IGNORED

GOP Senator wants to restrict abortion discussion online

muffynbear

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2011/10 ... ?mobile=nc

DeMint’s amendment would ban women and their doctors from discussing abortion over the Internet:

Anti-choice Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) just filed an anti-choice amendment to a bill related to agriculture, transportation, housing, and other programs. The DeMint amendment could bar discussion of abortion over the Internet and through videoconferencing, even if a woman’s health is at risk and if this kind of communication with her doctor is her best option to receive care.

Under this amendment, women would need a separate, segregated Internet just for talking about abortion care with their doctors.

Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, said DeMint is essentially mandating “an abortion-only version of Skype.†She points out that a woman with high-risk pregnancy talking to her doctor through video conferencing would have to somehow switch to a separate communications system if abortion came up at all. “It is impractical, ridiculous, and, most importantly, bad for women in rural or remote areas who would not be able to discuss the full set of options with their doctor,†Keenan said.

For some reason, none of this shocks me anymore & that's sad. :(

Can't have ppl getting information. They might just start clamouring for their rights.

Edited for riffles.

I have read a feminist zine which tells you explicitly how to abort a pregnancy at home when abortion is made illegal.

It saddens me the US has come to that place.

What is ironic is this:

Proud to stand with freedom loving Americans at AFP's "Hands off My Health Care" rally. Democrats ignored the Constitution when they rammed this government takeover through Congress, and we must continue to work together to fight to fully repeal Obamacare. Health care decisions should be made by patients and doctors, not bureaucrats and politicians.

From his Facebook page.

I commented: Um except when it comes to abortion and women's healthcare.

Proficiency in double-speak is the most basic of skills necessary to be a politician.

I doubt this type of bill will ever get close to passage. So much of this is saber rattling during an election year to appease the right wing. However, isn't it ironic that with all this push for 'hands off my health care" attitude, these same people want to be as intrusive and obstructive with a legal, medical procedure which is integrally connected to women's health? I'm not just talking abortion, but also contraceptives. When fundies think abortion and BCP, they automatically think illicit sex----as if the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix would otherwise never get sick or require surgery and medication to maintain......Yes, I do believe these right wingers believe health care decisions should be left to patients and their doctors...when it comes to payment and access to care they "approve of". Once the health care in question is not something they approve of, then they are all for having bureaucrats and politicians getting in the way of patient/doctor relationship.

I don't understand how he even thinks this can be enforced, especially the video conference bit.

If the Democrates are smart, they will use bills like this to further the public's belief that Republicans are antiwomen.

The Republicans are making it very easy to dislike them.

Oh shit. Well since I still retain SC residency, to DeMint's site (and, hell, Graham's too) I go to complain.

Are the GOP trying to out-douche each other in being the most oppressive towards women? I mean, really, this is just ridiculous.

ETA: looks like I'm not the only one, his site is going very, very slow this morning. I hope this means there are a lot of constituents bitching, but I doubt it does.

What happened to all of that "we need to defend the Constitution" stuff? What part of the First Amendment does he not understand?

I doubt this type of bill will ever get close to passage. So much of this is saber rattling during an election year to appease the right wing. However, isn't it ironic that with all this push for 'hands off my health care" attitude, these same people want to be as intrusive and obstructive with a legal, medical procedure which is integrally connected to women's health? I'm not just talking abortion, but also contraceptives. When fundies think abortion and BCP, they automatically think illicit sex----as if the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix would otherwise never get sick or require surgery and medication to maintain......Yes, I do believe these right wingers believe health care decisions should be left to patients and their doctors...when it comes to payment and access to care they "approve of". Once the health care in question is not something they approve of, then they are all for having bureaucrats and politicians getting in the way of patient/doctor relationship.

It's not so far-fetched considering the legislation that has been passed or attempted to pass recently: personhood laws, transvaginal ultrasounds, ect.

It would not surprise me if there was a loophole for enforcing a policy like this in some dark corner of SOPA/PIPA

Archived