IGNORED

My sister's enounter with a fundie in the doctor's offce

Guest geniebelle

A story about vaccine reactions:

A little girl got several vaccines during a well check up. Less than ten minutes later she had a seizure. It would be the first of many as she developed epilepsy.

Only that's not what happened. The doctor was running late and the little girl has the seizure in the waiting room, before she had any of the shots.

This is why individual data is next to useless in assessing risk, and why we use statistics to help us figure out the difference between causation and correlation. We are, on our own, not capable of telling the difference between a temporal association and an actual causal association.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a story about vaccine reactions:

My friend's baby had her 6 month checkup. That night she developed a high fever and had to be hospitalized. Even after she left the hospital, she was never the same. She began regressing in skills and developing strange behavior. She was later diagnosed with severe autism.

Was the autism caused by the shots? No, because my friend was against vaccination. None of her children have ever been vaccinated.

I have a story about vaccine reactions:

My friend's baby had her 6 month checkup. That night she developed a high fever and had to be hospitalized. Even after she left the hospital, she was never the same. She began regressing in skills and developing strange behavior. She was later diagnosed with severe autism.

Was the autism caused by the shots? No, because my friend was against vaccination. None of her children have ever been vaccinated.

Two of three of my half-sister's unvaxed kids are on the spectrum.

I had the Gardasil shots done about 2-3 years ago. I'm all for ways to not get cancer, and I actually know someone whose mother died of cervical cancer. I didn't have any sort of reaction and it was certainly a lot less painful than the tetanus shot I got shortly afterwards.

They did have at least one teenage girl faint... the nurse thought she was bending over to tie her shoe and instead she just face planted on the floor. I slouched a bit in the seat after one of the shots and scared the crap out of the nurse because she thought I was going to faint too. Who knows if that was caused by something in the vaccine or just the fact that the girl had to get a shot, though? Some people just react badly to needles, regardless of what's in them.

Excellent. I was just thinking that Free Jinger needs to extend more threads into discussions on the pros and cons of vaccinations.

I have provided the image below for your viewing and chatting pleasure (also because I want to watch a thread grow to 1000 pages in one hour).

[attachment=0]freejingerwar.png[/attachment]

http://vactruth.com/

I chose not to vacinate my DD after doing research an dsince I homeschool her and she is not interested in boys or going out socally it isnt a worry right now.I have issues with using children as lab rats when the study was not fully disclosing. If you really look hard you can find a lot of info about Guardisil. If my DD chooses to have it later it is her choice.

The whole point of the younger age recommendation is to give the vaccine BEFORE someone becomes sexually active so they have antibodies towards HPV when they are at risk to be exposed to HPV.

My kids will both be getting the shots. I've only had one sexual partner, and I married him, but I have HPV and have had LEEP procedures. Not fun, and they caused cervical incompetence and pregnancy issues. I wish my husband and I both could have gotten it.

As to the OP, I don't like the word "whore" and I wouldn't be too happy if my kids used it.

My mom wouldn't let my sister and I get the HPV vaccine because she said it was too new and untested and she was worried about side effects. I'm 18 now and last semester when I was in the student health center for a cold, the doctor told me that they were offering the shots for free that weekend. I took the info but didn't have it done. My sis and I are vaccinated for everything but HPV and the flu. We have a strong fear of the flu shot around here and my mom turns the doctors down each and every time. I had the flu two years ago and the year before that and got over it fine, so I don't think I need the vaccine. Still undecided about the guardasil though

As someone who cannot receive most vaccinations due to severe allergies, I appreciate when those who can, do. (I found out last Autumn that I was even allergic to the tetanus shot. Someone wanna get me a plastic bubble? :D)

My mom wouldn't let my sister and I get the HPV vaccine because she said it was too new and untested and she was worried about side effects. I'm 18 now and last semester when I was in the student health center for a cold, the doctor told me that they were offering the shots for free that weekend. I took the info but didn't have it done. My sis and I are vaccinated for everything but HPV and the flu. We have a strong fear of the flu shot around here and my mom turns the doctors down each and every time. I had the flu two years ago and the year before that and got over it fine, so I don't think I need the vaccine. Still undecided about the guardasil though

I confess I don't understand people who don't get flu shots (including myself for most of my life). Once I discovered the flu shot I realized I could save myself 24-96 hours of misery a year by getting one tiny, painless, quick injection. When I was in college, I couldn't afford to be down during finals week and reading period, so I decided to start getting the shot and I have never looked back.

In the UK we don't use Gardasil, we use the cheaper (and covering less strains of HPV) Cervarix. I was part of the programme that vaccinated girls (I didn't vax, as I'm not a nurse, I assisted). We had a few who fainted, we also had many who complained of sore arms or fevers etc. And parents would phone us, panicking, to report this, even though they were known side effects.

There were many parents, not even religious/fundy, that believed giving this vaccine would make their daughters promiscuous, or would give them cancer. Many said that their daughters were going to remain virgins until marriage, so they didn't need it. The answer I heard given most often was "But will their husband be a virgin too? How will you know?"

I tend to sit firmly in the vax camp. My son has always got fevers from his vaccines, I just deal with it. He won't need any more for 10 years now.

I'm strongly pro vaccine because I got Rubella a year before the MMR was licensed in the UK. I developed meningitis from it (a rare, but known complication) and was left with migraines, sensorineural hearing loss, peripheral vision loss and visual processing problems. I would not have any of my children suffer as I have. I've had 3 rounds of MMR now. When I was pregnant, they test your immunity to see if you are immune to Rubella as it can cause congenital problems, and I was immune. :D So, when I started my new job and was required to have the MMR I was able to give documentation that I was immune.

I honestly had worse problems from having the H1N1 vaccine. I'd already had H1N1, but had to have the vaccine for work (again). I ended up with a fever, an extremely sore and swollen arm, and it caused my fibromyalgia to flare for a few days. But I still had it, because after having swine flu I developed an extremely bad chest infection and my asthma got worse. My son had H1N1 twice, so I knew it was possible to get it more than once.

As far as vaccinating goes, I feel that side effects and bad reactions are part and parcel, and often part of the process of developing immunity to these illnesses. No, they're not pleasant, but speaking from experience, it can be far worse not being vaccinated In my view, if you actually have an allergy to an ingredient in a vaccine, or to anything used in its production, then yeah, fair enough don't have it, otherwise I tend to think the benefits outweigh the risks.

http://vactruth.com/

I chose not to vacinate my DD after doing research an dsince I homeschool her and she is not interested in boys or going out socally it isnt a worry right now..

:doh:

You're essentially burying your head in the sand if you think homeschooling is going to necessarily prevent your child from engaging sexual activity. I'm not sure how old your child is, but kids are experimenting at quite young ages these days. As in 5th and 6th grade. Kids/teenagers can be pretty sneaky, even while living under their parents' thumbs. (Plus, you don't have to have sex to get HPV.)

The whole point of the younger age recommendation is to give the vaccine BEFORE someone becomes sexually active so they have antibodies towards HPV when they are at risk to be exposed to HPV.

Exactly!

I confess I don't understand people who don't get flu shots (including myself for most of my life). Once I discovered the flu shot I realized I could save myself 24-96 hours of misery a year by getting one tiny, painless, quick injection. When I was in college, I couldn't afford to be down during finals week and reading period, so I decided to start getting the shot and I have never looked back.

I'm 23 and can count on one hand the amount of times I've had flu (real flu, not just a cold) and none have been within the last 5 years, so I've never bothered.

I can understand not wanting the flu vaccine, because it's not as exact - they don't always get the right strain for that year, and there's not as much time to test it. I'm very pro-vaccine, but pretty indifferent to the flu one. I do think it makes sense if you are at risk for complications, or if you work with a high-risk population (eg most hospitals require employees who have contact with patients to get the flu vaccine).

My husband and I don't get the flu shot. The last time we did, my husband got very sick with the flu. The years since that we haven't gotten the shot we haven't gotten it.

My husband and I don't get the flu shot. The last time we did, my husband got very sick with the flu. The years since that we haven't gotten the shot we haven't gotten it.

This is the reason why we aren't allowed. My father was in the Marines during the height of the Gulf War. He had a lot of vaccines but after getting the flu shot he was very ill that night and it continued for days. He went to several doctors and they didn't know what was wrong. At that point one of his kidneys was failing but it wasn't anything acute, chronic, etc. The doctors said it seemed to come from out of nowhere. He's since had a kidney transplant and is on the list for another but he's been sick all my life. There's no real evidence that the flu shot was the direct cause of his illness, but because his illness came on so suddenly after it made my mom paranoid of the flu shot. The flu never lasts long for me and is never particularly bad so I'm not bothered by it

I've had the flu 1 time in my memory and that was during a very bad flu year with hundreds of children dieing from it. My family and I were very sick for about 3-4 weeks and the first 2 weeks we could have died if not for family/friends who checked in on us every few hours. It really was scary knowing that if you had to rush your baby to the hospital you could as you were to sick. No, I didn't think of 911 because I was that out of my head. :doh:

Anyway, I and my family still get the flu shot every year not because of the one time we had but because I have to care for my very fragile health sister who the flu would kill in days if not hours. I just can't risk her health by not being able to be there for her. :snooty:

Yeah that's the catch. When I do get sick I risk my dad catching it, which is dangerous because he's on immune suppressants but I'm so nervous to have it done and be in a similar boat. Usually when I get sick I just quarantine myself in my room or the basement and steer clear of everyone in the house

I didn't get the HPV shot. You can still get Cervical Cancer even if you have the shot as it only protects from a couple strains. I feel like HPV would only affect me if I got it so it is not the same as other vaccines. But vactruth to justify against it? Is that a joke?

I personally haven't ever gotten the flu vaccines, because I have been very, very blessed to have never had the flu. *knocks on wood three times*. If I did catch the flu, I will regret this decision I am sure, but if I ever did and I certainly hope I never do, I will be getting the vax from then on. I just feel like I will be jinxing myself by getting it. Yes, I know it's crazy.

Yeah that's the catch. When I do get sick I risk my dad catching it, which is dangerous because he's on immune suppressants but I'm so nervous to have it done and be in a similar boat. Usually when I get sick I just quarantine myself in my room or the basement and steer clear of everyone in the house

Your fear of the vaccination is no different than a child scared of the boogey man under her bed. On the other hand, not getting the vaccination could cause serious harm to someone you love.

Why is this even a thing?

I feel like HPV would only affect me if I got it so it is not the same as other vaccines.

You and anyone you have sex with. And anyone they have sex with. And so on.

Your fear of the vaccination is no different than a child scared of the boogey man under her bed. On the other hand, not getting the vaccination could cause serious harm to someone you love.

Why is this even a thing?

You and anyone you have sex with. And anyone they have sex with. And so on.

I don't know. It's just a thing I have. I know the risks are small but seeing the it first hand makes me nervous.

Archived