IGNORED

The Duggars and Pop Culture

duchess0592

Well, this Canadian has no clue what you mean, and I am by no means living a sheltered fundie existence. Actually I might even be confused and worried.

I'm American and have no idea what you mean by "Gibbs slap." So maybe I'm living in a bubble. LOL

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think only people who watch NCIS would know what you mean...

I didn't know either...TBH I thought it was a reference to the Bee Gees lol!

I'm American and have no idea what you mean by "Gibbs slap." So maybe I'm living in a bubble. LOL

I thought it had something to do with baseball because she included the Babe Ruth reference :?

That said, I know next to nothing about baseball either.

It is from NCIS, Gibbs smacks people on the back of the head, maybe it's the part of the county I live but most people around here know what it means, I'm surprised Canada does not know about NCIS, you guys get new episodes before we do, you get heartland too.

Imagine a fundie watching Gilmore Girls. They would be so lost.

Like they would watch a show about an ungodly woman like Lorelai :p OHNOES PREMARITAL PREGNANCY WITH NO SHOTGUN WEDDING

I didn't know either...TBH I thought it was a reference to the Bee Gees lol!

So did I! :lol: And I've never seen so much as a second of NCIS. I've never been anything close to fundie for even a fraction of a second.

Do I remember Jim's daughter was wearing shorts when she visited but participating in the group prayer? Or am I conflating episodes.

I think that was Jim's daughter. I think Jim and his family are fundie lite. Fundie lite families tend to be ok with wearing shorts, tank tops, and other things that don't cover up a lot of skin.

Like they would watch a show about an ungodly woman like Lorelai :p OHNOES PREMARITAL PREGNANCY WITH NO SHOTGUN WEDDING

The thought of the Duggars or other fundies watching the Gilmore Girls is hilarious. They would hate working single mom Lorelai whose daughter never took her father's last name and never married Christopher. They would also hate Rory sleeping with a married man. The Duggars would understand half of the dialogue because of the pop culture references.

Guest Anonymous

Maybe it's me, but something just seemed off when the Duggars and Bateses where asked questions about pop culture. When they answered they had this shit-eating grin on their face, especially when Kelly made that comment about the kids seeing "Beatles" in the yard. I read it as "yeah dumbass we know but we're not going to admit it".

I don't think it's possible for the Duggar kids NOT to know about 9/11. I mean, that was BIG news. Even if the Duggars didn't watch tv, and back then they might not have had internet (at last I didn't see any internet in the early specials, and I don't remember it being common at that time to even own a computer), they still would've heard about 9/11. At the very LEAST someone who had ventured to the outside world would've heard about it somehow and called them.

I also can't imagine them not hearing about Columbine. Not as big of a news story as 9/11, but it was still a big to do. It might even be used as a "this is why college is dangerous" lecture. And as someone said, they do venture out to the grocery store. It wouldn't have been possible to to miss the newspaper headlines for 9/11. At the very least one of the kids would've wanted to know why the flags were all at half staff for the next 3 weeks. Likewise for Columbine: would've been hard to miss.

I don't have clear memories of Columbine, as I was quite young at the time, and I'm just a little bit younger than Josh, so now I think on it, MAYBE it's possible they didn't hear about Columbine until they were a LOT older.

Not sure what the BTK killer is, unless I'm just not recognizing the initials. I don't live a sheltered existence (currently at a very public party school uni) but I still somehow manage to be completely oblivious to a good bunch of pop culture references.

For me that's kind of self inflicted though. My parents sheltered me, but not to such a great extent that I COULDN'T have been aware of pop culture as a kid --I just mostly did not care. It's kind of like that now too...I don't TRY to shield myself, I really don't. It just sorta happens.

I don't think it's possible for the Duggar kids NOT to know about 9/11. I mean, that was BIG news. Even if the Duggars didn't watch tv, and back then they might not have had internet (at last I didn't see any internet in the early specials, and I don't remember it being common at that time to even own a computer), they still would've heard about 9/11. At the very LEAST someone who had ventured to the outside world would've heard about it somehow and called them.

I also can't imagine them not hearing about Columbine. Not as big of a news story as 9/11, but it was still a big to do. It might even be used as a "this is why college is dangerous" lecture. And as someone said, they do venture out to the grocery store. It wouldn't have been possible to to miss the newspaper headlines for 9/11. At the very least one of the kids would've wanted to know why the flags were all at half staff for the next 3 weeks. Likewise for Columbine: would've been hard to miss.

I don't have clear memories of Columbine, as I was quite young at the time, and I'm just a little bit younger than Josh, so now I think on it, MAYBE it's possible they didn't hear about Columbine until they were a LOT older.

Not sure what the BTK killer is, unless I'm just not recognizing the initials. I don't live a sheltered existence (currently at a very public party school uni) but I still somehow manage to be completely oblivious to a good bunch of pop culture references.

For me that's kind of self inflicted though. My parents sheltered me, but not to such a great extent that I COULDN'T have been aware of pop culture as a kid --I just mostly did not care. It's kind of like that now too...I don't TRY to shield myself, I really don't. It just sorta happens.

They'd probably use Columbine (or any school shooting) as why public schools are evil, and any of the college shootings (with VT as the recent example) on why higher education is evil.

Then, they'd take that one guy who tried to shoot the church up (a few years ago) as an example how others want to attack "Godly Christians". Really, they can spin it anyway they want and sheep will just eat it up.

I think Ruth posted a Q&A a while back about what they were taught about 9/11, and it was essentially the US was under attack by Muslims for being Christian.

I wonder what they teach about things like Oklahoma City, and that one dude who flew a small airplane into an IRS building.

It is from NCIS, Gibbs smacks people on the back of the head, maybe it's the part of the county I live but most people around here know what it means, I'm surprised Canada does not know about NCIS, you guys get new episodes before we do, you get heartland too.

I'm a bad Canadian, I don't generally like Canadian T.V. :shhh:

Oh, except for 1 Girl 5 Gays ::ZOMG:: ::SQUEEE:: :banana-linedance:

BTK stands for "Bind, Torture, Kill". He came up with it himself in letters he wrote to the press, because it's what he liked to do to his victims. His real name is Dennis Roeder and he lived/killed in Kansas City mostly during the 1980s. He disappeared for most of the 90s and when he came back computers and the internet were all the rage. He sent a letter to the press "anonymously" again and the authorities traced it to the hard drive of the computer in his church office. He was President of his congregation at the time he was caught, which was in the early 2000s.

I only know about him because I saw a special on E! about serial killers when I was in college a few years ago so don't feel too sheltered :) I found his story one of the more interesting and looked up more about him.

BTK stands for "Bind, Torture, Kill". He came up with it himself in letters he wrote to the press, because it's what he liked to do to his victims. His real name is Dennis Roeder and he lived/killed in Kansas City mostly during the 1980s. He disappeared for most of the 90s and when he came back computers and the internet were all the rage. He sent a letter to the press "anonymously" again and the authorities traced it to the hard drive of the computer in his church office. He was President of his congregation at the time he was caught, which was in the early 2000s.

I only know about him because I saw a special on E! about serial killers when I was in college a few years ago so don't feel too sheltered :) I found his story one of the more interesting and looked up more about him.

Yeah I only know it because I like crime cases like that they horrify and intrist me at the same time, I took forensic sci in high school and don't get me started on Casey Anthony

One more thing of note.. .BTK was actually very active in his church as well. He considers himself religious, which is scary.

Someone upthread mentioned magazines at the grocery store. I just can't imagine that Jessa and Jinger have never opened one of the magazines when on a run to Aldi. I can see those two covering for each other and not mentioning it to their parents. I can see Jill being hardcore and averting her eyes but not Jinger and Jessa. There has to be some curiosity when standing in line and People's Sexiest Man Alive issue is staring back at you. It's so normal for young women to want to look at hot guys. Plus, this family travels so much, how do they never look at magazines in the hotel rooms or the televisions there. I think there has to be some times when they are able to go to the dark side without anyone knowing.

I think it's important to make a distinction between pop (popular) culture and historical events. Columbine, 9/11, and the like are undoubtedly historical events. They are not popular culture, like some television series or singer. I'm sure the fundie kids get a pretty filtered version of historical events, like every other piece of information that comes their way.

It's short sighted of the Duggars to not allow any gay crew members on their show. At least one, maybe more, of their kids is bound to grow up and decide they prefer the same gender. If the Duggars had let someone gay on the crew, they'd be able to blame that person's influence for their child's homosexuality (which I assume they would consider disgraceful and would be happy to blame on an outside influence).

Of course, that's the long term result. In the short term, the Duggar children would clearly see that gay people are as normal as the rest of us. If they start to question what they've been told about teh gays, what else might they start to question?

One more thing of note.. .BTK was actually very active in his church as well. He considers himself religious, which is scary.

I found that pretty scary about Dennis Rader. I first became interested in the BTK killings when he was first arrested. The children and siblings of his first four victims the Oteros live in my state. There are Otero sibling survivors and they were interview by the local press here in my state quite a bit. After that I read up on Dennis and it was pretty scary how he pretty much lived a double life. People at the ECLA church he attended thought of him as a very kind man. As other posters have mentioned he was the congregation president, he was also an usher and he sang in the choir. Before he became president of his congregation, he was well trusted and had a set of keys to the church. The sicko actually took the body of one of his victims there and took pictures of the body on the altar and in the basement of the church.

Also, I love that they're allowed to listen to classical music. Tons of classical composers were super gay, or otherwise really badly behaved! Just because something is old doesn't mean it isn't as depraved as contemporary stuff!

Look how sexy Brahms was! Think about that when you listen to the lullaby.

http://mydaguerreotypeboyfriend.tumblr. ... -liszt-had

Also, I love that they're allowed to listen to classical music. Tons of classical composers were super gay, or otherwise really badly behaved! Just because something is old doesn't mean it isn't as depraved as contemporary stuff!

Look how sexy Brahms was! Think about that when you listen to the lullaby.

http://mydaguerreotypeboyfriend.tumblr. ... -liszt-had

I had no idea Brahms was such a hottie. ;)

I wonder if the Duggar kids or even JB and J'Chelle know that George Washington Carver was gay since they went to the museum about him.

Someone upthread mentioned magazines at the grocery store. I just can't imagine that Jessa and Jinger have never opened one of the magazines when on a run to Aldi. I can see those two covering for each other and not mentioning it to their parents. I can see Jill being hardcore and averting her eyes but not Jinger and Jessa. There has to be some curiosity when standing in line and People's Sexiest Man Alive issue is staring back at you. It's so normal for young women to want to look at hot guys. Plus, this family travels so much, how do they never look at magazines in the hotel rooms or the televisions there. I think there has to be some times when they are able to go to the dark side without anyone knowing.

I have a feeling that they probably do look through magazines at grocery stores or at Wal-Mart. They probably look at the good looking men even though they don't know why they are famous. I think when they travel, Boob and Mullet probably ban TV in hotel rooms, but some of them probably manage to watch some stuff.

Archived