IGNORED

Olivia of Fresh Modesty Engaged

0 kids n not countin

1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

The skirt on the dress looks lovely, but I'm not a fan of the bodice. It looks almost...vest like. Not a fan. 

And I can't believe she's taking Plexus for Lyme disease. I get that medical care is expensive in this country, but there are clinics for people who can't afford a hospital. There's no need to resort to quackery. And if she's doing it out of choice and my perceived necessity....then it's just plain moronic. 

I dunno if Olivia is as fundie as some of the people we discuss here- fundie lite at most- but fundies (ok plus others) have form for shilling crap. Tonya Ferguson is travelling the USA in an RV to shill DoTERRA, Jill Rodrigues is reportedly shilling Plexus now... and so on. Erika Shupe mentions how she takes the kids to a chiropractor (as you likely know!). What kind of sane person looks at their ill child and goes "yes, the way to cure this is to get their spine manipulated"??? Does. Not. Compute. Like when Riley gouged his soft palate with a dowelling rod or something and they went to the chiro instead of the ER. ARGHARGHARGH NO. If I had spine or neck problems, maybe I'd go, but even then only after going to a GP first maybe.

Edited by mango_fandango

I am so happy to have discovered that she has instagram too, some of the comments are gold.

Yikes that dress. The cut of that dress is so middle aged, like someone else before pointed out. Olivia is very slender and the dress looks so bulky around her bust and waist...almost makes her look like she is expecting. I was also surprised she did absolutely nothing with her hair as well. 

Anyway my favorite thing is her latest instagram post where she talks about doing their laundry and how she gets butterflies every time she switches the loads :') Was tempted to comment that my husband also gets butterflies when he does our laundry but I didn't want to blow her mind about men doing house work and all!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, denimchastityskirt said:

I am so happy to have discovered that she has instagram too, some of the comments are gold.

Yikes that dress. The cut of that dress is so middle aged, like someone else before pointed out. Olivia is very slender and the dress looks so bulky around her bust and waist...almost makes her look like she is expecting. I was also surprised she did absolutely nothing with her hair as well. 

Anyway my favorite thing is her latest instagram post where she talks about doing their laundry and how she gets butterflies every time she switches the loads :') Was tempted to comment that my husband also gets butterflies when he does our laundry but I didn't want to blow her mind about men doing house work and all!

Hahahahaha 100% agree!

also, for anyone who is curious, I was looking through her instagram and the post of her bridal shower at her new church (Calvin's church) in Atlanta.

The pastor who runs the it is Gary DeMar, founder of American Vision.

http://americanvision.org/

I didn't go too deep into the site, but from what I gather on the surface they are very heavy into scripture as a way to live life (very Duggar-ish in that regard), and very anti homosexuality, the usual! lol

I think in the blog post where she announced she was engaged, she mentioned that she and Calvin would discuss his preferences for dress, and how they conducted their courtship etc., so I feel as though there could be many changes to come now they are married. Olivia seems very serious in regard to her belief system, however also very eager to please her new husband, so we'll see.

Is there treatment for chronic Lyme disease after the initial 2-3 weeks antibiotics? I know a couple people who have been struggling for years with it, looking for any treatment even visiting the Mayo clinic.  People resort to things like Plexus because mainstream medical doesn't have a treatment.  

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I dunno if Olivia is as fundie as some of the people we discuss here- fundie lite at most- but fundies (ok plus others) have form for shilling crap. Tonya Ferguson is travelling the USA in an RV to shill DoTERRA, Jill Rodrigues is reportedly shilling Plexus now... and so on. Erika Shupe mentions how she takes the kids to a chiropractor (as you likely know!). What kind of sane person looks at their ill child and goes "yes, the way to cure this is to get their spine manipulated"??? Does. Not. Compute. Like when Riley gouged his soft palate with a dowelling rod or something and they went to the chiro instead of the ER. ARGHARGHARGH NO. If I had spine or neck problems, maybe I'd go, but even then only after going to a GP first maybe.

That's a good point, but I'm not sure I'd classify her as fundie light. To me, the courtship, the intense focus on modesty, some of the fundie-looking things I've seen on the blog, and the affiliation with the Botkins says "fundie" to me. 

• Upvote 3

Fair enough. Her blog is about modesty specifically rather than her daily doings, but I guess she'll write about when/if she has children (guessing she will want some). Through what I've gleaned on FJ the term "fundie" can encompass a lot, and she mentions in her about me section that she dances to music with a strong beat and watches mainstream films. (Well she says she loves Letters to Juliet). So I dunno. I don't actually know much abut her/her blog. I'll go look her up a bit more.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, divadivine said:

I'll classify Olivia for you- dipshit douchecanoe with a heaping bucket of asshattery. 

I agree with you, even if it is full of completely hysterical insults.

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Fair enough. Her blog is about modesty specifically rather than her daily doings, but I guess she'll write about when/if she has children (guessing she will want some). Through what I've gleaned on FJ the term "fundie" can encompass a lot, and she mentions in her about me section that she dances to music with a strong beat and watches mainstream films. (Well she says she loves Letters to Juliet). So I dunno. I don't actually know much abut her/her blog. I'll go look her up a bit more.

I think this is the issue with a lot of these fundie people. I used to think they were all harmless, because okay, you wear a skirt and love to be SAHMs, blah blah blah, but that's kind of what's dangerous, right? She's so cute, kind of has her own support system with this "fashion line," she listens to music, watches rom coms like me. But really she sugar coats the ideas that she actually thinks you're going to hell if you're gay or you don't want kids or you're a plethora of things that don't fit into her little notion of heavenly. 

And also fuck these people. You don't get to have it both ways, watching movies like "Letters to Juliet" that, no matter how cutesy and clean the movie may be, no doubt had many different people of different faiths and backgrounds that you don't approve of working on it, and no doubt some LBGTQA people are included in that mix. You can't damn someone to hell and then reap the benefits of their hard work! Sorry. That took a turn, but it just infuriates me. 

All this is why I agree that she is a dipshit douchecanoe with a heaping bucket of asshattery, like all the rest of these people.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Through what I've gleaned on FJ the term "fundie" can encompass a lot, and she mentions in her about me section that she dances to music with a strong beat and watches mainstream films. (Well she says she loves Letters to Juliet). So I dunno. I don't actually know much abut her/her blog. I'll go look her up a bit more.

Yes. :)

Not all Fundies are IBLP or IFB, dress like Duggars/Bateses circa 2007, and eschew secular amusements to that extent.  

My own interpretation of Christian Fundie, and the way many of us use it on FJ, is belonging to the Christian Patriarchal Movement with its obsession with the Great Commission.  Quiverfull is a subset but crosses petty doctrinal differences.   

The Olivia-types and (former and not lamented) Vision Forum crowd can appear at first to look more mainstream in their dress and outlook on music and alcohol.  They tend to be Calvinist-types not Fundie Baptist - but scratch them and the Patriarchy and female submission is there. In spades. 

If you want to dig a little deeper into the Christian Patriarchal Movement - the Botkin threads and the DPIAT and Vision Forum threads are available.  Take a look at Doug Wilson and the KInists too.  That's for starters.

Also prepare to vomit.

Edited by Palimpsest
grammar
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Yes. :)

Not all Fundies are IBLP or IFB, dress like Duggars/Bateses circa 2007, and eschew secular amusements to that extent.  

My own interpretation of Christian Fundie, and the way many of us use it on FJ, is belonging to the Christian Patriarchal Movement with its obsession with the Great Commission.  Quiverfull is a subset but crosses petty doctrinal differences.   

The Olivia-types and (former and not lamented) Vision Forum crowd can appear at first to look more mainstream in their dress and outlook on music and alcohol.  They tend to be Calvinist-types not Fundie Baptist - but scratch them and the Patriarchy and female submission is there. In spades. 

If you want to dig a little deeper into the Christian Patriarchal Movement - the Botkin threads and the DPIAT and Vision Forum threads are available.  Take a look at Doug Wilson and the KInists too.  That's for starters.

Also prepare to vomit.

I would add, search for threads concerning Kim and the Coghlan family at Life In A Shoe or LIAS for more information about a stealth fundie Calvinist family.

• Upvote 1

Since I clearly have nothing better to do in the middle of the night than do look through Olivia's instagram (thank you sinuses!), I think I found the pattern she used for her wedding dress. She said it was a pattern she has used before, so I think it's the same as this dress. (Simplicity 1103)

Skjermbilde 2016-09-03 kl. 08.12.16.png

Edited by wikinggirl
Wowsa! That picture was big, edited for resizing.
  • Upvote 2

That looks right, @wikinggirl! I hate the way and the place the bodice joins the skirt. Looks like she's been sawn in half like a magician's assistant.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, bal maiden said:

That looks right, @wikinggirl! I hate the way and the place the bodice joins the skirt. Looks like she's been sawn in half like a magician's assistant.

I agree. It kinda works on the blue dress because the skirt is shorter, but on the wedding dress it just looks wrong. I think a shorter bodice would look a lot better, because then you would have had a fuller skirt. She has the body to pull this one of, but it looks of to me to join the bodice and the skirt so low. 

Well, her wedding dress turned out to be very.....plain.

On 8/31/2016 at 9:27 AM, hollyandivy said:

Absolutely hate her dress! I was expecting soon much more from her. This just looks like she sewed a dress just so she would have something to cover her body - never mind what it looks like

I guess that's what happens when you want to sew your wedding in dress in just a few weeks!

3 hours ago, meep said:

Well, her wedding dress turned out to be very.....plain.

I guess that's what happens when you want to sew your wedding in dress in just a few weeks!

Oh, perish the thought!  People actually do that?  How very sinful of them!  Such dreadful crimes against wedding fashion!

Seriously. If sewing her own wedding dress made her happy, if she felt pretty and comfortable in her dress, and she enjoyed her wedding day - well good for her!  I think she looked lovely, but apparently not fashionable enough for some.

She's not on a reality show, after all, and petty snark about other people's wedding dresses isn't very attractive.

Can we focus on the nasty Fundie beliefs and not on Olivia's criminally "plain" wedding dress, please?

• Upvote 6

I dunno.  I'd rather have a hand-sewn, unique dress like Olivia's than the spate of pouffy, sleeveless monstrosities that every bride seems to wear post-2000.

• Upvote 5

Yeah, clothing is the entire point of her blog, so I think snarking on her clothing is appropriate within reason. And I didn't take meep's statement to mean one shouldn't sew one's own wedding dress, but rather that this appears to have been a rush job.

• Upvote 8

On 9/3/2016 at 6:40 PM, Palimpsest said:

Oh, perish the thought!  People actually do that?  How very sinful of them!  Such dreadful crimes against wedding fashion!

Seriously. If sewing her own wedding dress made her happy, if she felt pretty and comfortable in her dress, and she enjoyed her wedding day - well good for her!  I think she looked lovely, but apparently not fashionable enough for some.

She's not on a reality show, after all, and petty snark about other people's wedding dresses isn't very attractive.

Can we focus on the nasty Fundie beliefs and not on Olivia's criminally "plain" wedding dress, please?

I meant sewing it in a few weeks, not her sewing it in general! Sorry, I am a snarky person! However....you do realize you are asking me to tone down the snark.....ON A SNARK FORUM?!?!?! ;):P 

• Upvote 7

On September 3, 2016 at 7:40 PM, Palimpsest said:

Sorry Miss P, but the whole point of Olivia is to make fun of her fashion sense. She is a Jesus fashion blogger. That is why she exists. 

• Upvote 9

Exactly. The majority of Olivia's posts are about fashion, and even if she does mention an event she usually posts about what she's been wearing.

Slight aside, I was looking at a post where she did mention why church was important to her, and one of the commenters was like "He (obv God) has done so much for us, He really doesn't demand much in return." Umm, yes He does. According to fundies you are supposed to dedicate your entire lives to Him. That's an awful lot IMO. 

She also mentioned in the body of the post about how she hated missing the service even if she was ill, and one person wrote about how "topsy-turvy tum tums" are crap. Topsy. Turvy. Tum. Tums. WTF. This is a grown-ass woman addressing another grown ass woman. Not a mother speaking to her toddler.

• Upvote 4

I was really hoping/expecting that Olivia was going to trot out a bridal version of the oft-mentioned navy blue stretch-lace dress that she made several years ago. Especially after the JoAnne's "OMG it's THE LACE" post. The dress she ultimately created is probably very nicely constructed and well-made, but it looks utterly drab in that grainy IG photo. My guess is that she just liked that particular picture of them as a couple, and posted it without paying much attention to the way the dress looked. It's also possible that the twirling and dancing motions caused it to pull away from her body in an unflattering way.

But, I won't be terribly shocked if it turns out she decided to go full-frumper for her debut as a Married Helpmeet. Olivia seems to be desperate to subsume herself in the role of Wifey, and she may be leaving her personal aesthetics at the door to please Calvin.

As to her taste and prior manner of dressing, no, she isn't particularly innovative or "fresh" by normal teen/young woman standards, but then. her intended audience has never been the average "worldly" teen/young woman. I remember ye olden days of the blog, when she vowed to never wear long denim skirts because she personally saw them as a frumpy crutch of an uninspired wardrobe. (I paraphrase, of course.) Time passed, and she not only embraced them, she built a "brand" around them. Wearing a slightly tailored tee-shirt with a long denim skirt isn't radical by anyone's standards, but accessorizing the same with a belt, and paying attention to things like cut and color actually WERE fairly unusual by fundy blogging tradition a decade ago. A lot of the modest fashion blogging community grew up with and around Olivia's time simply because there wasn't much to inspire them otherwise. Their options were basically to go full-vintage, or stfu. Think back to the faux-pioneer homemade dresses the Bates' girls wore in the early days, and the horribly dated hairstyles and unisex golf shirts the Duggars favored. 

It's easy to judge Olivia's fashion sense by the standards of mainstream feminine style (i'm guilty of it), but compared to what other girls her age were wearing in the fundy world 10 years ago, she was actually kind of unique.

• Upvote 7

I don't think Olivia is going to leave the blogging world or change her brand. She is just going to move on to the traditional next step of making it an early wifey homemaker blog to inspire the childults. Besides, the blog is monetized. She won't want to get up the chance at cash or at sanctimony.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

cash or sanctimony

Sancti-money. 

I crack myself up...and I've found my new location.

:evil-laugh:

I noticed the wedding dress seems to follow another dress that has a bit of a drop-waist pattern. That may be why it looks a bit odd to me. I don't mind drop-waist dresses if they're short, but I'm not wild about them in ball-gown long form.

• Upvote 1

Sancti-money. 

I crack myself up...and I've found my new location.

:evil-laugh:

I noticed the wedding dress seems to follow another dress that has a bit of a drop-waist pattern. That may be why it looks a bit odd to me. I don't mind drop-waist dresses if they're short, but I'm not wild about them in ball-gown long form.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. The bodice-to-skirt proportion looked a little "off". I'm not a fan, personally, but maybe that was the look Olivia was going for.
  • Upvote 2