IGNORED

They went to Zambia........

formergothardite

I'm reading her blog tonight. My sleeping is so messed up so my plan is to stay up tonight and all day tomorrow, then hopefully get back to a regular sleep pattern. Anyway, I think this isn't their first mission duty station. I'll let you know later.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm reading her blog tonight. My sleeping is so messed up so my plan is to stay up tonight and all day tomorrow, then hopefully get back to a regular sleep pattern. Anyway, I think this isn't their first mission duty station. I'll let you know later.

They've spent time outside of Jo'berg.

:roll: This kind of thing makes me wish so much that I could share my niece-in-law's blog. She tries to play the happy Mormon wifey and mother but fails miserably. She's a super malcontent Mormon wife from a racist Alabama family. They just moved to England and it's become clear the entire nation has conspired to make her life inconvenient. My sister and I have a bet to see how long she'll last there. It's amazing how many Mormon families are moving overseas to "spread the word". Did I say amazing? I meant scary. Anyway, she has posts just like this lady, going on and on about how messed up the English system is. With any luck, she'll be able to straighten the country out while she's there.

Is it very wrong that I hope 'England' continues to inconvenience her? :lol:

Little Miss Save Zambia needs a prolonged dose of tropical diarrhoea. What? At least I am not 'pretending' to be charitable. 'Unreached people of the day' Translate...The lucky ones.

:roll: This kind of thing makes me wish so much that I could share my niece-in-law's blog. She tries to play the happy Mormon wifey and mother but fails miserably. She's a super malcontent Mormon wife from a racist Alabama family. They just moved to England and it's become clear the entire nation has conspired to make her life inconvenient. My sister and I have a bet to see how long she'll last there. It's amazing how many Mormon families are moving overseas to "spread the word". Did I say amazing? I meant scary. Anyway, she has posts just like this lady, going on and on about how messed up the English system is. With any luck, she'll be able to straighten the country out while she's there.

OMG, I'd give anything to live in England. I read so many English mysteries, it would be like going home.

What a spoiled little bitch. I especially like that she says "where the Africans shop." I guess all Africans must be exactly the same, and not from, you know, different ethnic groups and stuff. :evil: How simplistic. I hope she gives up and goes home pronto.

Because they are birds? They are doing what comes naturally to them. They didn't do it just to piss you off, Your Holiness. :roll:

The fuck? I can't stand birds, they wake me up outside my window all the time. But my first thought really isn't, OMG, WHY ME??!!! It's usually along the lines of, birds are acting like fucking birds, let me turn the fan up and go back to sleep :roll:

I made it clear that their journals are theirs alone, and they don't have to share with everyone if they don't want to. However, I also made it clear that I will check their journals every now and again and talk about any issues I find there.

I should have gone to bed, instead of reading this person.

Om my, the birds are offending her personally.

I've got a feeling that this is going to be a bumpy ride; for all of us.

I think that is exactly what she was expecting. Reminds me of the Poisonwood Bible, and that one didn't end too well for the missionaries.

Yes, a real life poisonwood bible. I can't wait to read this one.

Missionary work isn't like one of the vacation tours where you get to stay in five star hotels, go to fancy restaurants, and having everyone wait on you hand and foot. If she thought missionary work was like that, then she'd better start reading those missionary horror stories where missionaries are struggling along with the natives or *gasp* getting killed by natives because they like being "ignorant".

Unreached People of the Day

Please pray for the ...

Gayo of Indonesia

Population: 358,000

Language: Gayo

Religion: Islam

Evangelical: 0.01%

My. Jaw. Dropped.

If she wanted it to look like South Africa why didn't she just go on vacation mission in South Africa?

I always wonder what exactly these people do. I have a friend a college who grew up fundie lite and did youth mission trips in Kenya. She absolutely loved her time there and I envy her for having been able to see that part of the world, but I really have to wonder how much good a bunch of high schoolers are to anybody who needs real help.

She obviously didn't know what she was getting into. Moving from a first-world country to a second or third-world country is a bit of a shock to the system.

Especially for a housewife whose sole purpose is to make babies, clean, and cook, I'm sure she has no idea how to function right now.

However, I relate to her on the maid thing because, while I'm not against getting a maid and have been trying ot hire somebody to come in twice a month to do the heavy cleaning, DH is adamantly against it because he doesn't want strangers in the house, especially when we're not home. Nothing to do with race, nationality, sex, or anything else. He just kind of doesn't like people :lol

In the end, she should not be a missionary because she can't let go of her first-world mindset of grocery shopping and landscaping and whatever else she had pictured. Sad for her, she's wasting an awesome learning opportunity.

She obviously didn't know what she was getting into. Moving from a first-world country to a second or third-world country is a bit of a shock to the system.

Especially for a housewife whose sole purpose is to make babies, clean, and cook, I'm sure she has no idea how to function right now.

However, I relate to her on the maid thing because, while I'm not against getting a maid and have been trying ot hire somebody to come in twice a month to do the heavy cleaning, DH is adamantly against it because he doesn't want strangers in the house, especially when we're not home. Nothing to do with race, nationality, sex, or anything else. He just kind of doesn't like people :lol

In the end, she should not be a missionary because she can't let go of her first-world mindset of grocery shopping and landscaping and whatever else she had pictured. Sad for her, she's wasting an awesome learning opportunity.

She's not new to mission work. She's been a missionary in South africa and Botswana. Her husband is deaf, they are missionaries to the deaf.

Well then she is just a big dummy and shouldn't be a missionary if she can't handle those kind of drastic changes and adjustments :lol

Much as I love to snark on this lady, it seems to me like she just didn't want to go to Zambia to begin with, and all her moaning and griping about these superfacial things is just a way to express what she, as an Obdient Wife, isn't allowed to express: she just f-ing didn't want to go there in the first place!...

Which makes me cry inside a little bit.

From the blog:

Finding what we like, what we really need right now, and what we can live without is not as easy as I thought it would be. There are things to buy in the capitol of Lusaka, and J-Man is going there tomorrow. So we are praying the Lord leads him to some nice and affordable things for us! If you would pray too, that would be awesome.

I can relate. I was shocked, let me tell you: shocked, when I first came to the UK, and couldn't find what I liked. Never mind that I was fourteen, on a school-trip, and my main gripe was that the McDonald's menu was different. How dare the UK be different from my home country? It was exciting unbearable for me to learn about new things, and have new experiences to deal with such hardship. It was so exciting rough that I moved back dragged myself here kicking and screaming, but I did it to attend university complain about it for the rest of my days.

I do understand the occasional whine about missing something that's easily available "back home". Guilty as charged. But when I moved to the UK, I expected that it would be rather different, and I was only moving within Europe, which is a bit smaller than Africa. I'm just a bit puzzled as to why she thinks that Zambia and South Africa would be the same.

To me, she sounds plain miserable, and in spite of how I sound, I do have sympathy for her. Adjusting can be really rough, especially if you're in a place you don't want to be in, which is how she sounds to me. I'm just all out of patience today, after dealing with one too many vistor from home, complaining about how different everything is over here. Why, yes, it is.

Oh, and the praying that the Lord will lead them to some nice affordable things, and asking for others to pray too? I just left that in the quote, because it annoys me. Does her deity have nothing better to do than to micro-manage her life?

edited to clarify

I think the woman is in cultural shock. South Africa is a fairly developed country and she is currently in a far less developed region. Plus, if she didn't want to be there in the first place, it makes the adjustment even harder.

My SO and I just came back from China and it was not easy for him to adjust to certain things and we were living in air conditioned places and visiting touristy sites. It's just hard to adjust to so many changes all at once. I felt my SO, as educated and well read as he was, sometimes made insensitive comments or came off like a rich spoiled little boy. However, it's easy for me to say because I was prepared for what to expect and I had been back several times growing up. My SO complained I was nitpicking too many things about what he was doing wrong, and he understood things were different.....but that didn't mean he was used to it.

Therefore, I'll give this woman the benefit of the doubt and hope that she'll adjust and maybe even learn something from her new home. No matter how hard it is for us developed world people to make that move, remember that the locals have to make do with all those inconveniences all their lives and without any extra money for maids and gardeners.

This woman is the perfect example of what happens when the man is in charge and the wife gets no say in what they do and how it ends badly for everyone. She is in a third world country that she hates, she is obviously miserable, I'm sure that misery rubs off on the kids and is clearly seen by the people there she is supposed to minister to.

If you think it is crazy talk to go to Zambia, then you shouldn't go to Zambia. And if you are going to go, go do something useful. Starting a church for the deaf isn't useful for the community. Starting a school for the deaf would be, but I still can't figure out what they are doing there.

If my husband told me he felt led to go to Zambia, I would be all "Well you go have fun in Zambia, the kids and I are staying here." But fundie wifes can't do that, so they end up living lives they hate.

If my husband told me he felt led to go to Zambia, I would be all "Well you go have fun in Zambia, the kids and I are staying here." But fundie wifes can't do that, so they end up living lives they hate.

You have an unrepentant and wilful heart. "It is better for a wife to live a life she hates than to rise up against her husband." Fundilossians chapter 2, verse four. I'll pray for you.

You have an unrepentant and wilful heart. "It is better for a wife to live a life she hates than to rise up against her husband." Fundilossians chapter 2, verse four. I'll pray for you.

I feel so ashamed. :oops: Five hours in the prayer closet for me!

I've been reading her posts on looking feminine and she NEVER goes a day without putting on make-up. Ever. She also thinks that if you are one of those people who just throw your hair up into a pony tail then you are just sloppy and your husband doesn't really find you attractive. He might lie and say he does, though. Whatever you do, don't get a "butch cut"! Oh, and she is having to grow her hair out long even though she hates it because her "Prince" wants her too. And you better get rid of all facial hair and do your brows because not doing so is just gross. :roll:

And then we have this bit of wisdom about the strange woman who is spoken of in the Bible:

verses 13-20 she uses her words to convince a young man to come and "take our fill of love" while her husband is away. Her words [not her beauty or her clothing] cause him to fall into her trap. Verse 21 says:

" With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him."

Remember her stubborn streak? She didn't listen to his arguments, or his reasoning, or his denials of desire. She continued to talk as she led him to her house, told him it would be ok, described all the nice things she had waiting for him, and forced him.

Unless this woman physically dragged him into her house with him fighting, she didn't force him. He went willingly. But then that would be putting some blame on the men and we all know it is always the woman's fault. :roll:

What makes me almost want to laugh is how in the effing hell did she delude herself into thinking she'd have all the same convienences of home in a rural villiage in a third world country most people are smarter than that. You went there as a missionary stupid not as a tourist on holiday suck it up, stop being so damn condescending towards the people you choose to help and their culture and learn something while you are at it.

I don't see her being condescending. I don't see her interacting at all with anybody in the area. She reminds me of the scared bunnies that get stationed here in Germany; they never go off base, shop anywhere but on base, eat only on base (but at the German restaurant so it's AUTHENTIC!!!), etc. All this great traveling and life experience and they are generally too scared to even go to a movie off base or anything.

I don't see her being condescending. I don't see her interacting at all with anybody in the area. She reminds me of the scared bunnies that get stationed here in Germany; they never go off base, shop anywhere but on base, eat only on base (but at the German restaurant so it's AUTHENTIC!!!), etc. All this great traveling and life experience and they are generally too scared to even go to a movie off base or anything.

I can understand fearing the autobahn, maybe, but what about the goddamn food? It should be illegal to go to Germany and not experience as many baked goods as humanly possible. Just... illegal. Also, German is not a difficult language to learn at all. No excuses.

Maybe I've just had excessively positive experiences with German people, though. Most of them gave me delicious food in exchange for learning.

Archived