IGNORED

Where the Kudzu Grows

ladyamylynn

wherethekudzugrows.com/

Hi All! I've been following this blog for a while- Southern fundie family with ties to the Phillips and Botkin families, among others. They have two attractive older daughters, the younger of which is courting currently. I think she's about 17 from what I can tell. They just attended some NCFIC conference on "Godly Marriages" and the mom mentioned a failed courtship or two in their past. They're intermittently interesting- the older girls have a horrific pro-life singing group that has cracked me up many a time. I'm not sure I've ever seen them discussed here so snark away!

She rails against the 1996 Newbury Book Award winning book What Jamie Saw. She claims the book is directed at third graders, but the truth is actually that its target audience is sixth-ninth graders. The book addresses domestic violence (because kids never see anything like that, right? :roll: ), and here's the Amazon description:

With wrenching simplicity and mesmerizing imagery, Coman articulates nine-year-old Jamie's baffled, stream-of-consciousness observations of a violent act that robs him of his security, but not his innocence. Awakened in the middle of the night by some primal sense of alarm, the sleep-disoriented boy watches his stepfather reach into his baby sister's crib and throw her across the room. And then he watches his mother step into the bedroom doorway and catch her flying baby. Patty deposits her pajama-clad children into the safety of her rusty old Buick, collects the bare necessities, and leaves. With the help of her friend Earl, Jamie's teacher, and even her mother-in-law, Patty finds her way back to work and into a support group for battered wives. In a trailer out in the middle of nowhere, she and Jamie tough it out, slowly reinventing their lives. Revealed through the boy's clear, unprejudiced eye, characters, though rough and uneducated, are not stereotyped. It is Jamie who is most delicately and lovingly wrought. His love of magic tricks, illusion, and sleight of hand sustains him through the bad times. Shocking in its simple narration and child's-eye view, What Jamie Saw is a bittersweet miracle in understated language and forthright hopefulness.

She states that she was mortified over the book and would never allow her children to read it. It's great if her children are never exposed to such realities, but many, many children are, so maybe she could get off her high horse and have some compassion for other people. Bitch.

Ha! Someone else reads this blog??? :D I've never seen it mentioned here either so thought maybe it was only me. I can't remember how I found them originally, I suspect it was from following some "blog ring" sort of links from another VF-affiliated family.

I remember years ago they had a Vacation Bible School sort of thing at home, homeschool style, for their kids, and it was about travelling the world, and the things on Asia... well, I just can't. Naivete in the extreme to put it mildly.

The mom is an extreme couponer, cannot deny she has some mad skills in that arena. The deals she gets, are quite amazing.

I recall some mention on the blog ages ago too that the mom (I think) has some relatives that are not in favor of her planning for her daughters not to attend college. Once again it's the "we're the first generation to do this" story (she talks about her past and being "born again" on some old blog entries).

How the ATI/VF crowd actually does it...

The joy of having older children is that when life is unraveling I can pick up my notebooks, my pencils and the keys and leave.
So all you have to do, really, is get through the first ten years or so. :D After that, as soon as you can legally leave them, you can just declare the older kids to be in charge, and march out the door for a few hours of "me" time.

And while she seems a bit more sane than most fundy bloggers (she admits one of her sons is allowed to run around the house wearing nothing but his underwear - can you imagine a Duggar being allowed to do this?), I do have one question - WHY ARE ALL OF THESE WOMEN "LADY" SOMETHING? It's amazing that not one of them is ever a peasant woman... :lol: :lol:

How the ATI/VF crowd actually does it... So all you have to do, really, is get through the first ten years or so. :D After that, as soon as you can legally leave them, you can just declare the older kids to be in charge, and march out the door for a few hours of "me" time.

And while she seems a bit more sane than most fundy bloggers (she admits one of her sons is allowed to run around the house wearing nothing but his underwear - can you imagine a Duggar being allowed to do this?), I do have one question - WHY ARE ALL OF THESE WOMEN "LADY" SOMETHING? It's amazing that not one of them is ever a peasant woman... :lol: :lol:

Umm :oops: I'm ladypuglover because I didn't want anyone thinking I was a lordpuglover. But if you want, you can call me peasantladypuglover. :shifty:

How the ATI/VF crowd actually does it... So all you have to do, really, is get through the first ten years or so. :D After that, as soon as you can legally leave them, you can just declare the older kids to be in charge, and march out the door for a few hours of "me" time.

I'll admit it beats the constant use of "girl" in reference to women the Duggar's et. al. use. I remember watching the episode with Anna's 23rd birthday and J'chelle and Boob kept calling her "girl" and I'm thinking "she's married and has two kids, she's a woman, not a girl!"

Archived