IGNORED

Suggestions for young adult fiction?

Deleted12

In the Twilight thread over in QFOS, atheistjd asked what the best Tamora Piece books are.

I, for one, have always been partial to the Alanna series.

What other books in the young adult genre are people reading and enjoying?

I just started my husband on the 'wrinkle in times' series.

And I'm re-reading Susan Cooper's "The dark is rising" series.

Guest Anonymous

Do you mean fiction that we enjoyed back then, or that we could still enjoy now?

If you like teen fantasy(similar genre to Susan Cooper) then Alan Garner is a good British Author. I particularly remember the Owl Service from my early teen years, and enjoyed re-reading it a few years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Garne ... _1964-1973

Do you mean fiction that we enjoyed back then, or that we could still enjoy now?

If you like teen fantasy(similar genre to Susan Cooper) then Alan Garner is a good British Author. I particularly remember the Owl Service from my early teen years, and enjoyed re-reading it a few years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Garne ... _1964-1973

Whichever. It's all good. :D

Compound, by S.A. Bodeen (I think that's her name.). Fantastic book, with a somewhat predictable twist.

family, by Micol Ostow (based on the Manson family)

I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I love the Pretty Little Liars series, but not the TV show. It's a great shallow, mindless read.

Identical, by Ellen Hopkins. I don't usually like her work, but this book was really powerful and sad. If you find abuse triggering, don't read it.

Wintergirls, by Laurie Halse Anderson. I liked this one as much as Speak.

Ahhh... I love this thread! Thanks Athena!

I haven't been reading much of anything lately due to school but hope to over break. I'll keep an eye on this thread and report back if I find anything good... Keep those recommendations coming :)

I just started my husband on the 'wrinkle in times' series.

And I'm re-reading Susan Cooper's "The dark is rising" series.

Absolute favorite books of all time. Haven't revisited them in quite some time though... perhaps I should.

Also, I of course have to through the obligatory HP rec... Just amazing books. Love.

FWIW, Mr. Dawbs said he found 'A wrinkle in time" much to preachy/Christian. I didn't see it as a kid, but I can understand why he finds it there.

Tamora Pierce is my favourite author. Nancy Garden's "Annie On My Mind" and "The Year They Burned Books" are both high in my list (along with her other YA books, though I've only been able to read "End Game" once despite loving it). And Darren Shan, who's books are not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. And Harry Potter.

Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' series (The Golden Compass/Nothern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spying-Glass [i think that's the name of the last one]).

Excellent young adult fantasy fiction touching on serious themes such as nascent sexuality, coming-of-age, friendship, religion, power and politics. Bonus points for strong female lead character. And extra perk for atheists - the books pretty much smash organized religion (but do dwell beautifully on an alternative, this-worldly spirituality).

I loved, loved, LOVED them. And cried a bunch when I had finished them. Powerful.

Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' series (The Golden Compass/Nothern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spying-Glass [i think that's the name of the last one]).

Excellent young adult fantasy fiction touching on serious themes such as nascent sexuality, coming-of-age, friendship, religion, power and politics. Bonus points for strong female lead character. And extra perk for atheists - the books pretty much smash organized religion (but do dwell beautifully on an alternative, this-worldly spirituality).

I loved, loved, LOVED them. And cried a bunch when I had finished them. Powerful.

I was just coming in to mention those books. They seriously blow most other series I've read out of the water. (I cried like a tiny baby during the part where Lyra's betrayal finally comes. DAMN that part hit me hard.)

Guest Anonymous

I've recced these before in the sci-fi/fantasy thread, but I'm doing it again because they're awesome YA.

Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen by Garth Nix. Undead things, necromancy, and a bad-ass talking cat that isn't exactly a cat.

The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley. Possibly my favorites. Sword and magic wielding women and bonus horses.

Mortal Coils and All that Lives Must Die by Eric Nylund. Lots of mythology and religious symbolism/characters.

Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness (The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and the Answer, Monsters of Men. Fantastic YA distopian scifi. Patriarcle fundie society.

I loved loved loved Tamora Pierce as a kid, still do. Can't wait for the new Beka Cooper book, should be out early December :).

Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness (The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and the Answer, Monsters of Men. Fantastic YA distopian scifi. Patriarcle fundie society.

I loved loved loved Tamora Pierce as a kid, still do. Can't wait for the new Beka Cooper book, should be out early December :).

It came out in October here.

Not sure if it is considered YA, but I love Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea novels.

I'm a big Tamora Pierce fan as well. I read the Alanna series first, so I'm partial to them as well. But I've never really been disappointed with anything of her's that I've read. I'm looking forward to the new Beka Cooper book as well.

Growing up, I loved Madeleine L'Engle. Re-reading them, I do see more of the Christian elements, especially in the Wrinkle in Time books. But House Like a Lotus and the other books with those characters were eye-opening for me as a child, and I still enjoy re-reading them.

Another author with definite religious elements that I still love is C.S. Lewis. I loved the Space Trilogy books, and I really really love Till We Have Faces. IMO, it was his best work ever.

The Hunger Games series was awesome.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Bumped by Megan McCafferty

The Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Confessions of a Vampire's Girlfriend by Katie MacAlister

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Another author with definite religious elements that I still love is C.S. Lewis.

I really liked the Chronicles of Narnia when I was younger, but his politics are sorta off-putting to me now. :(

I really liked the Chronicles of Narnia when I was younger, but his politics are sorta off-putting to me now. :(

I know what you mean. Til We Have Faces doesn't have the overt Christian elements, although it does have religious themes, which I think is why it doesn't have the popularity with most C.S. Lewis fans. If you enjoyed C.S. Lewis' storytelling ability, I'd really recommend Til We Have Faces. I think it blows anything else he wrote out of the water.

Ugilies

The Book thief(My favorite book of all time)

Artemis Fowl

Iron Fey(If you're in the mood for fantasy and romance)

Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore.

Read Graceling first, though.

Just a heads up, the Half Price Books marketplace website has free shipping tonight/tomorrow. They have tons of $.99 books too, including most of Tamora Pierce's books. So if you are thinking of trying one, 99 cents isn't a bad investment! Not sure if it is only for shipping within the U.S. though.

I love the Strange Angels Series by Lili StCrow... have the last of the series waiting for me (planing to read it on the plane).

Elpha I liked The Darkest Powers too, I think you'd love Strange Angels!

I love the Strange Angels Series by Lili StCrow... have the last of the series waiting for me (planing to read it on the plane).

Elpha I liked The Darkest Powers too, I think you'd love Strange Angels!

I'll check it out, thanks! I am currently reading Kelley Armstrong's adult books, so if you like The Darkest Powers you'll like those just as much. Do you know when the next book in the Darkest Powers series comes out by the way? I'm not sure if I liked the fourth...just because i'm pretty sure i liked the old characters better.

I'll check it out, thanks! I am currently reading Kelley Armstrong's adult books, so if you like The Darkest Powers you'll like those just as much. Do you know when the next book in the Darkest Powers series comes out by the way? I'm not sure if I liked the fourth...just because i'm pretty sure i liked the old characters better.

yeah I did not read the fourth, I looked over the reviews and thought I'd be disapointed.

I'm reading another series right now: Hounded series by Kevin Hearne. It's not young adult and a little hard to follow at first because it's all about mythology gods from the Irish tradition so words are just harder to get used to.

Archived