IGNORED

Theonomic Kids: God Smites Autonomous People

Witsec1

Guest Anonymous
Quizzing my kids on theonomy/autonomy in the car...

Got to teach them young that thinking for yourself will send you straight to hell. Just when I think fundies couldn't possibly get more disturbing. Why in the world did she upload that to youtube?

Is there a transcript (or anybody willing to type one up?) I'm not sure I wanna stop listening to Sweeney Todd to listen to this, and I sometimes have trouble with speech on videos anyway.

Got to teach them young that thinking for yourself will send you straight to hell. Just when I think fundies couldn't possibly get more disturbing. Why in the world did she upload that to youtube?

So she can show people how great she is at being a mommy?

My guess is she posted him saying this shit so she could get the idea out there without taking the flack herself.

Let's hope someone keeps track of this clip when that little automaton-in-training grows up to be a serial killer/stalker, and we all can see where his pathology comes from...

Funny how autonomy is 100% evil, and everything is a pretty shade of either black or white.

We are all autonomous by virtue of the fact that we can all choose. Under these assumptions, you ought to be able to reason that God gives man a measure of autonomy, and then compels man to choose whether to do what is right in his own eyes, or to submit to an ethical code (be that the Bible or something else). In the understanding of many, there appears to be no middle ground where one can be responsible and have initiative within their own sense of autonomy (God's gift to man???) and the legalistic automaton.

I consider myself a Christian who is autonomous, but I yield myself to and choose to follow God's law. My autonomy of choice is never denied, and at the same time, I can follow God's law. God' gives man autonomy and then lets man determine what he will do with it. And I believe that man will be accountable for those choices.

Other autonomous people who may not be Christians can agree to follow basic laws which help preserve the rights of all and balance them against one another. It all depends on what you want to submit to. Some people do create their own laws and act like they don't have to be accountable to anyone. But some people live by quite ethical standards, for the most part. If they do good and don't harm others, they are not just living by their own rules in the grand sense. They can very well adopt a code of ethics apart from Christianity. Sadly, some of these alternatives put most Christians to shame.

Somehow with these folks, you just need to follow the playbook (usually a Chalcedon text), and you can be free from the duty of making the choice. Their cure sounds worse than the disease.

And why do most theonomists take things down to a survival of the fittest mentality? She's starting this little guy off young.

There's an "autonomous centre" I know. Will God smite it, I wonder? ;)

Can't do a transcript, but what basically happens is the mum asks the wean (a little boy) "What is theonomy?" He's a bit distracted and inaudible, and she coaches him "God's law, right?" She asks him "What is autonomy" and "What is an autonomous man?" and he answers "This is MY law, I'll do it MY way." She points out to him that God's law is the Bible, to which he readily agrees. At the end she asks him what God will do to an autonomous man, and he raises his fists, brings them down and says loudly "He will SMITE them!"

There's an "autonomous centre" I know. Will God smite it, I wonder? ;)

Can't do a transcript, but what basically happens is the mum asks the wean (a little boy) "What is theonomy?" He's a bit distracted and inaudible, and she coaches him "God's law, right?" She asks him "What is autonomy" and "What is an autonomous man?" and he answers "This is MY law, I'll do it MY way." She points out to him that God's law is the Bible, to which he readily agrees. At the end she asks him what God will do to an autonomous man, and he raises his fists, brings them down and says loudly "He will SMITE them!"

Yup, that's essentially it.

Funny isn't it, how God never shows up in person, either to give commands or smite people. It's always some human, usually a dude, commanding and smiting.

Is that the same Leah that spanks and prays over her 2 yr-old daughter for more than 2 hrs because she didn't say "please" when she wanted a drink of juice? (talked about in another thread).

Theonomists are among the worst, out of all the fundie crazies out there; and that says alot.

Silly me. I was always wrong. Here I thought autonomy meant the able to be independent and care for yourself.

Dictionary.com says:

au·ton·o·my   /ɔˈtɒnəmi/ Show Spelled[aw-ton-uh-mee] Show IPA

noun, plural -mies.

1. independence or freedom, as of the will or one's actions: the autonomy of the individual.

2. the condition of being autonomous; self-government, or the right of self-government; independence: The rebels demanded autonomy from Spain.

3. a self-governing community.

My Encarta North America Dictionary says:

1. Self-government: politics political independence and self-government. 2. Existence as an independent moral agent: philosophy personal independence and the capacity to make moral decisions and act on them. 3. Independence of text: literature the status of a text as an aesthetic object not to be judged or commented on in the light of external knowledge such as the biography of the author.

Bold mine. Apparently Leah doesn't want her children to have personal independence of any kind and she doesn't want nor trust them to make the same moral decisions they have made as parents. I mean, they made good, moral choices, right? Oh, wait...never mind.

Bold mine. Apparently Leah doesn't want her children to have personal independence of any kind and she doesn't want nor trust them to make the same moral decisions they have made as parents. I mean, they made good, moral choices, right? Oh, wait...never mind.

Well, of course not, you're just being silly. Leah wants to raise only good, God-fearing, zombies for the Lord. No independent thinking allowed. If you beat and indoctrinate your children long enough, they'll do exactly what you say...or murder you in your sleep and not get prison time because of the years of abuse.

My Encarta North America Dictionary says:

If they have personal independence, they might make choices mommy doesn't approve of... We can't have that now can we?

It was also weird because all the people I know who chuck around the term "autonomous" a lot are anarchists. So I watched the video a bit confused at first, going "God has it in for anarchists?" *shrug*

Then I realised it was Standard Fundy "God has it in for everyone not just like us."

Archived