IGNORED

The Peanut butter war

BlondeAgent007

If we do then I've never heard it and I'm a collector of sorts of parodies. Damn, I really need to hear these fine Scottish songs I tell you. :D I have been sorely deprived. :(

No kidding!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot how fundie CJ is/was!

I'm glad that your school does not allow sodomite couples to the prom or whatever it is you guys call it over there. But most schools here do, and they allow the kids to practise sodomy openly. We cannot refuse to rent houses to sodomite couples because that is discrimination, according to Australian law. I'm glad America is not that bad yet. But if you keep allowing all the rest and the tolerance of sodomy, it will for sure happen.

Just so you know, I am one of the people that thinks inter-racial marriage is wrong. I have friends that are in inter-racial marriages and I don't condemn them but I do think that its wrong.

Keeping it classy right thar. :evil:

eta: I guess she renounced her racism and homophobia at some point, so I guess I should not hold that against her.

That is an epic thread, and I don't even remember it despite posting in it multiple times. It's definitely me, so... weird.

I still think jam and peanut butter sounds gross

Well....fair's fair: Most Americans think Marmite (and its even more gross cousin: Vegemite) Sandwiches taste/sound as good as eating socks.

Guess we're all influenced by where we grow up. :-D

I forgot how fundie CJ is/was!

I'm glad she has changed. That is some pretty vile stuff there.

Keeping it classy right thar. :evil:

eta: I guess she renounced her racism and homophobia at some point, so I guess I should not hold that against her.

That is an epic thread, and I don't even remember it despite posting in it multiple times. It's definitely me, so... weird.

LPG, do you have a variant of "Ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus" ? The tune is "She'll be coming round the mountain" and it's about the importance of, er, not forcing one's grandmother from public transport ;)

Goes like this:

Ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus

No ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus

Ye cannae shove yer granny

Cause she's your mammy's mammy

No ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus

We sang that at school too, with appropriate slowing down and speeding up ;)

JFC, my grandmother, who was from Ireland, taught us a very similar song to that. We used to go over to her house and sing it constantly. My parents hated it, but granma loved hearing us sing it! I had forgotten completely about it until now!

Oh Jeebus! I didn't realise CJ was an Australian. I am so ashamed and must apologise profusely on all of Australia's behalf! We are not like that AT ALL!

Also, JFC, I cannot get that song out of my head now...

Amster, I aim to please ;)

BlackHawk, how cool! Maybe that is where it originally came from. I think every Scottish parent has been annoyed by that song at one point or another so I feel their pain!

I was thinking about other songs at school and wondering if people in other countries sang them. There's "The cabbage song" which is, as its name suggests, a song at least partly about cabbages. It's not Scots, it's just a bit weird, and contains the line "They all sleep together in a flowery bed" :D

We could sing "Puff the magic dragon" at one school I went to but not at another because it was "about drugs".

It is strange how tastes are different, LPL! My impression is that Americans have a much sweeter tooth than we do, but are more adventurous and like combining things.

I am most confused by "Jello salad". How did this happen? It sounds like the vilest idea in the history of food to me ;)

Agree about dogs and cats, but for me it's partly because eating carnivores and scavengers is a bad idea. Though I am fond of cats and dogs.

Rodents, would depend on the rodent and how they were raised. Bugs, rather not, but I know some are edible.

Jello salad depends on the type- with fruit it is generally okay to good, but the stuff with shredded carrots and mayo or other vegetables is another story...

I think that Americans are all over the place in terms of adventurous, I will eat a ton of things and try most new stuff (if somebody offered me a guinea pig, I'd try it, speaking of rodents.). However, I had a roommate in college who appeared to live on diet pepsi, hot dogs and kraft mac and cheese.

We could sing "Puff the magic dragon" at one school I went to but not at another because it was "about drugs".

Puff is not about drugs, that's an urban legend, but from your " I figure you already know that. I don't understand how a person can't tell that it's about growing up and leaving your old toys behind.

However, there was a big deal in my district about "The Cat Came Back" a few years ago. Had to do partially with the "violence" in the song, but more about the word "pray" in one verse that a teacher was teaching. Um, yeah, really.

I still think jam and peanut butter sounds gross but better than peanut butter and jelly. My mum likes jam and cheese and that makes me gag.

I like jam and cheese, but only if it is grilled. And Nutella and cream cheese is awfully good too.

Scottish people have strange songs....

Being an American music teacher, I have to say that we have strange songs too. Even some of our pop songs- who remembers Fish Heads or Billions of Peaches? And for kids there are things like Black Socks, One bottle of pop, and Matilda the Gorilla.

JFC, my grandmother, who was from Ireland, taught us a very similar song to that. We used to go over to her house and sing it constantly. My parents hated it, but granma loved hearing us sing it! I had forgotten completely about it until now!

Gotta love grandmas with a sense of humor. My mom and her parents would sing stuff like "Great Green Gobs of Greasy Grimy Gopher's Guts" and "Oh I wish I was" which included the following verses.

Oh I wish I was a little keg of beer, keg of beer.

Well I'd go down with a slurp, and I'd come up with a burp,

Oh I wish I was a little keg of beer.

Oh I wish I was a little bar of soap, bar of soap.

I'd slippy and I'd slidy over everybody's hiney,

Oh I wish I was a little bar of soap.

Oh I wish I was a little english sparrow, english sparrow.

Oh I'd sit up on the steeples and I'd shit on all the people,

Oh I wish I was a little english sparrow.

(I have since sung that at summer camps with "Bottle of pop" and "poop" replacing some of the words.)

Wolfie, You're right, gotta love the grandma's. Mine taught me some odd Christmas carols that have many of my friends thinking I was raised by wolves. My dad's mom was even upset when I sang "Do your boobs hang low" instead of ears and replied that yes they do and someday when I had mine they would hang low too. :shock: Damn that woman for being right.

@JFC And the world shrinks a little as I remember my mom singing Puff the magic dragon to us. She loved it so much that we even saw the movie many times. Where is the happy memories with tears smilie?

Puff is not about drugs, that's an urban legend, but from your " I figure you already know that. I don't understand how a person can't tell that it's about growing up and leaving your old toys behind.

However, there was a big deal in my district about "The Cat Came Back" a few years ago. Had to do partially with the "violence" in the song, but more about the word "pray" in one verse that a teacher was teaching. Um, yeah, really.

I love that song "The Cat Came Back". It must be regional, because I heard it from Raffi and no one I know has heard of it. It was my oldest son's favorite when he was a preschooler. That and "Baby Beluga".

I love that song "The Cat Came Back". It must be regional, because I heard it from Raffi and no one I know has heard of it. It was my oldest son's favorite when he was a preschooler. That and "Baby Beluga".

Wiki on the subject... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_Came_Back

and the lyrics can get awfully graphic, as with any song that has followed a folk song path. Raffi is pretty mild. Most people around here seem to know Baby Beluga from Raffi, though.

The Raffi version involved keeping the cat away with nails and dynamite, not mild at all for a children's song!

The Raffi version involved keeping the cat away with nails and dynamite, not mild at all for a children's song!

But probably no drowning or atom bombs?

But I do love Raffi for keeping most childrens songs pretty much as they were.

I think there was drowning, but I don't remember bombs. That does seem like overkill for a little yellow cat. :) But I am sure children love that version.

Although aren't the best kid's songs all about horridness?

Mr. Dawbs sings 'Johnny Verbeck' (one of the many spelling variations on that one) to the kiddo to put her to sleep...

The main Chorus goes something like:

Oh, Mister Johnnie Verbeck, How could you be so mean ?

I told you you'd be sorry for inventing that machine.

All the neighbors' cats and dogs will never more be seen.

For they'll be ground to sausages in Johnnie Verbeck's

machine.

(his version is slightly different, but that's how it goes. Eventually, Mr. Verbeck gets sucked into his own machine when his sleepwalking wife turns it on.)

Gotta love grandmas with a sense of humor. My mom and her parents would sing stuff like "Great Green Gobs of Greasy Grimy Gopher's Guts" and "Oh I wish I was" which included the following verses.

Well I'd go down with a slurp, and I'd come up with a burp,

Oh I wish I was a little keg of beer.

I'd slippy and I'd slidy over everybody's hiney,

Oh I wish I was a little bar of soap.

Oh I'd sit up on the steeples and I'd shit on all the people,

Oh I wish I was a little english sparrow.

(I have since sung that at summer camps with "Bottle of pop" and "poop" replacing some of the words.)

Oh, we sang that at Girl Scouts, too! I think we did "bottle of pop," too, but I don't remember singing the english sparrow verse.

This was the song I loved as a kid that drove my mom nuts:

I'm bringing home my baby bumble-bee

Won't my mommy be so proud of me

I'm bringing home my baby bumble-bee....

Owe! He stung me!

I'm smashing up my baby bumble-bee

I'm smashing up my baby bumble bee....

Ewwwe, what a mess.

I'm licking up my baby bumble-bee

I'm licking up my baby bumble-bee

Ewwwwe, I don't feel so good.

I'm puking up my baby bumble-bee....

LOL yes, we loved the song but we were rural schoolkids with no highrises in sight! It was a bit outside our experience, we just went in to get a sandwich, no one threw it to us anyway ;)

Piece, I think is a bit Northern, do some northern English people say it too? We used to say "my playpiece" and I hear adults sometimes say "I forgot my piece" just to mean lunch, not automatically a sandwich.

Well, "jelly/jello" and"piece/sandwich" will be our words for today. My kids love all those .

Piece here can also mean slang for gun or even like a disrespectful slang for a hookup/girlfrend.(like ,short for piece of ass).We won't be discussing that definition yet.

Amster, I aim to please ;)

BlackHawk, how cool! Maybe that is where it originally came from. I think every Scottish parent has been annoyed by that song at one point or another so I feel their pain!

I was thinking about other songs at school and wondering if people in other countries sang them. There's "The cabbage song" which is, as its name suggests, a song at least partly about cabbages. It's not Scots, it's just a bit weird, and contains the line "They all sleep together in a flowery bed" :D

We sang that! I loved the Cabbage song, we sang it every Harvest!

Cauliflowers fluffy, cabbages green,

Strawberries sweeter than any I've seen

Beetroots purple and onions white

All grow steadily day and night

The apples are ripe and the plums are red

The broadbeans are sleeping in their blankety bed

Blackberries are juicy and rhubards sour

Marrows fattening hour by hour

Gooseberries hairy and lettuces fat

Radishes round and runner beans flat

The broadbeans are sleeping in their blankety bed

Orangey carrots and turnips cream

Reddening tomatoes that used to be green

Brown potatoes in little heaps

Down in the darkness where the celery sleeps

The broadbeans are sleeping in their blankety bed, YEAH!

Okay, I did have to check the lyrics online but I could remember most of them! I loved singing the last line and shouting YEAH!

Did you have the clapping Song 'I went to a Chinese Restaurant' and 'See see my Baby'?

THEY STILL EXIST?

I remember them making their debut when I was about 9. I can even remember the commercial. A bunch of people dancing down the street singing, "We got the makings of a star - bar!" I loved it. Then is disappeared.

Where can I get one? I assume I have to leave the country...

Looks like you can order them from the U.K. http://www.handycandy.co.uk/cadburys-star-p-326.html

Archived