IGNORED

Let's just say it: The Republicans are the Problem

TinyDancer87

I agree. Just this morning I heard an interesting story on NPR about this topic:

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/30/151522725 ... n-congress

"However awkward it may be for the traditional press and nonpartisan analysts to acknowledge one of the two major parties, the Republican Party, has become a resurgent outlier, ideologically extreme, contemptuous of the inherited social and economic policy regime, scornful of compromise, un-persuaded by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science, and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition."

"And when you have Mitch McConnell saying, after the first two years of the Obama administration, in effect, well, of course we wouldn't cooperate with him because if our fingerprints were on any of those policies, and they were popular, he'd get credit for them."

I thought this interview was fascinating in the way a train wreck is fascinating. The book is called " It's Even Worse Than It Looks".

Thanks for the title!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I read the title of this thread I was like, Hell Yes! Apocalyptic cult? I will have to sleep on that one. I think they are evil and gross and I am surprised they have anyone left outside of the few remaining open racists. I don't know about apocalyptic or cult, but the article points out correctly that they are determined to sabotage anything the President does.

They are, but... they wouldn't be able to pull this crap if the Dems had any balls at all. I'm just as furious at them as I am the Repugs. The Dems *had* control when Obama took office, and they just blew it. Obama too. Obama, you've been shown time and again that the Repugs are NOT reasonable adults. Yet you continue to try to negotiate with them. Why? Please, grow a backbone and just stand up to them, already. They're going to continue to spew their stupidity and their followers are going to continue to lap it up and to change laws as long as they have the power to do so. You have a HUGE number of people out here who need to see you take action, and we'll back you with a groundswell of support as soon as you do. Quit playing footsie with the fucking Repugs already, corral those spineless Dems in Congress and get them to do THEIR jobs, too, take back some seats in the next elections, and just maybe we can turn this country around. Whaddya say?

I'm sorry, this is apropos of nothing, but I once stood for election and got beaten by a paedo.

Granted, no one knew at the time he was a paedo, but red faces all round later on. I was very tempted to get a t-shirt made up that said "I Got Less Votes Than A Kiddie Fiddler" but good taste prevailed. Which rarely happens with me.

They were Category 5 images he was caught with, and I think he's somewhere in the middle of a ten year sentence....

They are, but... they wouldn't be able to pull this crap if the Dems had any balls at all. I'm just as furious at them as I am the Repugs. The Dems *had* control when Obama took office, and they just blew it. Obama too. Obama, you've been shown time and again that the Repugs are NOT reasonable adults. Yet you continue to try to negotiate with them. Why? Please, grow a backbone and just stand up to them, already.

I think this cartoon says it all:

Negotiation-cartoon.jpg

Alternatively, you can submit any number of cartoons with Lucy and the football.

On the other hand, I've heard commentary that it's indeed quite possible that Obama is not as inept as he seems, and that he's really a genius at getting what he wants, which is a move to the right (very far to the right of where I personally am, anyway). Move to the right, do the bidding of Big Business, and pretend that you try not to but it just ends up that way.

Either way, the problem (IMHO) is that the debate is already framed so far to the right compared to just about anywhere else, that what would have people screaming "oh goodness, how radical we can't have that!" in the US is completely, completely milquetoast, if it even goes that far. So many things are just taken on faith to be "beyond the pale" "never can happen" "oh well that works in the rest of the world but the US is 'special' don't you know it would never work here so we can't even look at data from elsewhere" etc etc ETC.

I think this cartoon says it all:

Negotiation-cartoon.jpg

Alternatively, you can submit any number of cartoons with Lucy and the football.

On the other hand, I've heard commentary that it's indeed quite possible that Obama is not as inept as he seems, and that he's really a genius at getting what he wants, which is a move to the right (very far to the right of where I personally am, anyway). Move to the right, do the bidding of Big Business, and pretend that you try not to but it just ends up that way.

That's what DH thinks. At first, I disagreed, but now, not so sure. The man is obviously not stupid, so why keep playing tiddlywinks with the Repugs unless he really *does* want this? I am at a loss. We both voted for him; I'm fully aware that no one man can do everything, and expect no magical rescues, but I certainly did expect him to take a firm stand when he took office and at least make progress against all the Repug nonsense. Hell, he had a Democratic Congress behind him when he took office, so I don't think that was at all an unreasonable assumption. I'll probably vote for him again just because the alternative is even worse, but... that's not saying much.

A pretty critical look at the first two years of the Obama presidency is Ron Suskind's Confidence Man: Washington, Wall Street, and the Education of a President. Suskind pulls no punches and is quite critical at times, but I do believe Obama is brilliant and he has learned from his missteps, particularly his intention to work in a bipartisan way. I think he will when there's an actual hope to be able to do it, but I think he's much more likely to say "screw 'em" when they start talking crap. When polled, Americans overwhelmingly want their politicians - all of them - to work in bipartisan ways, but one wouldn't know it from the 2010 elections.

By nature, I believe he is wired to kind of be "the adult in the room", but clearly, his enemies do not see any virtue in approaching issues in a sensible manner. So when in Rome. . .

I'm Canadian, and I have to think that many Republicans are going nuts over the hard right that the party seems to have taken. It's insane to listen to people like Glenn Beck talk about Obama being a commie - he's nowhere near it.

Okay, I'm just going to ask this: Is it possible/probable that a lot of the Republicans [and even some Democrats] do not compromise with Obama because he's black? Because if you look at his ideas, a lot of them are, in fact, rather Republican- the classic, fiscal conservative with no social commentary Republicans of the 1970s. "Obamacare"? That started out as "Romneycare" in MA. His policies are being compared to Regan and Nixon [Republican icons] yet the current Republican party wants nothing to do with Obama.

Okay, I'm just going to ask this: Is it possible/probable that a lot of the Republicans [and even some Democrats] do not compromise with Obama because he's black? Because if you look at his ideas, a lot of them are, in fact, rather Republican- the classic, fiscal conservative with no social commentary Republicans of the 1970s. "Obamacare"? That started out as "Romneycare" in MA. His policies are being compared to Regan and Nixon [Republican icons] yet the current Republican party wants nothing to do with Obama.

If you're talking about the typical white, conservative, religious white guys who are in charge, then I'd say yeah, it's more than probable. Will they ever admit it to anyone but themselves? Of course not. But never has a President been so hated for no discernible reason before. He really hasn't DONE anything! He's had all he can handle with mopping up the messes left to him from 8 years of the Dubya administration. We won't know what he's really all about unless and until he gets re-elected.

If you're talking about the typical white, conservative, religious white guys who are in charge, then I'd say yeah, it's more than probable. Will they ever admit it to anyone but themselves? Of course not. But never has a President been so hated for no discernible reason before. He really hasn't DONE anything! He's had all he can handle with mopping up the messes left to him from 8 years of the Dubya administration. We won't know what he's really all about unless and until he gets re-elected.

I agree. I think a lot are threatened by a man of color in a powerful position.

And I do think he's a genius. He's quite good at giving people more than enough rope to hang themselves with. One example- letting the Republican party show their collective ass over the birth control mandate.

I do wish the Democrats had a pair of nuts between them, though. They're such wimps. I don't have much faith in either party, although I will vote Democrat again.

I agree. I think a lot are threatened by a man of color in a powerful position.

And I do think he's a genius. He's quite good at giving people more than enough rope to hang themselves with. One example- letting the Republican party show their collective ass over the birth control mandate.

I do wish the Democrats had a pair of nuts between them, though. They're such wimps. I don't have much faith in either party, although I will vote Democrat again.

I think I would be suspicious of anyone who said they had a lot of faith in either party or politicians in general :)

Both major parties are awful, as fas as I'm concerned. Each has a history of violating American citizens and limiting (or outright destroying) the rights and liberties enumerated within the Constitution.

I have to say I agree. But right now, I find Obama to be lesser of the 2 evils right now. Hopefully the true Republican Party will return without the Religious Right or Tea Party factions and with strong candidates for not only president but congress as well. At least this is my hope.

I'm voting 3rd party, either Americans Elect or the Green Party. It depends on who gets nominated.

I would actually like to see a real 3rd party formed. One that can go toe to toe with Democrats and Republicans. But I won't vote for 3rd party candidates without a solid party backing behind them.

Bottom line is that Obama has been something of a disappointment. Politicians in general are just disgusting in so many ways. That said, the Republican choices make we want to find a nearly empty continent to inhabit. So for me, Obama it is. I frankly don't care what color the POTUS is . A lot of people obviously do and I think that a good part of the acrimony is because of the color of this president's skin.

There are way too many incredibly shallow people who vote. That is why it is important to vote...especially if you happen to live in PA,OH, FL.

One of the things that frightens me about the upcoming election are the people who say things similar to something I heard the other day. NPR (or some radio station) was interviewing people about voting. And they talked to two people about issues & the economy. The woman said something about how she couldn't vote for someone who wants to take away our rights. And the guy said something about how it doesn't matter, and the economy is more important and the debate on gay marriage and civil rights and abortion can wait. That scares me to no end. Rights matter now. We have to live with our choices. Voting for someone just because they promise to fix the economy while taking away our rights is scary stuff.

There are people who want to restrict the vote to onnly people who own property. It's a massive failure of our education system that these people can't see the error of their thinking.

Archived