IGNORED

October Baby

Arielkay

it's playing in like 3 theaters within 30 minutes of me :) one of them is like the largest newest theater in my area :)

it is NOT however playing at the "artsy fartsy" theater like we like to call the one that only shows "exclusive" movies :)

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's playing in like 3 theaters within 30 minutes of me :) one of them is like the largest newest theater in my area :)

Popcorn, an Icee, and an anti-abortion message! Whoopie!

we'll see what it actually turns out to be - if it is more celebrating her life or more focused on the blood and gore of abortion. I mean both are true, but I could see popcorning it up to a celebration of life. :)

we'll see what it actually turns out to be - if it is more celebrating her life or more focused on the blood and gore of abortion. I mean both are true, but I could see popcorning it up to a celebration of life. :)

:roll:

There's also a lot of blood and gore to appendectomies. Or childbirth.

:roll:

There's also a lot of blood and gore to appendectomies. Or childbirth.

Didi says above she's very pro-life. Her mother could have aborted her and chose not to so that's why she's pro-life and because her step-father's ex girlfriend aborted without his knowledge and he was upset about it.

My parents were married and waited a few years before deciding to have a child and had me. I was a wanted child so were both of my siblings. They wanted a child and tried for one. My mother had fairly easy pregnancies and never had a miscarriage and her labours were not bad and she never needed a c-section. She never had any trouble conceiving. I don't base my pro-choice position on the fact that I was a wanted and intended child. Being pro-choice to me isn't about how I grew up. It's about my right and every woman's right to handle what gets put in her body and if she wants something removed that could harm her and being pregnant can, she should be allowed to remove that.

If I got pregnant tonight and found out I was expecting in a couple weeks, I would consider aborting because I am taking two different prescriptions that are known to cause serious and even fatal birth defeats of the brain and heart. It's not that I don't want a child ever. It's about the child being condemned to horrible defects that aren't their fault, but mine. That's not fair to the potential child. If I wasn't taking them, I would probably keep it because I'm almost done with college and I think I could deal with a child, though it would be hard if I did it alone. But either way, whether I decided to go through the rigors of carrying, birthing and raising a child or deciding it's best to not let the zygote become a living, functioning human being that will likely never function right because of the meds I took when I conceived them, it's still my choice and it should be because it's my body that will take the toll regardless of what I choose. It's the child I could have that would be affected as well and that matters to me. My health and the potential child's health matters.

I don't see this film as anything more than a scare tactic. Look at the sponsors I listed and what the proceeds go to: propaganda. If you want to see the film, that's fine, but that doesn't change what it's trying to do.

I think this section of the AV Club review sum's up the movie's focus pretty well:

October Baby is inspired by the story of pro-life activist Gianna Jessen, an actual abortion survivor, and it’s competently made, shot like an American Eagle commercial and featuring recognizable actors like John Schneider and Jasmine Guy as a former clinic nurse. This only makes its offensiveness more startling—it’s a film with the pretense of being about forgiveness that’s really about blame, when neither is justified. Strangers along the way lend their help to Hendrix, no one ever doubting her right to confront the woman who was wicked enough to want to go to school and have a career before starting a family. Most egregious of all is the film’s suggestion that late-term, edge-of-viability procedures are the norm and that abortion clinics are a horror show of maimed, discarded infants. (“There were things that happened there, terrible things, things they had me do,†Guy murmurs when telling her story.) This isn’t a movie; this is propaganda for the already converted.

One Million Moms has been pushing this on their FB page, urging women to see it in groups. Now I realize it's opening the same weekend as the Hunger Games. Yeah, good luck with that . . .

Now I realize it's opening the same weekend as the Hunger Games. Yeah, good luck with that . . .

:lol: Maybe they were hoping its target audience would be uninterested in worldly going-ons in the movie world.

I am really looking forward to it, but I am very pro-life. :-p I also want to see if it's better made than movies like "Left Behind" :-p I liked facing the giants, but found Fireproof blah :)

Sidenote: My mom got pregnant at 18 and her parents told her to get an abortion or leave - she left during a blizzard (NoVA blizzard :)) my bio dad told her she could either get an abortion or keep the baby 'cause he had been adopted/foster care and badly sexually abused as a kid. so, she kept me. to me the coolest part of "my story" is that "Papa", the man who married my mom, adopted, and raised me, had been engaged and his fiance got pregnant and didn't tell him until after she had an abortion. he broke off the engagement because he felt betrayed that she went through with it without even talking to him, so he had this desire to marry a woman with a kid and he got me! :D

NOTE: I didn't share that to be like "and here is why everyone should be pro-life" it's just a big reason why I am. :)

Sooo...what happened in your life made you anti-abortion. Is this belief something you promote out in the world? Do you think women should be denied the right to abortion?

One Million Moms has been pushing this on their FB page, urging women to see it in groups. Now I realize it's opening the same weekend as the Hunger Games. Yeah, good luck with that . . .

I know someone who's going to see this movie over the hunger games for her "date" night.

Guest Anonymous

It's showing in my city's theaters too. I have a few friends on facebook posting about how they are going to go see it with their husbands tonight. What a fun date night! :roll:

Anti-choice fiction. My favourite...

Back in the day, some saline abortions (which they don't do anymore) didn't take and the babies were born alive. Usually they were pretty burned from the saline solution though.

I'm not sure it's true that saline abortions burned the fetus. I've only ever read it in anti-choice literature (the same literature that claims saline abortions are still used). Not that it isn't a wonderful thing that they stopped doing them, but it's probably best not to perpetuate exaggerations.

A local huge Southern Baptist Church is promoting it on its outdoor marquee; I think they were buying up blocks of tickets for their members and youth and getting everyone to bring a friend.

One woman claims she hates the sound of flames due to her botched saline abortion. IDK but how would someone remember the sound of her attempted abortion?

I am really looking forward to it, but I am very pro-life. :-p I also want to see if it's better made than movies like "Left Behind" :-p I liked facing the giants, but found Fireproof blah :)

Sidenote: My mom got pregnant at 18 and her parents told her to get an abortion or leave - she left during a blizzard (NoVA blizzard :)) my bio dad told her she could either get an abortion or keep the baby 'cause he had been adopted/foster care and badly sexually abused as a kid. so, she kept me. to me the coolest part of "my story" is that "Papa", the man who married my mom, adopted, and raised me, had been engaged and his fiance got pregnant and didn't tell him until after she had an abortion. he broke off the engagement because he felt betrayed that she went through with it without even talking to him, so he had this desire to marry a woman with a kid and he got me! :D

NOTE: I didn't share that to be like "and here is why everyone should be pro-life" it's just a big reason why I am. :)

This is pretty silly reasoning. Your mother had a choice, and she chose to have you. She made what you believe to be the right choice. So how is that justification for removing choice?

Any person born after 1973 (and many before) have mothers that could have chose differently. But they all chose to have us. This existential crisis is not really relevant.

Incidentally, I am offended by the label "pro-life" because it implies that others care about life less than you do. Do you think I'm anti-life? Do you think you care about life more than I do? It would really be more accurate to label yourself anti-abortion so you don't rely so much on a flimsy and inaccurate appeal to emotions.

Also, most pro-choice people actually do care about choice no matter how others try to spin it. So we're against the coercive attempts by your grandparents. We don't actually want to force abortion onto women; we only want women to be allowed to make the choice for themselves. What you need is more choice, not less.

So do you want all abortions to be illegal? Do you think mothers should die instead of have an abortion(like my situation)? Do you think a 12 year old raped by her father should be forced to carry the baby?

Incidentally, I am offended by the label "pro-life" because it implies that others care about life less than you do. Do you think I'm anti-life? Do you think you care about life more than I do? It would really be more accurate to label yourself anti-abortion so you don't rely so much on a flimsy and inaccurate appeal to emotions.

Also, most pro-choice people actually do care about choice no matter how others try to spin it. So we're against the coercive attempts by your grandparents. We don't actually want to force abortion onto women; we only want women to be allowed to make the choice for themselves. What you need is more choice, not less.

I'm offended by the label "pro-life" because it seems pretty freaking obvious to me that the pro-lifers care only about the baby until the last body part exits the vagina. Once that happens, baby, mamma and everyone else are on their own. If pro-lifers truly cared about women, infants and children, they wouldn't make it so incredibly difficult to raise children in this country.

But, to be blunt, it's really not about the babies saved. It's about controlling women in any way possible.

Herewith follows a rant. Read at your own risk.

6861031438_a7ea76303b.jpg

I crocheted this in two hours last night. I may send it to a legislator or congresscritter to let him/her know that if I can figure out how to spin and dye the wool that became this yarn, and then crochet it into a uterus, I can by golly figure out what to do with my own ladybits. I do not need legislators making that decision for me, nor pro-lifers trying to pressure me into their choices.

And let me just say here, if pro-life were all that it was cracked up to be, they wouldn't have to pass all this legislation to get women to not have abortions. I'd say, look at the structural reasons why women have abortions, and the remedy those. Oh, wait--I forgot, I, as a woman, cannot possibly control my own reproductive capabilities.

I hate the pro-life label to. I refer to the majority of pro-lifers as pro-fetal-lifers/pro-fetal-life. Since they seem to only care about the unborn but once its born you're on your own! Furthermore when I hear the word prolife I think of ALL life animals included and I'm sure all pro-lifers aren't vegetarians too.

My local paper did a review in today's issue. It was not favorable and it (the paper/reviewer) was not a fan of the agenda that it 'refused to waiver' from despite its own contradictions. The review didn't clarify what the contradictions are, but I can probably guess. There is simply no way to put a gray issue into black and white corners and the harder you try the less successful you are.

Not unexpected. It is it's own kind of propaganda.

My mom did not want me. I was born in 1967 and she didn't have a choice in the matter. I grew up knowing that I wasn't a wanted child and that my birth further messed up my mother's already messed up life. In some ways, she did her best, but it was impossible to hide the fact that she didn't want me. And the fact that starting at age 12 I never lived with her for more than 6 months at a time was evidence of that, not that anymore was really needed. I don't hate her, but we have issues and have a limited relationship. She played with fire and got burned, and I am the scar.

No human being should ever have to live with that knowledge. While I'm not going to kill myself thinking I shouldn't be here, I do think many, many lives would have been better if my mom had a choice and wasn't forced to have and raise a kid she didn't want. There is no way to change the past and since I am alive I don't necessarily want to - but I am strongly on the side of choice for every woman in the future. For her sake and for the sake of preventing others from going up knowing they are unwanted.

Wow... there have been a lot of replies!

My mother chose not to kill her baby. That is true. I would be anti-murder even if I hadn't had that as part of my history. I am sorry if that is too blunt - I have been trying really hard to not be offensive on here, but y'all are saying you are against the term pro-life, but your "choice" is either to let a baby live or kill a baby. So... how is pro-life not an apt term? We don't saddle y'all with pro-death or anti-life. I get that you believe a woman should have the choice whether to let the baby grow to term and be born - I don't think that any human being should have the choice to kill another human being (except in self-defense), but I understand more of pro-choice individuals reasoning then I used to. And, I am not against terminating as pregnancy if it's a case where the mother and baby will DIE if you don't or cases like "tubal pregnancies" where, well again the mother and baby would die, but that one for me is even more cut and dry - there has never been a case of a tubal pregnancy leading to a live birth.

I believe if we just outlawed abortion today it would lead to horrible things. Women are still going to seek abortions even if it is illegal and without regulation there will be a lot more deaths of women and such. I do however think there should be more regulation - I am torn over the sonogram thing. (I live in VA, so I have been processing this for a bit now.) Part of me feels like it's an invasion of a woman's "rights" since right now they DO have the right to an abortion, but on the other hand I feel like if someone is making the decision to end their pregnancy it is best for them to fully understand that they ARE killing a baby. It's a hard road.

Oh, that's why I had to submit three times. Timing.

About the pro-life thing - I hate that myself. I am not anti-life. Nor am I Pro-abortion. I am Pro-CHOICE. Safe, legal, accessible CHOICE not controlled by the personal beliefs of some, or anyone. I am all for life. Too often, the 'argument' turns into me being told I am Pro-abortion. Um, no. No one in their right mind is Pro-abortion. It's not something to sell or promote. CHOICE is not anti anything.

Wow... there have been a lot of replies!

My mother chose not to kill her baby. That is true. I would be anti-murder even if I hadn't had that as part of my history. I am sorry if that is too blunt - I have been trying really hard to not be offensive on here, but y'all are saying you are against the term pro-life, but your "choice" is either to let a baby live or kill a baby. So... how is pro-life not an apt term? We don't saddle y'all with pro-death or anti-life. I get that you believe a woman should have the choice whether to let the baby grow to term and be born - I don't think that any human being should have the choice to kill another human being (except in self-defense), but I understand more of pro-choice individuals reasoning then I used to. And, I am not against terminating as pregnancy if it's a case where the mother and baby will DIE if you don't or cases like "tubal pregnancies" where, well again the mother and baby would die, but that one for me is even more cut and dry - there has never been a case of a tubal pregnancy leading to a live birth.

I believe if we just outlawed abortion today it would lead to horrible things. Women are still going to seek abortions even if it is illegal and without regulation there will be a lot more deaths of women and such. I do however think there should be more regulation - I am torn over the sonogram thing. (I live in VA, so I have been processing this for a bit now.) Part of me feels like it's an invasion of a woman's "rights" since right now they DO have the right to an abortion, but on the other hand I feel like if someone is making the decision to end their pregnancy it is best for them to fully understand that they ARE killing a baby. It's a hard road.

So you do think a 12 year old raped by her father should be forced to carry the pregnancy to term?

if it was my daughter i would definitely consider the morning after pill...

if it was to the point where she would actually have to go through with an abortion... it is horrible and sad, but i don't think killing another human being would make the heinous crime done to her better...

So you are okay with inflicting all sorts of trauma on a child who is already traumatized?

Have you read treemom's abortion story?

Archived