IGNORED

Duggar World Tour

Kitten

Why would TLC want to spend all that money ,much more then they spent on hate plus 8 even, on a show they are going to tank? that just does not make sense.They know something we don't about things happening in the family and want to keep the viewers hooked is more likely

It seems like a shark jump to me. TLC is going all-out on something ridiculous in a futile attempt to get viewers interested again, but it will ultimately fail, IMO. We've already seen Jim Bob criticize locals, mess up languages with no remorse, and just generally act like a tool. Seeing it in yet another country won't be nearly as interesting as TLC seems to think.

My bet is that Jim Bob will make a bunch of ridiculous statements about how he's an expert on Judaism because he read the Old Testament and thinks that is the entirety of the Jewish religion, or he'll pretend to be tolerant of Jews while condescending on them for just being sadly misinformed about Jesus. This won't end well. I hope he doesn't try to convert people while he's there.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What if it is Jana in her missionary zeal that does it, or Jill with her enthusiasm to help as she knows it? Do you want them to get rough justice to?

I don't know their ages, but if both are over 18, then yes. When you go to other countries learn the laws, ignorance is not an excuse. What do you think? Do you think they should be able to break laws they either don't want to follow or can't be bothered to learn and get away with it?

I think they'd go bankrupt within a few months. The car lot is failing so badly and they don't have any other source of income whilst Anna continues to fire them out at lightning speed.

I agree Josh and Anna would bankrupt or struggling without the TLC money.

It seems like a shark jump to me. TLC is going all-out on something ridiculous in a futile attempt to get viewers interested again, but it will ultimately fail, IMO. We've already seen Jim Bob criticize locals, mess up languages with no remorse, and just generally act like a tool. Seeing it in yet another country won't be nearly as interesting as TLC seems to think.

My bet is that Jim Bob will make a bunch of ridiculous statements about how he's an expert on Judaism because he read the Old Testament and thinks that is the entirety of the Jewish religion, or he'll pretend to be tolerant of Jews while condescending on them for just being sadly misinformed about Jesus. This won't end well. I hope he doesn't try to convert people while he's there.

I think there is also a chance that this trip is an attempt to get viewers back, but if TLC is aiming to do that they will fail. The Duggars have lost viewers because the show can be very boring at times and also some viewers who liked the Duggars in the beginning, found out more about their beliefs and stopped liking the family.

On various forums and sites, people have mentioned how Jim Bob acts like a tool on their trips, with this Europe trip people will just get annoyed with Jim Bob. I really don't think the Duggars are open to various cultures as they sometimes make themselves out to be. I have noticed in the past most of their trips overseas sometimes don't include seeing certain things about the cultures of those countries. I doubt the Duggars saw folk culture events in their Latin America trips. Even here in the U.S. they are various cultures that the Duggars are oblivious to and probably would be shocked to see.

I agree I can also picture Boob saying he is an expert on Judaism just because of the Old Testament. I wouldn't be surprised if the Duggars tried to convert people. In recent years, there has been drive in some fundie circles to try and convert Jewish and Muslims overseas. I would laugh if Jim Bob or someone in the family did something foolish and got punished for it.

This big trip could mean different things. It could mean that TLC is planning to axe the show after next season and this is basically a parting gift to the family or it could be another attempt to get viewers.

I told one of my best guy friend about this and all he said was, "they better keep their damn mouth shut off and on camera."

If any of them say one stupid remark about Israel on camera, be prepared TLC to release a statement. Or a cancellation.

Please say something stupid. please.

I told one of my best guy friend about this and all he said was, "they better keep their damn mouth shut off and on camera."

If any of them say one stupid remark about Israel on camera, be prepared TLC to release a statement. Or a cancellation.

Please say something stupid. please.

I kind of hope they will say something stupid on camera but I have a feeling if something like that happened. Editing would take care of the problem. But sometimes reality show producers and editors goof up and offensive or dumb comments make it on the air and the producers and editors don't realize it until later on.

I think there is also a chance that this trip is an attempt to get viewers back, but if TLC is aiming to do that they will fail. The Duggars have lost viewers because the show can be very boring at times and also some viewers who liked the Duggars in the beginning, found out more about their beliefs and stopped liking the family.

On various forums and sites, people have mentioned how Jim Bob acts like a tool on their trips, with this Europe trip people will just get annoyed with Jim Bob. I really don't think the Duggars are open to various cultures as they sometimes make themselves out to be. I have noticed in the past most of their trips overseas sometimes don't include seeing certain things about the cultures of those countries. I doubt the Duggars saw folk culture events in their Latin America trips. Even here in the U.S. they are various cultures that the Duggars are oblivious to and probably would be shocked to see.

I agree I can also picture Boob saying he is an expert on Judaism just because of the Old Testament. I wouldn't be surprised if the Duggars tried to convert people. In recent years, there has been drive in some fundie circles to try and convert Jewish and Muslims overseas. I would laugh if Jim Bob or someone in the family did something foolish and got punished for it.

This big trip could mean different things. It could mean that TLC is planning to axe the show after next season and this is basically a parting gift to the family or it could be another attempt to get viewers.

See, this is why I get so annoyed with them. They claim traveling overseas is a good learning experience, yet, probably doesn't visit everything. It would not surprise me while in Latin America, they just showed the slumps of the country to show their children "See, the US is filled with healthy, income stable, people, unlike the rest of the world."

One of the things that bothers me about fundies converting people is their "holier than thou" attitude that Christianity is the only truth. Please, Hinduism has been around much longer than Christianity, how do you explain that? The area where my grandparents live, northwest India, has a high percentage of Hindus and when they had an earthquake, Christian missionaries came by, handing out pamphlets to them, saying this is the sign that Jesus wants them to follow Him. REALLY?! How dare you turn Hindus to Christians just because you claim it's "right." I think that's why I have lost respect for some missionaries because they go around converting people into Christians as if that's the only way they can be saved from all the pain and suffering.

Sorry, I get so heated up with shit like this. That's why I'm an anti-Duggar fan. Rather than respecting and learning other religions, actually opening up their horizons a bit, they just feel it's necessary to speak about their beliefs. It's people like the Duggars who probably go around claiming Islam is all about terrorist attacks. (trust me, I've heard Fundies say that before) *sigh*

See, this is why I get so annoyed with them. They claim traveling overseas is a good learning experience, yet, probably doesn't visit everything. It would not surprise me while in Latin America, they just showed the slumps of the country to show their children "See, the US is filled with healthy, income stable, people, unlike the rest of the world."

One of the things that bothers me about fundies converting people is their "holier than thou" attitude that Christianity is the only truth. Please, Hinduism has been around much longer than Christianity, how do you explain that? The area where my grandparents live, northwest India, has a high percentage of Hindus and when they had an earthquake, Christian missionaries came by, handing out pamphlets to them, saying this is the sign that Jesus wants them to follow Him. REALLY?! How dare you turn Hindus to Christians just because you claim it's "right." I think that's why I have lost respect for some missionaries because they go around converting people into Christians as if that's the only way they can be saved from all the pain and suffering.

Sorry, I get so heated up with shit like this. That's why I'm an anti-Duggar fan. Rather than respecting and learning other religions, actually opening up their horizons a bit, they just feel it's necessary to speak about their beliefs. It's people like the Duggars who probably go around claiming Islam is all about terrorist attacks. (trust me, I've heard Fundies say that before) *sigh*

The Duggars like paying lip service to keep viewers or hush critics that is why they say stuff about how traveling overseas is a good learning experience. But I agree when they go on trips they probably don't see everything. Even in some of their trips to here and around the U.S., they are things they don't see and they probably carefully select certain things for the kids to see. If the Duggars were traveling through New Mexico, I doubt they would actually go Native American pow wows or public rituals and Boob and Mullet would shit their pants if they went to New Mexico art museums that show art work of people practicing brujueria, curanderismio. If Boob and Mullet took the kids on a trip to South Florida and cities like Miami, they trip would just consist of going to the beach and going out on the boat. I doubt they would visit areas of Miami that are heavily Cuban or Haitain. The Duggars might not know about voodoo or santeria. In the DC trip, they acted pretty ignorant at the Ethopian restaurant.

I also hate how fundies try and convert people in countries especially after disasters or tragedies happen. Some fundies probably aren't aware that Hindusim has been around longer than Christianity. I agree with you, I get annoyed with how the Duggars always have to speak about their beliefs. I know several Christians who travel around the world quite a bit, but when they are in countries in which there isn't a majority Christian population, they respect the beliefs of those people and they focus on learning about the cultures or religions of those people.

It's worse than that. Most people in Latin America are Catholic, and the Duggars don't even count that as Christianity. They want everyone to follow their specific brand of Christianity.

They will never be accepting of other religions, and the absolutely do not go to other countries to learn about culture, religious or secular. Their only goal in life is to convert people into their lifestyle. They are so sure that they are the only ones who are right that they don't think they need to learn anything about anyone else.

Thank you, MamaJuneBug. I didn't know about the law against proselytism in Israel. That makes much more sense now re: what others are saying here. I hope they abide by the laws and that they learn what they are, but if they disregard those laws, they should face the consequences just like everyone else.

Count me in as one who really hates the whole "Christianity is the ONLY religion, and everyone else will burn in hell" crap.

And yes, I am Catholic, go figure.

I truly believe that there is a Supreme Being, but He/She chose to reveal Himself/Herself to different cultures in different ways- thus all the different religions in the world. Every major religion in the world teaches some variation of "do unto others as you would have others do unto you", so really we aren't all that different.

And there is speculation that Jesus actually travelled the world and studied other religions before He began His public life. Both the Jews and the Muslims recognize Him as a great teacher.

I'm sure Jesus is appalled by all the stupidity committed in His name.

But I do think He has a sense of humour, and I can just imagine the reaction of all of these fundies when they realise their nieghbours in heaven are gay Buddhists, lesbian Muslims, and so on. :lol:

Count me in as one who really hates the whole "Christianity is the ONLY religion, and everyone else will burn in hell" crap.

Ditto.

I was reading an article yesterday about a court decision supporting a school who told a math teacher he had to take down giant banners that said "One nation under god" and "God shed his grace on thee." The teacher said he was being singled out because the phrases involved Christianity.

Uh... so... only the Christian god blesses America? The arrogance pisses me off.

(And then of course there are the people who fixate on the fact that a non-Christian isn't "saved," when there are millions of people who are "Christian" yet have never seen a bible outside of a hotel room and have never been to church. Get your own house in order, because mine's doing alright...)

But anyway, I doubt there's much proselytizing on this trip. It sounds like they're doing the standard quick and dirty Christian tour. I would like to see them go to the Dome of the Rock, as I think a Muslim holy site will provoke more interesting reactions than a Jewish one (I could be biased...) When I was there for several months, if we out 4-5 times per week we might see another Jewish tour group once or twice. It was only the day we went to Via Dolorosa & Church of the Holy Sepulchre that was saw any tourists, and it was like... bus load after bus load of grandparents all wearing matching hats or matching t-shirts in a cattle call to these 2 sites. Point being, other than anything TLC arranges, they're probably not having any interactions with any Israelis. (Ok, maybe they took a kibbutz tour...)

I'm looking forward to seeing how the show frames this trip. I'm pretty sure they'll edit it so it's all fluffy and inoffensive, but I'd like for them to show their true colors a bit more.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the show frames this trip. I'm pretty sure they'll edit it so it's all fluffy and inoffensive, but I'd like for them to show their true colors a bit more.

I agree I think the framing and editing will be set to be fluffy. But as I said before sometime editors screw up and things that aren't pleasant end up on air.

I'd actually like to see them on a kibbutz. They are generally self sufficient, self educating etc. Many believe in "group" raising of children and arent that far off from some of the beliefs the Duggars tout. I've always wondered why the duggars dont grow more of their own food and function more in the local community. Perhaps they could learn something.

Why would they send Khate and the 8 (plus Steve and Jamie) to New Zealand and Australia just before canceling? Why would they send the Roloffs to Europe and the Virgin Islands (twice, if I recall) just before canceling?

While TLC probably paid for the expenses of the camera crew to go to Australia and NZ, the station that is broadcasting their show in those places may have been the ones to foot the bill for Kate & the kids to go there. That is why they went to Australia and NZ in the first place. The show was just starting to air over there so they went there to promote it.

Did not answer the question.

Sorry for missing the second part about the rough treatment. As I said in my initial post, I doubt the girls will be handing out tracts, but for ANY of them who might, they need to be prosecuted to full extent of Isreali law. And yes, that means sweet Jill and gentle Jana should they be so ignorant as to not know this rule going in.

To be honest, since TLC is footing the bill, they should inform the Duggars about any behavior that is illegal, but I don't think they're obligated to stop them from being their typical Ugly American selves. Heck, we've already seen Boob disrespect the peoples of Central America (and he disrespects a large segment of American society with almost every utterance); I don't see his behavior changing on this trip.

I think TLC is banking on ratings from the critics more than their shrinking fanbase these days. I wouldn't be surprised to see plenty of Boob idiocy in the final edits of the trip.

I'd actually like to see them on a kibbutz. They are generally self sufficient, self educating etc. Many believe in "group" raising of children and arent that far off from some of the beliefs the Duggars tout. I've always wondered why the duggars dont grow more of their own food and function more in the local community. Perhaps they could learn something.

I'm certainly not an expert on kibbutzim, but I don't think it's anything like what the Duggars want. First of all, childcare responsibilities are spread out among different adults, and not necessarily just relatives. From what I understand, kids are not raised as collectively as they used to be, but they are still not isolated just with their biological family. Adult women are valued as contributing members of the society too, and not just accessories for their husbands or fathers. The schools are private within the community but still not homeschooling, and I'm pretty sure they get more education than just religious propaganda. The Duggars don't believe in "group" raising at all and won't let anyone take care of a child for even an hour unless they are blood relatives. If they won't allow their kids to go to Sunday School, they certainly wouldn't want their kids to go to a kibbutz school.

I would actually like to see the Duggars go to a Muslim country near Israel. There's tons of history and tourism in the whole area, but once the girls have to borrow a covering to visit a beautiful mosque, they will get over their holier-than-thou modesty pretty quick. On the other hand, Jim Bob might get some ideas and make his daughters start covering their hair and ankles. I just find it hilarious to think of the modesty competitors being the most exposed ones in a room.

While TLC probably paid for the expenses of the camera crew to go to Australia and NZ, the station that is broadcasting their show in those places may have been the ones to foot the bill for Kate & the kids to go there. That is why they went to Australia and NZ in the first place. The show was just starting to air over there so they went there to promote it.

I live in Australia and Kate Plus 8 does not air here, to my knowledge.

But I think you may be correct that TLC does not need to foot a hefty bill for most of these trips. A significant percentage would be paid for by the various tourist destinations/hotels/airlines they use, who would reap the benefit of in-show product placement. I'm sure Tourism Australia/NZ paid a significant sum for the Gosselins' trip, not for the benefit of local audiences but to be seen by Americans who may consider making a similar trip. The same is probably true for whatever tourist destinations the Duggars visit.

While TLC may be footing part of the bill for the trip, I think its safe to assume that if a certain hotel/resort/restaurant is featured in any of the shows (as in a lingering shot on the sign in front of the establishment) then they are offering free service in return for the publicity. I think that's pretty standard procedure.

And I have to beg to differ from the majority here, but I don't think that there will be any attempts at street preaching while in Israel. No doubt Jim Bob will be his usual dumbass ugly American self, but I have a feeling that they may have a bit more respect for Israel and it's laws than they do for El Salvador, because it isn't a poor Catholic Spanish-speaking country, English is widely spoken, and it is, after all, The Holy Land.

I would actually like to see the Duggars go to a Muslim country near Israel. There's tons of history and tourism in the whole area, but once the girls have to borrow a covering to visit a beautiful mosque, they will get over their holier-than-thou modesty pretty quick. On the other hand, Jim Bob might get some ideas and make his daughters start covering their hair and ankles. I just find it hilarious to think of the modesty competitors being the most exposed ones in a room.

Oh, I'm sure by now they've run into their fair share of Muslims. Northern Israel has large pockets of Muslim Israelis, and if they venture into East Jerusalem at all, they'll be swamped with mosques & Muslims, and Arab Christians. Better yet, if they went across the southern border into Egypt...ho-lay shnapen...um pretty big eye opening experience for them. They'd (the Duggars) start to feel like THEY were the ones defrauding others, dressed in their short sleeves, long hair flowing. Would love to see their faces :twisted:

Archived