IGNORED

Yoder Family apparently likes to jab at the local Amish- wtf

holierthanyou

A so called supporter of freedom attacks another sects freedoms? Geez. Why am I not suprised?

How did they attack another sect's freedom? The Amish ban on photographs is that their faces can't show. They either blurred out the faces or were too far away to focus in the photo they posted.

Where do these families find these other families outside of ATI meetings if they 'home church'? How does one get invited to a 'home church'? For some reason it seems like a secret society.

I agree 100%. I have been on there blog many times. I always assumed they were Amish.

lol @ the pork joke.

Maybe I"m having a tipsy/bitchy moment, but...really?

you assumed these BLOGGERS were Amish?

I noticed she said Amish name. I also found it humorous that their surname is Yoder, since that is indeed an Amish name. (I don't know why this needs to be said, but for the record... obviously not everyone with an Amish last name is currently practicing Amish. The name is Amish. I recognize that not everyone with that last name attends Amish services, or at least not in this generation.).

There was a blog we discussed a while back by a girl who was becoming Amish.

There son, Logan resembles my younger son. Both are tall and thin with long faces and big round eyes. Oh, and they both have the same wild hair. My husband's family is from Austria but they were Jewish so they aren't our long lost relatives. LOL

Logan doesn't dress like an Amish person. He wears a leather jacket with zippers in one photo and he is dating not courting. Looking over the blog, the family doesn't seem Amish at all.

Is the last name, Yoder only an Amish last name? My husband's grandmother had a very German sounding last name but she wasn't Amish.

edited to add more stuff and to say, Logan could be my son's long lost brother.

In ATI I met several Yoder families that were Mennonite, not Amish.

How does Mennonite beliefs compare to Amish? Do they date?

I really don't know, it was one of these situations where we were just introduced, didn't really talk. They dressed like Amish people but used electricity and modern things. I don't think Amish people would be okay with ATI.

How does Mennonite beliefs compare to Amish? Do they date?

IME, it varies a LOT.

I've known fairly well a few very VERY mainstream Mennonites--who were technology gurus, who were not patriarchal, whose daughters dated, etc.

I've also known some who seemed to me to be 'amish w/ electricity'--but I didn't know them very well :)

Hello, I am Mennonite, and the Yoder family seems to me to be either Mennonite, or with Mennonite roots...the parents may have been Mennonite at some point.

Most Mennonites do date, although some families that I know require the young man to ask the girl's father first, but as far as I can tell, the daughter would have the final say as to whether she wants to date him or not...

There is a very broad spectrum of Mennonites from horse-and-buggy Old Order Mennonites (likely indiscernible from Amish by the general public) to mainstream Mennonites who look like the rest of society.

I grew up in a hugely Mennonite/Amish area, and can pretty much tell be looking at a Mennonite women which group they belong to....

I'd happy to answer any other questions about the Mennonites and/or Anabaptists. I don't personally know any Amish, so my experience is limited there...

Mennonites run the gamut from being Plain People and only a step away from the Amish, to being totally liberal and indistinquishable from other mainstream Christians at first glance.

My poor father was horrified to be courted by a Mennonite Church in the deep south that proclaimed to be liberal Mennonite, only to go there for a trial weekend and discover that they were obssessed with homosexuality and how unBiblical it is. Given he's in a more mainstream and less Southern area, he declined the position. It's not even an issue that comes up in his area in the Liberal Mennonite churches, no moreso than ordination of women, which he assures me the Mennonites were doing LONG before Protestants.

The basic history of the Mennonite *and* Amish are that they are Anabaptists. At the exact same time that Martin Luther was hanging his thesis on a church door, the anabaptists were leaving the Catholic Church of Europe with their own protests. They marked their walk away from Catholicism with a Believer's Baptism, thus they were referred to as the Anabaptists. There were three original leaders of the church but the most Charasmatic was Menno Simons, the ex-priest who ultimately founded the entire movement. Eventually, the Anabaptists branched into the Bethren, Hutterite and the Mennonites. In the 1700s, there was a branch of the Mennonites who felt that the Mennonites were embracing the world and losing sight of the communal aspect of being Anabaptist. They branched off into the Amish. Interestingly enough, starting in the 1850s, different branches of the Amish have concluded that the Amish are simply too conservative and too removed from society around them and trickle back into the Mennonite folds, often creating conservative groups called Amish-Mennonites. IME, few Amish truly understand that their roots trace back to the Mennonites and often assume the Mennonites left them. In reality, it was the other way around.

I'm Liberal Mennonite, but haven't been able to worship in a local congregation since I married as I haven't lived with a Liberal congregation within a 2 hour travel distance to attend. I refuse to attend a conservative Mennonite congregation as much as they would struggle to allow me to attend, as I am not Conservative. Although, the church I attended when I married was Conservative and out of Goshen, our congregation was extremely liberal for Conservative Mennonites (we had a clause in our bylaws that no one was required to agree with the official stance of women in the church as dictated by our church authority, but merely had to respect that was the position of the conference and the Bishop). We only had about 2 women in the congregation that were skirts only and no one covered at all at that point.

Mennonites run the gamut from being Plain People and only a step away from the Amish, to being totally liberal and indistinquishable from other mainstream Christians at first glance.

My poor father was horrified to be courted by a Mennonite Church in the deep south that proclaimed to be liberal Mennonite, only to go there for a trial weekend and discover that they were obssessed with homosexuality and how unBiblical it is. Given he's in a more mainstream and less Southern area, he declined the position. It's not even an issue that comes up in his area in the Liberal Mennonite churches, no moreso than ordination of women, which he assures me the Mennonites were doing LONG before Protestants.

The basic history of the Mennonite *and* Amish are that they are Anabaptists. At the exact same time that Martin Luther was hanging his thesis on a church door, the anabaptists were leaving the Catholic Church of Europe with their own protests. They marked their walk away from Catholicism with a Believer's Baptism, thus they were referred to as the Anabaptists. There were three original leaders of the church but the most Charasmatic was Menno Simons, the ex-priest who ultimately founded the entire movement. Eventually, the Anabaptists branched into the Bethren, Hutterite and the Mennonites. In the 1700s, there was a branch of the Mennonites who felt that the Mennonites were embracing the world and losing sight of the communal aspect of being Anabaptist. They branched off into the Amish. Interestingly enough, starting in the 1850s, different branches of the Amish have concluded that the Amish are simply too conservative and too removed from society around them and trickle back into the Mennonite folds, often creating conservative groups called Amish-Mennonites. IME, few Amish truly understand that their roots trace back to the Mennonites and often assume the Mennonites left them. In reality, it was the other way around.

I'm Liberal Mennonite, but haven't been able to worship in a local congregation since I married as I haven't lived with a Liberal congregation within a 2 hour travel distance to attend. I refuse to attend a conservative Mennonite congregation as much as they would struggle to allow me to attend, as I am not Conservative. Although, the church I attended when I married was Conservative and out of Goshen, our congregation was extremely liberal for Conservative Mennonites (we had a clause in our bylaws that no one was required to agree with the official stance of women in the church as dictated by our church authority, but merely had to respect that was the position of the conference and the Bishop). We only had about 2 women in the congregation that were skirts only and no one covered at all at that point.

I think Goshen is the most liberal place for Mennos in the US. Come on up to Canada though and some liberal Menno churches make Goshen look conservative.

Goshen itself is liberal. It's been years, we were in the Conservative Mennonite Conference out of Rosedale, not liberal but not as conserative as them these days either. Though, it is getting more liberal as time goes on.

I would also argue that the Harrisonburg area and EMU is also very liberal. I find them more liberal than Goshen, ime.

I live about 5 miles away from this family. In fact they are the ones that butchered our broiler chickens for us. My first impression was wth are they Duggar wannabes...lots of kids running all over and a big ol fancy bus that they were getting ready for a trip yet the grounds of the house and barns was disgusting, they certainly dont take time to make a tidy yard. Anyways, they attend, best I can figure one of the nondenominational churches that spring up all over the place here where most of the attendees are former Mennonite or Amish. I see the girls in town from time to time, they dont seem over friendly even when you smile and are pleasant with them.

They say they were never Amish and well in one of the pics there is an Amish lady baking with one of the children so either the mom or dad of this family was at some point Amish?

As far as the pic she took of the Amish the first buggy was full of Swartzentruber Amish they are around here the *low* or *dirty* Amish they are what you think of when you think Amish.

The second buggy was not the low Amish, it was full of ornery boys that have not yet joined the church and are sowing their wild oats and were happy to pose for her...chances are in that buggy they had a car sterio system some alcohol and cell phones (iphones, droids etc).

Never posted before but do enjoy reading! When I saw this thread I thought well now I have something to contribute :)

I'm another liberal Mennonite here- I even attended one of their colleges. There are some liberal Mennonite congregations in California too, but also some very "conservative" liberal Mennonite congregations too.

I'm also not active in a church, as I live over an hour from the closest one.

And FWIW, Amish don't "court," they date. Some groups have some customs that we consider strange or wrong, but they do get to choose who they are dating, not their fathers.

I'm another liberal Mennonite here- I even attended one of their colleges. There are some liberal Mennonite congregations in California too, but also some very "conservative" liberal Mennonite congregations too.

I'm also not active in a church, as I live over an hour from the closest one.

I think there are a disproportionate amount of Mennos represented on FJ. Same here on going to Menno U.

Archived