IGNORED

The Peanut butter war

BlondeAgent007

It is strange how tastes are different, LPL! My impression is that Americans have a much sweeter tooth than we do, but are more adventurous and like combining things.

I am most confused by "Jello salad". How did this happen? It sounds like the vilest idea in the history of food to me ;)

Agree about dogs and cats, but for me it's partly because eating carnivores and scavengers is a bad idea. Though I am fond of cats and dogs.

Rodents, would depend on the rodent and how they were raised. Bugs, rather not, but I know some are edible.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is strange how tastes are different, LPL! My impression is that Americans have a much sweeter tooth than we do, but are more adventurous and like combining things.

I am most confused by "Jello salad". How did this happen? It sounds like the vilest idea in the history of food to me ;)

Agree about dogs and cats, but for me it's partly because eating carnivores and scavengers is a bad idea. Though I am fond of cats and dogs.

Rodents, would depend on the rodent and how they were raised. Bugs, rather not, but I know some are edible.

I have no idea how jello salad started from other than back in the 1920's Jello having ads with the recipes and give aways for new recipes. Soon it became the thing to make and bring some kind of jello salad to all events. I can see the sweet thing for the reasons you already stated but how in the hell did someone come up with my arch nemesis tomato aspic* that appeared every holiday? :puke-huge:

* not my mother's recipe as her had even more veggies and canned clams in it but you will get the idea.

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/01/31/ret ... spic-ring/

Isn't Jello the same as jelly? What's the difference between the American definition of jelly and jam? Either way, you should NOT mix them with peanut butter! Or salad!

Isn't Jello the same as jelly? What's the difference between the American definition of jelly and jam? Either way, you should NOT mix them with peanut butter! Or salad!

No, I don't think Jello is at all the same thing as jelly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jell-O

and some pictures of jello

http://www.google.com/search?q=jello&hl ... 80&bih=929

and the jello website

http://www.kraftbrands.com/jello/

So nothing like jam or jelly IMO. :snooty:

I still think jam and peanut butter sounds gross but better than peanut butter and jelly. My mum likes jam and cheese and that makes me gag.

ETA: Haven't you ever heard the children's song: Jelly on a plate, jelly on a plate, wibble wobble wibble wobble jelly on a plate!4

..no? It sounds less dumb when you're a child :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, when I first heard of PBJ sandwiches, I used to imagine wobbly Jello falling out as you bite into it.

Speaking of sandwiches, can we have a bread war too. My breadmaker came with an American recipe book which asks for whole tablespoons of sugar in a 1 or 2lb loaf :o . I usually use 1 level tsp of sugar, just to activate the yeast, and gagged when I ate my first 'American loaf'. Is that for real, or do you have savoury breads too...? :D

Yeah, when I first heard of PBJ sandwiches, I used to imagine wobbly Jello falling out as you bite into it.

Speaking of sandwiches, can we have a bread war too. My breadmaker came with an American recipe book which asks for whole tablespoons of sugar in a 1 or 2lb loaf :o . I usually use 1 level tsp of sugar, just to activate the yeast, and gagged when I ate my first 'American loaf'. Is that for real, or do you have savoury breads too...? :D

I don't know about homemade breads, but I found the loaves of plain white bread you buy in stores to taste basically the same in the UK and the US. You can, of course, get truly sweet breads with cinnamon/raisins/etc and breads with savory spices and cheese and whatnot.

I still think jam and peanut butter sounds gross but better than peanut butter and jelly. My mum likes jam and cheese and that makes me gag.

ETA: Haven't you ever heard the children's song: Jelly on a plate, jelly on a plate, wibble wobble wibble wobble jelly on a plate!4

..no? It sounds less dumb when you're a child :lol:

Or the Jeely Piece Song ;)

"Ye cannae fling a piece oot the windae o a twenty story flat

Seven hundert hungry weans will testify tae that..."

For Americans, this is how I know "Jelly" means "Jam". A jeely piece is a jam sandwich (piece means sandwich). We sang this song at school, it's about a kid who moves to a multistory flat and his mum is throwing him a sandwich out of the window. But she lives on the nineteenth floor...the sandwich goes into orbit, messes with planes etc :D

Scottish people have strange songs....

LOL yes, we loved the song but we were rural schoolkids with no highrises in sight! It was a bit outside our experience, we just went in to get a sandwich, no one threw it to us anyway ;)

Piece, I think is a bit Northern, do some northern English people say it too? We used to say "my playpiece" and I hear adults sometimes say "I forgot my piece" just to mean lunch, not automatically a sandwich.

Guest Anonymous

Originally a Northerner, here, and we never had 'pieces'. It took me ages to work out what they were when I first heard the word. :lol:

@anniec, yes we have lots of different kinds of savory and sweet breads. I've never made bread from scratch other than some sweet breads that are more like cakes like banana bread, so I'm not sure of how much sugar one would put into different kinds of bread.

@JFC, I agree that your neck of the woods has odd songs but I like them... even more when you explain them. :whistle:

In case anyone is wondering, CJ had her baby, and her daughter is just gorgeous! Everything went well. She and her husband have moved far enough from fundie-ism that you'd be hard-pressed to tell that just over a year ago they were in the middle of it. CJ even has a regular job outside the home. The whole family is doing well, and I feel blessed to count both CJ and her husband as dear friends of mine.

In case anyone is wondering, CJ had her baby, and her daughter is just gorgeous! Everything went well. She and her husband have moved far enough from fundie-ism that you'd be hard-pressed to tell that just over a year ago they were in the middle of it. CJ even has a regular job outside the home. The whole family is doing well, and I feel blessed to count both CJ and her husband as dear friends of mine.

I forgot who CJ is, remind me please. :?

I really can't remember either except in my mind she went a little crazy at the end.

I forgot who CJ is, remind me please. :?

CJ = confusedjezebel

Ah, thank you. :? Still don't really know who she is other than a whack job that used to post on FJ. Or am I thinking of someone else?

@anniec, yes we have lots of different kinds of savory and sweet breads. I've never made bread from scratch other than some sweet breads that are more like cakes like banana bread, so I'm not sure of how much sugar one would put into different kinds of bread.

@JFC, I agree that your neck of the woods has odd songs but I like them... even more when you explain them. :whistle:

LPG, do you have a variant of "Ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus" ? The tune is "She'll be coming round the mountain" and it's about the importance of, er, not forcing one's grandmother from public transport ;)

Goes like this:

Ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus

No ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus

Ye cannae shove yer granny

Cause she's your mammy's mammy

No ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus

We sang that at school too, with appropriate slowing down and speeding up ;)

If we do then I've never heard it and I'm a collector of sorts of parodies. Damn, I really need to hear these fine Scottish songs I tell you. :D I have been sorely deprived. :(

Archived