IGNORED

Josh Beasley's New Flame?

BlueChair

Does anyone remember Laura from the beginning of the No Longer Quivering site? Quiverfull mother of many who left fundamentalism and lost her children to her ex-husband in the process?

I've been looking at the Facebook profile picture of her oldest daughter, and she appears to be snuggling up to one Joshua Beasley, of "Oops I accidentally shot and killed my wife" fame. Can anyone confirm that it's him?

facebook.com/emily.hipps.3

I feel incredibly sad for Laura. She's moved on, remarried, and completely left the lifestyle behind, but her ex was awarded custody of their 10+ children and they still seem to be mired in it. One daughter is very young and appears to be pregnant with a honeymoon or near honeymoon baby and now her oldest daughter is possibly with Mr. I Didn't Mean To Do It Beasley.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, is THAT what happened to Mrs. Hipps? I remember reading a few posts on a Hipps daughter's blog a few years ago and seeing some vague allusions to their mother having left, but there was never any further explanation.

The guy in the profile photo definitely looks like Josh.

Guest Anonymous

Come now, what do you expect Josh to do? Sit and cry for the rest of his life? After all, he made Alaina's dreams come true by sending her off to meet Jesus...

[\sarcastic rant aimed at Beasley siblings]

One of the daughters had a blog? Do you still have the link?

hhphotography.blogspot.com. Search the blog for "mom," and you'll find some interesting posts.

hhphotography.blogspot.com. Search the blog for "mom," and you'll find some interesting posts.

That is some interesting stuff. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the Hipps children. On one hand, they have been raised crazy fundy with all that goes with it (except, perhaps, a skirts-only uniform). On the other hand, they have a lesbian grandmother and a mother who broke away and is leading a mainstream life. I'm sure everything they were taught (including by their own mother up until the point she left) told them that her current lifestyle is evil and their father only seeks to reinforce that now. I can understand that the kids may have a whole lot of anger toward her for her perceived abandonment of them, but hopefully down the road they will begin leaving fundamentalism and follow her path.

But it must kill her to be on the other side now and have to see her kids still so happily drunk on the kool-aid.

Not any more, they're gone.

They aren't all gone. All I did to find them was type "mom" in the search box in the upper left of the screen.

This particular blogger has never been mentioned at FJ before, so far as I remember, so the odds of her finding this discussion and deleting stuff so fast are pretty slim, I think.

Her old guest post on "God's view on Gun control" (wonky capitalizations hers, as apparently God and Guns both deserve an uppercase) is particularly awesome, since her sister appears to be dating a guy who shot and killed his wife while playing an "intruder game" with a loaded weapon.

hhphotography.blogspot.no/2010/03/guest-post-gods-view-on-gun-control.html

Her old guest post on "God's view on Gun control" (wonky capitalizations hers, as apparently God and Guns both deserve an uppercase) is particularly awesome, since her sister appears to be dating a guy who shot and killed his wife while playing an "intruder game" with a loaded weapon.

hhphotography.blogspot.no/2010/03/guest-post-gods-view-on-gun-control.html

Wow, who knew that Jesus wanted us to pack heat - because he told the disciples to carry swords which are old timey versions of guns.

I also enjoyed all the examples of weapons control and people being unarmed that he plucked from the bible - and then he started inventing/speculating reasons why those examples really shouldn't count.

How in the world do you allow your daughter to marry someone who killed his first wife? I'm sure she's not allowed to choose for herself, so I would hope her dad would step in and be like, "What the fuck? Keep on walkin' Josh. We don't need your crazy; we have plenty of our own."

It has to totally suck to know your kid is diving into the kind of life you sacrificed everything to get out of. I can't even imagine that.

The Beasley's give me the heebies. Dan Beasley looks I dunno, a bit tooo happy in the photos of him and Bethany.

*shudder*

Guest Anonymous

I would like to know more about Laura's story too. She had already had her story removed from NLQ by the time I started reading there.

Okay, one of the problems I have with the Beasley re-marriage is...ISN'T HE GIVING AWAY PIECES OF HIS HEART????

Surely by not only talking to another female, but touching her and having sex with her, he is now IMPURE?

How come he gets a (presumably) pure girl?

Is it okay if the piece of your heart dies?

Okay, one of the problems I have with the Beasley re-marriage is...ISN'T HE GIVING AWAY PIECES OF HIS HEART????

Surely by not only talking to another female, but touching her and having sex with her, he is now IMPURE?

How come he gets a (presumably) pure girl?

Is it okay if the piece of your heart dies?

If you kill the recipient of pieces of your heart, you get them back.

I would like to know more about Laura's story too. She had already had her story removed from NLQ by the time I started reading there.

IIRC, her reasoning for leaving the kids with her ex-husband was that he was "a bad husband but a good father". Which I think is kind of odd considering some of the things she posted about (such as him making them live in a run down house with a rotted floor that left huge splinters in the babies when they crawled on it, which he refused to work to fix) It just seems weird to label someone who had so little concern for the living conditions of their children a "good father". I also think it's odd that she'd leave her kids with a fundie, considering she woke up to how dangerous the lifestyle was.

Sadly, I think what happened is that she realized she couldn't escape while trying to take that many kids with her so she saved herself.

IIRC, her reasoning for leaving the kids with her ex-husband was that he was "a bad husband but a good father". Which I think is kind of odd considering some of the things she posted about (such as him making them live in a run down house with a rotted floor that left huge splinters in the babies when they crawled on it, which he refused to work to fix) It just seems weird to label someone who had so little concern for the living conditions of their children a "good father". I also think it's odd that she'd leave her kids with a fundie, considering she woke up to how dangerous the lifestyle was.

Sadly, I think what happened is that she realized she couldn't escape while trying to take that many kids with her so she saved herself.

I think she initially walked out the door when she was having some kind of breakdown, and she didn't really have any place to go, so she didn't take any of the kids with her (there are more than ten of them). Then her ex fought her for custody and since he had the farm and therefore the income and stability, and she had recently gone through a breakdown, he won primary custody.

When we ask why these women don't just leave, I would hold this up as an example of why it's not that easy. You run the risk losing everything, including your children.

I don't see anything wrong with her not taking the kids initially, simply because when it comes to the basic necessities of life (shelter, food, etc), her ex-husband was able to provide those at the time while she was not. However, I still find it odd that once she was stable, she appears to have left the situation as-is. And I find it really odd that (before she took her story down fron NLQ and stepped back from it), she was advocating strongly against a dangerous lifestyle that she basically left her kids (particularly her daughters) in.

Archived