IGNORED

Duggar Babies-toddlers having a pacifier + Gothard

fakepigtails73

I remember when my kids were small, having deep and heartfelt discussions with other mommies about the virtues of pacifiers, paper versus cloth diapers, parenting styles, etc.

Looking at it from the longitudinal perspective, it all seems so much less critical. I offered my son a pacifier and he had very little interest except maybe when he was not feeling well. My twin daighters were born sucking their thumbs. The pacifier was a complete enigma to them. Thumb tasted better, did not get lost and fit perfectly. End. of. issue.

They were demand fed, within some limits. I nursed, but they would take a bottle from someone else, just not me. This worked out fine. I prefered to nurse and they were happy that I did. They all had their own space, but there were many times that co-sleeping worked out better. When the twins were very very small and needed nearly hourly feedings, it was not practical to take them to their cribs. My son sometimes needed comfort and he was allowed to snuggle in. Most of the time he preferred his own space.

Babies are humans and humans are all wired a little bit differently. Young moms need to be a little more confident that she and her baby can figure out the best path together.

I dunno, my mom keeps pacifiers in the bed (around maybe 6 months old on) so that they're not going everywhere with them, and can talk more readily. I never saw any problem from that habit, and usually makes the kids very happy to go to bed. (of course if something happens, like they miss their parents or they fell she brings it out until they feel better) I think it's a sound policy IMO and would explain why you don't see those kids as much with pacifiers.

Both of my kids had a pappy. DD breastfeed until she decided to stop around 8 months. DS never picked up breastfeeding, but it wasn't due to pappy.

They were both late to give it up, but they are both okay now. The dentist just asked my son to give it up when he was 4 - and he did.

DD is 5 recently gave it up because she wants to enter a pagaent. I told her that I won't do that unless she gives up the pappy. It took her about 2 weeks, but she decided to give it up.

I am pretty mellow about pappy. You don't see high school kids with a pappy. I figured they would each give it up when they felt it was right.

Babies are humans and humans are all wired a little bit differently. Young moms need to be a little more confident that she and her baby can figure out the best path together.

High five to FlorenceHamilton for this post! Nuff sed.

Both of my kids had a pappy. DD breastfeed until she decided to stop around 8 months. DS never picked up breastfeeding, but it wasn't due to pappy.

They were both late to give it up, but they are both okay now. The dentist just asked my son to give it up when he was 4 - and he did.

DD is 5 recently gave it up because she wants to enter a pagaent. I told her that I won't do that unless she gives up the pappy. It took her about 2 weeks, but she decided to give it up.

I am pretty mellow about pappy. You don't see high school kids with a pappy. I figured they would each give it up when they felt it was right.

I think if you give the kind that's like kind of flat it's better... My teeth are out of allignment because of having the pacifier until I was 6. It was not hard to stop, my mom just never asked me to stop. and you can't really do anything for the out of allignment I had braces for a couple years, but it only could do so much... But in any case you should already be able to spot the misalignment if there is to be one.

I'm fighting with our daycare right now because they don't think that my FS who has PTSD should have a pacifier with him. His therapist said that he should have it available at all times and I know that they were taking it from him during the day, so I have it on a pacifier string attached to his clothes now. For some reason, they feel that he shouldn't NEED it anymore since he is 15 months because they know more then a therapist that specializes in children under the age of 3 (do you know how hard it is to find a therapist for an infant?).

The therapist did say if he is using it at 2 that we will work on helping him find another self-soothing technique then.

GiGi 41 -- I totally emphasize with you regarding the conflicting advice. I work in a field where we work with lots of kids involved in CPS .. and the foster parents and parents will often be given many different sets of instructions and suggestions by the variety of professionals they are working with based on their particular specialty - the therapist has one view, the parent's therapist another, probation something else again that conflicts with the treatment center and on and on. It's like the regular parenting opinions on steroids.

Just watched an episode from when it was "18 kids..." (the one when JB eats tomatoes straight from a can, does head presses with 10 pds barbells near a kid's head and the whole thing begins with a very fussy Wer-Wer sleeping in a "park and play" for which she is way too big), and yup, Jennifer has a pacifier at some point.

My kids never took pacifiers (believe me, I tried), but family lore is that I took one and absolutely loved it but then I threw it out the car window as we sped down the road when I was about 2 1/2 and momma said, "Well, now it's gone. . .", which appeared to make perfect sense to me, as I never asked for it again. :D

Totally off-topic but whenever I hear about pacifiers these days, I always think of Mackynzie from Toddlers and Tiaras.

I want my NiNi!!!

p3wXyyE4_m0

That is what I thought of too, ROFL! :lol: My husband was convinced my son would have a pacifier, while no one in my family ever believed in using them. By the second week of having a very gassy baby, I was pro paci just so I could get some sleep. He only used his until about the 1 month mark tho, then he just kept spitting it out.

He said that there, they often let their children keep their pacifiers until they're 3, then they give them up to the Easter Bunny for candy. I have no idea how accurate that is for Switzerland as a whole, but that's what we're doing with our kids.

No Swiss origin that I knew of, but my best friend did this with her oldest daughter, and it worked really well, no dramas.

My daughter was very anti-pacifier, preferring to use my breast instead (which was not so much fun on the four-hour long plane ride, but it worked) - she would use one at daycare because I wasn't an option. It was hysterical though - one day I came early to pick her up and she had the pacifier in, then saw me and spit it out.

My son had surgery last year when he was 2 and we brought his pacifier for when he was in recovery. One of the doctors in the room with us was from Switzerland. He said that there, they often let their children keep their pacifiers until they're 3, then they give them up to the Easter Bunny for candy. I have no idea how accurate that is for Switzerland as a whole, but that's what we're doing with our kids. They only get them for bedtime anyway.

What's up with the mommy board stuff lately? Breastfeeding, inducing labor, now pacifiers? God help us if circumcisions come up again...

A co-worker of mine had the paci-fairy come at age 2 and take the pacifiers to give to the new babies in other families.

Lord the Duggars had tons for Jennifer....

I guess I forgot about it when I made the thread...Not that I pay attention to that, but I don't remeber Josie, Jordyn and Mack with one. Now that I saw Jennifer with one in the earlier ep. I watched today I guess they all had one at some point.

Pay no mind! :oops:

Archived