IGNORED

Michelle Duggar's Blog

acutexenophobia

On the other hand, if you asked Michelle: "Describe how Jana and Jessa are similar to each other", or "In what ways are Joseph and Josiah different?" she would no doubt be able to tell you something more meaningful. (Maybe not so much with the Howlers...but then little boys of a certain age are all pretty much alike, aren't they?)

In an interview question where she is only expected to give a few soundbytes about personality differences, it would be hard to come up with something meaningful about each of the 19 kids without taking all day about it. If she were to start saying, "Well, J____ is is thoughtful. He's really into history and science and we usually have to pry him away from his books. He tends to be methodical and doesn't like change, so he gets stressed when we go on our trips because our routine is shaken up. He enjoys a good debate and is often one of the loudest around the table when we're talking about a certain issue," etc. we'd get bored pretty quickly.

I do agree that the way she rambles on about some of them walking earlier than others makes her sound like an airhead, and you would think that, since there has been so much criticism levied at JB and Michelle for seeming not to know too much about their children, they would make an effort to show that they do in fact know which kids are which and what their characteristics are (beyond the liking of pickles or the color pink).

Do you still remember what the episode was about? Cos now I wanna see this clip of her get angry.

I can't remember which one, but Michelle, Jim Bob and one of their older daughters were standing in front of something in the house (maybe a piano?). And the daughter said something Michelle didn't like. (It wasn't a big deal, maybe "That's stupid!" or some other typical teenage remark.) Michelle looked really pissed off and put her hand up, pretending she was gonna give the daughter a smack--but then put her hand back down. She quickly put a smile on her face and tried to force out a fake laugh. I took me by surprise cuz I'd never seen her temper before.

If I ever run across it again, I'll post the link.

If she were to start saying, "Well, J____ is is thoughtful. He's really into history and science and we usually have to pry him away from his books. He tends to be methodical and doesn't like change, so he gets stressed when we go on our trips because our routine is shaken up. He enjoys a good debate and is often one of the loudest around the table when we're talking about a certain issue," etc. we'd get bored pretty quickly

True, and they don't allow the kids to pursue a variety of interests and hobbies so there are not a lot of ways to define them in a soundbyte. For my kids, I could say in a sentence what they like to do, the things that define them. I could say, for instance, that Grace is generally an artistic prodigy, stunningly good at violin, singing, drawing, writing, etc. Or that Rachael is a woodland creature (that's actually what we call her) that lives in her own world populated with unicorns and fairies. But none of those differences are encouraged in the Duggar family.

On the other hand, if you asked Michelle: "Describe how Jana and Jessa are similar to each other", or "In what ways are Joseph and Josiah different?" she would no doubt be able to tell you something more meaningful. (Maybe not so much with the Howlers...but then little boys of a certain age are all pretty much alike, aren't they?)

In an interview question where she is only expected to give a few soundbytes about personality differences, it would be hard to come up with something meaningful about each of the 19 kids without taking all day about it. If she were to start saying, "Well, J____ is is thoughtful. He's really into history and science and we usually have to pry him away from his books. He tends to be methodical and doesn't like change, so he gets stressed when we go on our trips because our routine is shaken up. He enjoys a good debate and is often one of the loudest around the table when we're talking about a certain issue," etc. we'd get bored pretty quickly.

I do agree that the way she rambles on about some of them walking earlier than others makes her sound like an airhead, and you would think that, since there has been so much criticism levied at JB and Michelle for seeming not to know too much about their children, they would make an effort to show that they do in fact know which kids are which and what their characteristics are (beyond the liking of pickles or the color pink).

I see what you're saying, except she does it even when it's not a talking head interview -- like on her blog.

i went downstairs to ask my father about this. He has three adult children and I would say that qualifies as good experience. I said, "is it true that children don't have personalities until nine months?" he looked at me like i had eight heads. His reply was, "your sister started TALKING at nine months." Well, Michelle, I would think that being able to express oneself verbally shows that they had a personality long before that time. Shes a moron.

Uhh, no. My oldest was a personality in the womb. The first time we saw her was at 10 weeks along, and she was hanging upside down and waving to the world. She's been that way ever since.

I can't remember which one, but Michelle, Jim Bob and one of their older daughters were standing in front of something in the house (maybe a piano?). And the daughter said something Michelle didn't like. (It wasn't a big deal, maybe "That's stupid!" or some other typical teenage remark.) Michelle looked really pissed off and put her hand up, pretending she was gonna give the daughter a smack--but then put her hand back down. She quickly put a smile on her face and tried to force out a fake laugh. I took me by surprise cuz I'd never seen her temper before.

If I ever run across it again, I'll post the link.

Ok for some reason i think it could be when josh was courting anna, they were talking about getting emails from guys and janna? said - there all weridos. and Michelle playfully hit her saying - oh janna shush (or something) i dont know if thats what your thinking of, but it came staright in to my head lol.

Ok for some reason i think it could be when josh was courting anna, they were talking about getting emails from guys and janna? said - there all weridos. and Michelle playfully hit her saying - oh janna shush (or something) i dont know if thats what your thinking of, but it came staright in to my head lol.

Was Michelle angry (for just a second) in that scene? It could be the one I'm thinking of. The only thing I remember is that they were standing in the house and (I thought) it was near a piano. It just got my attention because I'd never seen Michelle get angry before. I can't remember that much about the episode because, most of the time, I find that show kinda boring and I only leave it on when I'm cleaning or doing something else. So, I'm not paying strict attention to it. So, it has to be something out of the ordinary for me to take notice. The only other thing I've ever noticed on that show was when Michelle was picking out her wedding dress (for renewal of vows). She was looking in the mirror and Jim Bob walked up and said (something like) "I thought YOU said you don't like that kind of dress..." (Like Jim Bob was trying to get Michelle to wear the dress he wanted--but also wanted to make her think it was her idea.) Michelle got the most "deer in the headlights" look I'd ever seen on anyone. For just a flash, she looked really frustrated. From the few times I've paid attention to the show, I've noticed that Michelle hides her true emotions with a smile.

Man, I went to look at the blog, and...

Jana ended up getting sick and John-David got sick as they were coming home, but it was eye-opening, I think, because they realized that what we experience here in America with all of the electricity and the running water and the luxury of even having the hospital if you need it — Jana was so sick that she had to go to a doctor.

Not only is this all one single, run-on sentence, but she doesn't even complete the thought. 'They realized that what we experience here in America [random tangent].'

This is horrible. They need to get a proofreader! It's not like it's the TLC site where they might provide one for them, but she desperately needs someone to make her at least look coherent.

Jessa was the one who replied "They're all morons" in response to the creeps who were propositioning the girls via email a couple of years ago.

Jinger would be the one I imagine would say something halfway snarky that could earn a look from Michelle, before she regains her generally medicated persona.

I DID think it was funny on one show when Michelle said Joy Anna was most like she was as a girl [before she morphed into a boy-chasing pieces-of-her-heat-squandering-cheerleader].

Actually, just a couple episodes ago, she said HANNIE is the most like her. Sad how when the life is beaten out the girl who USED to be most like her, another one springs up in her place, until the life is beaten out of HER. Jana was the original daughter-with-spunk; we see what's happened to her.

Michelle is a moron if she doesn't see this. Even if she does, I guess she now justifies it by saying she was "sinning and defrauding," blah blah blah. Don't forget, Michelle, even your programmed, "chosen" kids are atoning for "sins" the majority of the populace consider regular behavior, just so they can repent for SOMETHING (as they judge the rest of us with our scarlet letters of big-time sins).

As if they'd even understand that Hawthorne was writing about the hypocrisy of people like them. *eyeroll*

ALSO :lol:

Jana has such a serving heart that she would take in as many [kids] as she could if there were orphans and what not

What are you talking about, Michelle?! There ARE orphans and what not out there, but Jana isn't taking them in because you don't allow her to live an adult life!

Jessa was the one who replied "They're all morons" in response to the creeps who were propositioning the girls via email a couple of years ago.

Jinger would be the one I imagine would say something halfway snarky that could earn a look from Michelle, before she regains her generally medicated persona.

Actually, just a couple episodes ago, she said HANNIE is the most like her. Sad how when the life is beaten out the girl who USED to be most like her, another one springs up in her place, until the life is beaten out of HER. Jana was the original daughter-with-spunk; we see what's happened to her.

Michelle is a moron if she doesn't see this. Even if she does, I guess she now justifies it by saying she was "sinning and defrauding," blah blah blah. Don't forget, Michelle, even your programmed, "chosen" kids are atoning for "sins" the majority of the populace consider regular behavior, just so they can repent for SOMETHING (as they judge the rest of us with our scarlet letters of big-time sins).

As if they'd even understand that Hawthorne was writing about the hypocrisy of people like them. *eyeroll*

I thought Jessa was the first of her "spunky" girls. I think any spunk Jana had was beaten out very young so she'd help with the laundry.

In their latest book, Michelle talks about Josie's personality as a premie newborn, so I don't think she really put much thought into the blog post about the 9+ months thing.

Wow. But I'm not surprised. Whenever Michelle describes her kids she gets more and more vague as she goes down the line.

Do y'all remember the 14 Kids and Pregnant Again special? They asked the kids something about how their parents let them develop their individuality or their separate personalities or something like that and one of the (I think it was Josh) had a really dumb answer about how they all have their own personalities and interests because some of them like pickles and some don't and they have different favorite foods and colors. I remember thinking, that's not what personality is!!!

I thought Jessa was the first of her "spunky" girls. I think any spunk Jana had was beaten out very young so she'd help with the laundry.

Several times in the show there have been references to the fact that when Jana was young, she was very much like Johanna - full of energy, etc. Even in the specials/earlier seasons, she might not have the spunky personality, but she's the one sewing clothes in her spare time, volunteering with children outside the house, baking pies, cutting tile, skydiving, etc. They've mentioned that Jana would "try anything" (which made the scene when she was in Asia and wouldn't swim and ride the elephant all the more weird, I always thought it had to do with menstrual issues).

Wow. But I'm not surprised. Whenever Michelle describes her kids she gets more and more vague as she goes down the line.

Do y'all remember the 14 Kids and Pregnant Again special? They asked the kids something about how their parents let them develop their individuality or their separate personalities or something like that and one of the (I think it was Josh) had a really dumb answer about how they all have their own personalities and interests because some of them like pickles and some don't and they have different favorite foods and colors. I remember thinking, that's not what personality is!!!

I remember that...and thinking the same thing. You get to like pickles...wow. :roll:

In their latest book, Michelle talks about Josie's personality as a premie newborn, so I don't think she really put much thought into the blog post about the 9+ months thing.

I'm betting that's because she'd never had to pay so much attention to one of her babies before, and she hasn't ever had such a long period of time without spawning again (aside from the period between Josh and the first twins). She's actually had only one baby to focus on for more than a few months - because even during pregnancy, there's no way you (well, I, at least) could give 100% attention to your soon-to-be older baby, what with the hormones and all of that flying around. As much as I'd love another BabyKay right now, I just couldn't bear to miss these moments with #3 that are flying by so fast right now.

I had to snort when I read the blog post. Seriously, 9 months my ass! My kids had very distinct personalities in utero, esp. in retrospect. At a 12 week ultrasound with BabyKay #2, he was jumping as if he were on an invisible trampoline, and he's been just as feisty and in-your-face ever since then! I could easily describe my kids' personalities, and when I'm asked, my answer always starts with something like "Well, I remember when I was around (so many weeks or months) pregnant...". It's always been so much fun, when they're born, to get to compare the emerging behaviors with what I've seen and felt during the pregnancies!

Oh yeah. I'm childless (childfree? I mean I don't want any) but my mum said that all of us children manifested a personality from birth practically. My youngest brother was a nervous and tearful baby. Middle brother was placid and peaceful baby. I (eldest) was an angry and stubborn baby.

As we grew up, I am the political activist shouting into a megaphone on demos, middle brother is the devoted family man, youngest brother is very artistically talented and an anxious type. My mum often says we just developed as she imagined. :)

Mine, too. All had very distinct personalities from day one, and it is very easy to spot that retrospectively.

Same here and they still have the samy personalities they had in utero... but I know that because I and my husband were their only "buddies".

If I recall correctly, Jana was their adventurer who would try anything. Jessa was the independent, frustrating one. In the early specials and in the special where she had to "describe" all of the kids, Michelle characterized Jessa as "the one who will set the world on fire" (which earned her a disapproving glance from JB) and "the stubborn one". Apparently Jessa would not obey commands, and basically ignored them. As JB put it "We had to train up a strong willed child..." which I assume means plenty of prayer closet and Pearl-esque discipline. :snooty:

Archived