IGNORED

Favorite Hymns/Religious Songs

Guest Member456

I love many already mentioned, Handel, classical sacred and especially chorale music,negro gospel.

Be Tho

Be Thou My Vision and Coventry Carol are also faves.

ETA Just after i poste, I turned to PBS

and the Rooke Chapel Choir and Ringers performing mmany of the pieces menTIONED in this thread,

I should have remembered John Rutter as another favorite.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're talking about traditional hymns, I really like Great is Thy Faithfulness, Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee and this version of I'll Fly Away: Nf6OP5EVgnI

When it comes to more contemporary worship music, I'm gonna have to go with Hillsong United. Solution and Hosanna are 2 of my favorites.

9tuC4tTRhiQ

we4t0fAnGBA

(Apologies if I didn't embed correctly!)

I like a mix of hymns, contemporary, and Southern Gospel. My favorites are Be Thou My Vision, In Christ Alone, It Is Well With My Soul, Come Thy Fount of Every Blessing, Victory In Jesus, Power In The Blood, On the Authority (Gaither Vocal Band), Why Me Lord (GVB/Guy Penrod), What A Day That Will Be, The Anchor Holds (Ray Boltz), When We All Get To Heaven, & Blessed Assurance.

This is "In Christ Alone" - I am so in love with this song right now:

ENtL_li4GbE

Sorry to be answering old posts- my account got messed up and I was unable to post so now I have all these weeks of posting built up. . .

Current favorite song is:

"Blessings" by Laura Story. I guess it goes along with the other post about "What is it like to believe God influences everything?"

I love several hyms already mentioned- Be Thou My Vision, In Christ Alone, Come Thou Fount, and my deceased grandma's favorite How Great Thou Art.

Also like:

"I Have Been Blessed"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g18FREZd ... re=related (also relates to "What is it like to believe God influences everything?")

"Thank You Lord"-

"When God it Near"-

"Psalm 23"-

apparently a popular high school choir song, but truly beautiful. Another version-
- which out choir sand, though it didn't sound as good as this!

"When I speak His Name"- I love to play the piano on this one!- http://vimeo.com/11329574

Another one I'm hearing a lot is "He Knows My Name"-

. The tune is catchy.

Mmmm, yes, I have a whole list. But I like an eclectic vareity of music so I guess it's not surprising.

Grew up with crappy contemporary Catholic hymns, but I love a lot of the hymns from the Episcopal hymnal. "Saint Patrick's Breastplate" "Christ is made the sure foundation" and many others.

I love Be Thou My Vision, Come Thou Fount and A Mighty Fortress.

I love Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel for Christmas songs.

There is so much more that I learned through singing in chorus that I loved, but I don't remember many specific titles. I have always loved religious music and probably always will.

My favorite hymn: There is Sunshine in My Soul Today...

There is sunshine in my soul today,

More glorious and bright

Than glows in any earthly sky,

For Jesus is my light.

I hadn't heard this song before, but I admit having watched/listened to this video waaayyy too many times. I love the little boy in front of the microphone who whistles through the first half.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/jbr38PGrh08

/Prepares to be pelted with rotten fruit and vegetables for posting this.

St Francis Prayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtJeI4Q9nBE&feature=related

Surely the Presence (not my favorite version, but the best I could find)

And a few (veggie tale classics) for xmas, even though it's a few days late (these always make me laugh/smile):

Because I love those french pea guys

Oh Santa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i53pBlE263k

Junior singing terribly off-key, with sheep!

Come thou Fount and Be Thou My Vision are two all time favorites. I also love Come Thou Long Expected Jesus, What Child Is This, and a song called The Friendly beasts that I sang for a Christmas Eve service with my mother when I was about 8. I really like Jennifer Knapp's songwriting, too, especially Martyrs and Thieves.

And this. Brooke Fraser is excellent.

I like a lot of hymns--I must say I miss them and I amnot a fan of most modern 'chorus' music in churches (it's...to fluffy. No substance--I think lyrics are important. NOt that there aren't a lot of crummy hymn lyrics but when the song is "I will sing of his love forever" repeated 47 times, I just twitch and my ADHD goes into overdrive and I start taking apart my slinky tangle because even that wont' work)

That said, This is one of my faves, and I'm 'meh' about this versioN:byIpfEVxhs4

it's the song that puts my kid to sleep because at 2 am I can always remember the words and it's a simple enough melody that I can more or less keep it in key.

Be Thou My Vision

Love Divine, All Loves Excelling

Shall We Gather at the River

On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand (I Am Bound for the Promised Land)

I want these at my funeral, along with Nirvana's All Apologies.

I love music and I have a lot of fondness for (some of) the hymns and spiritual songs that I heard and sang while growing up. For instance, a good version of "Down in the River to Pray" never fails to give me chills.

This is one of my favorites:

RHooDk_Nupw

On the other hand, if I never hear "Trust and Obey" again, that's fine with me.

Do other FJers have favorites? I'm curious to know what music sticks with people and what makes them recoil.

In the Sweet By and By, only because when I was sick, my granma would sing it to me. (She couldn't sing worth a damn but...) I always associate that song with her.

And if I never hear "Onward CHristian Soldiers" again, it will still be too son!

I've really liked the shape note hymn singing that I've heard, and almost anything gospel is usually awesome. As a kid, I used to love "Onward Christian Soldiers," but as an adult, I don't much care for the message, though the tune is stirring.

In the non-Christian vein, I love a good niggun, and Adon Olam is one of my all-time favorite parts of the service. Hallel has some really great melodies, too. I am adamantly opposed to musical instruments at Shabbat services, though; they totally take me out of the moment.

I've really liked the shape note hymn singing that I've heard, and almost anything gospel is usually awesome. As a kid, I used to love "Onward Christian Soldiers," but as an adult, I don't much care for the message, though the tune is stirring.

In the non-Christian vein, I love a good niggun, and Adon Olam is one of my all-time favorite parts of the service. Hallel has some really great melodies, too. I am adamantly opposed to musical instruments at Shabbat services, though; they totally take me out of the moment.

My current favorite Jewish song is the Debbie Friedman Oseh Shalom. Its like sung in a round. :D

My current favorite Jewish song is the Debbie Friedman Oseh Shalom. Its like sung in a round. :D

This is for you, ilovetchotchkes:

scbPrzCicLk

Even a peace and justice infidel like me can sing "We Are a Gentle, Angry People" by Holly Near. And yes, it's a hymn written, IIRC, for the Metropolitan Community Church.

kEHcy08hf5E

My favourite as a choirgirl back in the day was one which strangely I can't remember the name of:

"God is Love, his the care

Tending each, everywhere

God is Love, all is there

Jesus came to show Him

That the world might know Him

Sing aloud, loud, loud

Sing aloud, loud, loud

God is Truth, God is Love, God is Beauty

Praise Him"

I'm not a Baptist or Evangelical (am an Evangelical Lutheran, but we're different. Quieter. Fine with the whole gay thing. I digress.) But I do sing in a local Gospel choir, led by one of the Uni profs. It's amazing, and such fun. Difficult, held to high standards and lots of music learned in a very short time. But super fun. He is also the music director at one of the Baptist churches on Capitol Hill.

My favorites are old fashioned hymns, I guess: Abide with Me and Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.

I was in choir at my protestant private school, and we say these two every single year. The line in "Come Thou Fount" that goes "Here I raise my Ebenezer..." always made me wonder what the heck I was singing.

My favorite was "All Creatures of Our God and King."

ETA: Riffle fix

Archived