IGNORED

The Maxwells and makeup/hair

Daenerys

I have noticed that none of the Maxwell ladies ever wear any makeup or appear to do anything with their hair. Have they ever said anything about this apparent 'convinction'? I haven't been able to find anything online and I'm curious.

One of them had curled hair in a recent post, I think it might have been Sarah?

I have noticed that none of the Maxwell ladies ever wear any makeup or appear to do anything with their hair. Have they ever said anything about this apparent 'convinction'? I haven't been able to find anything online and I'm curious.

I think it's like using spices on your food, it can all turn into an idol with the blink of an eye. Satan is always looking over ones shoulder :roll:

The Duggars kinda show that progression. I remember the first special where they all had hand-sewn "puritan" dresses in that faux-gold color, and not a wink of makeup. Michelle said "we only want to draw attention to our countenance."

I wonder what they tell themselves at night when they start to contradict what they've preached.

I think it's like using spices on your food, it can all turn into an idol with the blink of an eye. Satan is always looking over ones shoulder :roll:

*chokes on curry*

So that's what I've been doing wrong!

I expect not wearing make-up isn't mentioned because it's so normal. One of the first things I assume about fundies - even UK-style fundies, who are barely fundie-lite by your standards - is that they probably won't wear make-up.

Guest Anonymous

Someone said on an earlier thread that Sarah was 'given permission' to wear makeup when she became an adult, but they all later told her she was much better without it.

Mary has blossomed into a real swan and seems to be the one who wears the most modern clothes: tshirts with hoodies etc. She is also reported to be the one who curls the other girls' hair occasionally. Poor girl; Steve will no doubt have a word from the Lord about vanity very soon....

The Duggars kinda show that progression. I remember the first special where they all had hand-sewn "puritan" dresses in that faux-gold color, and not a wink of makeup. Michelle said "we only want to draw attention to our countenance."

I wonder what they tell themselves at night when they start to contradict what they've preached.

I love this argument, because the frumpers do the exact opposite for me. They're so hideous that it's impossible *not* to stare at them, and thus ignore the countenance.

Sarah's approaching the age where she should have a shorter haircut, and Teri is *well* past it.

Mary's eyebrows appear to be in danger of disappearing altogether, by recent photos. The initial tidying-up turned out well, but at the zoo, IIRC they're almost the same dimension as her eyelids, which IMHO is too small. Somebody making an idol of the tweezers, there, young lady?!?!?

They all (females) wore makeup to Nathan's wedding. They wore no makeup to Chris's. What to the next wedding, burkas??? :roll:

They all (females) wore makeup to Nathan's wedding. They wore no makeup to Chris's. What to the next wedding, burkas??? :roll:

Don't be giving them new fangled ideas.

I love this argument, because the frumpers do the exact opposite for me. They're so hideous that it's impossible *not* to stare at them, and thus ignore the countenance.

It's a shame the rule "modesty is dressing according to your station in life and not attracting unwanted attention" is lost on fundies (well, it was said one time by a catholic saint, maybe that's why).

They do not want to be modest in the strict sense of the word. They want to stick out and get attention for being SO GODLY!

I wish I could quote their own words back at them, modesty not being only about clothes, but about behaviour and attitude, too. Most of the people we discuss here could certainly do with that reminder.

It's a shame the rule "modesty is dressing according to your station in life and not attracting unwanted attention" is lost on fundies (well, it was said one time by a catholic saint, maybe that's why).

They do not want to be modest in the strict sense of the word. They want to stick out and get attention for being SO GODLY!

I wish I could quote their own words back at them, modesty not being only about clothes, but about behaviour and attitude, too. Most of the people we discuss here could certainly do with that reminder.

Exactly. Their so-called modesty calls attention to them. Anyone brave enough to post that on their blog?

Countenance. I think they hope tossing out a few big words in place of more common ones masked their ignorance.

Sarah's approaching the age where she should have a shorter haircut, and Teri is *well* past it.

Erm, no. Not all women need to chop our hair off when we get to a certain age!

I suspect I'm fairly close in age to Teri (I know I'm old enough to be Sarah's mother) and I have waist-length hair. Today I told one of my coworkers that I wanted to whack it off because I was having a bad hair day due to the heat (well over 100 right now). She told me, "No, not your gorgeous hair!!!" She's not religious or anything like that, she just loves my long hair. I keep it braided and pulled back, which even won my father's approval and he was always Mr. "Professional Women Should Have Short Hair."

Of course, I'm the woman who showed up for a family portrait 30 years ago wearing a skirt suit, no makeup and hair shorter than my younger brother's. So I've never been much on conformity.

Meh, of all the things to snark about the Maxwells, I don't think this is one of them. Good for them if they feel comfortable without make-up. I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing make-up, but there's also nothing wrong with not wearing it.

Mary's eyebrows appear to be in danger of disappearing altogether, by recent photos. The initial tidying-up turned out well, but at the zoo, IIRC they're almost the same dimension as her eyelids, which IMHO is too small. Somebody making an idol of the tweezers, there, young lady?!?!?

Seriously, Sarah should have a shorter haircut? She is thirty - a spring chicken!

This is a "rule" that I've never liked or really understood. I'll never be comfortable with shorter hair. Some older women have absolutely gorgeous longer hair, and I think Sarah's hair suits her nicely.

This is a "rule" that I've never liked or really understood. I'll never be comfortable with shorter hair. Some older women have absolutely gorgeous longer hair, and I think Sarah's hair suits her nicely.

:think: Consider my hand slapped appropriately -- but I will stand by my HO that while there is not a numerical age at which a woman should cut her hair, it's also my HO that Sarah might, and Teri certainly would, look better with something more styled than the styles they wear now.

The FJian who has waist length hair and wears it braided actually is on the page next to mine (I hope it doesn't cause her distress! :) ) -- were Teri and Sarah to do something with their long hair rather than just wear it hanging down the sides of their faces, they'd look even nicer than they do. Both of them are nice looking; they could be nicer looking, is my point.

As to my snark about Mary's too-small (again, MHO) brows, yes, she is a kid, 15. I meant no harm, in fact I'm actually glad to see that she's overplucked (HO again) because it tells me she's gotten some time by herself in front of the mirror, yes, with the tweezers!, and if I crossed the no-snarking-on-kids line, I apologize.

One of them had curled hair in a recent post, I think it might have been Sarah?

Yes, Sarah and Anna had curly hair during one of the Maxwell's last road trip. It was revealed that Mary had asked for permission to try something different with their hair. I think we all know who had to grant permission for his grown daughters to stye their hair differently.

:think: Consider my hand slapped appropriately -- but I will stand by my HO that while there is not a numerical age at which a woman should cut her hair, it's also my HO that Sarah might, and Teri certainly would, look better with something more styled than the styles they wear now.

The FJian who has waist length hair and wears it braided actually is on the page next to mine (I hope it doesn't cause her distress! :) ) -- were Teri and Sarah to do something with their long hair rather than just wear it hanging down the sides of their faces, they'd look even nicer than they do. Both of them are nice looking; they could be nicer looking, is my point.

As to my snark about Mary's too-small (again, MHO) brows, yes, she is a kid, 15. I meant no harm, in fact I'm actually glad to see that she's overplucked (HO again) because it tells me she's gotten some time by herself in front of the mirror, yes, with the tweezers!, and if I crossed the no-snarking-on-kids line, I apologize.

They actually need a hair style. What they have is just hair, hanging there. Terri's looks stringy and sort of oily. Do something with it! Wash it. Comb it. Style it. Put it up in a bun, a ponytail, a braid. Anything. Their hair is as boring and lifeless as they are....... You can have a real hairstyle and be modest. For the love of Jesus, put it up when you are cooking or when you're outside in the warm weather. Ok, I'm done ranting.

It seems to me that the Maxwells trim their long hair though, so it's still thick at the end and ends straight.

The one thing I hate about the "oh, I never cut my hair!" crowd is when they really DON'T, and so their hair is at its maximum length, and stringy and split at the end where it just sort of... peters out straggly. Keeping it at least a bit above its maximum length (which will vary by person, but lots of people can grow to the waist) will keep the ends neat and full.

They could probably work some pretty nice styles, though. I'll say I do like Anna-Marie's hair when she has it in the various braided styles around her head.

They actually need a hair style. What they have is just hair, hanging there. Terri's looks stringy and sort of oily. Do something with it! Wash it. Comb it. Style it. Put it up in a bun, a ponytail, a braid. Anything. Their hair is as boring and lifeless as they are....... You can have a real hairstyle and be modest. For the love of Jesus, put it up when you are cooking or when you're outside in the warm weather. Ok, I'm done ranting.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Just plain "long" isn't a hairstyle. They could get it cut with some subtle layering to give it some kind of shape. I once had very long hair for years while I was growing it out to donate and I just don't like the feel of ponytails or braids. I'm also pretty lazy in the mornings. But all that time, I never let it just hang. I got good hair cuts so I only had to brush it in the morning. And I mean good quality cuts, not expensive ones. Hair Cuttery often has great stylists and the prices are cheap. It's amazing what a good cut can do for long hair.

Archived