the whole wedding thing is supposed to be the greatest most amazing sacred incredible day of her life?  Why add even MORE stress on yourself by announcing your going to make your own wedding dress in just a few short months????

Because you have something to prove. To her family, to Calvin, to Calvin's family, to her new church family, i mean it goes on and on.
Gotta be a good little seamstress right???

And i'm sorry, that drop waist looks terrible. I think it often works when the dress is either more fitted (she wouldn't because of her modesty standards) or there is a clear pattern and a color other than bright white to distract from it.

But i will applaud her success in blog/fashion/business in the fundie world, she has some skills and a means of producing an income, should that become necessary.
Really get the sense from her that she is determined to be a caricature of this ideal woman/wife/mother that she has produced and created in her head, and nothing is going to deter from that.
We'll see where she is when the newlywed bliss has worn off a bit, she's organized and re-organized and re-re-organized their "love nest", made as many meals as she can think of and taken the same pictures over and over,  and babies come into the picture.
I'm sure Calvin will see a whole other side of sweet, thoughtful, eco-friendly, wifely, godly Olivia. *smile*

• Upvote 6

And apologies for the long rant about Olivia, i've been following her for awhile, and finally had to say something!!

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Feministe9000 said:

Seems like that waist-line has worked for her in the past, i've looked through her outfit pics and she has fashioned some great looking dresses and what not. 

I agree, but they have all been shorter and more fitted. This dress just didn't work. The lace is pretty, but that waist... just no. Like @ladyamylynnsaid, the waist just hits her weird. I think it would look so nice higher up.

• Upvote 2

That dress is just a mess, lil Olivia. Nobody would care except for your hobby of literally telling other people how to dress and live. 

Ah, well.  Not as bad of a "WHOA, OUT OF TOUCH" moment as naming your kid Spurgeon, just a bit chuckle worthy to me. 

• Upvote 2

I get what she's saying about it not being the most flattering waistline on her (because, let's face it, it's not). But I liked how she said that it was **her** and that it was what made her feel beautiful. Which, really, is kind of the point. I've seen a number of women wear unflattering and straight up ugly dresses to their wedding, but they felt beautiful and that's what mattered.

• Upvote 13

I am confused: how can you feel pretty in something that you realize does not look good on you? Wouldn't it be the objective to look as nice as possible, especially on your wedding?

And I still don't like the dress.  The lace is pretty but the cut........

• Upvote 2

I am confused: how can you feel pretty in something that you realize does not look good on you? Wouldn't it be the objective to look as nice as possible, especially on your wedding?

And I still don't like the dress.  The lace is pretty but the cut........

Well, in Olivia's case there's sentiment attached to it from her childhood playing dress up (she says her favourite dress was a sequined 80s monstrosity with a drop waist), so I can understand how she feels pretty in it even though she thinks other styles are more flattering.
  • Upvote 1

I just want to hike that waistline up or just make the whole thing princess-seamed, but the fabric is lovely and the rest of the dress's construction is very nice. I get why she wanted the drop waist, and it's not the worst way to pay tribute to the 80s, but it's just not working for her or for me. But the fabric is lovely and the dress is styled well. Good for her.

• Upvote 1

I suppose a lot of her defensiveness abotu the dress comes from the fact she knows it's not good, but sewing is her THING. the bridesmaids' dresses are so good (and in such a tricky fabric too!) that the wedding dress just looks even worse in comparison... 

• Upvote 6

On 10/4/2016 at 4:05 PM, freejugar said:

She captioned a long denim skirt with "flattering siloutte" on instagram.

:dontgetit:

Right? It's not impossible to have an actual flattering silhouette with a denim skirt, but it would have to actually have a shape. Those are basically just triangles that drag the ground. 

I think all the wedding dresses are well-sewn but I'm not really a fan of anything else about them. Entire dresses made of gold sequins? :pb_eek: She really was channeling the 80s...

I feel sort of guilty picking apart the dress... sewing is clearly HER thing and I seriously think she wasn't thrilled with the results, so I feel for her a bit there.

That said.... the drop waist doesn't even bother me that much. I think a flowy-er fabric would have been nicer, or a longer skirt. But the train isn't bad, nor the sleeves. To me, it's just the front-and-center part that is blah.

I'm sure that if she'd given herself more time to plan and make it, it could have been great.

• Upvote 2