IGNORED

Santorum And College

debrand

My hope is that if Frothy does get the nomination, that moderate Republicans and independent voters vote for Obama in a major landslide. If that does happen, hopefully the Republican party will grow a backbone and kick the nuts out.

you'd think...but then, i swear, he would somehow manage to get elected.

This country's voters never cease to amaze me. I was certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that Dubya would never get re-elected, and then...

(also, i come from the state o' jesse helms...)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was gonna add that, as always, people need to GET OUT AND FREAKING VOTE.

but then i wondered...i know zsu doesn't vote (she's not a citizen, but has said she wouldn't even if she could)...do many/most of our fundy women not vote? Cause if they did...

Does anyone else ever feel like we are playing some political version of that childhood where you do and say everything opposite?

Birth control, public education, college, what else? These all were uniformly considered good things just a few years ago. Now Republicans are climbing over each other to act like our only national problems are some married women in charge of their own fertility and smart high schoolers wanting to go to a university.

Actually, I was thinking of childhood when kids would make fun of anyone who scored higher than a B on a test. How has being uneducated and ignorant become admirable? It's terrifying, and especially since all the studies I've read suggest that this demographic is going to explode in the next 25 years, while the rest of us are going to be taking our birth control & sanity pills until we're bred out.

Guess the QFs have it right. I'm not sure breeding a feminist army has ever made so much sense before. Now to find someone who wants to do it...

Edited, because breeded ain't nary a word.

http://www.catholicvote.org/discuss/index.php?p=25088

Santorum doesn't think women should attend college or have careers, but his daughter is a college student with actual career aspirations. Yet she adores everything he says :(

I feel kind of dirty after reading it. But what else is she supposed to say? Poor kid...if your last name now meant a frothy mix of fecal matter and lube, I would probably try to do everything in my power to not think at all too.

My mom told me about this, and I proposed we pack Santorum back in his box and send him back where he came from.

My mom was the first woman in her family to graduate from college. I will be the second. And I hope to become the first person on either side of the family to get a Ph.D. Santorum will have to pry my education from my cold, dead hands.

You go, girl! :lol:

My generation is the first on either side of my family to have anyone graduate from college, and our parents all worked their asses off to get us through. My dad works in a factory and my step-mother worked as a cashier to help me through college, and that plus scholarships and student loans helped me earn my B.S. Santorum (who was Senator in PA when I was earning my degree there) can kiss my big, fat ass. I'm sure that, as part of a blue collar family, I would be one of the people who he would say shouldn't get a college education.

He apparently wants to go back to the time when only the rich could go to college.

Interesting comment from a guy who is senator of a state in which the major export seems to be college graduates.

Too funny - I grew up in and got my degree in PA, yet I moved out to WA about a week after graduation, LOL!

Does anyone else ever feel like we are playing some political version of that childhood where you do and say everything opposite?

Birth control, public education, college, what else? These all were uniformly considered good things just a few years ago. Now Republicans are climbing over each other to act like our only national problems are some married women in charge of their own fertility and smart high schoolers wanting to go to a university.

Seriously I thought I would be done defending education for women, free access to BC and abortions by the time I hit fifty. Then I figured I'd give it a few more years... But this shit is like the friggin energizer bunny, the assaults on citizens freedoms keeps on coming. Mind you I'm not a pal of any of the patriot acts, but this is simple shit, a womans autonomy over her body.

Seriously I thought I would be done defending education for women, free access to BC and abortions by the time I hit fifty. Then I figured I'd give it a few more years... But this shit is like the friggin energizer bunny, the assaults on citizens freedoms keeps on coming. Mind you I'm not a pal of any of the patriot acts, but this is simple shit, a womans autonomy over her body.

I'm definitely stunned, as well. My biggest concern was Roe being overturned in the next decade. Where the F*CK did this birth control thing come from? And I'm afraid that women from my generation (age 35) and younger don't understand what we're up against, because we've never been in this position. My mother was old enough to be my grandmother, and she gave me an earful of what it was like to be an 18 year old working class woman in 1953. I don't need to have been there, and I don't ever want to be there.

My biggest concern was Roe being overturned in the next decade. Where the F*CK did this birth control thing come from? And I'm afraid that women from my generation (age 35) and younger don't understand what we're up against, because we've never been in this position. My mother was old enough to be my grandmother, and she gave me an earful of what it was like to be an 18 year old working class woman in 1953. I don't need to have been there, and I don't ever want to be there.

They don't even have to overturn Roe...they just have to keep chipping away, making it harder and harder to get an abortion, especially if you don't have a support system.

The birth control thing, I think, is just an outgrowth of the idea that chipping away at Roe will do more long-term damage. people don't realize that Griswold v. Conneticut wasn't that long ago. Santorum even criticizes the decision as bad law in his book. People keep trying to spin it as not wanting to pay for dirty sluts to get their freak on, and it pisses me off.

“I understand why Barack Obama wants to send every kid to college, because of their indoctrination mills, absolutely," he said. "The indoctrination that is going on at the university level is a harm to our country.â€

Santorum told Beck [yes, Glen Beck] that “62 percent of kids who go into college with a faith commitment leave without it,†but failed to say where he found that figure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/2 ... ir=College

What....the...what?

I don't know if I'm angry or amused. A bit out of touch much, Rick? I've experienced both liberal, conservative, and even communist theory in classes. The point is to think about all viewpoints, not just one.

Oh, just as I'm writing this Nightly News plugged a clip of him saying "Obama thinks everyone should go to college, such a snob!"

REALLY? A snob? :roll: I really have no idea how this argument is a good campaign tactic.

They don't even have to overturn Roe...they just have to keep chipping away, making it harder and harder to get an abortion, especially if you don't have a support system.

The birth control thing, I think, is just an outgrowth of the idea that chipping away at Roe will do more long-term damage. people don't realize that Griswold v. Conneticut wasn't that long ago. Santorum even criticizes the decision as bad law in his book. People keep trying to spin it as not wanting to pay for dirty sluts to get their freak on, and it pisses me off.

Right, but Frothy's rise to credibility has still left me dizzy. The "chip away at Roe" agenda was obvious, but they still tried to keep it on the down low. NOTHING is down low about Frothy. He is flying his freak flag loud & proud.

http://www.catholicvote.org/discuss/index.php?p=25088

Santorum doesn't think women should attend college or have careers, but his daughter is a college student with actual career aspirations. Yet she adores everything he says :(

This is from the interview with Santorum's daughter

Is your generation going to defend traditional marriage? Or will the attacks on your father — and on you since you have gotten more involved — simply scare people off and make them feel like bigots?

In an overwhelming majority of the states where marriage laws have been contested, traditional marriage has won — including in California. I believe this is because when people hear the arguments about why traditional marriage is a foundational institution in our society, they see that it is one that is too economically and socially important to change. The people in these states understand that this is a policy disagreement, not a personal one. In addition, I believe, like my Dad, that people have a right to live the lives they choose and that we should have respect for the dignity of all life.

Feel like bigots? Being a bigot has nothing to do with your feelings. You either are one or you're not.

I don't see any reason why same sex marriage would be an economic threat to society.

Her last sentence makes no sense. She believes that people should live the life they choose unless their gay.

Frothy stepped into a puddle of Santorum with his comment. And now the Republican reaction sounds like a love fest for the president. Its getting pretty obvious that the party is more than irked with him. News link unbroken

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/2 ... f=politics

Only partially quoted:

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Some of the leading Republican governors are coming to President Barack Obama's defense against charges from former Senator Rick Santorum that the president's push for universal higher education amounts to intellectual and political snobbery.

Speaking to reporters outside of the White House after a meeting between the nation's governors and the president, Gov. Bob McDonnell went out of his way to praise the administration's education policy, calling it one of the few areas of bipartisan consensus. He added that the pursuit of a college education was something that all lawmakers should push students to consider.

"I wish [santorum] had said it differently," said the Virginia Republican. "I'm pushing in Virginia this year 100,000 new degrees over the next 15 years. I want more college graduates. But that means community college and four-year universities, but not to the exclusion of realizing that some people are going to graduate from high school and be in the trades. What we say is we want somebody to be career ready or college ready. If we haven't done one of those two things for the young people, we have failed you."

McDonnell's comments represent the second time in as many days that a surrogate for former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney sided with the president over Santorum. On CBS' "Face the Nation," Gov. Chris Christie was characteristically blunt in downplaying Santorum's criticism of Obama as a "snob" for wanting "everybody in America to go to college."

Right, but Frothy's rise to credibility has still left me dizzy. The "chip away at Roe" agenda was obvious, but they still tried to keep it on the down low. NOTHING is down low about Frothy. He is flying his freak flag loud & proud.

I think he knows that he has to keep the evangelical base, but I also think he genuinely believes his craziness.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/2 ... ir=College

What....the...what?

I don't know if I'm angry or amused. A bit out of touch much, Rick? I've experienced both liberal, conservative, and even communist theory in classes. The point is to think about all viewpoints, not just one.

Oh, just as I'm writing this Nightly News plugged a clip of him saying "Obama thinks everyone should go to college, such a snob!"

REALLY? A snob? :roll: I really have no idea how this argument is a good campaign tactic.

I...just...wow. :doh: Stupid, stupid, stupid!! :confusion-scratchheadblue: Does he really believe this stuff? :shock: There are a lot of moderate and conservative college professors.

I am taking 3 courses this semester. Out of those 3 courses, 1 professor is liberal, one is a moderate, and the other is a conservative-leaning moderate. That means that I will often hear 3 different viewpoints on the same subject, but I don't mind. It keeps lectures interesting.

I think he knows that he has to keep the evangelical base, but I also think he genuinely believes his craziness.

That's my vote, too. I thought he would use the fundies and then drop them, but his latest round of comments have blown my mind. He really is a few quarts shy of an oil change.

Same-sex marriage an economic threat...that must be why Canada's economy is worse...oh wait. :roll:

and why Google is pushing for marriage equality, and why New York persuaded a lot of people by stating the economic benefits. *eyerolls in agreement!*

Didn't President Obama put a lot of money into community colleges recently? While there's some great ones and some great programs, they're not exactly known as bastions of academia and intellectualism, and lots of them lead to degrees quickly and flexibly, as well as offer more vocationally oriented degrees. It's not like he started an extra funding program for the Seven Sisters or anything.

Guest Anonymous

Anyone else have facebook friends who support this moron? I have a high school classmate of mine who is now a state assemblywoman and she totally supports Santorum. She recently spoke at a CA GOP convention and was raving about him. Scary thing was the comments. People actually want to vote for him. Do they not read the same things I read about him? Do they just ignore these things? I don't get it.

and why Google is pushing for marriage equality, and why New York persuaded a lot of people by stating the economic benefits. *eyerolls in agreement!*

Didn't President Obama put a lot of money into community colleges recently? While there's some great ones and some great programs, they're not exactly known as bastions of academia and intellectualism, and lots of them lead to degrees quickly and flexibly, as well as offer more vocationally oriented degrees. It's not like he started an extra funding program for the Seven Sisters or anything.

Santorum wants for profit diploma mills. Its business, follow the money. In a perfect world he'd have Wakenhunt or Corrections Corp of America running 'higher' education.

Somehow I survived Reagan, Bush I and 'W' and remained unscathed. Santorum is scaring me, no really, look at all the countries in the Middle East that fundamentalish Muslims took over. Could it happen here? I was laughing, but when I see actual Americans praising Santorum and voting for him I have to believe there is something in the water or subliminal messages on TV. Santorum's following remind me of religious terrorists.

well said, baylee. that's exactly how i feel, and what i was trying to say a few pages back.

it boggles that this guy could be taken seriously at all, much less get elected....but, well, here we are!

With every stupid comment made my Santorum, I imagine him digging his own grave even deeper!

What will be his next idiotic comment?

"I believe that public schools are not a right. I plan to abolish the school systems so that every family will force their women to stay home and homeschool- just like God commanded!"

"Women should be wearing clothes back before the sufferage- the good ol' days when women knew their place!"

"If I become president, I will see to it that the United States resemble The Handmaid's Tale!"

Archived