IGNORED

My sister's enounter with a fundie in the doctor's offce

Guest geniebelle

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I choose not to get it. Just like a ton of ppl I am afraid of long term effects of anything, so I chose to not get it. I don't have a family history of cancer, so I feel with the limited knowledge that I have of the long term effects I won't be getting it.

My niece is a spitfire and a smart mouth? Gee...I wonder where she got that from? :lol:

From being around an Aunt that supports the idea that women shouldn't be treated equally to men?

Torch me, but I wouldn't let my daughter get the vaccine, either.

I'm just surprised at the nerve of someone, especially a fundie-type, using the word whore to a stranger sitting in a doctor's office. I would have been too shocked to reply if a fundie said that to me. :lol:

I have a friend who, while still in high school, was sitting outside a store one day with her boyfriend and her one year old brother waiting for her mom to finish purchasing an item. A woman came up to them and started yelling at them. She went on and on about teenage pregnancy and about how my friend was a whore and what not. When she told the woman that the child was her brother, not her son, the woman stopped yelling and just turned around and left. No apology or anything. So, yeah, people can be that judgmental and rude.

http://vactruth.com/

I chose not to vacinate my DD after doing research an dsince I homeschool her and she is not interested in boys or going out socally it isnt a worry right now.I have issues with using children as lab rats when the study was not fully disclosing. If you really look hard you can find a lot of info about Guardisil. If my DD chooses to have it later it is her choice.

I chose not to vacinate my DD after doing research an dsince I homeschool her and she is not interested in boys or going out socally it isnt a worry right now.I have issues with using children as lab rats when the study was not fully disclosing. If you really look hard you can find a lot of info about Guardisil. If my DD chooses to have it later it is her choice.

Quack website.

And (as LilMissMetaphor already pointed out), you have demonstrated to us how much true information you "looked really hard" for by searching "Guardisil". NOT.

Exactly. I can understand not giving your child the vaccine for all the regular non-vaccinating reasons (talking about the valid "there's a history of bad reactions" kind of reasoning, not the bullshit "it'll make them autistic" type reasons) but I haven't seen that from most people against it. There'd have to be a hell of a good reason for me not to help my child prevent cancer.

According to the CDC, there have been 20,096 reactions and 71 deaths. I'm sure the number of reactions is higher, as not everyone reports. That number is too high for me.

The reason I would not have my daughter get it is because of my own bad reaction. Often those types of things are genetic.

I'm annoyed that I"m 'to old' to have it covered.

FWIW, I was a virgin when I married the Mr. THe Mr. wasn't extensively active and was tested for everything under the sun before we were married.

I fell/fall into the 'good girl' categories.

I have HPV. I've been 'OK' so far, but it freaks me out and I get to have fun things like LEEPs after abnormal paps (which hurt way more than a shot or 3 would)

I don't want my daughter to have to go through that and I don't want any future son of mine to put someone through that.

I'd rather them be turned into a whore :-P

Allow me to be the first to question whether those exact words were really representative of the exchange between the women.

If it were anyone other than a troll posting, I would believe that their sister and niece saw a fundy women in a doctor's office, and POSSIBLY she said something about guardisil, but not that exact wording.

Because it is a troll posting though, I don't even believe that there is any truth behind the story.

Sigh.

I second the notion that the conversation didn't quite go as stated. People love to exaggerate. Not only that, but the OP was able to recall verbatim what was told to her. Sorry, the story just doesn't seem that believable, as written.

I choose not to get it. Just like a ton of ppl I am afraid of long term effects of anything, so I chose to not get it. I don't have a family history of cancer, so I feel with the limited knowledge that I have of the long term effects I won't be getting it.

Do you get Tetanus shots? Those are more risky. And family history has absolute effing zero to do with cervical cancer. It's a cancer that is caused by a virus in 99% of cases. To say that you have limited knowledge is the biggest understatement I've ever seen. You clearly know nothing about it.

According to the CDC, there have been 20,096 reactions and 71 deaths. I'm sure the number of reactions is higher, as not everyone reports. That number is too high for me.

Actually, that number tends to be an overestimate. They legally have to include all reports of negative things happening following the vaccine. There doesn't have to be a link to the vaccine being the cause, and many of them are unrelated. Further, a reaction can even be something as minor as a sore muscle for a few days. But this sounds like typical anti-vax nonsense. Do you get any other vaccines? They also have reported reactions and injuries. Again, do you ever get a Tetanus booster? Do you ever get a flu shot? If not, why the discrepancy?

"Of the total number of VAERS reports following Gardasil®, 92% were considered to be non-serious, and 8% were considered serious."

"The vast majority (92%) of the adverse events reports following Gardasil® vaccination were mild and included, pain and swelling at the injection site (the arm), fever, dizziness, nausea, and fainting."

"In the 34 reports confirmed, there was no unusual pattern or clustering to the deaths that would suggest that they were caused by the vaccine and some reports indicated a cause of death unrelated to vaccination."

Of the 8% serious reactions:

-Gullian-Barre, which is not linked to occuring with any increase with Gardasil

-Bloot clots. (I was worried about this one but it isn't significant enough, especially since I don't have any risk factors such as obesity, smoking, or HBC.)

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccin ... rdasil.htm

So, if that's your threshold that's fine, but I don't understand it at all. Please don't look at the rates for tetanus!

ETA: haha, crossposted with banannacat. tetanus high fives!

"Of the total number of VAERS reports following Gardasil®, 92% were considered to be non-serious, and 8% were considered serious."

"The vast majority (92%) of the adverse events reports following Gardasil® vaccination were mild and included, pain and swelling at the injection site (the arm), fever, dizziness, nausea, and fainting."

"In the 34 reports confirmed, there was no unusual pattern or clustering to the deaths that would suggest that they were caused by the vaccine and some reports indicated a cause of death unrelated to vaccination."

Of the 8% serious reactions:

-Gullian-Barre, which is not linked to occuring with any increase with Gardasil

-Bloot clots. (I was worried about this one but it isn't significant enough, especially since I don't have any risk factors such as obesity, smoking, or HBC.)

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccin ... rdasil.htm

So, if that's your threshold that's fine, but I don't understand it at all. Please don't look at the rates for tetanus!

ETA: haha, crossposted with banannacat. tetanus high fives!

I was just coming to post this, but I see you and bananacat have already done so better than I could have, so I will just second it.

Also, add me to those who think geniebelle's story is bullshit.

The "problem" with these studies is that participants are asked to document any "new" symptoms that occur while participating in the study. For example, someone might have caught a stomach bug which was completely unrelated to the medication (vaccine), but because it happened while in the study, she would have to share that information. That's why you often see odd side effects listed for medications, such as measles, flu, fever, etc. It might have absolutely nothing to do with the vaccine.

I'm not saying that vaccines can't put your body in a position of being more susceptible to infections or conditions, because there are statistically relevant findings with different side effects. It's just not always as black and white as people think,

Actually, that number tends to be an overestimate. They legally have to include all reports of negative things happening following the vaccine. There doesn't have to be a link to the vaccine being the cause, and many of them are unrelated. Further, a reaction can even be something as minor as a sore muscle for a few days. But this sounds like typical anti-vax nonsense. Do you get any other vaccines? They also have reported reactions and injuries. Again, do you ever get a Tetanus booster? Do you ever get a flu shot? If not, why the discrepancy?

I haven't gotten a tetanus shot in about 25 years, which was when I was required by a job to do so. I don't get flu shots either. My son went unconscious about 15 minutes after the DPT shot. His former doctor not only wouldn't report it, but he insisted it was not from the DPT shot. When I told my next pediatrician what happened, he said it was from the shot. I don't believe that number is an overestimate. I think it is an underestimate.

The "problem" with these studies is that participants are asked to document any "new" symptoms that occur while participating in the study. For example, someone might have caught a stomach bug which was completely unrelated to the medication (vaccine), but because it happened while in the study, she would have to share that information. That's why you often see odd side effects listed for medications, such as measles, flu, fever, etc. It might have absolutely nothing to do with the vaccine.

I'm not saying that vaccines can't put your body in a position of being more susceptible to infections or conditions, because there are statistically relevant findings with different side effects. It's just not always as black and white as people think,

My children have always gotten high fevers from their shots and so did I. They weren't all coincidences or unrelated to the vaccines. I didn't report any of this and I don't think that many parents do. Parents know that kids can get fevers from their shots. I'm sure that the number of reactions is much higher than what the CDC lists.

The reason I would not have my daughter get it is because of my own bad reaction. Often those types of things are genetic.

This is one of the very few reasons that makes valid, scientific sense to me!

My daughter got the series @ 14. No harm no foul.

My son also got the series at age 13, no problems. I'd hate for him to infect a future partner, so I had him get it.

I hope you went to sites other than vactruth to do your research.

Adverse reactions include things like swelling and soreness at the immunisation site, fevers, headaches, malaise etc. As well as serious life threatening reactions. The vast majority of those reactions will be minor reactions, plus these reactions are self reported too so people will often report a headache for example, which might have nothing to do with the vaccine, but the CDC are legally bound to include it as an adverse reaction.

Archived