IGNORED

What Is Centerville TN Like?

longskirts

So the Botkins are in Centerville and it seems like a lot of other fundie bloggers are in the area. I've seen some bloggers move there to join its churches. Has anybody been there? I'm wondering what it's like and if the whole town is fundie.

For more statistical data than you ever wanted to know:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Centervil ... essee.html

It looks to be a fairly small, rural town with a predominately white population.

I don't know how typical this is for non-urban TN but this is what jumped out at me:

In 2008, supposedly, only 37% of inhabitants were affliated with a local congregation (compared to a national 50%) but I'm pretty sure they're not counting those who attend the Church of Holy Botkin or other home churches. We know that many of the most rabid fundies don't attend registered churches.

I've been there once while on choir tour when I was..15? That would be 17 years ago.. we stopped there because the baptist churches hosted our group for the night. The only thing I remember was that it was smaller than our hometown (as in..they had few red lights, etc) and that we were the only females in the church wearing jeans. Our choir all had to wear tshirts with our choir name on them and blue jeans, in the dead middle of summer in the south. Apparantly that wasn't defrauding like shorts would be?

So, higher than average people in jail, lower than average income and education? Sounds like fundie-land alright.

Archived