IGNORED

This is very scary. Shows how little republicans care

doggie

WASHINGTON -- Unbowed by the dust-up from last week’s contraception debate, the Obama administration has jumped feet-first into the next round.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, in a statement to The Huffington Post, weighed in heavily against a toughly-worded measure being considered in the Senate that would greatly restrict women's access to critical health care services.

"Let's be clear about what's at stake," said Carney. "The proposal being considered in the Senate applies to all employers -- not just religious employers. And it isn't limited to contraception. Any employer could restrict access to any service they say they object to. That is dangerous and it is wrong. Decisions about medical care should be made by a woman and her doctor, not a woman and her boss.â€

The measure, proposed by Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) would amend the Affordable Care Act to allow any employer to exclude any health service coverage, no matter how critical or basic, by claiming that it violates their religious or moral convictions. Moreover, according to the National Women's Law Center, the amendment would remove critical non-discrimination protections from the Affordable Care Act. For instance, an insurer could deny maternity care coverage to a same-sex couple, an interracial couple or a single woman for religious or moral reasons.

Coming just days after last week's debate over the White House decision that religious-affiliated hospitals and schools had to provide contraception coverage in plans for employees, the Blunt amendment resembled a serious ratcheting-up of the culture war debates. But if the GOP calculation was that the Obama administration was in retreat (the president was forced to revise the ruling on Friday under political pressure), Carney's statement suggested the opposite.

Beyond philosophical support for the idea of expanding health care access for women, the White House recognizes that polls are on their side. And in the case of the Blunt amendment, there had already been backlash against Republican overreach before Carney's statement.

"t's unbelievably broad," said Judy Waxman, vice president for health and reproductive rights for the National Women's Law Center. "I hear some people framing this about religious freedom, but I think it's really about undermining health insurance in an extremely dramatic way and letting individual people decide what is moral for everybody they employ or insure."

"Sen. Blunt’s proposal would render the notion of health insurance meaningless, and give businesses and corporations effective veto power over their employee’s health care decisions," said Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

The legislative future for the Blunt amendment was, as of Tuesday afternoon, not entirely clear. The senator had attached his proposal to the massive transportation bill to give it the best chance for passage. It's a "vehicle that this president must sign," Blunt said. "If that doesn’t happen, I hope to get the next president to sign it."

this is really bad can you imagine what the price of this would be?

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid initially blocked Blunt's amendment on Thursday, calling it "senseless." But on Tuesday he agreed to allow a vote.

"This is a terrible vote for them," said a Senate Democratic aide, explaining why Reid relented. "We are thrilled at the prospect about spending as much time as possible talking about this vote. They are caught between their base and a hard place."

While the Senate has a Democratic majority, a handful of moderate Democrats initially opposed the Obama administration's birth control rule and demanded that it be repealed. Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) co-sponsored the Blunt amendment with 19 Republicans, including moderate Scott Brown (R-Mass.). The number of GOP sponsors may grow.

Some Democrats who initially opposed the birth control rule, including Sen. Joe Manchin, of West Virginia, and Sen. Bob Casey, of Pennsylvania, have not commented on Obama's revised decision or indicated how they will vote on Blunt's amendment. Neither senator responded to calls for comment. Other Democrats were outspoken in their concerns about the reach of the amendment's language.

"This would gut the protections that were established in the Affordable Care Act and open a Pandora's box that allows employers to deny coverage for virtually anything they might object to," said Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.). "I think this is really out of touch with where most of Americans are."

I heard about this yesterday - I want to ask anyone who supports this what the hell they are thinking! They do realize that it will bite them in the ass, too, don't they?

Sometimes I don't understand what Republicans think or say that much. They make me muddleheaded.

But then all Politicians and political parties do.

I heard about this yesterday - I want to ask anyone who supports this what the hell they are thinking! They do realize that it will bite them in the ass, too, don't they?

I doubt they do. the duggers for an example are so blind to their wants they can't see what the results would get them. They just want it because they believe in it. I am sure there will be exemptions for certain Christians and republicans.

So basically this is a law that says you can do whatever the fuck you want with your health coverage, and use your "morals" as an excuse?

Pardon me, but isn't that sending us back about 5 billion years?

I'm not surprised a GOP is pushing it. I am disgusted he's attaching it to a bill that has nothing to do with it.

They aren't thinking, period. All they envision is a Catholic hospital not covering birth control for the single women who work there. It'll never affect them. They don't realize if they get into a car accident on a Sunday, their Christian employer can deny coverage because the victim shouldn't have been driving on the Sabbath.

Or even better, an employer denying spousal benefits to every married staffer that isn't the boss's religion (my church/temple/mosque doesn't recognize your marriage as legit, so I won't cover your spouse).

So basically this is a law that says you can do whatever the fuck you want with your health coverage, and use your "morals" as an excuse?

I'm not surprised a GOP is pushing it. I am disgusted he's attaching it to a bill that has nothing to do with it.

This is all a religion thing I think. even a democrat is backing it. This is why there is a separation of church and state.

They aren't thinking, period. All they envision is a Catholic hospital not covering birth control for the single women who work there. It'll never affect them. They don't realize if they get into a car accident on a Sunday, their Christian employer can deny coverage because the victim shouldn't have been driving on the Sabbath.

Or even better, an employer denying spousal benefits to every married staffer that isn't the boss's religion (my church/temple/mosque doesn't recognize your marriage as legit, so I won't cover your spouse).

Exactly. That was my thoughts when I first heard the contraception thing and that religious people should be allowed to deny anyone bc because it goes against their beliefs. When does it end? Insurances already play shit games with coverage. We don't need more.

Edited because I meant play, not okay. Autocorrect.

The Republicans are doing a lot of things that should loose them votes in the general election. Although I dont' think that we should be complacent, I really believe that they are handing Obama a second term.

So a Christian Scientist employer can say, "I don't believe in modern medicine at all, so my employees can go screw themselves"? Because that's what this sounds like.

This is really rich, because weren't the members of the GOP the ones screaming that "Health care decisions should be between the patient and their doctor!" as one of their reasons for rejecting the Affordable Health Care Act in the first place, and now they're trying to amend it so that, just as the press secretary said, these decisions will be made between the patient and their boss. :angry-banghead:

So a Christian Scientist employer can say, "I don't believe in modern medicine at all, so my employees can go screw themselves"? Because that's what this sounds like.

Or a Jehovah's Witness employer could say "Blood transfusions are forbidden by the Bible, so no life saving transfusions or surgery that might require a transfusion (pretty much every one) for you! How dare heathens want to live!"

Here's another scenario that worries me - if a female child is raped, are they going to refuse to pay for an ER visit/hospitalization? What if she catches an STD or is infected with AIDS? And we all know that she would HAVE to carry the child to term, because abortion under any circumstances is verboten. (Not that they would want to pay for the birth either, because she MUST have done something to cause the rape!) :evil:

The thing that scares me most is that every time I say, "That's too far. The GOP is totally going to pay for that in the election," then people don't seem to care at all.

One word: Santorum

The thing that scares me most is that every time I say, "That's too far. The GOP is totally going to pay for that in the election," then people don't seem to care at all.

One word: Santorum

I am wondering if he will be that stupid to jump on the bandwagon how about the duggers?

Is there any actual chance that the republicans might actually win the election? I know that if Santorum won the nomination, you might as well do away with the election because Obama is going to win another term. But what about the other candidates? Even though I am in the UK, the republicans sound so damn crazy that it worries me that they might get in.

Is there any actual chance that the republicans might actually win the election? I know that if Santorum won the nomination, you might as well do away with the election because Obama is going to win another term. But what about the other candidates? Even though I am in the UK, the republicans sound so damn crazy that it worries me that they might get in.

I'm far from an expert on this....but I think it could only conceivably happen if Romney is nominated, simply because he has so much money.* Even then, I think it's quite likely Obama will win another term. Most sitting presidents do.

*...and is not as crazy/offensive as Newt or as socially conservative as Santorum.

I worry that the US is going to be like Iran in ten years. Maybe fifteen. And you're right next door to us, so I'm afraid the crazy will spread. :(

Sadly, a lot of WTF? things get passed by attaching them onto unrelated bills. I don't even want to think about the ramifications if something like this piece of shit was ever to pass.

I'd love to see what would happen if these assholes had their rights, liberties and freedoms stripped like they try to do to everyone who isn't exactly like them. I'm tired of Religious nut jobs, flaccid old men, and self-hating women having so much power in this country.

We have the potential to be our own government but there's so much complacency. Nothing will ever change until we all wake up.

You're not from America, right? I envy you.

It's outrageous how it's expected than anyone can refuse anything in healthy care because they object for some reason. Don't like gay couples? You can deny health care. Don't like ending a pregnancy even if the woman will die? Then no end to an ectopic pregnancy. Don't like blood transfusions because you're a Jehovah's Witness? Then people can die.

I think if you aren't willing to provide healthcare on an impartial basis within current laws, then you shouldn't go into it.

Also the provision saying health insurance companies should be allowed to deny on moral grounds is especially dangerous. It's already hard enough to get them to cover covered procedures without having to fight with someone who has the law on his side when he doesn't like a choice you made.

This is the kind of thing I keep saying to myself, and then I end up surprised and appalled by how conservative this country is getting. It seems like nobody on the right is too radical to get credibility anymore. I fear for liberals.

I am wondering if he will be that stupid to jump on the bandwagon how about the duggers?

I am hoping his approach of appealing to the far right for the primaries will bite him in the butt if he gets to do the general campaign, but I'm almost too afraid to put anything past Americans anymore (and I think Obama sucks at exploiting obvious weak points).

I don't think anyone could win, if they came out and said they wanted to limit the availability of birth control (separate from the insurance issue) and embrace the agenda of people like the Duggars, but he wouldn't come out and say that. Even the Duggars and people like them conceal their true agenda.

Is the general American public capable of seeing what is right in front of its face anymore? I dunno.

Archived