IGNORED

Suggestions for young adult fiction?

Deleted12

i only read the first book of the daystar series - a sci-fi young adult series - but i loved it! there is some religion in it, but it's not pushy and mostly moral lessons rather than fundy-type teachings. i would really like to read the rest of the series, but it's hard to find!

I dunno, in a lot of fantasy I don't see much of a distinction between YA and adult (unless it's especially gruesome or something). That said...

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

the Otherland series by Tad Williams (actually, anything by him, he's amazing, although Otherland especially might be a wee bit macabre for anyone under maybe 16)

Book of Lost Things by John Connolly -- I have to say, though, I haven't enjoyed any of his other books.

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn

*Roger Zelazny's Great Book of Amber (a series of ten books, but seriously, just buy the big one -- it's unbelievable. I nominate this at least four times)

Hunger Games

Evil Genius, by Catherine Jinks: sort of like Artemis Fowl, but IMO much better main character.

Anything by Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman?

For those that like slightly nerdy books, one of my favourite books is an "Abundance of Katherines" by John Green... or really any of his books, I find him really entertaining.

I wish I could think of some other great ones right now.

Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan trilogy. A cross-dressing Scottish girl, a long-lost heir to the Hapsburgs, the eve of World War I with Hungaro-Austrian/ German steampunk military engineering versus British bioengineering. And did I mention the most beautiful, marvelous illustrations this side of the Oz books' John R. O'Neill?

Not sure if they're exactly "young adult fiction" but

The Dark Reflections Trilogy

[link=http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Silence-Heather-Gudenkauf/dp/077832740X]The Weight of Silence[/link]

[link=http://www.amazon.com/Sarahs-Special-Gift-Tatiana-Rosnay/dp/1250004217/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324624003&sr=1-1]Sarah's Key[/link]

I'd say they're the best books I've read in the past two years. :)

I've recced these before in the sci-fi/fantasy thread, but I'm doing it again because they're awesome YA.

Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen by Garth Nix. Undead things, necromancy, and a bad-ass talking cat that isn't exactly a cat.

I didn't think anyone had ever read these besides me and my sibs. I looooved them. He's supposed to release another book soonish. I can't wait for it. Such an entrancing series.

I have to have another shout-out for The Hunger Games. I so loved this trilogy.

Does Lord of the Rings count as YA? That's an old favorite too.

Guest Anonymous
I didn't think anyone had ever read these besides me and my sibs. I looooved them. He's supposed to release another book soonish. I can't wait for it. Such an entrancing series.

I'm a huge fan of his. Someday I will adopt a giant white cat and name him Mogget.

Archived