IGNORED

I'm moving up to an iPod

Witsec7

primarily to use for music in my hovel. I've been an audiophile most of my life and have decided to take the dip. I just don't have room for my CD collection anymore and arthritis in my hands makes loading CDs into a player problematic.

At this point I'll probably buy and iPod classic since it has a humongous amount of storage on it. But I need some help in choosing a dock that charges and has speakers. A pal brought over his Bose Sounddock ii and it produced a reasonable quality for sound in a 16x20room with a 10ft ceiling. Prices on that unit are holding at about $225 give or take a couple of dollars. Does anyone have any suggestions for something cheaper with the same quality sound and output?

The husband and I have found that multiple iPods are the way to go. We have the classic with the huge memory and have put all 3000+ of his CD's on this library (and it grows with music from our own library). We then use that only as a data keeping device, and each have nanos that we use for our personal music listening.

I have a Phillips dock/clock that I like a lot.

My Dad has the Bose dock, and he loves that (and he has the budget to buy things like that).

myself I would not buy a classic unless you can't afford anything else. Yes a touch does not have as much storage but with playlists it's not usually an issue. But you will have a mini computer that is so useful for so many things it's not funny.

My wife has 8 gigs of music on her iphone when she syncs it the playlist removes the played songs and adds new ones. so the songs are always fresh. she listens to podcasts on it and audiobooks.

myself I would not buy a classic unless you can't afford anything else. Yes a touch does not have as much storage but with playlists it's not usually an issue. But you will have a mini computer that is so useful for so many things it's not funny.

My wife has 8 gigs of music on her iphone when she syncs it the playlist removes the played songs and adds new ones. so the songs are always fresh. she listens to podcasts on it and audiobooks.

SexyX has a touch,and I've spent some time playing around with it (the touch). I really wouldn't use all the features. I can't really see the screen to watch videos, I don't play games etc. I use a MacBook Air for all my movie and tv (don't have cable). And my Kindle can read to me (so can my MBA). I'm really looking for music storage and sound in my living room. My space is really limited, as it stands I'll pick up a flat screen tv in the next week or so and wall mount it. A good dock with sound can take up minimal space on a bookshelf . Offloading the CDs will give me room for some esthetic items I need for my own comfort and gratification. I want to make the best move I can afford for sound. Being a former audiophile this is a great leap forward for me.

sounds good. You want to rip them with apple lossless to get the best sound. Not sure how big of a drive is on the air but you most likely will need an external hard drive too. My wife has 1300 cds and downloaded cd's and it is 200 gigs. not sure if your air has a dvd drive but an external with a faster drive will be 2 to three times faster ripping the cd's. a average cd ripped with lossless is about 500 megs.

sounds good. You want to rip them with apple lossless to get the best sound. Not sure how big of a drive is on the air but you most likly will need an external hard drive too. My wife has 1300 cds and downloaded cd's and it is 200 gigs. not sure if your air has a dvd drive but an external with a faster drive will be 2 to three times faster ripping the cd's.

I just bought an external 3TB hard drive, and SexyX dumped his collection onto it. Another old lover is stopping by and I'll dump his collection on the HD. Between the two of them they have my whole collection plus stuff that isn't available electronically and has already been ripped and remastered. Basically I wind up using the HD for my vinyl collection and movies. We'll load the vinyl on Friday and I'll start reviewing the collections then. In the meantime I need to make a decision about a dock and iPod. Fact is I don't really mind buying two iPod classics if thats what it takes. But the sound is my next concern.

one thing to have if you have less then 20,000 tracks is to get itunes match. We use it more as backup then anything else as it is cheaper then any online backup service. Plus if some of the things are matched and low quality you can delete them and download the better 256k version. I had to re rip all of my wife's cds to get better quality from what I did the first time.

one thing to have if you have less then 20,000 tracks is to get itunes match. We use it more as backup then anything else as it is cheaper then any online backup service. Plus if some of the things are matched and low quality you can delete them and download the better 256k version. I had to re rip all of my wife's cds to get better quality from what I did the first time.

I'll be good with the quality that I get from both my sources they each have recording studios and are major compulsive audiophiles.

I'll be good with the quality that I get from both my sources they each have recording studios and are major compulsive audiophiles.

There you go. we had some low quality stuff from some places I can't remember. But manly I got itunes match as backup as it cost less then any other out of house method. The match only works if you have the right info for each song. Like the records I ripped long ago never matched.

There you go. we had some low quality stuff from some places I can't remember. But manly I got itunes match as backup as it cost less then any other out of house method. The match only works if you have the right info for each song. Like the records I ripped long ago never matched.

I gave SexyX a bunch of cassettes that we made in the late 70's directly off the radio, and some stuff we recorded of Johnnie and Shuggie Otis at Johnnies church,live Bob Dylan and Kinky Friedman at a Chabad telethon, lots of live club stuff. He cleaned them up and tweeked them all and now they sound pretty great. When the guys ripped stuff they ripped it fresh out of the box, so the Sinatra Reprise collection is clean, along with the Coltrane collection, Pink Floyd etc. The quality isn't really an issue. Its just playing it to my satisfaction.

I've got an iTouch 16G and I love it. I've got tons of music on it, I keep 1 movie on it and rotate it out, and I also have HBO Go, which if I can connect to WIFI, lets me watch more movies and series. Great for travel.

I have a Classic (160GB) and I adore it.

I'd really like a dock, but I haven't yet been able to afford a really good one. I have fairly decent Bose computer speakers (~$90) that I use with the iPod and I just charge the thing separately. Kind of a pain but most of the charging gets done while it's syncing anyway.

Archived