IGNORED

Joanne from "Narrow Is The Way" totally flips her shit

Koala

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She ignored the questions from the nonChristians. Perhaps she thinks that I was making fun of her but my questions were serious. It would have been interesting to see her answer to the bible verses that say that a Christian woman should remain with her nonbelieving husband.

Also, what the heck was up with hatred against vacations? I know that I keep harping on that but I'd like to hear her reasoning on this.

Also, what the heck was up with hatred against vacations? I know that I keep harping on that but I'd like to hear her reasoning on this.

I kind of get the feeling that this group specializes in "voluntary poverty" (too lazy to work). They can't afford vacations. I suspect that's how vacations became evil atheist traditions.

In other news, Joanne found time to post. Only not here....probably because of all those big words we use :roll:

fewtherebethatfindit.blogspot.com/2012/03/going-overboard.html

Oh wait, one more. It's just so terrible that my children contribute to the family income. But I'm sure it would be acceptable if they were sitting around playing video games or watching tv, right? Or going out on dates? That would be acceptable, but contributing to the family income is not.

No Joanne, your sons should not be working to pay your bills. You're the mom - get a job. But you don't. You send him to work, take his money, and give the rest away. That is by your own account, and that makes you no better than a....wait for it....

THEIF!

In other news, Joanne found time to post. Only not here....probably because of all those big words we use :roll:

No Joanne, your sons should not be working to pay your bills. You're the mom - get a job. But you don't. You send him to work, take his money, and give the rest away. That is by your own account, and that makes you no better than a....wait for it....

THEIF!

If the parents can't work or the parents work and still can't make ends meet, I can understand a child helping out. However, an able bodied parent who refuses to work but still takes her child's money is stealing.

When I was an adolescent, my mother worked as a secretary and sometimes needed my extra babysitting money. I did not mind. Eventually, her mental illness caused her to loose her job and she ended up staying home. Damn straight I resented when she asked for my money. Because I had a sister and brother, I handed over my funds but I still resented mom for not trying to get help.

I did not post that, a friend did (the orignial post by my friend Becky here on my blog http://fewtherebethatfindit.blogspot.co ... ldren.html). I have no idea what Raising Godly Tomatoes is but I have heard of it before (probably when Becky posted that). I tend to stay away from books and websites like that but don't expect everyone to agree.

Fine. You didn't post it, but it's on your blog so that does tend to make others think you advocate for it whether you personally beat your children or not.

Also, DO NOT POST PERSONAL INFORMATION ON THE INTERNET! Capitalized for emphasis. It is very, very dangerous and for your own safety and that of your children, I am advising you out of concern to take your address and phone no. of your blog.

And wow to the fact that you did not know the words in one post. I hope you were joking because if not...wow. I usually don't say anything about typos because I make them too. It happens. But wow, just wow. I am beginning to get a bit concerned about your homeschooling if you were serious.

I believe in God as well, but I know where I stand because I know my philosophy and theology. For someone not married, you sure spend a lot of time on what a Christian wife should be and her submission to a husband you don't even have. I'll never submit to my husband if I get married (early 20s, still young). I would be miserable if I did. My own parents claim I was born fiercely independent. I am used to making my own decisions and have done a great job with them so far. I could never live with a man who thought I was not equal and needed his approval for everything and that I was under him. Despite what you think, I do not have a "place". Jesus did not treat women as lesser beings and allowed them to be his followers. We hear of the twelve disciples, but he had women with him as well. It makes me sad that your daughter will never get any of the amazing opportunities I have, like living on your own or going to college or anything like that. I do not drink or do drugs and have not lost my virginity yet. Went to public schools K-12 as well.

THEIF!

QFT. If my dad lost his job and my parents needed help, I am barey making it as it is, but I would try. To make your son work and take his money because you can't get job because you think based on beliefs you yourself don't understand that you are not allowed to work because you were born a woman and then give whatever is left away is crappy. You may think your children are happy, but you cannot know their hearts for sure. Thief indeed!

edit because it's late, been busy with school stuff and had tornado warnings here even so it's been a long day.

If the parents can't work or the parents work and still can't make ends meet, I can understand a child helping out. However, an able bodied parent who refuses to work but still takes her child's money is stealing.

When I was an adolescent, my mother worked as a secretary and sometimes needed my extra babysitting money. I did not mind. Eventually, her mental illness caused her to loose her job and she ended up staying home. Damn straight I resented when she asked for my money. Because I had a sister and brother, I handed over my funds but I still resented mom for not trying to get help.

Now that my sons are working, most of their money goes to me to support the family. The money is spent on the basics: food, clothing, shelter, gas. Anything beyond the basics is given away. Corban will keep some of his money but he spends it on stuff like gas for the mowers, garden items, tools, things for the house that need repaired, and so on. They all know that the money is not really theirs, it's the Lord's.

That is what kills me about Joanne. She won't work. She may do "busy work" around the church, but the reality is she has 3 kids (2 of which are still minors). According to her post she needs money to cover the basics. That's her job, not his. Her 14 year old is working as well. Why? He should be going to school. I don't care if she has to go mop floors somewhere or pass burgers through a McDonald's window. She needs to be a woman and own up to her responsibilities. She doesn't just get to quit life and force her sons to give up their lives to support her in this little whack job fantasy she's living in. It's ridiculous. Then she has the gall to balk at people paying their kids to do chores. Like I said before, she doesn't give them an allowance - they give her one.

Also, why is his hard earned money being given away? It sounds like they are living hand to mouth as it is. Why can't he keep HIS money? Why can't he save for HIS future? I've got a feeling Joanne doesn't want them around kids their age is because she doesn't want them to find friends/mates and leave her one day. That's why it's a sin for young girls to dream of their futures...

Ughh...

Theology confuses me. I just try to follow Christ. All those big words you used ... I have no idea what most of them mean and I don't care.

How can you follow Christ? You don't understand the most basic things about your Bible or your religion. If you love Christ, educate yourself about your religion.

Fluffyboo took you to school is what just happened here.

Maybe Joann doesn't work because she would then be forced to pollute herself with having conversations with men.

I also would like to know if her first husband dies, would she be reunited with her second husband. I don't remember if her second husband is the father of her children or not, but as a child who was raised fatherless, I hope that her childrens father or fathers are allowed to be very involved in their lives.

I am a christian myself, and a recovering fundamentalist who has learned a lot these last few years. I have laughed at myself as I see my past hypocrisy and self-righteousness (also cried quite a bit too). I used to wear dresses for years and made my daughters do the same. My children were home schooled their whole lives and we really isolated the oldest ones from having friends, as friend were kind of looked at as the enemy, they would draw your children away from God and to the world. We home churched as well with like minded families, but no friendships budded form there for my children.

I'm a totally different mother now and I think my younger children are much better off for it. They are beautiful girls who have been allowed to make decisions, make mistakes, plan for an education, etc. I used to believe girls shouldn't go to college either. Now in my older age, how I wish I would have. I'm doing menial low paying jobs just to make ends meet as my husbands health declined in the past few years and isn't able to work as much anymore. It's not fun thinking about being in my upper 60's working at Walmart.

I know when some christians help other christians out financially, it usually comes with conditions so I'm sure Joanne has to always mention how frugal she is so people know she's not wasting anything and they're more inclined to help her out. I've heard the gossip about how so and so spends money on such and such and we can't even afford that, so we aren't helping them anymore. blah, blah, blah, yes, I have become quite cynical these days. God have mercy on me! I've lost trust in most christian friends, I don't trust them to keep confidences. I still have a couple friends who I don't see too often who truly are my friends for life and I would share anything with them and know they wouldn't judge me or shun me in any way. I wonder if Joanne would become convicted her 2nd divorce was wrong, would she still be welcomed in her church or run out of it.

I find it incredibly amusing she managed to find the time in her incredibly busy schedule of serving the lord to spend an entire day on here, just waiting to refute anyone who dared criticize her oh-so-holy lifestyle.

:roll:

Maybe Joann doesn't work because she would then be forced to pollute herself with having conversations with men.

I also would like to know if her first husband dies, would she be reunited with her second husband. I don't remember if her second husband is the father of her children or not, but as a child who was raised fatherless, I hope that her childrens father or fathers are allowed to be very involved in their lives.

I am a christian myself, and a recovering fundamentalist who has learned a lot these last few years. I have laughed at myself as I see my past hypocrisy and self-righteousness (also cried quite a bit too). I used to wear dresses for years and made my daughters do the same. My children were home schooled their whole lives and we really isolated the oldest ones from having friends, as friend were kind of looked at as the enemy, they would draw your children away from God and to the world. We home churched as well with like minded families, but no friendships budded form there for my children.

I'm a totally different mother now and I think my younger children are much better off for it. They are beautiful girls who have been allowed to make decisions, make mistakes, plan for an education, etc. I used to believe girls shouldn't go to college either. Now in my older age, how I wish I would have. I'm doing menial low paying jobs just to make ends meet as my husbands health declined in the past few years and isn't able to work as much anymore. It's not fun thinking about being in my upper 60's working at Walmart.

I know when some christians help other christians out financially, it usually comes with conditions so I'm sure Joanne has to always mention how frugal she is so people know she's not wasting anything and they're more inclined to help her out. I've heard the gossip about how so and so spends money on such and such and we can't even afford that, so we aren't helping them anymore. blah, blah, blah, yes, I have become quite cynical these days. God have mercy on me! I've lost trust in most christian friends, I don't trust them to keep confidences. I still have a couple friends who I don't see too often who truly are my friends for life and I would share anything with them and know they wouldn't judge me or shun me in any way. I wonder if Joanne would become convicted her 2nd divorce was wrong, would she still be welcomed in her church or run out of it.

Welcome to FJ!

I'm so happy for you and your children, and as far as your own education goes, it really never is too late, if that's what you want to do.

You really have to wonder which "big word" has her stumped :?

That's what I was wondering.... a devoutly religious person who doesn't know what "theology" means?

That's what I was wondering.... a devoutly religious person who doesn't know what "theology" means?

To be fair: I think she was referring to the terms such as "soteriology" and "preterism" that I included in my post.

These shouldn't actually brainy terms for informed Christians. The first is merely the study of salvation, which is greatly debated in theological circles. Saved by grace? Works? Etc.

Preterism is more esoteric, but its an eschatological (study of End Times) term. Preterists believe most Biblical prophecy occurred within the 1st Christian century.

Christians really should know these terms because their church doctrine depends on which side of these issues their pastors stand. There's a reason why there are upwards of 10,000 Christian denominations and sects. For centuries Christians have killed each other over these intellectual battles. I think Joanne claims to be some kind of Anabaptist, in which case she would have been under lethal fire in Luther's day.

I haven't really had time to read Joanne's blog, but she had something like a Christian Dictionary linked to her site. Maybe she should read it.

Fluffy-Boo, I don't think the early church dictionary has terms like that in it. I've read some of it before, and looking at it now I mostly just see biblical words defined, along with regular words and how they are defined biblically. Examples: alms giving, death, Enoch, last days.

It has a 'heresies' section which defines various heresies. That may be the closest it gets to the terms you mentioned.

Meet the church:

thechurchofmonett.blogspot.com/2010/06/street-preaching-with-signs.html

The church site has a link to this gem: http://endtimesapostasydotblogspotdotcom/

If you scroll down past the atheist anthem you can read about the evils of education, and the reason men have a beard while women don't (shocker:it has nothing to do with biology).

:music-tool:

The church site has a link to this gem: http://endtimesapostasydotblogspotdotcom/

If you scroll down past the atheist anthem you can read about the evils of education, and the reason men have a beard while women don't (shocker:it has nothing to do with biology).

:music-tool:

You win the prize! That is the craziest thing I've seen in a while :clap:

Fluffy-Boo, I don't think the early church dictionary has terms like that in it. I've read some of it before, and looking at it now I mostly just see biblical words defined, along with regular words and how they are defined biblically. Examples: alms giving, death, Enoch, last days.

It has a 'heresies' section which defines various heresies. That may be the closest it gets to the terms you mentioned.

Okay, I actually pained myself to go and take a look at it. No soteriology, but it does have the word "Hermaneutic" which I used in my post. There's a biggie for Joanne. HURRRR-MANNN-NEW-TICK. Let's use it in a sentence:

"Joanne, your hermaneutic for head-coverings contradicts your hermaneutic for divorce."

Or...

"Joanne, your blog is hermaneutically abysmal."

At the end of the day, Joanne's time would be better off reading a nautical ephemeris than updating her website. This dictionary will do fine ;) .

Okay, I actually pained myself to go and take a look at it. No soteriology, but it does have the word "Hermaneutic" which I used in my post. There's a biggie for Joanne. HURRRR-MANNN-NEW-TICK. Let's use it in a sentence:

"Joanne, your hermaneutic for head-coverings contradicts your hermaneutic for divorce."

Or...

"Joanne, your blog is hermaneutically abysmal."

At the end of the day, Joanne's time would be better off reading a nautical ephemeris than updating her website. This dictionary will do fine ;) .

:lol: :clap:

Welcome to Free Jinger, Fluffy-Boo! I think you're going to fit in here just fine...

You win the prize! That is the craziest thing I've seen in a while :clap:

Whenever I think I've found the craziest, most ignorant fundie of all time...there's always a worse one.

Joanne, you say it's wrong for young people to be alone with the opposite sex. Does that include children? Because for most of my childhood I would frequently stay the night at my friend's house, who was a boy, and exactly the same age as me. We're talking about when we were six years old. I think it's a bit wrong to say there was anything sexual about that. We were children!

When I went to university I stayed in halls of residence, which was mixed, and then lived in houses with men and women. I never fornicated with any of my guy housemates, and we all saw each other in our underwear. Still, no fornicating! Seeing each other in scanty clothing doesn't have to make you attracted to one another. We just liked hanging out with each other. Do you think it's possible for members of the opposite sex, of any age, to hang out and it not be sexual? I think it's kind of sad to say your friendships must be limited to your own sex. Some of my best friends are male.

On another note, I thought Jesus was all about love. Surely He would be pleased that you and your ex-husband had found love together after previous failed relationships?

Damn, I leave FJ for half a day and miss the wildlife. :(

Ain't that the truth?

This is what makes fundie-watching so fascinating. For me, it's trying to read between the lines to figure out whether these people are consciously lying or whether they're truly incognizant of their own motivations.

Now Joanne has written a great deal about atheists, but it is clear that she can't engage with them - in fact she has to ask whether someone is an atheist before committing to to a public exchange. Talk to her about the Bible and she's fine: she'll argue points of doctrine quite happily (unless there are some big words involved). But try to get her to account for the claims she made about atheists that can actually be proven or falsified, and watch the hasty retreat! Does she have data that supports her assertion that "all" non-believers "get educations and high paying office jobs/ So we can take vacations and spend it all like snobs." Does she have a source for her claim that evolutionary biologists believe that gender identity crises are "part of the process to evolve"?

I was thinking - in secular professions, particularly in academia, you aren't allowed to make unsupported claims. This is intellectually dishonest and people consider it to be lying. Professionals are bound by ethics laws and guidelines like the Hippocratic oath. A medical doctor cannot tell Joanne that prayer alone will cure her child's cancer. An anthropologist cannot make an unfounded assertion on a blog like "All anabaptists like Joanne believe in the absolute supremacy of the Pope" without compromising their professional integrity - try getting published after that unless you made it clear that it was some kind of joke. Yet fundies can do both, and I think it strange that no one can point to the strawman version of evolution that she sets up as a record of her dishonesty.

So I put it to FJ: is this intellectual dishonesty or is Joanne oblivious to her own failures in reasoning? Is she reading off a script ("whatever your do, don't ever respond to atheists on a public forum directly!") or is she just parroting the style of her teachers/ pastors, or what?

Honestly, it doesn't pay to put any intellectual effort in contemplating Joanne. She may only have come here to get enough material to feed her martyr complex. You know, "they say I am a bad mother because..." I suspect this because she didn't engage in any real serious theological discussions (claiming she couldn't understand the terminology) and because she didn't answer any questions ("Why are vacations evil?"). So nothing anybody says is going to convince her to reconsider her whacky positions, but it's going to convince her and her fellow Church of Monnettians that she's a poor persecuted Christian.

Best to ignore her, I think, even if she's provided some wonderful snarking material!

Archived