IGNORED

Re: Lilies of the 80's couch upholstery field

Free2BeMe

The baby looks adorable! I could just squish him.

Aww, I would just eat him. canniballism, YAY!!!!!! :D

Just kidding, really. but please don't squish him, that makes me think of something graphic I saw in this movie once. A 400 lb man sat on a 3 week old baby...

The white dresses are kind of nice, but I really think that those dresses were made out of drapes from the 1900 s.

Aww, I would just eat him. canniballism, YAY!!!!!! :D

Just kidding, really. but please don't squish him, that makes me think of something graphic I saw in this movie once. A 400 lb man sat on a 3 week old baby...

The white dresses are kind of nice, but I really think that those dresses were made out of drapes from the 1900 s.

I will just squish him a little bit..I promise. Not enough to hurt but enough to get a baby style cuddle.

I will just squish him a little bit..I promise. Not enough to hurt but enough to get a baby style cuddle.

Aww, good. Don't want anymore baby brains coming out of their eyes and blod coming from... I'll just stop there... so, how bout that Smuggar?! :shifty:

Ah, Lilies of the Field. I go to their site every once in a while just to see who would buy that stuff. Matching fundies, check, tacky florals, check, clothing that's decades out of date, check....

Ah, Lilies of the Field. I go to their site every once in a while just to see who would buy that stuff. Matching fundies, check, tacky florals, check, clothing that's decades out of date, check....

It's not that they wear what they wear (although I realize this is a site for snark), but why. If they've each sincerely chosen to dress that way, then I say, more power to them. However, being familiar with the fundie mindset, I doubt whether the females, particularly the daughters, have any choice in the matter. That's what bothers me. (I adore vintage and historical fashions, personally).

I checked out their fabric selections. Wow. That is a whoooole lotta ugly.

I can understand the desire to dress in a manner that is non-revealing. I will never understand why so many of the "modest dress" folks insist upon wearing clothes that are so wretchedly ugly and unflattering, however. Then again, I'm not loaded up with religiously-sanctioned shame and self-abnegating hatred of myself as a woman, so I doubt I ever will.

I can understand the desire to dress in a manner that is non-revealing. I will never understand why so many of the "modest dress" folks insist upon wearing clothes that are so wretchedly ugly and unflattering, however. Then again, I'm not loaded up with religiously-sanctioned shame and self-abnegating hatred of myself as a woman, so I doubt I ever will.

I have a skin condition which means that I dress 'modestly' (arms being my main concern). However, I find that fashion blogs run by Muslim women or sometimes hip LDS women show a way of covering up that is pretty and flattering. Sites like Lilies of the Field....do not.

I swear, the kid in white (center,girl) looks like one of those FLDS brides.

:shock:

What do y'all think?

Yeah. Unfortunately for a time in the 80's, those sleeves were the "in" thing for junior high school graduation and school dances. I have some proud photos of childhood friends wearing those, I'm sure they are cringing over it now! :D

I doubt the girls have much choice and if they did they wouldn't pick old lady shoes. Or worse they would because they don't know any better.

You can do the skirt thing without massacring a furniture store.

I have to say though, aside from the fabric choices and styles that are from a long ago era, the dresses are actually pretty well made. Compared to the crappy ones the Bates wear, or what the Duggars used to wear, these seem almost professionally made.

Also this too. I've even been known to buy some clothes from officially "tsnius" websites - it's possible to be modest and wearing a long skirt and still look somewhat fashionable, modern, or dare I say it sporty.

Far too many fundies (well, Christian fundies) seem to want to run to either "Little House on the Prairie" or some gawdawful version of Regency wear all the time. Then they will say people stare at them because modesty is such a shocking thing in the US, or some sort of thing. No dear, people stare because you look like you're wearing a period costume. A period costume made out of discount curtains.

As for the white dress in this photo though, it's entirely possible it was professionally made - they were in fashion for a time, not all THAT long ago.

Also this too. I've even been known to buy some clothes from officially "tsnius" websites - it's possible to be modest and wearing a long skirt and still look somewhat fashionable, modern, or dare I say it sporty.

Far too many fundies (well, Christian fundies) seem to want to run to either "Little House on the Prairie" or some gawdawful version of Regency wear all the time. Then they will say people stare at them because modesty is such a shocking thing in the US, or some sort of thing. No dear, people stare because you look like you're wearing a period costume. A period costume made out of discount curtains.

As for the white dress in this photo though, it's entirely possible it was professionally made - they were in fashion for a time, not all THAT long ago.

I have never got the wearing-'period'-dress-in-public thing. It's fine (and awesome, even) to have a period/period-inspired dress for a special occasion, eg a wedding or prom, or for some kind of re-enactment. But why would you wear it to buy groceries? You can be modest in a modern way. I hate the way some of these women romanticise the past - bet they wouldn't feel that way if they were not white (and the only non-white fundies I've come across are the Bauchams and Lina who I'm guessing is Hispanic/of Hispanic descent). Actually I have to say, I quite like Lina's more hippy-type style.

Yes, this!

Archived