IGNORED

Kelly Bates is grateful to not deal with the bills

alysee

At the moment I'm sorting out my student finance for university, and because Student Finance England have screwed up like they always do, it'll take a bit longer. It's frustrating but it's got to be done! I've got to make the decision to get all the required evidence etc, I just don't get how you can be happy to not deal with stuff. Sometimes it's annoying and frustrating but the consequences of not dealing with it are much worse.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to say this. Kelly Bates is a tool. Well, the ladies equivalent of a tool.

If I'd depended on the ex headship to the pay the bills etc...we'd have been homeless..

I hate to say this. Kelly Bates is a tool. Well, the ladies equivalent of a tool.

If I'd depended on the ex headship to the pay the bills etc...we'd have been homeless..

I don't have a headship (well, not one living with me), so there's no one but me to pay the bills (my male catship doesn't speak human or have opposable thumbs).

Hey Kelly, if you need money to pay the bills, #1 STOP HAVING CHILDREN and #2 GET A FUCKING JOB!

They graduated from Carson Newman, a respectable college affiliated with Southern Baptists. I may not want my children to go there, but it is not College Minus or Pensacola or Liberty.

Carson Newman actually had some very good academic programs. I went to school in Knoxville about half hour away. Most weekends there were some CN kids partyong with us.

Also, I would like to thank my mom for teaching me to always be able to pay my owm way from a very early age.

Anybody want to tell her that one of the roles of the wife in earlier times was keeping track of the household books? Which meant that they had to be able to cover the bills.....

My husband and I keep track of the bills together, so we both know what is going on, how much we have to spend and what we owe, blah blah blah. It really is no big deal, a chore on the same level as brushing my teeth - it takes time and I have no feelings one way or the other. Kelly has her head in the sand cause she believes being a giant baby producing infant will get her into heaven over the rest of us.

Good luck with that, toots.

*riffles

Women who reason like her will have one rude awakening if the husband divorces her or dies.

It's ridiculous to brag about being so helpless. I think that adults should have the skills to do everything that is needed in a household, such as paying bills, cook dinner, clean the house, do the laundry, do minor maintenance jobs on the house or the car, replace a button etc. You never know what will happen in the future and I would hate to have to learn "everything" to stay afloat in a crisis situation when I would have other things to worry about.

My MIL was this person and her "children" had flown the nest nearly 30 years prior. I had to drop 2 classes that semester to basically walk her through setting up a filing system, how to save receipts, etc. But first, she had to learn to balance a checkbook and 5 years later, still panics when the pension or social security check deposits fall on a Saturday, despite my reassurances that both deposit on the Friday prior.

She STILL managed to fuck up her tax pre-payment this year and I had to waste a day with her records and the accountant figuring out exactly what she did. /stabby

I knew how to balance a checkbook with a pen and a calculator when I was 12. No way in hell I was ever going to let myself become dependent on a man for anything. Now? We are a single-income family, but I have money left from my dad that I'm using for school expenses. I will have to take out my first student loans if I get into grad school; we're debt free and I handle the books. As others have said, left to the husband, it would never happen. Where this stuff is concerned, I feel like I married my MIL; hubby still can barely print off a document or figure out how to access his email. /even more stabby :mrgreen:

Anybody want to tell her that one of the roles of the wife in earlier times was keeping track of the household books? Which meant that they had to be able to cover the bills.....

Please, that would TOTALLY kill the buzz for them.......... :roll: Bet she also missed the part that when the men were "working by the sweat of their brow", the women were working by the sweat of their brow right along side them. Kinda more efficient to have at least 2 adults doing the heavy farm chores like seeding, plowing, and animal husbandry. Probably lots of nights where sweet fellowship was out of the question because a couple would be asleep before they even hit the pillows. Keepers at home my ass.

I like that my FH takes care of the bills. But, I could take over if need be. I get that its easier to have one person take over the bill management. Ok, so I'll buy that one. But, paying the bills is not hard. Its pretty friggin' easy if you have money in the bank and access to the interwebs for about 30 minutes a month (max) and a checkbook and a pen and some stamps.

But she can't handle stress? Seriously? You are claiming to simultaneously educate 20 children of different ages for goodness sake. That's a job that requires a serious commitment, as well as the ability to make lots of decisions every day, AND the ability to handle stress well and keep everything going.

I'm a trained teacher with a few years experience. I couldn't homeschool 20. TheIr lack of education is awful.

This is what I was going to say. A lot of fundies seem to be yearning for the 18th/19th-century British middle-class lifestyle, with the man as the breadwinner and the wife as the delicate, "accomplished" trophy wife/walking uterus. Men wanted an "accomplished" woman as a wife, which meant she could, amongst other things, speak several continental languages, sing, dance, play an instrument, and manage a household. Household management was "women's work", so a man would effectively give his wife an allowance with which she paid the servants and purchased food and other necessities.

I promised myself when I became an adult that I was going to be completely self-sufficient. I wasn't going to depend on a man for anything. And I've accomplished that. I wanted to make sure that if I ever did get married and something happened to my husband that I would be capable of caring for my children (if they were young) or not be a burden on my children (if they were adults). I can't imagine anything scarier than to be widowed with small children and incapable of caring for them (and yes, making money and paying bills is part of caring for children). How Kelly manages to be completely helpless is beyond me. I like the fact that I can manage on my own.

I also don't understand why a man would want a helpless wife. My husband married me because he wanted a life partner, not a helpless child he had to care for. In my opinion, Kelly comes off as pathetic. How can you handle any of the stress life throws at you if you can't manage to pay a few bills? What would attract a man to someone like that?

How can you handle any of the stress life throws at you if you can't manage to pay a few bills? What would attract a man to someone like that?

"What would attact a woman to a man who only wanted a 'helpless' woman?" might be the more appropriate question, as well as, "Why is it always the woman's fault?"

Actually, it's much more involved than this.

I feel really ashamed that I can't do it myself! In fact it really bothers me because I know its hard on him.

Just wanted to give a shout out to chotchkies - Don't be ashamed, having a real issue with something such as a learning disability is a very different scenario than just saying "oh I couldn't possibly do that I am but a poor woman". I'm sorry it's so hard on you, but I bet hubby is happy to take on this task for the family.

Hey Kelly, if you need money to pay the bills, #1 STOP HAVING CHILDREN and #2 GET A FUCKING JOB!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Archived