IGNORED

Tasteless humor

Witsec7

One of the things that automatically attracted me to FJ, beyond the snark, was the totally impromptu tasteless humor that is evidenced at times. Its almost like Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland saying 'lets put on a show' and breaking out in song and dance.

Whats your origins of tasteless humor? Mad Magazine? Too much Kids in the Hall? Drugs?

What makes good tasteless humor ?

I picked up my love of tastless humor the old-fashioned way, from my tasteless relatives. I believe tasteless humor should begin in the home.

Edited: because I really do know how to spell, I swear.

Kids in the Hall

I love Kids in the Hall!

Add Monty Python, Ren & Stimpy, etc.

As an adult, it has been further enhanced by Family Guy and Robot Chicken and various comedy acts.

Also, tasteless humour is central to being the heathen that I am. You cannot have one without the other (hmm, maybe Married With Children had an influence as well since I can never say that line without singing the theme song?).

1970's: Mad Magazine, Monty Python, Richard Pryor, Frank Zappa, Cheech & Chong, etc. Then I got to junior high. :mrgreen:

True story: c. 1973, my 4th grade teacher allowed me to play a Cheech & Chong record (remember those?) in class. I could quote The Holy Grail verbatim when I was 12 (and did myself proud when it was on a movie channel last night).

Yes, I'm one unapologetically sick, potty-mouthed, mofo. :dance:

I would like to blame it on the men in my life, and they do certainly contribute. like forcing me to watch things on youtube like ghetto deer (NSFW) - don't stone me but I laughed my ass off. Against my better judgment and normal sensibilities, I might add. Don't hate me.

But the truth is that I've always been irreverent, even growing up. Lots of people (trust me - lots and lots) tried to pray this horrid flaw in my character away, but like some people with teh gay, it must be here to stay. :D

A mix of parents who enjoy tasteless humour (and had me watching things like Cheech and Chong when I was little, seriously I remember watching The Corsican Brothers when I was, like, 6 or something), TV, and friends who were easily corrupted and found good times in tasteless humour with me.

A mix of parents who enjoy tasteless humour (and had me watching things like Cheech and Chong when I was little, seriously I remember watching The Corsican Brothers when I was, like, 6 or something), TV, and friends who were easily corrupted and found good times in tasteless humour with me.

Earache my eye, how would like a buttache!!!!1111

And for shits and giggles, one of the best songs EVAH!

It's even better if you know all the references. This is about as politically incorrect as it gets.

Guest Anonymous

1960s-1970s:

Lenny Bruce, MAD Magazine, National Lampoon, Richard Pryor, Monty Python, Cheech & Chong, my raucous mother, aunt and sister. Plus my own innate snarkiness.

Those were golden years for tastelessness.

1960s-1970s:

Lenny Bruce, MAD Magazine, National Lampoon, Richard Pryor, Monty Python, Cheech & Chong, ...

I would add St. Mel Brooks to that list

I fought with my family about the Simpsons. DD and Father wanted it, I was adamantly against it :roll: And like a child being coaxed to eat a new food, I agreed to watch it just once.

Oooohhhhhh, St. Mel Brooks! I am sure I'm not the only one who adored Queen Nympho? Add in Monty Python and a stint as a performer at the Texas Renaissance Festival and snarkiness sprang from my skull like Athena breaking out of Zeus's cranium.

My college aged sister introduced 8 year old me to Monty Python when Mom wasn't home. The one that is twice as old as me, was dating a dj, who gave her lots of promo records. He gave her Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies, Muscle of Love, and Greatest Hits. I was around 10. She was more a folkie, so I got those records, and wore them out.

One of my sisters, who was taking Biology at the time, brought home her fetal pig's nose, and when my Dutchy father once again sat there while the four women in the house cleared and served between dinner and desert, she took the

pigs nose, put it on a pillow, and knelt at his chair, presenting it to him. This was when Women's Lib was a hot new issue. My parents each being one generation out of Mennonite, well, the world of the 70s was a bit too much for them.

So yeah, it's all my sister's fault :D

Guest Anonymous
Oooohhhhhh, St. Mel Brooks! I am sure I'm not the only one who adored Queen Nympho? Add in Monty Python and a stint as a performer at the Texas Renaissance Festival and snarkiness sprang from my skull like Athena breaking out of Zeus's cranium.

My personal favorite was Lili Von Schtup

I blame my parents. They thought God & the Bible was B.S. But thought it was much more important for my philosophical and would raise my political awareness to watch George Carlin & Richard Pryor. Seriously.

My parents didn't believe in any censorship. So I watched Cheech & Chong, knew who Andy Kaufman was, watched SNL at 5 years old, watched Monty Python (Flying Circus as well as the movies), Mel Brooks, National Lampoon and a ton of other stuff.

And my family has a sick sense of humor. Examples listed below:

1. My cousin forged her mother's signature on her report card. When the teacher realized it and confronted my cousin, she broke down and said that she only did it because she was afraid of her mother beating her. The teacher, in great worry over my cousin's fate, called my aunt in to the school to talk about it with the teacher, the principal, guidance counselor, etc. When told that my cousin had indicated that my aunt beat her, my aunt said, "I haven't before but it does sound like a good idea now that you mention it."

2. When my parents bought their first house in CA in the 1970's a man called one day looking for "Bob." My father, being a smart ass, replied that Bob had stepped out but would be back later. Many phone called for Bob ensued over the next week, my father always apologetic that Bob had just stepped out, was in the shower, on his way back home, etc. Finally, my mother's conscience got the better of her and she insisted my father admit that it was a big joke and that the man had the wrong number. The man proceeded to accuse my father of trying to actively keep Bob away from him because he couldn't believe someone would be that cruel and downright weird. My parents had to change their number because the Bob-lover started threatening him. True story.

3. My brother had a horrible, traumatic car accident at 22, resulting in the near amputation of his leg. While being treated the doctors put large antibiotic-soaked sponges into his gaping wounds. My brother's name is Robert. Hence, we began calling him SpongeBob. SpongeBob has significant nerve damage, a pronounced limp and motor control issues. We handle his disabilities by calling him, affectionately, gimp, limpy, and HandiMan. There's a lot of love in our family.

4. My beloved grandmother ended up with Alzheimer's. She had been the most proper, Emily Post type of lady ever to live in the great state of Oklahoma. She once covered up the word Damn on the book titled How to Fix Damn Near Anything because people might think less of her for having such a book in her house. When she lived with us while losing her mind we grandchildren took great pleasure in whispering curse words in her ear for her to repeat. Hearing my darling, prim grandmother say "motherfucker" was the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life. (for those who want to judge me, forget it. If you don't learn to laugh with Alzheimer's you end up crying until you can't breathe all the live long day)

How the FUCK did I forget George Carlin? Of course, you can say almost all of those words on TV these days.

I also blame Hunter S. Thompson. :dance:

Tasteless??? Silly me, I thought it was irreverent, sharp and cutting. Ah well, tomato, tomahto, I suppose.

As for how I developed mine, well, I have my family to thank. I was raised on Monty Python, Mad Magazine, Mel Brooks, and the like. I saw "High Anxiety" at age 12. I knew George Carlin's 7 dirty words before I knew how to swear, and woe betide any boy in my teens who spoke like the Hippy Dippy Cowboy. Funny thing though, we also knew how to decant wine, set a proper table, and how to order in restaurants at a young age too. (Where the conversation would typically turn towards one of the above mentioned giants.)

Archived