IGNORED

Duggar Babies-toddlers having a pacifier + Gothard

fakepigtails73

I might have too much time on my hands but here's something I noticed: I never saw any of the Duggar babies (Jennifer in the earlier series, Jordyn, Josie, Mackynzie and Michael) with a pacifier...

Never!

Is there a "no pacifier for the little ones" rule in Gothard-ism or something? Now that I think about it I've never seen the latest Bates baby (Judson?) with one in his mouth either ...

I know that pediatricians rule that it's better for the toddler to get rid of the pacifier at 2 y. old, but to never have one as a baby seems odd. :think:

Maybe they did have some but I never saw it? I thought about it earlier today while in the subway, yup, that's what happens when I have nothing to read with me I think of the fundies lol!

Josie had one many times when she was in the hospital and first home and I remember Jennifer taking one too.

Since Michelle has trouble nursing, perhaps she avoids pacifiers to encourage them to nurse more???

Oh, so maybe it's me that didn't remember seeing it.

I always remember Josie doing that cute baby babling of hers though.

Thanks!

i've seen pacifiers a couple of times, but definitely not as often as i would say is "normal". it wouldn't surprise me at all if gothard discouraged them because of he thinks they'll get confused and stop nursing or something like that.

Some kids just don't like them as much as other kids, so I always assumed that kids in that family just don't really care about them. I can't imagine allowing the youngest one or two having a pacifier but forbidding the next few up from having one because they would just fight constantly, so I always figured they just don't really want them. It makes sense to me that the preference could run in families.

My kids didn't have pacifiers. I tried to give them some but they didn't want them. They preferred sucking on their middle and ring fingers. They stopped doing that when their first teeth came in.

I had one as a kid, but only when I was a baby and very ill in the hospital. Otherwise, I don't remember my younger brother having one. None of my sisters' kids have used them, either, but my cousins and hubby's sister use them. I personally don't like them. I don't know why, I just don't.

lol i was a pacifier whore! one in my mouth and one for each hand...and god help you if i didn't have any! at least, that's what my mum tells me...

My niece only used a pacifier when she was just a baby, but she only used them a short time as she refused them shortly before her teeth came in. I don't remember if my brother refused them, but I did notice in my SIL's baby pictures that she didn't always have a pacifier, so maybe my niece got that dislike from her mom.

My son had surgery last year when he was 2 and we brought his pacifier for when he was in recovery. One of the doctors in the room with us was from Switzerland. He said that there, they often let their children keep their pacifiers until they're 3, then they give them up to the Easter Bunny for candy. I have no idea how accurate that is for Switzerland as a whole, but that's what we're doing with our kids. They only get them for bedtime anyway.

What's up with the mommy board stuff lately? Breastfeeding, inducing labor, now pacifiers? God help us if circumcisions come up again...

My son had surgery last year when he was 2 and we brought his pacifier for when he was in recovery. One of the doctors in the room with us was from Switzerland. He said that there, they often let their children keep their pacifiers until they're 3, then they give them up to the Easter Bunny for candy. I have no idea how accurate that is for Switzerland as a whole, but that's what we're doing with our kids. They only get them for bedtime anyway.

What's up with the mommy board stuff lately? Breastfeeding, inducing labor, now pacifiers? God help us if circumcisions come up again...

Really, I would rather talk about the impending Maxwell baby births. That's exciting baby talk. :clap:

Oh man, removing my pacifier was a horrible chore for my parents! I finally gave it up right before going to pre-K, at 4 yrs-old. Yup, that old!

I have issues. :lol

Well, I don't have kids and don't want any, and I'm curious as to the "forbidden" mommy stuff going around the ATI circles.

That's all.

Well, I don't have kids and don't want any, and I'm curious as to the "forbidden" mommy stuff going around the ATI circles.

That's all.

Oh, I wasn't really talking about bringing the subject up, I was more talking about "Well, I did it this way" and "This is how it should be done" and the various ways that these discussions always seem to turn into a "Who's the better mommy" competition. I would hate to see that overtake FJ.

Don't worry on my part, lol! I'm not a Mom so...

Oh, and I didn't take yr post in a bad way so don't worry StarrryEyes Kat.

I know in one episode where they were packing to go somewhere, I think Big Sandy, Jessa pulled out a bag of pacifiers and said they were Jennifer because she was being a cry baby (her words).

I don't know why a childless bachelor like Gothard would have an opinion on pacifiers, but being completely inexperienced and unqualified in an area has never stopped him from having an opinion before.

I'd be surprised if Josie didn't have one and wasn't pretty attached to it being in NICU for that long. My son was in NICU and those nurses loved the binkies. I, personally, was not a fan and hadn't intended to use one, but after his time in NICU, my plans were changed because he was all about his binky when he got out of the hospital.

He gave it up (with some forcing) around 3 or maybe 3.5. I started buying ones I knew he didn't prefer, but that didn't really break him of them. He just sucked it up and used them grudgingly. Eventually, he started biting them and making them unsafe so I'd have to throw them away. I told him when the last one was bitten through that was it, no more binky.

Once he could talk, if he lost it, he would walk around the house calling in the saddest voice ever: "binky...biiiiinnnnnkkkkkyyyyyy....binky" like he was calling a lost dog. I always kept spares on hand (after losing his initial one about 2.5 seconds after being discharged from the hospital) so I would just give him a spare if he couldn't find it. The lost ones always turned up though. He must have had 50 of those things by the time he was weaned off them.

If Gothard is against pacifiers, IMO, it's more likely to be because dummies are seen as self-indulgent and not because they can interfere with breastfeeding if introduced too early.

Josie almost certainly got a pacifier in the NICU. The pacifiers not only help to calm the premies, but help with their sucking skills when they are not quite ready for oral feeds. (Premies need to be able to coordinate suck-swallow-breathe before they can go to breast or bottle.) IIRC, a pacifier can also help stabilize their oxygen saturation.

Totally off-topic but whenever I hear about pacifiers these days, I always think of Mackynzie from Toddlers and Tiaras.

I want my NiNi!!!

p3wXyyE4_m0

despite the fact that she's a little old, imo, for a pacifier, if a child has a pacifier she should not be doing beauty pageants. period. again, just my opinion.

Totally off-topic but whenever I hear about pacifiers these days, I always think of Mackynzie from Toddlers and Tiaras.

I want my NiNi!!!

p3wXyyE4_m0

Ugh, I can't watch that show, those children and their parents make me stabby every single time I see a clip of them. On the plus side, I feel much better about my mothering skills now!

My 5 sons took pacifers and while we did have some weaning problems nobody was hurt in the weaning process.

My oldest was born having poor sucking skills and had to have the pacifer to work the muscles and get his act together. We were out at a store shortly after his birth and an older woman came over and popped his pacifer out of his mouth saying he didn't need it. I read her the riot act of why he did need it and told her that if she ever touched my baby again she would be missing a hand.

The next 4 were preemies and looked it so we never had the above problem in public and also we were well practiced of keeping wandering hands away from the babies. Anyway my youngest refused a pacifer until he was about 4 months and then fell in love with it. It thrilled me as I was having to be the pacifer and I was getting sore. Over all all my babies prefered using me as a pacifer but that isn't always able to happen and sometimes it just plain hurts.

Thank God my baby days are behind me and I can look forward to grandbabies. The oly thing I will have to worry about is following my daughter in laws instructions on what she and my son want for their child/ren. Much easier. ;)

I'd be surprised if Josie didn't have one and wasn't pretty attached to it being in NICU for that long. My son was in NICU and those nurses loved the binkies. I, personally, was not a fan and hadn't intended to use one, but after his time in NICU, my plans were changed because he was all about his binky when he got out of the hospital.

He gave it up (with some forcing) around 3 or maybe 3.5. I started buying ones I knew he didn't prefer, but that didn't really break him of them. He just sucked it up and used them grudgingly. Eventually, he started biting them and making them unsafe so I'd have to throw them away. I told him when the last one was bitten through that was it, no more binky.

Once he could talk, if he lost it, he would walk around the house calling in the saddest voice ever: "binky...biiiiinnnnnkkkkkyyyyyy....binky" like he was calling a lost dog. I always kept spares on hand (after losing his initial one about 2.5 seconds after being discharged from the hospital) so I would just give him a spare if he couldn't find it. The lost ones always turned up though. He must have had 50 of those things by the time he was weaned off them.

Curious, that is pretty funny story about your son.I can just see him grudgingly taking the second rate binky and calling for it in his sad voice. :lol: Its funny now, I am sure at the time it wasn;t.

Archived