IGNORED

Mrs. Limbaugh #4 Is Unhappy!

Visionoyahweh

Yeah, but I have a hard time believing the gold digger types would marry him after all the crap he has said throughout the years, especially about women.

Why not? Money's money.

I always thought it was a thing people did to humiliate others. Then I saw a scene in Carnivàle in which a character is tarred and feathered. Oh. That's what that means.

Can someone explain? All I know about this is it was like a non-lethal but extremely painful punishment. Is it now also politically incorrect?

Can someone explain? All I know about this is it was like a non-lethal but extremely painful punishment. Is it now also politically incorrect?

I have always heard tarred and feathered used to mean that someone was unjustly accused of something.

I am just not going to look up stuff about tarring and feathering because I cannot face it again after learning about it the first time in history class, but by all means take yourselves to Google.

It's a really flippant way to refer to torture (comparing it to people being annoyed at your husband), and I hadn't seen that expression used in ages, so I was surprised is all. I had it in my head that it wasn't used any more, because of the connotations with lynching etc?

The N.Enquirer will never win a Pulitzer for its daring exposés but it did break a few stories in the past that turned out to be true.

Love leafing through it when waiting to pay for groceries (shame on me). The tabloid I miss the most is Weekly World News, with Batboy and Dear Dot, the world's snarkiest advice columnist. :lol:

The N.Enquirer will never win a Pulitzer for its daring exposés but it did break a few stories in the past that turned out to be true.

Love leafing through it when waiting to pay for groceries (shame on me). The tabloid I miss the most is Weekly World News, with Batboy and Dear Dot, the world's snarkiest advice columnist. :lol:

Was that the one with all the weird news items? I used to love to look at that while standing in line at the grocery store. It was such a strange tabloid.

Was that the one with all the weird news items? I used to love to look at that while standing in line at the grocery store. It was such a strange tabloid.

Yup, the one with such headlines like: "JFK and Marilyn are alive! They're living on their own private Carribean island!" or "Batboy seen chatting with Hitler at Stalin's 110th birthday party". Bizarre indeed!!

I am just not going to look up stuff about tarring and feathering because I cannot face it again after learning about it the first time in history class, but by all means take yourselves to Google.

It's a really flippant way to refer to torture (comparing it to people being annoyed at your husband), and I hadn't seen that expression used in ages, so I was surprised is all. I had it in my head that it wasn't used any more, because of the connotations with lynching etc?

Tarring and feathering is an old form of torture/humiliation, but does not appear to be have a strong connection to one particular group of people (such as lynching, which most people in the USA connect with the oppression of African Americans). It's believed to be first used in England. According to wikipedia, those who were tarred and feathered include American revolutionaries, Jesuit priests, German collaborators, and many others, and the loyalists in the Irish conflicts used it against their enemies. African Americans were sometimes tarred and feathered, but it was not a punishment targeted only or primarily toward that group or any group.

I cannot find any reliable source that indicates that the phrase "tar and feather" is offensive to any particular group of people. I'm usually pretty sympathetic to PC efforts, but this one stretches it a bit, in my view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarring_and_feathering

As far as it being "flippant", that is a subjective judgment.

Tarring and feathering is an old form of torture/humiliation, but does not appear to be have a strong connection to one particular group of people (such as lynching, which most people in the USA connect with the oppression of African Americans). It's believed to be first used in England. According to wikipedia, those who were tarred and feathered include American revolutionaries, Jesuit priests, German collaborators, and many others, and the loyalists in the Irish conflicts used it against their enemies. African Americans were sometimes tarred and feathered, but it was not a punishment targeted only or primarily toward that group or any group.

I cannot find any reliable source that indicates that the phrase "tar and feather" is offensive to any particular group of people. I'm usually pretty sympathetic to PC efforts, but this one stretches it a bit, in my view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarring_and_feathering

As far as it being "flippant", that is a subjective judgment.

I wasn't trying to be "politically correct" and I didn't say it was offensive. I was surprised and was asking a question about an expression I hadn't heard much and thought wasn't used anymore.

I wasn't trying to be "politically correct" and I didn't say it was offensive. I was surprised and was asking a question about an expression I hadn't heard much and thought wasn't used anymore.

I'm sorry. I just really didn't understand your post it that light, and in looking back, still kind of don't, but you know what you meant, so that's fine.

I have always heard tarred and feathered used to mean that someone was unjustly accused of something.

You are probably thing of 'being tarred by the same brush' which means that you are innocent, but guilty by association.

I do not believe the equierer at all

but, she will likely leave him. This woman is a gold digger. Once the gold stops coming she'sll find another sucker

I quoted the paper because I thought it was funny that even the Enquirer thinks that Rush is crazy

What Rush said was that since the government was paying for her birth control, that everyone else deserves to watch the sex tapes.

Guess what Asshole. :evil: The government pays for my birth control. Why? Because I am the wife of a United States serviceman. And no Rush, you don't get to come into my bedroom, and you don't get a vote on how many children I have or don't have. First, you would need to figure out that hormonal birth control is one set price no matter if you have sex 100 times, or you have sex once. The pill is not a per use item.

The only video I have with this clip in it is by Steven Corbert, who BTW nails this on the head. http://shar.es/phDiC The comment about her owing America a sex tape is at 2:00.

Sorry for the rant. I'm in a foul mood, and you guys just gave me someone to scream about other than at my husband. :oops:

Archived