IGNORED

Erin & Chad are offical...

silverspoons

I think even after many baby she will make time to look good. She seem to be that her appearance is important to her and I think she always be like that.

sure,I just wonder how she is going to like a few pounds on that tiny waist of hers during pregnancy and afterwards,not to mention the stretch marks.

Then there's the babies/kids and the fact they need constant attention.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen any evidence whatsoever that Erin is this spoiled princess who doesn't want to work and will go crazy when she has to take care of kids. It's totally nonsensical. She's going to college, and teaching music lessons, and pursuing her own musical career. It's not like she's been sitting at home with her feet up, eating bon bons and waiting for prince charming. Maybe she is obsessed with her appearance and she will hate having kids, but maybe she's not that superficial and maybe she'll love it. The point is, just based on what we know about her, none of us can say. And no, a dumb off-hand comment about not wanting to sit next to someone with green hair made three years ago is not an accurate gauge of a person's character.

I've never seen any evidence whatsoever that Erin is this spoiled princess who doesn't want to work and will go crazy when she has to take care of kids. It's totally nonsensical. She's going to college, and teaching music lessons, and pursuing her own musical career. It's not like she's been sitting at home with her feet up, eating bon bons and waiting for prince charming. Maybe she is obsessed with her appearance and she will hate having kids, but maybe she's not that superficial and maybe she'll love it. The point is, just based on what we know about her, none of us can say. And no, a dumb off-hand comment about not wanting to sit next to someone with green hair made three years ago is not an accurate gauge of a person's character.

Yeah, it is.

Erin is obviously planning for babies. Corelle plates and plastic drinking cups....

I noticed the Corelle dishes on their registry too. Maybe they are wanting to have things that will last a long time?

Yeah, it is.

Well I guess it's a good thing every dumb comment you've ever made wasn't filmed, because then you'd be in trouble. We all would.

I think right now they aren't able to or feel they can't show any independence from their parents. Hopefully once they're married and not under their parents' authority they can be themselves.

This is what I'm hoping for. When the young generations of fundies that are just now starting to court and marry realize how dismal their lives will be (lack of education and not enough money to raise a dozen or more kids), I think many of them may slowly but surely become fundie-lite, conservative Christian, or mainstream. I just hope if this happens they don't act like a bunch of dumbass teenagers a la Josh Duggar.

I think acting like dumbass teenagers is inevitable for fundie kids out on their own for the first time. Theyve been kept as children for their whole lives and havent had the chance to be teenagers, and have gone from being highly controlled and supervised to being allowed to do anything they want.

I suspect it wont be any different for Erin and Chad, who will probably spend at least the first year of their relationship acting like two lovestruck 15 year olds and enjoying doing all the things they could have done if they were allowed to date as teenagers.

Well I guess it's a good thing every dumb comment you've ever made wasn't filmed, because then you'd be in trouble. We all would.

Neither my family nor myself position ourselves as examples and models to follow and people to emulate. We don't have ourselves filmed, put on TV or have blogs out there that we want people to follow. Sorry, but that stupid comment was made by an adult in public on film by an adult who is either so stupid that she doesn't realize that her words have impact and define her or who really means it. She also unlike many of us has a platform - a heavily trafficked family blog - through which to clarify or apologize. Has she? Nope. So she most likely is either stupid, bigoted or both. I have no problem calling that out and certainly don't see the need to be a Bates apologist. Not sure why you do

There was a picture released shortly before Josh and Anna's big day of them shopping for wedding rings in a pawn shop. Because Josh is a klass akt like that

Must be a TLC thing. Sugar Bear shopped for Mama June's ring in a pawn shop too.

I think acting like dumbass teenagers is inevitable for fundie kids out on their own for the first time. Theyve been kept as children for their whole lives and havent had the chance to be teenagers, and have gone from being highly controlled and supervised to being allowed to do anything they want.

I suspect it wont be any different for Erin and Chad, who will probably spend at least the first year of their relationship acting like two lovestruck 15 year olds and enjoying doing all the things they could have done if they were allowed to date as teenagers.

This. Being raised in such a tightly controlled environment, forced to remain in childhood even as they physically mature into adults, it's no big surprise that newly married fundie kids act like teenagers. They have been kept from moving into what is a natural stage of life, so as soon as they are out of the house it's almost a given that they will act like this. It's completely understandable in a way, however, it's usually in this teenager stage that they end up having that first baby. They have to grow up really really fast.

Re: the green hair comment, I would expect that to come from almost any fundie, not just Erin. Anything different, be it green hair, or a woman wearing shorts, or anything that isn't acceptable in the fundie world is horrifying. They are raised to think that way. Let's be honest, fundies in general are not the smartest or the most open minded people in the world but to be fair, they might not be that way if their upbringing was different. On other words, Erin might not be truly stupid or bigoted, but she's been raised to think a certain way. She knows no different nor has been allowed to. Had she been raised differently, she may have never made that comment. It can still come off as stupidity or intolerance however. That's one thing that gets me about fundie kids; their true nature is squelched and they turn out to be people they may never would have been otherwise.

Incidentally, Erin (or insert other fundie name here) might have been horrified at the person who checked out my groceries yesterday. Full head of green hair.

Re: the green hair comment, I would expect that to come from almost any fundie, not just Erin. Anything different, be it green hair, or a woman wearing shorts, or anything that isn't acceptable in the fundie world is horrifying. They are raised to think that way. Let's be honest, fundies in general are not the smartest or the most open minded people in the world but to be fair, they might not be that way if their upbringing was different. On other words, Erin might not be truly stupid or bigoted, but she's been raised to think a certain way. She knows no different nor has been allowed to. Had she been raised differently, she may have never made that comment. It can still come off as stupidity or intolerance however. That's one thing that gets me about fundie kids; their true nature is squelched and they turn out to be people they may never would have been otherwise.

Incidentally, Erin (or insert other fundie name here) might have been horrified at the person who checked out my groceries yesterday. Full head of green hair.

I went to a store with a relative's friend one time and this woman was appalled to discover that one of the male employees was wearing makeup, nail polish, and had long hair. She gave this poor man the death stare and talked about him for days on end. I tried my best to talk some sense into her, but her mind was made up and she refused to listen. :shrug:

Thank you for saying what I have been trying to say, 100000x better than I.

Erin is obviously planning for babies. Corelle plates and plastic drinking cups....

I feel a bit shameful for looking at her wedding registry, but...

Did you see she asked for 32 place settings? Perhaps she's just covering her bases for her family to visit, or to host. I applaud her choices for practicality. My aunt's wedding Corelle is going on 41 years; in my collection, I've ever only broken one piece, a teacup, by slamming it into a cast iron sink (shattered like glass, though, ow!).

And what's with the different bedding sizes? She'd already have to have a queen, full, and twins for those sets.

I feel a bit shameful for looking at her wedding registry, but...

Did you see she asked for 32 place settings? Perhaps she's just covering her bases for her family to visit, or to host. I applaud her choices for practicality. My aunt's wedding Corelle is going on 41 years; in my collection, I've ever only broken one piece, a teacup, by slamming it into a cast iron sink (shattered like glass, though, ow!).

And what's with the different bedding sizes? She'd already have to have a queen, full, and twins for those sets.

They registered for 2 "Corelle Livingware 16 Piece Dinnerware Set(s)" Each set is service for 4, thus she requested service for 8. I usually purchase service for 12, so I have enough place settings to entertain.

I noticed the Corelle dishes on their registry too. Maybe they are wanting to have things that will last a long time?

I think sets of corelle dishes make a lot of sense for anyone really, but especially people who are thinking they might have kids soon. It certainly beats the Duggars and their landfills full of disposable tablewear.

They registered for 2 "Corelle Livingware 16 Piece Dinnerware Set(s)" Each set is service for 4, thus she requested service for 8. I usually purchase service for 12, so I have enough place settings to entertain.

Thanks for the correction, Ralar. I guess I saw 16 piece as 16 places.

I had to laugh when I saw the light blue hair dryer on their registry. That's bound to get some use.

Corelle has some really cute patterns on their plates, though.

Fiance and I went with the Fiesta line for our registry. Love the peacock blue.

I had to laugh when I saw the light blue hair dryer on their registry. That's bound to get some use.

A hair dryer on a wedding registry?! It is really such inexpensive stuff that she chose- no wedding china or silver! Not much that will last...

A hair dryer on a wedding registry?! It is really such inexpensive stuff that she chose- no wedding china or silver! Not much that will last...

A lot of couples in our area don't register for china. My husband and I didn't. Number 1 I'll inherit my mom's china and my great grandmother's silver when mom dies. Number 2 I have no use for it. We don't have fancy dinners. When we have people over it's usually just my best friend, my little cousins (one of whom is 15 and still growing mentally into his body so his coordination is off therefore breakage is a concern), or our pastor. China just seemed like a waste of money for us. We wanted practical things.

Edited to add: Also, most people only spend about $25 on a wedding gift around here. We'll spend $50 if it's a really close family member, we might spend more if it was a sibling, but I don't see either of my brother in laws getting married anytime soon (especially since one's only 12!).

Also, the majority of their guests will be mega families who are not as fortunate as the Duggars and are barely making ends meet. If

Erin and Chad want to actually get some stuff on their wedding day, they need to provide their guests with lists of affordable home equipment. I would go as far as to say that I could see the Bates girls sharing their blow dryers and Erin not having her own.

Fiance and I didn't register for china or silver. A. we inherited my grandmother's china from Belgium B. we already have a ton of silverware C. leaves more room for fun, less expensive things! I picked out a pig bacon cooker. Worth it.

Some Bates updates in the comment section of the engagement post:

-Chad and Erin will be renting a home in near Knoxville for the first year. Chad is moving in on Saturday!

-Erin bridesmaids will be 3 of her sisters, 1 of Chad 's sisters and a friend. The bridesmaids will wear blue. Blue is their wedding color.

-Alyssa and John Webster are considering courtship!

Archived