IGNORED

Dougie Leads 30 "Intrepid" Men through the Amazon

watchdog

undermuchgrace:

Emmiedahl,

I used to have a larger than life print of this, and I had to take it down off my wall. The frame now holds a seascape of Ireland. The neckline is high in the original, and what looks like a neckline is one of those heavy and rough metal neck pieces that always reminds me of the one worn by the president of the Sisters of Mercy College during graduation ceremonies with the crest of the school and other symbols of learning on each square piece which was connected by large rings to the next square. It is the same type of metal that adorns Guinevere's waist in the painting.

(At least, I'm told that this Leighton painting depicts a scene from Le Morte d'Arthur, one of the many paintings that Leighton and other pre-raphaelites did of old legends and myths.) The VF Set definitely loves their pre-raphaelites.

Marchpane:

I wondered if it was Guinevere and Lancelot and it seems that it is. So, even better! Married queen knighting future lover transformed into sweet maiden and her knight. Crazy stuff. I agree that true creativity is liable to be squashed in most fundie families. I suppose music is acceptable, as long as you are playing someone else's compositions and are part of a supervised family group. Painting is a solitary occupation, which probably makes it more suspect for a start.

AthenaC:

One might argue that it's a more accurate portrayal of what went down between G&L than the original. :P

The Botkins make themselves out to be a "creative" family, what with filmmaking and composing and all, but creativity in the broader sense seems to demand moral subtlety and the acceptance of multiple truth values. For example, "Harry Potter" would be boring if Harry, Ron, and Hermione were always good, brave, and wise (not to mention Dumbledore, Snape, and James!), "Lord of the Rings" would be boring if Frodo didn't have doubts and moral failings, and "LOST" would be boring if everyone on the island was either all good or all bad.

A "creative" product that demands that a protagonist be all good, have a consistently strong character, or not undergo any sort of internal conflict just isn't going to be interesting.

Kara:

How about the Berkshire sisters though? Emily Rose and Breezy seem to be pretty creative, artwork included, even if it is used almost exclusively for Fundie purposes?

As for the Victoriana... this is something that has bothered me for ages: the odd desire to replicate bourgeois Victorian values. So strange. It's all 'invention of tradition' stuff in any case.

SnarkyJan:

Given their fascination with Pre-Raphaelite art, it is obvious that none of them have read biographies of the principal movers in the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood (Rossetti, Hunt, Ruskin, Millais). It would be worth sending them copies of such, just to see their heads explode.

Marchpane:

LOL-1.gif Yes, that would indeed be an education. And not the sort that they have encountered at the dining-room table.

theemeraldskull:

You know what seems even more hilarious, is both the title and description of that CD set with the... interesting... cover. LOL

christianaudio.com/sleeping-beauty-and-the-five-questions-douglas-w-phillips

Firstly, "Sleeping Beauty And The Five Questions"

I'm pretty sure one of them has to do with the piece of manflesh she happens to be fondling on the cover...

Doug Phillips challenges fathers on the importance of guarding their daughters' hearts at all costs, how to shield them from the pressures of a peer-oriented society and inappropriate romantic relationships, and how to prepare them as a bride — a godly young woman of purity for the young man of their dreams whom God is preparing.

Inappropriate relationships like his version of a father/daughter? Or maybe the cover is supposed to represent what NOT to do on your second courtship "date". :P

undermuchgrace:

Gag! Vomit! Despite all my prating about the covert incest that goes on in the name of Christianity, that had not occurred to me.

I'd just like to think that they didn't want to cough up money for real art for the cover and didn't put that much thought into it. And I also read the original intent of the artist, and these two people were of the same approximate age, understanding that this was Guinevere and Lancelot. But this is a book about fathers and daughters.

If you know that she's holding a blade of sorts in the original, it occurred to me that she might be performing a creative orchiectomy with the sword.

But it is a book about fathers and daughters, isn't it. (Shudder.)

SnarkyJan:

With any luck, she's performing a DIY vasectomy in the photoshopped version.

And with that, the last of 24 pages of this thread have been transferred from Yuku. :obscene-hanged:

Snark on! :character-bowser:

Archived