IGNORED

Bethany is preggers - at last!!!

grace_less

The Wissmann family is going to be in Iowa the day after Thanksgiving:

United Methodist Church

301 Hansen Blvd.

West Union, IA

Friday, Nov. 25 - 6:30 PM

Anyone else want to go? Taking Hwy 52 it's only 175 miles. If the weather is cooperative I'm up to going.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree Sarahisawesome.

Gloria Wissmann told a barren woman at our church that barrenness is God's chastisement for some horrible sin in the woman's or husband's past or present. So, yeah, I don't suppose the Wissmanns or Bethany would want to talk about infertility if she and Dan couldn't have a baby.

The Wissmanns also taught that miscarriage was God's punishment for hidden sin in the life of the believer. Years later, when Gloria had a miscarriage after Nathaneal, there was an about-face. The devil was trying to mess with their singing business, I mean "ministry," which was having a great effect for God with the Gospel of Big Family and turning the hearts of fathers toward their children.

Snort. Guess it's easy to talk if you're able to churn out 13 (?) kids, no big.

I'd like to know where these statements appear in the Bible. Chapter and verse. I'll wait.

I can assure you I am not a troll. I am a lurker. I follow this family, so I only comment on threads about them.

If you're just a lurker, do you not follow any blog or website of families that are talked about much more than the Wissmans on freejinger? Why do you not comment on anyone else? It seems to me that your only interest is in the Wissmanns et al. I'm curious about that.

Do you know the Wissmanns? I've wondered if Kori will get sucked into the whole ATI/Vision Forum Group Think by living so close to the Wissmanns and hanging out with their church and social crowd. Maybe it would be easier for Andrew to come to his own conclusions if he and Kori weren't living right there in Nebraska?

No, I've followed their blogs for years though. Despite a few things here and there that I don't like about them (especially their dubious connections), I like this family. They seem to let their kids have more freedom than other Fundie families. Josiah and Andrew married women who wear pants and IIRC some of their now married kids were allowed to go on group dates when they were courting, unsupervised by adults.

I hope Kori doesn't get sucked in either. She is the most normal of the bunch and I get the feeling that Andrew is more being sucked into her world than vice-versa.

If you're just a lurker, do you not follow any blog or website of families that are talked about much more than the Wissmans on freejinger? Why do you not comment on anyone else? It seems to me that your only interest is in the Wissmanns et al. I'm curious about that.

I follow a few others, ones which are not snarked about as often on fj. And I also follow the duggars. Obviously, it's kind of hard not to follow them because of all their publicity, but don't usually talk about them on fj, just read the threads.

I follow a few others, ones which are not snarked about as often on fj. And I also follow the duggars. Obviously, it's kind of hard not to follow them because of all their publicity, but don't usually talk about them on fj, just read the threads.

OK, so you follow other fundie blogs which are not snarked about often on fj. Got that. But, you don't snark on them? You follow the Duggars but you don't snark on them, either. Only the Wissmanns. But, wait! You DON'T snark on the Wissmans. You just put out a good word for them, Kori, and the Beasleys. I still don't get it. Who ARE you???

You are looking far too deep into this. Ive said it before, but I'll say it again. I like the Wissmann's. I don't come on here to snark. I read what others post, and put in my 2 cents when I feel like it. I'm not going to intentionally talk bad about a family that I enjoy reading about.. Yeah, I don't agree with things they believe, but I like following them and like reading their blogs. I don't read blogs of people that I don't want to know about. All the blogs I follow are ones I am interested in, there for there is really nothing negative to say. End of Story.

I didn't ask why you don't talk bad about families you enjoy reading about. I asked why you comment ONLY on the Wissmanns, Kori and the Beasleys.

You said you "follow a few others, ones which are not snarked about as often on fj."

So, why don't you comment on or defend one of these OTHER families? After all, you don't know anyone personally and you enjoy reading about ALL of them, I presume.

Why comment on just the Wissmanns et al? I'd really like to know.

Oh, and please don't overlook my question in the above post. I'm eager to know what things you don't agree with.

Sorry to continue the tangent but re: the blckface stuff, I am pretty naive when it comes to these things. When I was in college there was a huge uproar because a musical group that played on campus dressed in stereotypical blackface, but here's the thing - they were black and almost all the kids protesting were white. So I thought that was a bit stupid. I took the blackface as some kind of statement but I got absolutely chewed out by the administration when I voiced my opinion that the group shouldn't have been banned from campus, etc. I dunno, what do you think? That was my one and only encounter with it.

Sorry to continue the tangent but re: the blckface stuff, I am pretty naive when it comes to these things. When I was in college there was a huge uproar because a musical group that played on campus dressed in stereotypical blackface, but here's the thing - they were black and almost all the kids protesting were white. So I thought that was a bit stupid. I took the blackface as some kind of statement but I got absolutely chewed out by the administration when I voiced my opinion that the group shouldn't have been banned from campus, etc. I dunno, what do you think? That was my one and only encounter with it.

The protest in this case strikes me as silly. I'm guessing that the group was parodying blackface performers and, yes, probably trying to make a statement. I don't think there's anything wrong with people doing a send-up of stereotypes or engaging in some humorous (not cruel) self-mocking.

This kind of reaction is part of the reason it is so difficult to have an honest dialogue about race and racism.

The protest in this case strikes me as silly. I'm guessing that the group was parodying blackface performers and, yes, probably trying to make a statement. I don't think there's anything wrong with people doing a send-up of stereotypes or engaging in some humorous (not cruel) self-mocking.

This kind of reaction is part of the reason it is so difficult to have an honest dialogue about race and racism.

Totally agree. On the one hand I want to be sensitive but on the other hand it can get to such an extreme that it shuts down communication, and that seems like a huge step backwards. I'm taking a class on advocating for rights for people with disabilities and we had somebody come and talk to us about respectful language. He said it was hugely insulting for somebody to tell him he's "inspiring." (He had a physical disability and the specific example was that he walked across the stage on his own for high school graduation, with no crutches, etc., but then got mad when somebody told him that was inspirational to them). I think we need sensitivity on BOTH sides in these types of situations - know the difference between people being assholes, people being insensitive but open to being corrected, and then people just trying to reach out (as I believe the "inspirational" commenter was).

(Note: not in the situation with Bethany's family. They should have apologized).

New Post confirming miscarraige:

bloggingbeth.blogspot.com/2011/11/blessings-of-lord.html

I thought you meant she had just had a miscarriage after posting the news. My heart sank.

You are looking far too deep into this. Ive said it before, but I'll say it again. I like the Wissmann's. I don't come on here to snark. I read what others post, and put in my 2 cents when I feel like it. I'm not going to intentionally talk bad about a family that I enjoy reading about.. Yeah, I don't agree with things they believe, but I like following them and like reading their blogs. I don't read blogs of people that I don't want to know about. All the blogs I follow are ones I am interested in, there for there is really nothing negative to say. End of Story.

You come to a snark board yet hate snarking. Weird. Please tell me that you aren't a Duggar defender.

I don't think Kori is ATI/vision forum. ... I hope she and andrew stay out. ... I'd hate to see such a cute couple wasted on such a lifestyle.

Sarah, why do you believe it would be a waste of a cute couple if Kori and Andrew stayed in the ATI lifestyle of their friends and Andrew's family members? You said you'd hate to see it happen, but Kori obviously is not stupid and must have known what she was getting into.

So, again, why would you hate to see them wasted on such a lifestyle? What would be wrong with that, in your opinion?

When I was looking on the black face bit these people really showed their true colors (no pun intended). I especially loved how someone pointed out this:

thegradyfamilyarchives3.blogspot.com/2011/04/nchea-2011.html

"Nate's room, Iran, complete with the 'terrorist' won first place."

Fuck you, you stupid assholes. Ignorance breeds ignorance. Granted, the assumption that Iran is "full o' terrorists" isn't just limited to fundies, but the stupid just kills me here. And I would like to see Anna B do something that isn't homey set-decorating or cake-baking, thus proving what a godly, sweet woman she is (honestly, if I see another blurb about what a talented, woman of God she is, I will barf...can this girl go to college, or is college and the easy correspondence route only for the boys?). I think she's lovely and I'm sick of seeing her (and Lise or any fundie women for that matter) being talked-about like all she is a a homey-womb for more baybeez. Grrr...

Maybe I'm too trusting, but I definitely only read a few of the fundie blogs regularly, and I don't think I'm super snarky either, in this case I'd give Sarahisawesome the benefit of the doubt. I mean, I enjoy reading the snark and following the worst things the families do on these threads, those whose blogs I don't follow, but I don't typically post that much snark in reply...

Also, back on topic, that announcement photo was adorable, and that spanking comment was definitely weird. Even in a fundie sense, it's weird. *shudder*

Can't speak for others but, I will give Sarah the benefit of doubt. I'll choose to believe only what she tells us and to assume nothing more: She's a lurker who follows blogs she enjoys reading, and she doesn't know any of them personally. Then, she reads about those same families on fj. I see by her profile that Sarah comments only on the Wissmanns, Kori and the Beasley's.

sarahisawesome said:

I don't agree with things they believe...

Sarah, please tell us, what things do you not agree with that they believe?

sarahisawesome said:

I don't think Kori is ATI/vision forum. ... I hope she and andrew stay out. ... I'd hate to see such a cute couple wasted on such a lifestyle.

Sarah, why do you believe it would be a waste of such a cute couple if Kori and Andrew stayed in the ATI lifestyle?

Archived