IGNORED

Yoder Family apparently likes to jab at the local Amish- wtf

holierthanyou

I found this gem of a quote on the yoder family blog today (yoderfarm.blogspot.com):

:While Shan and I were getting pictures out in the field, some buggies with some very loud Amish people drove by, so I grabbed the camera and pointed it at them. (It's against their religion to get their picture taken.) They kept on shouting and posed for me. (Note the thumbs up from the guy in the second buggy.)::

Never mind being disrespectful and rude in general, does anyone else find it particularly "rich" that the Yoder family is the one doing this?

Well, I better head off now, as I have to go throw some pork in my neighbour's supper (it's against her religion to eat pork, so it seems like a funny thing to do).

It is. Part of the irony!

I always thought that Yoder was an Amish name.

I agree 100%. I have been on there blog many times. I always assumed they were Amish.

lol @ the pork joke.

I didn't read that as disrespectful, more like she was teasing them with the camera and they were hamming it up so she snapped a pic of them. It's not a close up and you can't see any detail of the men.

Yoder can be Amish. However, it can also be Mennonite, the Anabaptist group that the Amish splintered off in the first place. Plenty of Yoders are NOT families who left the Amish to become something more liberal. They are often simply Mennonite.

Not sure how I feel about the picture taking of the Amish. It sounds like they felt they were being rude in the first place and responded with a camera. There is a queer relationship with the Amish and their Anabaptist cousins. Other Anabaptists are not called English and are more accepting amongst the Amish than English would be. Amish often rely upon their Anabaptist neighbors for things such as transportation, communication and other things their own Bishops do not permit them to have, but they can seek outside of their community.

edited because i am grumpy.

Totally off topic, but I have to ask:

sassyNoz47 wrote:

We have a town 6 miles away named Yoder, its entirely Amish.

Are you in that town with the salt mine and the space museum? Because I live quite close to there.

Yoder can be Amish. However, it can also be Mennonite, the Anabaptist group that the Amish splintered off in the first place. Plenty of Yoders are NOT families who left the Amish to become something more liberal. They are often simply Mennonite.

Not sure how I feel about the picture taking of the Amish. It sounds like they felt they were being rude in the first place and responded with a camera. There is a queer relationship with the Amish and their Anabaptist cousins. Other Anabaptists are not called English and are more accepting amongst the Amish than English would be. Amish often rely upon their Anabaptist neighbors for things such as transportation, communication and other things their own Bishops do not permit them to have, but they can seek outside of their community.

This.

I went to college with some Yoders who were obviously not Amish, but were mainstream Mennonites.

Guest Anonymous

Wait...these people are Amish or ex-Amish and took pictures of other Amish knowing it was against their beliefs? No..just...no. It's rude to take pictures of people without their consent (of course in a lot pictures you will get a passerby in a shot, but that's different). But, to take a picture of people that you know have a religious belief against it goes beyond rude. It's disrespectful an offensive. And this is coming from someone who has said a whole lot of offensive things lately.

Wait...these people are Amish or ex-Amish and took pictures of other Amish knowing it was against their beliefs? No..just...no. It's rude to take pictures of people without their consent (of course in a lot pictures you will get a passerby in a shot, but that's different). But, to take a picture of people that you know have a religious belief against it goes beyond rude. It's disrespectful an offensive. And this is coming from someone who has said a whole lot of offensive things lately.

That. My husband takes gorgeous photos of Her Maj, but I asked him to not post anything recognizable of her. Just as I feel she has the right to control the use of her image, so does any private person who has not agreed to sit for a photo and signed off on its' release. Leaving religious beliefs out of it, non-celebrities should be able to keep photos from being released without written consent.

Guest Anonymous
non-celebrities should be able to keep photos from being released without written consent.

Completely agree. When I ask for permission to take the pictures, I also ask for permission to post them on my Facebook page and my online family tree. Most of my friends and family don't mind having their picture taken, but a few will ask me not to post it anywhere, and I always honor that request.

I have a friend who gave me a bunch of photos me him and his sister for a christmas project. I shared them with two or three people but no more because the sister asked me not to. When i went hunting for more pictures no facebook i asked the family members before i took the pictures even though they were publically veiwable.

Can somebody post a link to the post that shows these photos? I can't find it. It sounds from the original post that the Amish knew the photos were taken of them, and likely would have retreated into the buggies if they were bothered by it.

And by looking through the Yoder blog it is OBVIOUS that they are not Amish. Not to mention that an Amish family wouldn't have a personal blog- maybe some sort of business website, but not a personal blog. They look to be conservative Mennonite to me. Just to label somebody as a particular religion because of their last name doesn't make much sense to me- especially since we know, and have recently discussed how not everybody raised Amish stays Amish. And as I said, I went to college with some Yoders who were mainstream Mennonite. (yes, as others have said, the Anabaptists run the gamut from Amish to mainstream Christians that look like anybody else and everything in between. If you can go to an MCC sale sometime you'll see them all working together.)

The lInk is in the original post. It's on the first page.

I had found the blog, but didn't find the post. I did finally find it- I don't get why it is a problem, they are obviously posing and too far away to see faces- which is what Amish don't agree with.

And if you look at the first post, they point out that they aren't Amish. Either they are reading here or somebody asked them.

Totally off topic, but I have to ask:

sassyNoz47 wrote:

Are you in that town with the salt mine and the space museum? Because I live quite close to there.

I'm not terribly far from there, either (3 hours, roughly). I sometimes teach at the law enforcement place in Yoder, and my sister lives in the town with the space museum. I always stop at Yoder and buy my husband some pie when I visit there.

SoybeanQueen wrote:

I'm not terribly far from there, either (3 hours, roughly). I sometimes teach at the law enforcement place in Yoder, and my sister lives in the town with the space museum. I always stop at Yoder and buy my husband some pie when I visit there.

I'm in the city with the airplanes. I've been to the town where your sister lives, but I have never stopped in Yoder. I always wanted to go get some cinnamon rolls...

mmmmmmm.... Amish and Mennonite baking; my favourite part of visiting my ancestral homeland.

Several dozen conservative Mennonites moved near here a couple years ago, and I am extremely angry and bitter that they are just farming and haven't started selling pies, cinnamon buns, and apple fritters. What use are fundies who aren't dealing my favourite addictions?

I think they might read here :D

:17. When he hauls Amish teens he tells them that if they throw trash out the window he'll stop the truck and make them pick it up. And he does! (And no, we are not Amish ourselves and never have been, despite our 'Amish sounding' name. To those who were wondering.) ::

From their latest post.

Archived