IGNORED

The Peanut butter war

BlondeAgent007

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The story with the valentines: we were going to stop at the store for valentine cards. I asked the kids what kind they wanted to look for. Grace wanted peace signs and skulls, Malcolm wanted kangaroos and otters. I told them neither was likely to be at the store. So, right in front of the Valentine's Day display was a set with peace signs and skulls. Malcolm was thus convinced that I was wrong and made us go through every single box of valentines at Walmart to ensure that there was not one with otters and kangaroos.

Before I officially joined FJ I totally read through the entire peanut butter thread. :lol:

I recently developed a peanut allergy and I'm still absolutely devastated! It happened so recently that I still have a giant bowl full of Snickers/Reese's that I got on clearance after Halloween--and several jars of peanut butter that I bought on sale because I wanted to make peanut butter fudge. My go-to cereal? Turns out, it has peanuts. My go-to takeaway meal? Pad thai. My go-to snack? Peanut butter crackers. My favorite junk food-y breakfast? Peanut butter French toast (i.e., a PB sandwich cooked like French toast). *sigh* Life is far less delicious now...

Ugh, I'm sorry. My apple sensitivity went to a true allergy at about that age too.

I know my schools don't ban peanut butter. At one of them today, I walked through the teacher's room and picked up a peanut butter cookie that was part of a lunch that I missed. mmmmm.

Oh god. I want peanut butter so badly. Sooo badly. It has been three years? since the last time I had some. I chose not to eat any peanuts during pregnancy, and nursing the first little one, and now the same with my second. I don't know if it is the right thing to do, but I have food allergies and tree nut allergies and docs don't seem to know. Although my doc husband was like "you crazy".

My favorite peanut butter item.....peanut butter squares. I believe the peanut butter is mixed with icing sugar and then you add lots and lots of coloured mini marshmallows and then chill. Mmmmmm

17010003_lg.jpg

I want this.

My son would love this..he is an absolute peanut butter monster :)

As for me, I prefer crunchy peanut butter, and love me some apple slices with peanut butter on them, or just peanut butter by the spoonful :drool:

The combo with peanut butter and slapped between two slices of bread is actually quite tasty :). My favorite PBJ is made with raspberry jam. Yum. I think I might have some for a snack.

Raspberry jam is the only jam with peanut butter. :snooty:

I am coming out of my closet to say that I still love liverworst sandwiches but don't eat them as they are verrrrry high in calories. I also lover liver pate and liver and onions. :shhh:

Raspberry jam is the only jam with peanut butter. :snooty:

I am coming out of my closet to say that I still love liverworst sandwiches but don't eat them as they are verrrrry high in calories. I also lover liver pate and liver and onions. :shhh:

I have to admit that I'm a liver and onions fan too.... Don't eat it often either. (I'm jealous that it's on sr menus sometimes, but never on regular ones.)

For me the perfect jam or jelly is most homemade jellies and jams- apricot, blackberry and plum are the ones I grew up with, and I make now. I have a blackberry cocoa jam that is WONDERFUL on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

I have to admit that I'm a liver and onions fan too.... Don't eat it often either. (I'm jealous that it's on sr menus sometimes, but never on regular ones.)

For me the perfect jam or jelly is most homemade jellies and jams- apricot, blackberry and plum are the ones I grew up with, and I make now. I have a blackberry cocoa jam that is WONDERFUL on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

I have never even heard of blackberry cocoa jam but now I'm craving it on ice cream. Yes, much to all my sons disgust I put jam on vanilla ice cream. :whistle:

I have never even heard of blackberry cocoa jam but now I'm craving it on ice cream. Yes, much to all my sons disgust I put jam on vanilla ice cream. :whistle:

Fruit syrup is just jam that hasn't set, I don't see why there is an issue. I used a recipe from The Ball Complete Book of Home Canning, and subbed blackberries for cherries (I think, might have been raspberries, I'd have to look it up- it is whatever recipe I wrote notes all over.), next time I'd reduce the amount of pectin I used, since blackberries have more natural pectin than cherries.

And yes, I write all over my cookbooks.

You guys have convinced me to open a jar of cashew butter that I had stashed. Tomorrow, I think I am going to buy a jar of MaraNatha deep chocolate peanut spread.

Any allergy can start at any time. And sometimes allergies go away. They are a very fickle thing.

This is very true. I didn't have any type of allergies until I turned 18. Now, I'm the allergy queen.

Me too - I ate some strawberries three weeks ago, and noticed that my lips, tongue, chin and neck became itchy. I stopped immediately but thought that it couldn't be the strawberries as I had eaten them quite happily before Christmas. I did some experiments in the next few days with different batches/suppliers/varieties, and found that they all had the same effect, but also a metallic taste in my mouth and feeling nauseous. So, somehow, I just started to be allergic to strawberries despite having eaten them happily for a lifetime. Bizarre.

Ironically, I just planted some strawberry plants, and the berries are starting to ripen just now. Really, why can't I be allergic to celery, parsnips or some other vegetable I don't like? I'm super grateful that I'm allergic to something reasonably obvious - I feel for those of you allergic to more invisible and commonly used stuff like peanuts, sesame, wheat, dairy etc.

This thread is making me feel sick! aargh.:D

I haven't got a sweet tooth at all and jam and peanut butter is filled with wrongness. How do these two things mix? Who thought that up?

I haven't got a sweet tooth at all and jam and peanut butter is filled with wrongness. How do these two things mix? Who thought that up?

If that gets you, you should never ever even *think* about a fluffer-nutter-sandwich.

(fluff = marshmallow creme. + Peanut butter)

Can be toasted...or even made w/ angel food cake:

http://funnernutter.com/dessert/fluffernutter-cakewich/

Sunbutter (aka Sunflower Seed Butter at Trader Joes). Get yourself some sunbutter. It's the closest non-peanut "butter" that I've found in my years of searching that is close enough in taste/texture to PB to pass muster. Soynut butter has a tendency to be gritty/grainy.

Will have to try that! I go to TJ to buy beer for my fiance and I happen to be going today. Guess something else is going on the list! Thank you soooo much :) :) :)

Starbars are evil i tell you. Be warned, if you eat one you will spend the rest of your life craving them.

THEY STILL EXIST?

I remember them making their debut when I was about 9. I can even remember the commercial. A bunch of people dancing down the street singing, "We got the makings of a star - bar!" I loved it. Then is disappeared.

Where can I get one? I assume I have to leave the country...

Oh, we even sang a song about it in Girl Scouts! Here's a version of the song from YouTube (I apologize, it's Barney, but it's the only version I had time to find):

7pRXGywEsdo

Oh, we even sang a song about it in Girl Scouts! Here's a version of the song from YouTube (I apologize, it's Barney, but it's the only version I had time to find):

7pRXGywEsdo

I used to sing that song with my 2 year olds! We used it as a lesson in directions and the way things go in a natural order.. you can't make PBJ without first crushing the peanuts... and so on! I love that song.. but we didn't have the barney version. We used a record player and an old vinyl record for the song. The kids loved figuring out that this was not just a BIG CD, but actually how their grandparents listened to music. (I say grandparents cause I worked at a daycare that specifically had a lot of young/teen parents.)

If that gets you, you should never ever even *think* about a fluffer-nutter-sandwich.

My husband is from Rochester NY and lived on fluff-a-nutters. I personaly never had one but all 5 of our sons love them and they are very thankful everytime grandma sends us a case of fluff.

That actually sounds less gross than pb and jam! I think it's the fruit and PB thing which gets me, I mean what???

They sell Star Bars in vending machines at my work...

That actually sounds less gross than pb and jam! I think it's the fruit and PB thing which gets me, I mean what???

They sell Star Bars in vending machines at my work...

It just amazes me that depending on where one is raised determines taste. I always thought that all 1st world nations knew about PB&Js but I was wrong. ;) I guess because because the US has had so many different people coming here for so long that almost everything* sounds good and it is hard to remember that a lot of what we eat didn't start out as "American" food. I wonder what others think of our "french toast" and "english muffins" since the food isn't so French or English?

* I still think eating bug, rodents and dogs/cats is grosser than gross.

My big takeaway from the peanut butter war was realizing that lots of people think peanut butter tastes bitter, and that's why they add sugar (which seems heretical to me, having been raised on the "only ingredients are peanuts and salt" natural peanut butters). Straight peanut butter seems sweet to me, which is why I prefer it paired with sweet (chocolate, jam, honey, carrots, apples) or neutral (breads, celery) and don't care for it much with savories, like in Thai food. But peanut butter with sugar added to it, much less those abominations that mix jam or honey right into the jar, just strikes me as icky. I like to be in control of how much sweet (not to mention I get suspicious about what they add to those products to make them not spoil and not mix together). But if I thought straight peanut butter tasted bitter, I guess I'd see the Jiffy, etc. brands differently.

Archived