IGNORED

Dear LL, I still really really hate you...and think you suck

treemom

I don't really care what people name their kids or why.

I do, however, get really irritated if and when I do not know how to pronounce/spell a name and they get offended.

An acquaintance named her son Shawn. His father is Sean. Their thinking, from what I'm told, is they wanted to name him after his father but not be a Junior. Then they get irritated with people who spell his name like his father's. If you don't see it written or know they chose a different spelling of the same name, how the hell can you be expected to get it right?

A relative named her daughter Brittany. People spell it Britney, Brittney...and they get pretty assholey when they have to correct the spelling of others.

Do what you want when it comes to your kid. But, don't hold others responsible for not knowing or thinking as you do.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't really care what people name their kids or why.

I do, however, get really irritated if and when I do not know how to pronounce/spell a name and they get offended.

An acquaintance named her son Shawn. His father is Sean. Their thinking, from what I'm told, is they wanted to name him after his father but not be a Junior. Then they get irritated with people who spell his name like his father's. If you don't see it written or know they chose a different spelling of the same name, how the hell can you be expected to get it right?

A relative named her daughter Brittany. People spell it Britney, Brittney...and they get pretty assholey when they have to correct the spelling of others.

Do what you want when it comes to your kid. But, don't hold others responsible for not knowing or thinking as you do.

Yes, I get what you're saying, but there's an obvious way to spell "Mike". If my child tells you his name is "Mike" (it's not, but my kids' names are similar in their straightforwardness), you're probably not going to spell it "M-y-k-e" or some strange shit. Is it possible that someone named their kid "Myke"? Well, sure, as people name their kids all sorts of odd stuff, but they do that knowing that it's going to be confusing to people. If someone tells me their name is "Mary" and that's what I write down and then they get pissy because it's actually spelled "Meri", that's on them. If your name is spelled strangely, you should spell it automatically for people, just like I do for our street name.

On the Irish names, I'm another one who loves the name Siobhan, but I don't think I could do that to a kid. Niamh, possibly, since I think it's a bit more common. I also like Rory a lot, but assuming that my kid would not be growing up in Ireland (unlikely), I wouldn't use the Irish spelling, because outside of a couple of Irish-heavy, metropolitan areas, maybe, they'd get stuck with people either butchering the pronunciation of their name, assuming it's some kind of jacked-up, "creative" spelling on the part of the kid's parents or both. As far as my credentials for using an Irish name go, I was an Irish studies minor in college, wrote my graduate dissertation about Belfast, I know about the Táin Bó Cuailnge and do have some Irish blood on my mother's side. Personally, I don't think you have to have Irish blood to use an Irish name (or Scottish blood to use a Scottish name, or Jewish blood to use Biblical names), but I agree that if you don't know how to pronounce said name when it's spelled the Irish way, you either need to use the Anglicized version or people are justified in thinking you're a tool. Oh, and I had a teacher in Ireland who was called "Eoin," also pronounced "Owen." Meanwhile, a friend of my mom's named Róisín couldn't believe it when I took a message for her one day and actually knew how to spell her name properly. Poor woman.

With regard to parents changing the names of kids who are adopted, at least in the case of China, I can kind of understand it in the sense that because of the tones, most Chinese names really are impossible for the vast majority of Americans to pronounce correctly, unless they know some Mandarin (and just forget, say, Cantonese). I mean, this is a language where mispronouncing a word can turn it from "pen" into "vagina." Also, a huge percentage of Chinese people adopt English names for conversing in English, anyway (largely for just the reason I mentioned), so it's not totally out of order to give a kid an English name, I don't think. That said, why not give them an English name in addition to their Chinese name, and let them use both? In Chinese contexts (say you send the kid to Chinese language classes or something), they can use the Mandarin name. In English contexts, they can use the English name. Doing that, to me, seems totally fine. Just totally ignoring the Chinese name, like it never existed, starts to smack of trying to erase the kid's own culture.

Oh, and the creative spelling shit needs to stop. You do not need to spell your kid's name Miquealat (the "t" is silent, of course). First of all, do you ever want them to find a job? Secondly, they'll be plenty unique without having a ridiculous-looking name. I think people are actually starting to realize this; it seems like the trend might be going back the other way, finally.

I've always thought of Micah as a Jewish name. I've only known Jewish kids named Micah. Friends of ours in residency had a son the same day our daughter was born (we didn't know she'd been born til 2 months later), and he was named Micah. He's now a rabbi.

That's totally regional (or even micro-regional - are you from St Louis Park?) - it's a Baptist name where I grew up, and it's a sort of yuppie-hippie name right now - I only run into little Micah's in places like Electric Fetus, but we've met several young-adult Micah's who grew up fundie. Also, this might blow your mind - I had a German Christian 1st-generation American great-uncle who was named Isaac. I'm pretty sure they used the "open the Bible and point" method for naming.

Between the Muslims, the Baptists, the Jews, and the fad for "traditional" names, my son's school age-mates are pretty evenly split between the Liam-Kieran-Ian contingent and the Jonah-Noah-Isaiah-Zachariah one. There's a smattering of nature names and a few traditional Anglo ones (Henry, Oliver, William) but it's mostly either Irish or Old Testament.

with a Y? very weird because they actually don't use that letter too much in words. I think it's an americanism... I can't even find that name in latin american baby registry although many spanish seem to have that name.

I did a Facebook search for the name Ysabel and it brought up Isabel, Isabela, and Isabella, no Ysabel. I really don't think it is a common spelling if there aren't any Facebook users who spell it that way. And none of my younger son's 4 siblings have any Facebook friends who spell it that way, though there are Isabel and Isabela friends. His siblings all live in Colombia. According to google it is of French origin and "Ysabel is not a popular first name for women and an equally uncommon surname or last name for all people. "

That's totally regional (or even micro-regional - are you from St Louis Park?) - it's a Baptist name where I grew up, and it's a sort of yuppie-hippie name right now - I only run into little Micah's in places like Electric Fetus, but we've met several young-adult Micah's who grew up fundie. Also, this might blow your mind - I had a German Christian 1st-generation American great-uncle who was named Isaac. I'm pretty sure they used the "open the Bible and point" method for naming.

I live in the Highland Park neighborhood of Saint Paul but am from New York. The Micah friend who is a rabbi now was born in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, where his father was a medical resident along with my DH. His parents are both natives of New Orleans, where they returned to after residency. Their Jewish roots are several generations in New Orleans. Micah is now in Toronto.

Meh. I think it's more "Oh, the stupid!" that gets me in regards to names. I am personally a little sick of the speshul-snowflakeness that I get from parents in regards to their kids' names. To me, there is nothing better than a little girl named Mary or a boy named Johnny. Your little bun isn't so unique being called Izzibill, it's the common name Isabelle just mangled to the tens. I think I get more angry when a parent gives me lip about a child who is something like "Janequella", and when I say it "Jane-quilla" I get told sternly that it's "Ja-nee-keela". For fucks' sake! In regards to "ethnic" names, parents need to at least be aware that as a traditional name, a name like Niamh is "Neev", not "Ni-am-ah". You can't take an established name and completely change how it's pronounced unless you are AWARE you will receive flack for it and are okay with that.

And yeah... if you like Jacob and honestly think it's Jake-up or you like Tadasha and believe Ta-a is an "okay" way to spell it... you just look like a dumbass. So don't get angry at me when I don't pronounce snowflake's name correctly.

I did a Facebook search for the name Ysabel and it brought up Isabel, Isabela, and Isabella, no Ysabel. I really don't think it is a common spelling if there aren't any Facebook users who spell it that way. And none of my younger son's 4 siblings have any Facebook friends who spell it that way, though there are Isabel and Isabela friends. His siblings all live in Colombia. According to google it is of French origin and "Ysabel is not a popular first name for women and an equally uncommon surname or last name for all people. "

You have to search for a last name, otherwise you get people who have just that first name, like pop stars. I searched for Ysabel + common last names in Mexico and there are hundreds of each.

I don't know where you got your information. Every baby book and even wikipedia name Ysabel as the Spanish version of Isabel(la) and I know many people in my community named that. I'm sure it is an uncommon last name.

You have to search for a last name, otherwise you get people who have just that first name, like pop stars. I searched for Ysabel + common last names in Mexico and there are hundreds of each.

I don't know where you got your information. Every baby book and even wikipedia name Ysabel as the Spanish version of Isabel(la) and I know many people in my community named that. I'm sure it is an uncommon last name.

I'm not the poster who mentioned the baby book of Hispanic baby names, that was another poster. The "Ysabel is not a popular first name for women and an equally uncommon surname or last name for all people" and its French origin is from google. With my son's 4 siblings in Colombia their friends lists have first and last names, and there are no Ysabels, only Isabel and Isabelas. In the end it doesn't matter, there is no right or wrong answer.

The raising olives chick named her kid Isabella, and makes sure to clarify that it is pronounced Eesabella and not Izzzabella. Great, but is she going to follow her kid through life to clarify that?

My cousin's ex wife is Andrea. But don't dare say An-dree-a, it must be said Ahn-drea-uh.

As I said, I don't care what people name their kids. I just won't be responsible for saying or spelling it incorrectly, particularly when it is a common name that you've chosen to spell or pronounce your own way.

Jackson or Jaxson, it's the same pronunciation. No matter where the emphasis is put on Andrea, it is the same name with your choice of emphasis. I understand cultural heritage pronunciations and all, but if I'm not of your heritage, how the hell would I know the difference?

I say this all as someone who has a common name, or nick name, with a unique spelling. It is also generally a boy's name. I know where my mom got it but I still question her choice and think she was doped up on something when she chose it. I've lived an entire life having to pronounce, spell and explain my name. When asked my name, everyone says 'what' or a few other names that sound similar, thinking they must have mis-heard me. Then I almost always have to explain how I got the name and if it has a meaning (no, it doesn't). I've seriously reached the point of just saying it was my mom's choice and I leave it at that. Or, try to.

I say to parents, don't do that to your kid. Don't make their name the main topic of conversation when they first meet someone. Don't force them to have to spell it out and correct people their whole lives. Your adorable kid with that adorable name is going to be an adult one day and there are so many better ways to make a first impression than a constant five minute discussion and clarification about the origin of their name.

I have a super common average name although my middle name (Leigh) has a less than common spelling and yet somehow my name is always mispelled, first and last.

It is about like misspelling Amy Jones.

So my moral has been, people are always going to eff your name up...

My cousin's ex wife is Andrea. But don't dare say An-dree-a, it must be said Ahn-drea-uh.

Andrea is my son's sister's name. The An-dree-a is the American pronounciation, the Colombian/Spanish pronounciation is Ahn-drea-uh. My daughter-in-law is Camila and so often non-Hispanics pronounce it like Camilla, the mistress wife of Prince Charles.

I say to parents, don't do that to your kid. Don't make their name the main topic of conversation when they first meet someone. Don't force them to have to spell it out and correct people their whole lives. Your adorable kid with that adorable name is going to be an adult one day and there are so many better ways to make a first impression than a constant five minute discussion and clarification about the origin of their name.

I could never be the vital statistics clerk in the hospital who fills out the information for the birth certificate. I'd lose my job after the first time I said WTF are you thinking of.

argentinia site:

http://www.bebesenlaweb.com.ar/todo-el- ... sVMuE-2OxA

Yésica (hebreo). En gracia de Dios.

Yoconda (italiano). Alegre y jovial.

Yolanda (germánico). La que causa regocijo.

Yone / Yole (griego). Bella como la violeta.

Yunca. Debe acompañarse con otro nombre que indique sexo.

Yuqui.

Yvette. Variante de Ivonne (ver).

Yvonne. Variante de Ivonne (ver)

on this site: http://actividades.parabebes.com/nombres-nina/y same thing

the don't mention Ysabel in the entry on Isabel, which is the spanish form. Maybeit's popular in Mexico and SPain but not inthe rest of latin america, but I never heard of Ysabel with a y and I mostly know latin people outside of north america

I don't mind when people call me Sophia, Scofi (true story) Safiatou, etc. I understand it may not be easy to get my name, and I haven't hear any non-francophone prounounce it correctly anyway. so whatever, everyone is different, and that' just a name, not my true identity or the essence of my being lol

You have the right to name your kid whatever you want.

But the rest of us have the equal right to view you as a selfish, culturally insensitive jerk.

*snort* :clap:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Mira is getting the shaft right now. I try not to judge (much) on when people get pregnant or whatever, but Mira deserved to be the star of the show for at least a LITTLE longer. Sheesh.

I don't mind when people call me Sophia, Scofi (true story) Safiatou, etc. I understand it may not be easy to get my name, and I haven't hear any non-francophone prounounce it correctly anyway. so whatever, everyone is different, and that' just a name, not my true identity or the essence of my being lol

See, that's just the thing, isn't it? Even people with normal names are going to get a screwed up version some time or another. You don't have to be an ass about it.

And that much moreif you choose to name your child something that sets everyone else in the world up to fail around him or her every damn time (Toirdhealbhach, or Marreigh (Mary), for example, or Jaqueline which you decide should be pronounced "JAY-ca-lean"), you really have to not be a jerk and accept that it goes with the territory. Because it does. :violin:

For those who need some humor...

http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

A sample:

for a girl Tierrainney Mackanzie [last name]

for a boy Tristin Gabrielle Reese [last name]

Oh yeah. Every boy wants Gabrielle as a middle name.. And that girl's name could use a few more syllables. Hell, if you're going to give your kid a cool super-villain name like Tyranny, spell it right!

Guest Anonymous

My name is Andrea and I get all kinds of pronunciations. My name is pronounced an-dree-a and it kind of bugs me when it's pronounced ahhn-dree-uh like the girl from 90210. ugh. I personally like my nickname Andi better :) even though when I was younger I hated being called that because that was a "boy" name.

My son has a very traditional and reasonably common pan-European name. It exists in Greek, French, English and Spanish (why we chose it) German, etc., and varies only by the choice of an "a" or "e" in one position. When we called my husband's best friend after his birth, the friend replied shortly thereafter with an email that referenced our son. He spelled it with the "a" (correct for us), but asked if he had spelled it correctly (because his wife pointed out that it could be "e" instead.) We laughed about all of the possibilities for kre8tif spellings in a name with several vowel sounds, and replied that we actually spelled it with several extra "a"s, a "y", and an "i" added, at least doubling the character count. We assumed that our friend got the joke, and it wasn't until a month later that we learned that, having both worked for CPS, our friends had believed our insane spelling, and just sort of shrugged it off as "people will choose strange baby names."

We all had a huge laugh when it was cleared up at the thought of our son having to make his way through life with a name unpronounceable to anyone who wasn't willing to slowly sound it out phonetically. Are people engaged in some sort of toughen-em-up boy-named-Sue shenanigans when saddling their kids with these names?

I hate the co-opting of names as well. Lyndsie's friend, total whitebread middle class American family, just adopted a Korean baby boy, dumped his Korean name (although he's 18 months or thereabouts, so, plenty old enough for it to make a difference), and now he is "Liam." HATE! Isn't adoption confusing and stressful enough without changing the baby's name?

yeah this pissed me off as well. and the fact she lets anyone and everyone look after him-umm bonding anyone? then talks about how hard it is with two kids in the same sentence as how she wants a huge family.

that girl is so stupid:

http://www.ourhappilyeveraftersDOTcom/

That bad baby names site made my head hurt. You know, I think it's sad some of the parents couldn't even bother to spell correctly before offering a unique name like Ariellyah Nycole? Well now... how about you prove you can spell first, mommy, without going into the deep end of the pool with the funky, unique names. In case you don't have the time to go through the whole site, I made cliff notes of my favorites:

How about Shellsea?...It's like Chelsea but softer . A nice middle name with it would be Summer.
Wow.

I am 7 months pregnant, and I am having a boy. I think i'm going to name my son Kakinston ,, What do you think... ??
Sounds like Borat's brother.

seems to me that the name "Scatman" is a great one. you know: after semi-singer and comedian Scatman Crothers
With that in mind, can I name my son Pennenteller Crimefighter?

My fiance and I named our first born Cam'ron, I thougt at the time it was pretty unique but the name was actually pretty common last May. Just different spellings.
E's? We're too cool for that!

I really like Ireland as a mn. It sounds sooo cute. I like McCarthy for a boy too.
I really like Ireland as a man? I also like the stigma of red scares.

I have a 7 yr. old daughter named Mariah Carrie [last name] ...

Dreamlover, come rescue me. Dreamlover... I could name my second baby that!!!

friend of mine worked in a hospital and would check the nursery every day for names - he has a list a mile and a half long - my favorite that I remember was "Espe Do Wop Jones!"
I personally like Hanson Mmmbop for a boy.

I've gotten a few e-mails about the name Latrina, so I thought I'd do some research.
Yawn... everyone knows someone who knows someone who knows a Latrina. And her sister Toyletta. And her brother John.

Alpachino Baines--he told me his father was a big fan of the actor--everyone called him Chino.
I met someone once who told me their son's full name and, as a second, they'd call him "Duce". All I could think of was droppin' one.

I work for head start and we have a pair of twins this year: Pookie Bair (like bear)and Poopsie Dier (like deer) both girls!

Which spelling is best for baby boy

Tristan

Tristen

Trystan

Triston

Tristain

Other

I've never heard Tristan for a girl myself...

Anyways... I'm happy to report that after LL, I will not be naming my daughter Eunice Virginia. ;)

ATTENTION NurseNell...

If, as you say, you've encountered a child named "La - a" you should immediately report it to the authorities.

And by "authorities" I mean snopes.com

I'm lazy-quoting you as having posted about your work in a school and having met:

my #1 favorite, La - a (girl, pronounced Ladasha, I am not lying).

According to snopes that tale is of undermined origin. I think you should report your findings so they might update their page.

You can find the page I'm referring to right here:

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

My dad's side of the family is originally from Northern Ireland so I am related to a few Siobhans. It is not a weird name here so it was making me laugh reading "I couldn't do that to a child" ;)

My aunt Siobhan went to the US on a trip and she said everyone called her "See-ob-han" or wrote her name down "Shavorn". This amused her greatly, but it would be a pain in the arse if you grew up with it, I would imagine.

Archived