IGNORED

Olivia of Fresh Modesty Engaged

0 kids n not countin

7 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

But, I won't be terribly shocked if it turns out she decided to go full-frumper for her debut as a Married Helpmeet. Olivia seems to be desperate to subsume herself in the role of Wifey, and she may be leaving her personal aesthetics at the door to please Calvin.

Just a gut feeling, but I think Calvin likes that he scored the "hot fundie girl" and so won't want her to become too frumpy so she still looks good on his arm (not that he doesn't like her for other reasons as well). Plus, he's fairly well put together for a fundie (not pleated front khaki pants at least).

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

Just a gut feeling, but I think Calvin likes that he scored the "hot fundie girl" and so won't want her to become too frumpy so she still looks good on his arm (not that he doesn't like her for other reasons as well). Plus, he's fairly well put together for a fundie (not pleated front khaki pants at least).

Since her IG outfits have been pretty typical for the last few months, and Calvin supposedly picked most of them out, I agree. However, she may have a personal notion that post-married life means making a visual distinction in the way she dresses out of respect for her headship. It's happened with other girls of her generation. Time will tell. I hope her style doesn't change too much.

• Upvote 1

She's started a new instagram page for homemaking and cooking. I guess being married makes you an expert in the domestic arts, just like how sharing a closet with your sister makes you a fashion authority. Fresh_conscious_home

• Upvote 2

She's started a new instagram page for homemaking and cooking. I guess being married makes you an expert in the domestic arts, just like how sharing a closet with your sister makes you a fashion authority. Fresh_conscious_home

I quite like her photography style, but I love how her bio says "newlywed budget" but her home has at least two bathrooms. Umm, Mr Alba and I are newlyweds (after living in SIN for five years), we both have professional careers and we have one bathroom.

On a side note, does anyone else find her obsession with USA-made goods a bit weird? I mean, I am totally on board with being ethical and conscientious about your purchases and choosing to buy things produced in countries with solid labour laws, but the way she talks about it it comes across like she thinks the USA is the only country with labour legislation (ironic, considering it's one of the less employee-friendly wealthy nations; I was shocked when a friend in MN told me her company offers "generous" maternity leave - a whole 4 months! Unpaid!).

That said, it's not altogether surprising; a lot of fundies have a quite outspoken belief that the US is uniquely blessed and Americans uniquely fortunate.
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, alba said:

On a side note, does anyone else find her obsession with USA-made goods a bit weird? I mean, I am totally on board with being ethical and conscientious about your purchases and choosing to buy things produced in countries with solid labour laws, but the way she talks about it it comes across like she thinks the USA is the only country with labour legislation (ironic, considering it's one of the less employee-friendly wealthy nations; I was shocked when a friend in MN told me her company offers "generous" maternity leave - a whole 4 months! Unpaid!).

That said, it's not altogether surprising; a lot of fundies have a quite outspoken belief that the US is uniquely blessed and Americans uniquely fortunate.

I try to buy American myself, actually. For me it's about looking for the union label and patronizing businesses that I know are accountable to the laws of my own country. I guess it's not as common an ethical standard as it used to be, but some of us still do it!

I'm kind of critical about Olivia's general brand but I do respect some of her consumer ethics (and I agree, the photos on her new page are pretty good)

Edited by NachosFlandersStyle
  • Upvote 7

I am more surprised about that she's wearing a gun (concealed, but still) to church! 

Idk, as a Norwegian it's just so weird for me that a young 20 something girl feels like she has to carry a gun everywhere. 

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

I am more surprised about that she's wearing a gun (concealed, but still) to church! 

Idk, as a Norwegian it's just so weird for me that a young 20 something girl feels like she has to carry a gun everywhere. 

Same here, man. What the heck does she think will happen at church? If you feel like you need to carry a gun with you when you go out.... I just don't think I'll ever be able to understand the gun mentality.

• Upvote 4

I try to buy American myself, actually. For me it's about looking for the union label and patronizing businesses that I know are accountable to the laws of my own country. I guess it's not as common an ethical standard as it used to be, but some of us still do it!

I'm kind of critical about Olivia's general brand but I do respect some of her consumer ethics (and I agree, the photos on her new page are pretty good)

Ahhh, but does "USA-made make [you] giddy"? [emoji14]

Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic Olivia promotes ethical fashion and refusing to support sweat shops. The rub for me is that as a consumer I trust American labour laws less than many other developed countries. I would certainly buy USA-made over Bagladeshi-sweatshop-made, and I can understand Americans using the "made in USA" label as a straightforward way of determining the rights of the workers who made it. But Olivia's brand is built around ethically-produced fashion, and so from her I would expect a more in-depth approach, like acknowledging that "made in the USA" doesn't necessarily mean the cotton was picked in the US, and researching labour laws in other countries so she could share with her readers other good sources of clothing, rather than treating American-made as the be-all end-all of ethical fashion.

Question for you: when you say "union label" do you mean a label that tells you the workers are unionised? What does that entail in the US?
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Same here, man. What the heck does she think will happen at church? If you feel like you need to carry a gun with you when you go out.... I just don't think I'll ever be able to understand the gun mentality.

Not to be "that person," but horrible things do happen at church. This happened near where I live. http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/08/church.shooting/ ***

That said, I live in one of the most dangerous parts of the country and have never carried a weapon. The most I have ever carried was dog spray when I walked early in the morning -- and that was because I kept encountering a particularly nasty tempered St. Bernard (of all things!!!!), whose owner refused to keep in their yard, and no matter how much I changed my route, that thing kept finding me and following me, menacing me a good half mile before it would get bored. 

*** ETA: I am NOT justifying her carrying a weapon to church, btw. I am personally really freaking uncomfortable with all these undertrained, overly confident people out there brandishing weapons and dreaming of the day they get to be a "good guy with a gun."

Edited by polecat
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, alba said:

Question for you: when you say "union label" do you mean a label that tells you the workers are unionised? What does that entail in the US?

Yes. Many employers in the US have gone to great lengths to bust up union activity in their workforce, and the result is, well... if you're European I'm sure you have plenty of thoughts about American capitalist excesses. I'd like to give my business to companies that have resisted that trend. The labor movement pushes for shoppers to "buy union" in order to show companies that screwing your workers isn't necessarily a good business decision.

And you mention that you would more trust items made in other developed countries, but when I'm out shopping I almost never see "made in Germany" or "Made in Canada." It's all Bangladesh, Vietnam, China.

• Upvote 4

Yes. Many employers in the US have gone to great lengths to bust up union activity in their workforce, and the result is, well... if you're European I'm sure you have plenty of thoughts about American capitalist excesses. I'd like to give my business to companies that have resisted that trend. The labor movement pushes for shoppers to "buy union" in order to show companies that screwing your workers isn't necessarily a good business decision.

And you mention that you would more trust items made in other developed countries, but when I'm out shopping I almost never see "made in Germany" or "Made in Canada." It's all Bangladesh, Vietnam, China.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation of the union label. It's great that you have that label to help consumers make that kind of choice.

I would argue that's a bit different from Olivia's "Buy American", though, in that you're specifically throwing your support behind labour unions, rather than treating it like a binary American-made vs sweatshop thing, although I suppose if the US isn't really importing goods from Canada/Europe it maybe is a binary thing (although I think Olivia would love Polish online clothing stores, which tend to be quite inexpensive due to the lower cost of living, but still subject to EU employment laws, especially as she looks a little well-endowed in the chest and there are some fantastic Polish shops for slender, big-busted women).
  • Upvote 1

On 9/14/2016 at 11:25 PM, wikinggirl said:

I really really really wanted to write on that post "I am so sorry you are living in an area where you feel you must carry a gun to church". But I decided I didn't want to deal with the backlash.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Zoom said:

I really really really wanted to write on that post "I am so sorry you are living in an area where you feel you must carry a gun to church". But I decided I didn't want to deal with the backlash.

Ooh, yeah, I can see how that would make some people mad on her post. I don't really see why she feels that need though. I don't live that far from her, and I've never felt the need to take more than my keys and a tithe when I can afford it to church. 

• 3 weeks later...

I checked out Oliva's Instagram. One photo (not super close) of her dress. And this puke worthy entry about laundry- 

"I shared a closet with my sisters for about a decade, so it's not new for me to organize my things alongside someone else's. But doing his laundry and my laundry together? I get butterflies every time I switch the loads." 

OMG... Is she for real? Butterflies from doing your laundry together?

Any guesses as to when she will announce their first blessing? 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, divadivine said:

I checked out Oliva's Instagram. One photo (not super close) of her dress. And this puke worthy entry about laundry- 

"I shared a closet with my sisters for about a decade, so it's not new for me to organize my things alongside someone else's. But doing his laundry and my laundry together? I get butterflies every time I switch the loads." 

You know, I have, erm, feelings when I do mine and Mr Alba's laundry together, but they certainly aren't butterflies. More like 'How the hell does one man possess so many socks? And why do they all almost-but-not-quite match?'

FTR, Mr Alba does not expect me to match and fold his socks. Truthfully, he couldn't care less either way. But *I* care, because I have to see them all thrown into the drawer like a fluffy cotton Hydra, so I match and fold his socks along with the rest of the laundry.

In my home, my husband does all the laundry. I asked him if he gets/ever got "butterflies" at seeing our dirty clothes all mixed together. He looked at me like I was crazy and said "no".

However I do have a laundry anecdote. Before we got married, my husband was not one to separate the laundry. So when he took over our joint laundry he threw everything together - including some very fancy very expensive pale pink lingerie of mine and all the black clothes. Not surprisingly the pale pink frilly things came out a dingy dirty dishwater grey. I had spent so much money on the lingerie I could not bear to throw it out. After a few weeks my husband approached me and asked my not to wear the dingy grey lingerie any more as he found it ugly and he asked "why would I ever buy something so dull and grey"... and now  he separates the laundry. 

• Upvote 3

She recently posted that glitter sperrys are "so 2014". I thought that was interesting because her followers are not likely to have the expendable income to truly act on it when a mass-marketed good like glitter sperrys went out of style. Also, sperrys aren't particularly of a design house big enough to have seasons that would matter. It's one of those rules that bloggers impose on themselves and their followers that don't really make sense. Like ok, you say they're out, but your followers need those shoes until they wear out. Meanwhile the actual trends of the season are completely different. She could follow those if she wanted- structured purses, ruffled necklines, etc. Instead, we get a glitter sperrys comment. Just a random observation.

She recently posted that glitter sperrys are "so 2014". I thought that was interesting because her followers are not likely to have the expendable income to truly act on it when a mass-marketed good like glitter sperrys went out of style. Also, sperrys aren't particularly of a design house big enough to have seasons that would matter. It's one of those rules that bloggers impose on themselves and their followers that don't really make sense. Like ok, you say they're out, but your followers need those shoes until they wear out. Meanwhile the actual trends of the season are completely different. She could follow those if she wanted- structured purses, ruffled necklines, etc. Instead, we get a glitter sperrys comment. Just a random observation.

And Sperrys aren't cheap enough, in terms of cost and quality, to justify replacing them so soon.

I got my (non-glittery) Sperrys in April 2014. They're my go-to shoe from around March to October and I think I can eke at least one more summer out of them before they give up the ghost - and this is wearing them ten hours a day, five days a week, six months of the year.
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, browngrl said:

In my home, my husband does all the laundry. I asked him if he gets/ever got "butterflies" at seeing our dirty clothes all mixed together. He looked at me like I was crazy and said "no".

However I do have a laundry anecdote. Before we got married, my husband was not one to separate the laundry. So when he took over our joint laundry he threw everything together - including some very fancy very expensive pale pink lingerie of mine and all the black clothes. Not surprisingly the pale pink frilly things came out a dingy dirty dishwater grey. I had spent so much money on the lingerie I could not bear to throw it out. After a few weeks my husband approached me and asked my not to wear the dingy grey lingerie any more as he found it ugly and he asked "why would I ever buy something so dull and grey"... and now  he separates the laundry. 

My husband did something very similar after we were first married.  He said that he should not do the laundry any more.  I replied he just needed more practice . :my_rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

What is her clothing Instagram? I wanna fall down this rabbit hole lol.

My fashion isn't everyone's fave but I enjoy it lol mine is so far removed from hers that it makes me want to look at hers 

1 hour ago, I love Pringles said:

What is her clothing Instagram? I wanna fall down this rabbit hole lol.

My fashion isn't everyone's fave but I enjoy it lol mine is so far removed from hers that it makes me want to look at hers 

If you type "fresh modesty" into Google it'll come up. It'll say Olivia Williams (@freshmodesty). 

My fashion sense is very boring too. Jeans and t shirt 95% of the time. I too can be weirdly fascinated by fundie fashion. Olivia/Duggar type stuff not so much because it's "modern modest", but there are clothing sites where they sell really modest type stuff- sleeves down to the elbows, ankle length skirt only etc. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

If you type "fresh modesty" into Google it'll come up. It'll say Olivia Williams (@freshmodesty). 

My fashion sense is very boring too. Jeans and t shirt 95% of the time. I too can be weirdly fascinated by fundie fashion. Olivia/Duggar type stuff not so much because it's "modern modest", but there are clothing sites where they sell really modest type stuff- sleeves down to the elbows, ankle length skirt only etc. 

Thank you! My style isn't boring but its definitely not.....tame? I'm into Mori Kei XD. I'm off to scope out her clothes. 

New post on her IG with a better shot of the top of the dress. It looks okay, although the fabric seems kind of bulky. Interested to see a full-length shot.

On 9/15/2016 at 9:17 AM, polecat said:

Not to be "that person," but horrible things do happen at church. This happened near where I live. http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/08/church.shooting/ ***

That said, I live in one of the most dangerous parts of the country and have never carried a weapon. The most I have ever carried was dog spray when I walked early in the morning -- and that was because I kept encountering a particularly nasty tempered St. Bernard (of all things!!!!), whose owner refused to keep in their yard, and no matter how much I changed my route, that thing kept finding me and following me, menacing me a good half mile before it would get bored. 

*** ETA: I am NOT justifying her carrying a weapon to church, btw. I am personally really freaking uncomfortable with all these undertrained, overly confident people out there brandishing weapons and dreaming of the day they get to be a "good guy with a gun."

Yes to the last bit. A lot of the pro-gun types seem to have this John McClane fantasy that they'd be the "good guy with a gun" who'd save the day and be so awesome and badass and heroic, when in reality, they likely would not have the training, situational awareness, accuracy, and trigger discipline to take down an active shooter. Heck, in the last "good guy with a gun" story that made the news -- the mall stabber in Minneapolis -- the assailant was taken out by an off-duty police officer.

• Upvote 1

On October 1, 2016 at 9:32 PM, divadivine said:

That's not butterflies my dear. That's gas. Pop a few tums. 

• Upvote 2