IGNORED

Sons of Jubal in North Korea

terranova

I saw that documentary, shesinsane. It was narrated by Lisa Ling, right? Her sister was detained in North Korea.

Didn't Kim Jong-Il at one point also kidnap a famous Japanese film director to make Pulsagari?

Just look at the reports of the funeral of Kin Jung Il:

"One soldier interviewed by North Korean state television said: 'The snow is endlessly falling like tears. How could the sky not cry when we've lost our general who was a great man from the sky? As we're separated from the general by death, people, mountains and sky are all shedding tears of blood. Dear Supreme Commander!'"

source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16342315

Or of the celebration of his wuld-have-been-70th-birthday aka Day of the Shining Star:

"Nature also marked the event. 'Magpies hover over significant landmarks, cawing out their appalling cries of lament. Mighty mountains have spent days shrouded in a mysterious blood-red aura. Bears have been spotted weeping. Last year, when he was still alive, trees bloomed early and there were solar flares to mark the occasion.'"

Source: http://www.theweek.co.uk/south-and-cent ... s-birthday

mcdonnellblog.com/1/post/2012/05/overseas-tour-part-2-dprk-sons-of-jubal.html

I was interested to see this Baptist Men's choir from Georgia singing in the DPRK. They attended The International Spring Friendship Arts Festival.

Photos clearly show the good side (if there is one) of North Korean life, the side tourists are shown. There is no mention of the starvation outside of the main centres. Either the choir were totally ignorant of the reality in NK, or they just didn't care.

I think it's interesting a religious choir was allowed to sing there at all!

A good friend of mine went to North Korea as part of a musical diplomacy arrangement. She was very restricted in what she was allowed to see and what she was allowed to take photos of. The group she went with was told before they left to expect to be watched at all times. They were accompanied at all times by government officials. The choir probably only saw the shinny side of North Korea and didn't see the ordinary people who bear the brunt of the starvation. My friend did say that the capital is eerie as you are being driving around large open streets and there is barely any one else around and no one can afford cars except for the government and top officials.

i am also guessing they didn't want to think about the starving people because it would ruin their fun and exciting adventure.

I saw that documentary, shesinsane. It was narrated by Lisa Ling, right? Her sister was detained in North Korea.

Yes, Lisa Ling used to do a lot with National Geographic (now she's got her own show on OWN, so I don't think she can do Nat Geo shows anymore). It was back before Laura Ling and Euna Lee "illegally crossed the border" into North Korea. I have a feeling no one in the Ling family wants to visit North Korea these days.

Archived