IGNORED

Sleeping on shelving??

IReallyAmHopewell

If the ceiling height is the standard 8 feet, there's no way a 5' 10" woman can sit upright in one of those beds. I actually like the idea of alcove beds, just not stacked 3 high in a narrow closet.

Check out the post on her home page, it is a really exceptionally ignorant rant about the Gates Foundation and its diabolical plot to reduce the world population by vaccinating children:

You really have to wonder if it's all "for the good of the poor" or just some diabolical effort to promote their population ideals. (Bill Gates does explain his concerns with overpopulation are served by his global vax efforts. That better health + vaccines = fewer children born, since you don't "need" to have 10 children to get 2 to adulthood. I find this somewhat faulty, because if the diseases are so bad that many don't live to adulthood, why bother attempting to change that via vaccination or anything else?)

aspiringtosimplicity.blogspot.com/2011/07/motivation.html

Yes, why bother with vaccines, let them eat prayer.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh. Am I missing something b/c I'm wondering why she's posting then. I thought we were just discussing Kim. . . *shrugs*

yeah, I'm all confused. Can somebody link to her blog since she already knows about us. I was getting all excited because I really thought it was Kim, but she is probably too lazy to look at her site meter.

yeah, I'm all confused. Can somebody link to her blog since she already knows about us. I was getting all excited because I really thought it was Kim, but she is probably too lazy to look at her site meter.

aspiringtosimplicity.blogspot.com/2010/08/behind-curtain-1.html

Okay, that is NOT industrial shelving. That is going to fucking collapse on that poor little girl on the bottom. I think my kids would love sleeping in a closet but how is that even safe?

That fundie logic!!! No one is tricking her with those pesky vaccines! Who cares about the facts! They just get in the way of the agenda.

Hahaha! Hi ladies! Was wondering why my sitemeter jumped off the charts. :)

Do not worry yourselves on our behalf. The girls have plenty of headroom - in fact, I can sit comfortably on any of their beds without bumping *my* head - and I'm 5'10". Second, their room is not small - probably 12x14' including the closets - I (and they) just got tired of their beds becoming little more than places to put - and hide - toys/books/clothes/laundry/etc. They now have their whole room free for play, which seems reasonable, as sleeping truly takes up very little space (yet beds take up most of the room), and playing/storage are always in need of more room. It's a win-win! :) Our home is spacious (crazily so, when you see those tenants in Chinese buildings who truly LIVE in a shelf/cabinet and share bathroom/kitchen facilities with dozens. Yikes!) , around 2800sf and we have lots of outdoors under our jurisdiction as well. Please remove us from your list of concerns. There are truly bigger worries to tend to. :D

Judging by the little girl sitting on the bottom bunk, there is no way there is enough headroom.

OK, I'm going to be a serial poster because the more I think about this the madder I get.

if the diseases are so bad that many don't live to adulthood, why bother attempting to change that via vaccination or anything else?

Fucking idiot. Fucking overprivileged idiot. You are so fucking lucky to be living in a time and a place where you have a reasonable expectation of all your children outliving you. Go ahead and clutch your pearls over my offensive language but damn woman, do you have any experience outside your little privileged christian bubble? It kills me that people like you are exporting your ignorant superstitious nonsense to developing countries.

Wait, so she is just saying to let people die of horrilbe diseases? Is she supposed to be a Christian?

"I'm tired just from watching the kids work the past 2 days! They weren't satisfied with what they accomplished Wednesday, so on Thursday they begged to be allowed to take down the other set of bunkbeds and move the dressers into the final bedroom."

Yeah. I'm believing that. What was she holding the plumbing supply line over them at the time??? I don't know about this lady. Can't wait to read the linked posts on her past.

There have been "stealth" homeschoolers for years--very, very few, but they've been there. Itinerant preachers used to be able to exempt their kids and use correspondence schools. The family in "Ten P's in a Pod" (an interesting book) tells of their life traveling, doing evangelism and homeschooling in the 50s/60s

Okay, that is NOT industrial shelving. That is going to fucking collapse on that poor little girl on the bottom. I think my kids would love sleeping in a closet but how is that even safe?

If you properly fastened it, and/or rested it on a rail that was firmly attached to studs which would evenly distribute the point load, etc, it would be fine to hold a person, even an adult. Like hanging kitchen cabinets. Think about how much weight you can load on your kitchen cabinets. I had clearance space above mine in some homes we've lived in, and I put stuff on the top of the cabinets, too, in addition to the stuff loaded in them.

I don't know how she gets full head clearance or whether the beds would be fire safe though.

If you properly fastened it, and/or rested it on a rail that was firmly attached to studs which would evenly distribute the point load, etc, it would be fine to hold a person, even an adult. Like hanging kitchen cabinets. Think about how much weight you can load on your kitchen cabinets. I had clearance space above mine in some homes we've lived in, and I put stuff on the top of the cabinets, too, in addition to the stuff loaded in them.

I don't know how she gets full head clearance or whether the beds would be fire safe though.

why not tear down the closet and just make it an open space? Does she not realize her daughters are going to grow up and may not care that much about space to play? O_o and they only have their bedroom to play in, in the 2700 sq ft home? weird.

How'd you like to wake up with him trucking up your arm towards your face at lightning speed (they are unbelievably fast). I woke up in bed in the middle of the night with one crawling up my arm one night (after I learned to spray and treat for them).

Miserable bastard things.

inashoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/scorpion-front-view.jpg

Can you imagine waking up with one of those on you when you're sleeping on one of those shelves?

I live in an area with scorpions, but they're a very small, not so poisonous variety. I haven't found one in my house, but from what I understand, they are more common in slab houses rather than raised foundations.

(and I have a traditional house, with a stone perimeter foundation, but a post and pier foundation inside of it. It is pretty common for this area. I did have to get it certified for my loan, though.)

Vaccinations work, lady. That's why we've eradicated small pox, polio, etc.

It's called empirical evidence.

But she doesn't care if a few kids die, she can always have another one.....

And that Bill Gates is up to something!

Gotta say, I would have loved those shelf beds when I was a kid. I had a walk in cupboard in my room and I used to drag my bedding and a camp mattress in there to sleep...with the door shut. I was a weird kid though and I might have a different opinion if I had no choice in the matter. At least I HAD a normal bed to sleep in if I wanted.

My kids saw the picture and were like AWESOME. But, sorry, no way would I let them live like that. The girls have trundle beds, the boys have a bunk bed, and my teen has a giant queen all to himself. Trivia: my girls' trundle daybed is the most expensive piece of furniture in our house if you look at just what we paid for it, especially if you consider the canopy we bought from IKEA.

EllaJac wrote:

Quote:

ricky_ticky wrote:

What I found even weirder was the mom who put the kids in the closet

aspiringtosimplicity.blogspot.com/2010/08/behind-curtain-1.html

Uhhhhh, what does she intend to do when one of the kids bolts up in the middle of the night because they suddenly awaken startled? They will knock themselves unconscious.

Hahaha! Hi ladies! Was wondering why my sitemeter jumped off the charts.

Do not worry yourselves on our behalf. The girls have plenty of headroom - in fact, I can sit comfortably on any of their beds without bumping *my* head - and I'm 5'10". Second, their room is not small - probably 12x14' including the closets - I (and they) just got tired of their beds becoming little more than places to put - and hide - toys/books/clothes/laundry/etc. They now have their whole room free for play, which seems reasonable, as sleeping truly takes up very little space (yet beds take up most of the room), and playing/storage are always in need of more room. It's a win-win! Our home is spacious (crazily so, when you see those tenants in Chinese buildings who truly LIVE in a shelf/cabinet and share bathroom/kitchen facilities with dozens. Yikes!) , around 2800sf and we have lots of outdoors under our jurisdiction as well. Please remove us from your list of concerns. There are truly bigger worries to tend to.

Judging by the little girl sitting on the bottom bunk, there is no way there is enough headroom.

The bottom bunk is floor-level. The next one up is just at or under countertop height. So if you can sit on your kitchen floor without the top of your head hitting the counter, you can see how this works. My oldest uses the top bunk, which has a little less headroom perhaps, but she claims (just now as I ask her) that she can sit upright without hitting her head on the ceiling. :)

forever ago wrote:

Austin wrote:

Some of it could just be the layout... I heard the living room and dining room have tons of open space. I think it's less "there's no space" and more "Mom is a fucking idiot."

True. We have occasionally "re-purposed" space to use as bedroom space, such as when my niece was living with us, though. If she's got that much space, surely there are other solutions, so yeah, I'm going with your second option.

Hm, thanks. :P Bazillion = 3? Our 2nd floor is about 1500sf. It consists of 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, linen closets, and a hallway. There are CERTAINLY other options! We have nice wooden bunkbeds, a full-size bed on an antique frame, and a long-twin as well - in other rooms. Alas, idiocy is only ONE possible explanation for the kids' sleeping arrangements. PREFERENCE could be one, eccentricity, green(er) living, or *gasp* even the reasons I already stated.

Re: kids not needing 'play space' forever: ya think? We think so too. Which is why we built these of wood, and not cement, or carved marble, or other harder-to-modify materials.

Wait, so she is just saying to let people die of horrilbe diseases? Is she supposed to be a Christian?

My gosh, obviously I'm not saying this at all. Study up on some Logic, will ya? ;) I'm questioning Gates' circular logic. He doesn't want very many people on the earth (but like most of that opinion, is unwilling to 'walk the talk'), ergo he will help reduce infant mortality via vaccination. He believes women will have fewer children, since the likelihood of their survival is increased. I find this suspect; most women don't have children so they can see them to adulthood. Read the Nigerian prime minister's (I think.. someone high in gov't) recent comment about the UN birth-control promotions. "We love children" he declares. It's not about numbers for most people - Gates' efforts and his purposes seem at odds, taken at face value.

Fucking idiot. Fucking overprivileged idiot. You are so fucking lucky to be living in a time and a place where you have a reasonable expectation of all your children outliving you. Go ahead and clutch your pearls over my offensive language but damn woman, do you have any experience outside your little privileged christian bubble? It kills me that people like you are exporting your ignorant superstitious nonsense to developing countries.

You are right on one count; I am amazingly blessed to not have to fold the hands of my babies and watch them die, as many of my forebears did. I can't even fathom that. I'm also known to say that I am NOT anti-vaccination; I do have a pretty long list of questions that no one can answer definitively from one day to the next. But I've also been known to say that I truly do *not* know what my decisions would be if polio were making its way down the block. And I'm hardly exporting my *concerns* to third-world countries. Before this message board generated over 450 views in a single day, my average has hovered around 15. And I'm guessing most of them aren't in developing nations... :lol:

I'll have to ask you to define "privileged Christian bubble" for me..

How is it greener living to have a huge home and make your children sleep in a closet?

How is it greener living to have a huge home and make your children sleep in a closet?

Why the provocative wording? We've already established that I don't 'make' them sleep there, any more than I 'make' them eat breakfast. Good grief.

I didn't say *we* did it for greener living, but I think it would qualify. Heating/cooling less rooms, smaller mattresses (that would eventually be disposed of -- in fact these could be 'handed down' to camping gear if they were still usable), smaller sheets/bedding, which also means you can fit more of them in a washer/dryer or use smaller/shorter cycles...

How is it NOT greener living, as you imply?

Guest Anonymous

Why the provocative wording? We've already established that I don't 'make' them sleep there, any more than I 'make' them eat breakfast. Good grief.

I didn't say *we* did it for greener living, but I think it would qualify. Heating/cooling less rooms, smaller mattresses (that would eventually be disposed of -- in fact these could be 'handed down' to camping gear if they were still usable), smaller sheets/bedding, which also means you can fit more of them in a washer/dryer or use smaller/shorter cycles...

How is it NOT greener living, as you imply?

Jeez, emmiedahl, stop provoking people by stating facts! What's the matter with you?

EllaJac - do you not feel that it's a fire hazard for your children to sleep cramped in a closet? Firefighters generally do not look in closets for victims, it seems very dangerous. God forbid it should ever be an issue, but no one plans for those sorts of things to happen.

It is not greener living if you have unused bedrooms that are still attached to your home. It makes no difference to your ac whether your children are in one room or all four. You are still taking up the space and maintaining it. You didn't answer how it IS greener living.

I do make my children eat breakfast. If they begged me to sleep on homemade shelves in a closet, I would tell them that this is dangerous and as a parent I cannot let them.

It is not greener living if you have unused bedrooms that are still attached to your home. It makes no difference to your ac whether your children are in one room or all four. You are still taking up the space and maintaining it. You didn't answer how it IS greener living.

I do make my children eat breakfast. If they begged me to sleep on homemade shelves in a closet, I would tell them that this is dangerous and as a parent I cannot let them.

:clap:

It's totally bizarre to me to listen to a mother justifying putting her children in a closet to sleep. What about having a good mattress for them to sleep on? I wonder if the parents in this situation are sleeping on extra camping bedding??? I highly doubt it.

We have a closet/pantry in our bathroom. I buy soap, shampoo, toilet paper, ect. in bulk and store it all in the top of the closet.

I'm only 5 foot w/ shoes on, :lol: so I rarely go up there, but tonight I had to drag a chair in the bathroom to organize everything. I was very surprised how hot it was. The first thing that popped into my mind was how miserably hot those poor kids must be in the middle of summer stuffed in a closet.

If one of your hobbies is finding creative ways to store your children, then perhaps it's time to reevaluate.

And just for the record? Kids ask to do a lot of things that aren't necessarily best for them (although I can't fathom that these children asked to stacked in a closet), but that doesn't mean you have to do it.

I'll have to ask you to define "privileged Christian bubble" for me..

The kind of bubble in which "if the diseases are so bad that many don't live to adulthood, why bother attempting to change that via vaccination or anything else?" seems like a reasonable and defensible thing to say.

Yes, the diseases are that bad, you idiot. Sub-saharan Africa has the worst mortality rates for under-5's in the world. Yes, there is ample empirical evidence that declining infant mortality and increased public investment in education, particularly education of women, leads to declining birth rates.

Your perception of your own perspicacity is wildly inflated.

Archived