IGNORED

the duggars on reality tv - industry perspective.

vicka

If I recall correctly, Josh's "video production company" got credit for filming the 1st birth (don't know about the 2nd, but assume the same). Now, his camera "crew" could have been his buds, it could have been his sisters, it could have been the regular TLC guys (since they're not union) -- who knows? But his "company" GOT PAID to provide the footage of the birth.

And without ANY knowledge of the reality TV industry, I was always suspicious that the first home birth was because there was some sort of bonus offered. Maybe the doctor on call was reluctant to be filmed (who wouldn't be?) and TLC told Josh, Hey, we'll give you an extra $5k if you do it at home, AND we'll pay your "film company" extra as well.

Yeah, it's all speculation, but it fits pretty neatly with what can be verified about how the industry works.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I recall correctly, Josh's "video production company" got credit for filming the 1st birth (don't know about the 2nd, but assume the same). Now, his camera "crew" could have been his buds, it could have been his sisters, it could have been the regular TLC guys (since they're not union) -- who knows? But his "company" GOT PAID to provide the footage of the birth.

And without ANY knowledge of the reality TV industry, I was always suspicious that the first home birth was because there was some sort of bonus offered. Maybe the doctor on call was reluctant to be filmed (who wouldn't be?) and TLC told Josh, Hey, we'll give you an extra $5k if you do it at home, AND we'll pay your "film company" extra as well.

Yeah, it's all speculation, but it fits pretty neatly with what can be verified about how the industry works.

This was my assumption as well. They couldnt get a Dr on board so joshie filmed it himself under the clause and sold it. He saw dollar signs with michael and did it again. I do wonder how Anna is cool with everyone seeing her body. Michelle insists on covering ALL skin at the Dr and Anna seems to be the same - maybe she didnt think about all the people who would see the unedited tape?

Would TLC swap out for a female crew for the birth? I'm thinking that she wouldnt be comfie with a man looking at her lady birthin parts even if they would be blurred for TV.

Mack's birth did not have a all female film crew. They showed images of Jim and other crew members holding Mac minutes after she was born.

This was my assumption as well. They couldnt get a Dr on board so joshie filmed it himself under the clause and sold it. He saw dollar signs with michael and did it again. I do wonder how Anna is cool with everyone seeing her body. Michelle insists on covering ALL skin at the Dr and Anna seems to be the same - maybe she didnt think about all the people who would see the unedited tape?

I bet she did think about it. but what could she do? Josh told her this is best, and thats that. we hear it all the time... if your husband tells you to do something you think its a sin do it anyway. so she swallowed her modesty and values and did as she was told. i feel very bad for her. :(

My hospital did not allow filming once pushing started. I think this may be common because it prevents malpractice suits.

My hospital did not allow filming once pushing started. I think this may be common because it prevents malpractice suits.

same for mine. also, many doctors wouldn't want to be filmed for that very reason (obgyn insurance premiums are high enough as it is).

One More: What would you suggest they do to breathe new life into the show? Something they'd actually go along with I mean. Not 'Jana goes away to college!'.

One More: What would you suggest they do to breathe new life into the show? Something they'd actually go along with I mean. Not 'Jana goes away to college!'.

I think the producers made a huge mistake when they pushed the family to modernize. they were a freak show with their frumpy jumpers, infinitely productive uterus and business in the front party in the back hair, and yet since they were so sweet mannered that they were a sweet and lovable freak show. that was why they worked. but in order to make them more relatable the producers encouraged them to dress a little more modern. they got iphones. they got to travel. some of it was also the duggars themselves, the more money you have the more you want to spend. i don't think there is a damn thing they can do to breath life into this show. the duggars have become much like the rest of america. now they are basically just a big ass family with a huge mcmansion and barely modest clothes. they are a little too real. and thats why they are more boring now. the producers know they got one more season in these people, max two. they are going to cut their losses soon.

perhaps the only thing to do is to transfer the attentions to the bates. they are still a bit of a freak show (meant in sort of a nice way).

I wonder what happened to Dr. Sarver? She must have put her foot down because I don't remember seeing her at all during Anna's second pregnancy.

Archived