IGNORED

Michelle Duggar's Blog

acutexenophobia

Does anyone read it?

As the mom of 19 kids I get asked a lot if the kids' personalities began to come out early on, and my answer is always, oh boy, yes! I really think kids become really very expressive as early as nine months, but I think probably around 14 months or so you notice a lot of personality coming out even more. I think when they're tiny, though, you can kind of see their personalities -- they're just kind of not as out there yet.

Are all of them like this? I just. The whole structure of this paragraph. Wow.

Haha - I read that post the other day and just shook my head. It was supposed to be about the kids' PERSONALITIES. She talked about how some of her toddlers were really busy, and some were early walkers, others werent. NOTHING about their personalities, and NOTHING about older kids. I honestly think she has no clue about their personalities. Or maybe personality is ebil and is to be blanket-trained out of them? It's baffling how she can live with these kids and not even know them.

Seriously? She thinks kids don't have strong personalities until 9 months? Spoken as someone who truly has no knowledge of babies. My son has an incredibly strong personality and he's 8 months old. He's always had a strong personality, even as a newborn. Hell, he was stubborn and obstinate in uetero.

Does anyone read it?

As with the book, her blog reads as if she's speaking. I'm thinking they do these things with voice recognition software and submit them to TLC where some poor intern has to at last find the paragraph breaks and add punctuation based on her voice inflections.

But hey, it's something Michelle spends about five minutes doing every 2 months or thereabouts!

Seriously? She thinks kids don't have strong personalities until 9 months? Spoken as someone who truly has no knowledge of babies. My son has an incredibly strong personality and he's 8 months old. He's always had a strong personality, even as a newborn. Hell, he was stubborn and obstinate in uetero.

Seriously, she's THAT clueless. I've never met a child that didn't have personality at a very young age. Most parents will talk about SOMETHING that relates to personality--a snuggly, cuddly baby, a preference for nursing at a certain time, etc, etc.

How often do you hear parents say things like "Oh they did that since they were a baby" in regards to some trait? I hear it all the time.

Not from our drugged out sounding baby voiced Michelle. Apparently, whatever she's taking get in the breast milk and the kids are zombies too.

Holy freaking cats!!! Nine months!!!! All my kiddo's had personality the day they were born. Even in utero, they were all different. I guess, Michelle, If you pawn your kids of to, well, your kids, then you don't learn about them at all, do you? How low can you get?

Does anyone read it?

Yes, there is no way I could read a book written like this. Gives me a headache.

If she's talking about the kids being early walkers and stuff, then maybe she just doesn't really know what personality means. I've always thought it would be hard to describe a toddler's personality, but I don't have kids. I'm trying to remember back to when my little brother was a toddler, but I think it was too long ago and I was too young to notice.

I don't have any kids of my own. But I have two nieces and a nephew. There personalities became pretty clear within a couple of months. My oldest niece has always been cuddly, happy and from a very young age has had a great sense of humor. She's 14 now and she still has all of these traits, they've just expanded and grown with her. It bothers me that Michelle allows people to praise her as such a good mother when really, clearly, she doesn't even know her children that well.

o_O Okay, I could tell my twins' personalities from each other by about... 36 hours old. Once I was able to start fighting the drugs and the pain from being sliced and diced. Children have personalities, period! Maybe not as developed at 36 hours as 36 months, but they most certainly have one, and if you're perceptive or caring in any way, shape or form, you notice it!

She clearly doesn't have a clue who her children are.

Wow. My kids had distinct (very different) personalities from the day they were born. She really doesn't know her kids at all, does she?

I have identical twin nieces that are 14 months old... they both recognize me but one of them lights up and giggles when she sees me and the other gives me serious stink eye. Since about 2 months old we could tell that one is light & bubbly and the other is very serious..... The serious one also does a fabulous "smush mouth" - kinda like fish lips but with a scrunched up nose too!!!!

I could give you a blow by blow of these girls every move and personality trait since the day they were born and they aren't even mine... I usually see them once or twice a week.

Michelle can tell you all about her pregnancy, her morning sickness, her labor, and breastfeeding for each child.... but absolutely nothing distinctive about them since they turned about 6 months old. This is a tragedy to me, as I am someone who is a 'people watcher' and I delight in people's strange and beautiful differences.

On one episode they were discussing how Joesph was about to get braces. I think they interviewed Jessa or Jinger about it. Whatever J'slave it was mentioned that she Joesph were talking about what colour elastics he should get and he decided on orange because it was his favourite color. Cut to Michelle being interviewed, "Oh. His favourite colour is orange? I really wasn't sure. You know, kids change their minds so quickly on these things." (She might not have said exactly that but it was very close). I realize he's a teenager and favourite colours aren't so big of a deal, but it shows how clueless she is about her children's likes and dislikes, hobbies (if they are allowed to have any), interests etc.

I've got a nephew and kids of friends (friend-nephews and -nieces? We need a word for this), and yeah. They were born, they were distinct human beings. Jiminey cricket.

I'm reading their Love that Multiplies book (aka Sister Wives tagline ripoff). They had a pro writer revise it for them, but so far its SOOO boring. Its like the writer watched the season leading up to Josie and the season about her and wrote it in folksy language pretending to be Boob or Michelle. It's like I'VE ALREADY WATCHED THE SHOW, don't rehash the same events in the book without adding a damn thing.

Michelle has said her role is a parent not a friend. She is there to guide the all the kids on the same path. I dont think she knows how to see there is a middle ground between being BFF's with her kids and a caregiver of thier basic needs for six months and a mother with words of wisdom during the scheduled weekly talks and birthdays visits with each kid. I think she sees the baby phase up to 6 months , as taking care of the "needs, like feeding, changing, more like a caregivier then bonding. I bet it is like clockwork with the babies. The only difference she would see is early teeth, later walker because bonding would mean becoming too close. How could she then let the baby cry it out if the baby had a personality?

That is a worry I have for Josie because Michelle seems so fixated on how much she weighs. Like if Josie keeps gaining weight she will be fine, because that is one of the only ways, the major milestones, certain weights, walking talking etc that Michelle has even known or sees as important.

My daughter got me a mommy and me book from american girl for mothers day. It has quizes and games to see how well you and your daughter know each other. I would love to see Michelle answer the questions. I wonder if she would even know something as simple as the favorite ice cream flavor. I seriously doubt see would know what her last daughter nightmare or dream was. Ask Jana see could probably answer!

Anybody else want to see this video of Josie pushing Jordyn around in a baby stroller? Just curious.

And isnt Jordyn a bit BIG to be able to fit in a baby doll stroller?

Was it "Kid Farm" that mentioned Jim-Bob/Michelle talk about their kids' individual personalities with the depth of a fortune cookie fortune? So true. It's always something stupid like "He's a leader..." "she's our little ball of fire" "she's our talker" etc. I DID think it was funny on one show when Michelle said Joy Anna was most like she was as a girl [before she morphed into a boy-chasing pieces-of-her-heat-squandering-cheerleader].

I don't have kids but I am the aunt to many and all of my nieces and nephews started showing their personalities right from the get go. It makes me sad that Michelle is so busy gestating that she does not have the time to get to know her children better. What's the point of having children if you can't spend time getting to know them and to enjoy them?

Does anyone read it?

In one of her interviews in a recent episode (I think it was the First Grandson special) she made some comment that seriously sounded like that infamous Palin quotation from the Katie Couric interview, where she just put words together that meant things by themselves but made no sense together. I wish I could remember it now, but I know that I rewound and watched it again to try to make sense of it. For someone who makes a living out of public appearances, she gets seriously stumped by candid questions.

I'm reading their Love that Multiplies book (aka Sister Wives tagline ripoff). They had a pro writer revise it for them, but so far its SOOO boring. Its like the writer watched the season leading up to Josie and the season about her and wrote it in folksy language pretending to be Boob or Michelle. It's like I'VE ALREADY WATCHED THE SHOW, don't rehash the same events in the book without adding a damn thing.

I wondered if that's how the new book would be. I know the first one was really just stories of their early life in the guise of parenting advice.

Holy freaking cats!!! Nine months!!!! All my kiddo's had personality the day they were born. Even in utero, they were all different. I guess, Michelle, If you pawn your kids of to, well, your kids, then you don't learn about them at all, do you? How low can you get?

Mine, too. All had very distinct personalities from day one, and it is very easy to spot that retrospectively.

Was it "Kid Farm" that mentioned Jim-Bob/Michelle talk about their kids' individual personalities with the depth of a fortune cookie fortune? So true. It's always something stupid like "He's a leader..." "she's our little ball of fire" "she's our talker" etc. I DID think it was funny on one show when Michelle said Joy Anna was most like she was as a girl [before she morphed into a boy-chasing pieces-of-her-heat-squandering-cheerleader].

I remember that! It annoyed me because Michelle was talking about how when she was young, she would stand up to the boys in her neighborhood. "I would get in fights with them, because I could play wherever I wanted! I could ride my bike just like them! I could have a fort if I wanted to!" (or something to that effect). Of course, she grew up and totally threw her independence away. Oh, and robbed her children of the opportunity to assert themselves in any way, even the childhood ways she's talking about. Grr.

It's weird to think of Michelle having a strong personality. I bet it all comes back when she's angry; she just hides it for the cameras.

It's weird to think of Michelle having a strong personality. I bet it all comes back when she's angry; she just hides it for the cameras.

I saw her get angry in one episode (I don't watch the show a lot, so I can't remember which one). Michelle GLARED at one of the daughters when they said something kind of "smart" to her and Jim Bob. But, Michelle quickly put herself in check and went back to her cult-member smile when she realized the camera was on her. So, I think she has a temper, but you'll never see it on TV.

I saw her get angry in one episode (I don't watch the show a lot, so I can't remember which one). Michelle GLARED at one of the daughters when they said something kind of "smart" to her and Jim Bob. But, Michelle quickly put herself in check and went back to her cult-member smile when she realized the camera was on her. So, I think she has a temper, but you'll never see it on TV.

Do you still remember what the episode was about? Cos now I wanna see this clip of her get angry.

Whenever Michelle talks about her childhood, it makes me wonder what happened to that strong woman. Now, she just submits to JB and blames her bikini wearing lawn mowing days on her neighbor's divorce and cries over a gas station selling beer near their home.

Archived