IGNORED

The Maxwells and makeup/hair

Daenerys

The Duggars kinda show that progression. I remember the first special where they all had hand-sewn "puritan" dresses in that faux-gold color, and not a wink of makeup. Michelle said "we only want to draw attention to our countenance."

I wonder what they tell themselves at night when they start to contradict what they've preached.

"Must keep TLC money train rolling" and "Is J'ichelle pregnant again yet"

The Duggars kinda show that progression. I remember the first special where they all had hand-sewn "puritan" dresses in that faux-gold color, and not a wink of makeup. Michelle said "we only want to draw attention to our countenance."

I wonder what they tell themselves at night when they start to contradict what they've preached.

Ummmm...I seem to remember Michelle in the first special in those hideous puritan dresses absolutely caked in make up. Talk about drawing someones eye to her contenance. I was left remembering bright red lipstick and not a lot else.

As for the Maxwells, I may be going against the flow but I think Teri always looks nice. Why would she wear make up? She doesn't go out anywhere and Steve obviously prefers her without it. There is nothing wrong with not wearing makeup. I don't bother - I am comfortable in my own skin and everyone else can either deal with that or look away. I don't care which.

I definitely prefer the Maxwell women's hair over the Duggars.

Me too. I give credit to them for not using the shitty perms Mullet and the J'Slaves sometimes use. Sarah and Mary's hair is very nice and Teri styles her hair better than Mullet.

I know quite a lot of women Teri's age who still wear their hair long. Many of them wear little or no make-up, as well. I chalk it up to the remaining influence of hippie culture. (Yes, Teri, hippie culture! Whether you admit it or not!) And, as someone who prefers a low-maintenance look and who can't manage to keep up with fashion, I say more power to them.

I do wish Teri had the option to wear make-up, but I doubt she does. It probably got thrown out with her last cans of Pepsi.

I don't see that telling someone they should wear X or have X amount of make up or X style of hair because of... whatever... makes us any better than the fundies.

I know this is a snark forum but, for me, telling people what they should do with their own bodies crosses a line.

Making up rules how a woman can and can't wear her hair (or clothes, or having certain hobbies, partners...) are another form of oppression.

Women of the past wore their hair long (or a wig) until they died.

Age, social standing, whatever, shouldn't be a factor for determining the hairstyle, but the personal taste of the person who has the hair on the head.

I've always wondered how the Duggar girls manage the Arkansas summer with their hair down :P

What concerns me more about the no-makeup thing for the Maxwells and the long, loose, curly hair for the Duggars is that it seems to be forcing conformity on them. I get the impression that they don't have the freedom to experiment with their appearance. There's nothing wrong with choosing not to do so (I rarely wear make-up so I'm hardly in a position to criticise other women who don't), but it's the complete lack of choice, or apparent lack thereof, that bothers me. How many families do you know with teenage/young adult daughters in which they all have the same hairstyle and none of them wear make-up? It just seems like another way of removing their individuality and oppressing them.

@MamaJ - I took your eyebrow comments to be coaching rather than snark. Most young girls get some guidance from their moms on these matters, but Mary doesn't have that available to her.

Meh, of all the things to snark about the Maxwells, I don't think this is one of them. Good for them if they feel comfortable without make-up. I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing make-up, but there's also nothing wrong with not wearing it.

I agree, I never wear make-up (neither do most of my friends) and my hair is usually messy/boring. I just don't have the time or energy to put a lot of effort into it! I still look ok when I put on nice clothes and brush my hair carefully to go out.

I actually prefer people proclaiming modesty NOT to be all into make-up and all that, because it seems at odds with their message, and really has no purpose other than looks. I once had a conversation with a Muslim girl in full hjab and always wore make-up because she thought it looked nicer and she wanted to be pretty...but she thought it was okay and she was much more modest and pure than other women because she covered her head.

What concerns me more about the no-makeup thing for the Maxwells and the long, loose, curly hair for the Duggars is that it seems to be forcing conformity on them. I get the impression that they don't have the freedom to experiment with their appearance. There's nothing wrong with choosing not to do so (I rarely wear make-up so I'm hardly in a position to criticise other women who don't), but it's the complete lack of choice, or apparent lack thereof, that bothers me. How many families do you know with teenage/young adult daughters in which they all have the same hairstyle and none of them wear make-up? It just seems like another way of removing their individuality and oppressing them.

QFT

They actually need a hair style. What they have is just hair, hanging there. Terri's looks stringy and sort of oily. Do something with it! Wash it. Comb it. Style it. Put it up in a bun, a ponytail, a braid. Anything. Their hair is as boring and lifeless as they are....... You can have a real hairstyle and be modest. For the love of Jesus, put it up when you are cooking or when you're outside in the warm weather. Ok, I'm done ranting.

What I meant to say! :clap:

Also, margiebargie, thanks!

Also also, holothuroidea,

don't see that telling someone they should wear X or have X amount of make up or X style of hair because of... whatever... makes us any better than the fundies.

I know this is a snark forum but, for me, telling people what they should do with their own bodies crosses a line.

1. Yep, you're getting it - this is 100% harmless snark

2. Corollary to #1 - we're not telling people what they should do with their bodies (we're snarking and saying we wish they'd do something with their hair)(and some of us, makeup, but I don't wear it so that's not me ;) ) -

- however -

- we're also not telling them that they will be punished, temporally nor eternally, for continuing to wear their hair unstyled and long. This is the material difference between "telling people what they should do with their own bodies" and "telling people what they should do with their own bodies that crosses a line."

The latter has to do with whether or not to leave one's body open to conception, whether or not to terminate a pregnancy, etc.

Just my take on things.

MamaJunebug, although I appreciate it, you don't need to explain your reasoning to me. I just have a personal boundary about it, I don't think anyone else is necessarily wrong for saying these things. If I did, I wouldn't be here. I only said something because sometimes silence feels like assent. KIWM?

I would much rather snark on the systems/assholes that take away their choice. I don't know how many of these women and teenage girls wish they could do something with their hair.

I've never understood the Duggar girls' stringy hair. It can't be a cost issue because they could each easily trim the others' hair.

Even a quick inch or 2 would make their hair go from being unkempt* to pretty since they have thick, healthy hair.

*unkempt - had to google that word. Always thought the word was "un-kept" as in the opposite of 'kept', the past tense of 'keep'.

Archived