IGNORED

Atheist student against prayer mural

lilwriter85

Isn't that the whole point of school- to learn about the world around you? Religion is a big part of the world, though it's importance varies depending on where you live, and introducing the topic of a different religion to little kids is easier if you can connect it to something (or in this case, someone) they already know.

It's a lot harder to teach kids about, say, Judaism or Islam by saying "Okay, there are these people you don't know, who live far away, who do things that you would find very weird" than it is when you can say "Suzy's mom is here to tell us about a special holiday they celebrate at their house this week."

Fakepigtails73 is against multiculturalism for some unspecified reason, so I am guessing that is where the reasoning is coming from. It would still be nice if you could explain your reasoning behind that, btw.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Holy cow at the bigots! Several florists refused to make or deliver flower arrangements to Jessica Ahlquist.

http://ffrf.org/news/releases/florist-s ... n-statute/

The Freedom From Religion Foundation this afternoon filed a formal complaint with the State of Rhode Island Commission for Human Rights, alleging “illegal discrimination based on religion†when a flower shop in Cranston refused, on the basis of religion, to fill an order to send a dozen roses to Jessica Ahlquist.

Jessica, 16, has been treated as a pariah by many in her Cranston community for being the lead plaintiff in a federal lawsuit that resulted last week in a court order to remove an illegal prayer banner at her high school auditorium.

The complaint, filed by FFRF’s Senior Staff Attorney Rebecca Markert, notes that FFRF, based in Madison, Wis., is “the nation’s largest association of freethinkers — atheists, agnostics and skeptics,†and that “Ms. Ahlquist is an outspoken atheist who has made national headlines because of her involvement in a federal lawsuit against the Cranston School District.â€

Markert lays out the facts, noting that on Tuesday, FFRF Co-President Annie Laurie Gaylor, wishing to send a bouquet of roses to congratulate Jessica, contacted a shop based in Madison, Wis., to assist with the delivery. FFRF understands at least three florists in Cranston were contacted on Wednesday.

• Floral Express, in Cranston, on Wednesday messaged the Madison shop via Dove Network, an electronic order service, that it was “closed on the requested delivery day†(which was the same day) and “. . . I am not able to fill this."

• At 2:12 p.m. Wedneday, the Madison florist was contacted by Twins Florist, refusing the order via Dove Network message: “I will not deliver to this person.â€

• Then Flowers by Santilli in Cranston was contacted by phone. The owner, upon hearing the name of the recipient, said he would rather not get involved and refused to fill the order.

• Seeking to go outside Cranston, the Madison flower firm on Wednesday next contacted Greenwood Flower and Garden in Warwick, which agreed to accept the order, but today called back saying patrons were phoning and emailing threatening to boycott his business so he refused the order, too.

FFRF was forced to go to an out of state business, Glimpse of Gaia, in Putnam, Conn., which not only agreed to deliver the flowers but threw in a second bouquet from the shop with its own message, “Glimpse of Gaia fully supports our First Amendment and will not be bullied by those who do not. Here’s to you, Jessica Ahlquist.â€

Under R.I.G.L. 11-24-2, it is unlawful for a place of accommodation to deny services “on account of religion.â€

Wrote FFRF to the commission: “Twins Florist violated this statute when it refused the order by FFRF and it stated in its refusal that it would not 'deliver to this person.' " Furthermore, FFRF was harmed by this refusal, which was based on Ms. Ahlquist’s atheism and FFRF’s support of her. FFRF was forced to find a store out of state to accept the order and make a belated delivery to Ms. Ahlquist.

“We ask that the Commission for Human Rights in Rhode Island commence an immediate investigation into this matter.â€

Unbelievably, the three Cranston shops have put up their own Facebook page, “I stand with the Cranston florists,†seeking public support.

“They must grow ’em mean in Rhode Island,†commented Gaylor.

FFRF has heard from folks as far away as Sweden and Denmark wishing to support Jessica, some supporters saying they would be ordering flowers for Jessica from the Connecticut shop themselves.

It isn't a surprise that the idiots who inhabit Rhode Island are getting all up in arms about this ugly banner coming down. Rhode Island has to be the most corrupt state in the union. And Cranston may be the worst city in the state.

Based on a lot of stuff I've read, it seems some people in that city are pretty fed up with this controversy. The florists refusing to fill the order are pretty hateful.

I love FFRF. That reminds me, I need to send them a donation. Maybe they can use it to send flowers to Jessica!

It isn't a surprise that the idiots who inhabit Rhode Island are getting all up in arms about this ugly banner coming down. Rhode Island has to be the most corrupt state in the union. And Cranston may be the worst city in the state.

That's a pretty broad generalization. Cranston is hardly the worst city in my sad little state though.

I went to that high school. I don't think I ever read the prayer on the wall while I was there, but I still don't think it belongs on the wall in a public school. It amazes me to see how grown adults are now harassing this 16 year old girl. A State Representative called her an "Evil Little Thing" on a talk radio show...its become a kind of rallying cry from the folks that support her and the removal of the painting. That I love.

Anniec, thanks for posting the facebook comments. They are not pleasant but they are informative. They highlight the mentality of way too many Christians. It certainly decimates the argument that superstitious belief in a god is the foundation for morality.

It's not Christianity, it's like supporting a football team. If any of them actually cracked open a bible they would see Jesus giving the complete opposite message. They are about as Christian as a gibbon in a frilly bikini, it's the school hard crew trying to sound tough. If it was here they'd be boasting about carrying knives (whether they do or not).

I'll be completely honest and say that I would be very uncomfortable with my child having any part in something like that...

I find that really sad, to be completely honest, that you'd be uncomfortable with your child learning about other religions and being exposed to other faith traditions.

When you are confirmed at my church, you go on a visit to a synagogue, a mosque, and a Buddhist temple, and you take a day-long class on each religion and learn some of their traditions, their histories, all sorts of interesting information. Every religion needs to peacefully coexist, and whether or not you are religious yourself, having knowledge of other religions and their traditions and cultural festivities.

It makes me upset when people can't let their kids LEARN about something that they themselves don't practice. What's wrong with a little extra knowledge?

From the [link=http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/27/us/rhode-island-city-enraged-over-school-prayer-lawsuit.html]NY Times article[/link], I just read one of the smartest comments that I think I've ever heard a 16 year old say...

Does she empathize in any way with members of her community who want the prayer to stay?

“I’ve never been asked this before,†she said. A pause, and then: “It’s almost like making a child get a shot even though they don’t want to. It’s for their own good. I feel like they might see it as a very negative thing right now, but I’m defending their Constitution, too.â€

Bah-rilliant, Jessica. Keep up the good fight!

I delurked just to reply to this thread (I came to FJ after Michelle Duggars I have 19 kids on earth and 1, oops I mean 2, in heaven controversy). I live in RI for my first 27 years and I live in a town bordering Cranston. Picture Jersey Shore (in both looks and attitude) and you will have an accurate description of most of the city of Cranston. I keep up with the news in RI and many times I've heard, "I don't remember the banner from when I was at Cranston West, but it's been there since forever. Jessica Ahlquist is an evil religion hater!" And they needed to go to trial to save this banner :roll:

If you want to see a prayer when you are at school everyday, pony up the cash and go to a religious school. It's that simple.

I delurked just to reply to this thread (I came to FJ after Michelle Duggars I have 19 kids on earth and 1, oops I mean 2, in heaven controversy). I live in RI for my first 27 years and I live in a town bordering Cranston. Picture Jersey Shore (in both looks and attitude) and you will have an accurate description of most of the city of Cranston. I keep up with the news in RI and many times I've heard, "I don't remember the banner from when I was at Cranston West, but it's been there since forever. Jessica Ahlquist is an evil religion hater!" And they needed to go to trial to save this banner :roll:

If you want to see a prayer when you are at school everyday, pony up the cash and go to a religious school. It's that simple.

Welcome to FJ. I agree with your statement about prayer and religious private schools.

Welcome to FJ. I agree with your statement about prayer and religious private schools.

Thanks. I moved from RI to about 45 minutes north of the Duggars (yes, I have stalked them). I'm used to getting religion blasted at me here- but to hear about something like this in my home state, I'm a little surprised.

Edit because here and hear are not the same.

I'm an atheist, and I live in Cranston. This has honestly made me wish in some ways I were in a position to move. I want to know when all these people I see suddenly became so religious that a stupid prayer banner in the high school auditorium is so important to them. I did mark down the names of the florist shops that wouldn't deliver to make sure I never give them any business. I'm also embarrassed by many of our elected officials. I've had to stop reading the comments on Facebook and the local news sites since it was making me too upset. I think the thing is that the banner defenders know that they have no real argument for keeping it there, so they go on the defensive and make personal attacks.

I am not "out" as an atheist, and lately I've been glad, based on the comments some of my local Facebook friends have been making! I think that girl is brave to face all of that.

We do have many wonderful private religious schools for all these people who feel so strongly about wanting prayers and religion in school.

• 2 weeks later...

On private land, whatever. On public land think twice. If Christians want a prayer banner somewhere public, then they can't complain if I post a big banner proclaiming the fallacy of the existence of god. But we all know I'd be seen as attacking them, even though they're condemning me and insisting I'm hell-bound.

I agree, there are also religious universities that one can send their child to as well, such as BJU and for Mormons, BYU.

• 1 month later...
I am fairly certain that pro-Muslim, Atheist, etc. banners would not last very long. It is a public school, the banner should come down or be located in a trophy case type situation stating where it came from. Private schools can do whatever they want and parents who want religion in their schools are free to seek them out.

Or put it in the schools archive. Bring it out when the school is displaying senior gifts. Explain the cultural context of the banner. Explain how culture has changed and why it needed to be take down. it could be a great history lessen for future students.

I cannot believe people would consider harming a person because she wanted to have a banner removed from a building. I just cannot comprehend that mentality.

Fakepigtails73 is against multiculturalism for some unspecified reason, so I am guessing that is where the reasoning is coming from. It would still be nice if you could explain your reasoning behind that, btw.

I recently moved to the suburbs from an IB school that was like this. I LOVED it and totally miss it. My daughter spent her K and 1st grade years in the IB setting and she got to learn about all kinds of holidays. The tension about people being different was just not there. I can't really explain why. Her (then) best friend is Islamic, and they brought tea and talked about Eid, another friend who was Jewish talked about Hanukkah and they had potato latkes. She came home that day and said, "There's a Jew in our class! There's a Jew in our class!" (She was 5.) At that point I got to inform her that her paternal grandmother was also Jewish, and that led to us celebrating Hanakkuh the following year.

They also all got to present on their favorite holidays, which they researched, so much to my atheist (now ex) husband's chagrin, my daughter's favorite was Easter! None of us magically turned into evil Jews or Muslims from learning about these customs, so I don't see why parents would feel uncomfortable about it unless they are just xenophobic. I really miss it. At her new school we can't celebrate anything but the changing of the seasons, but people bend the rules all the time for Christianity, so all the other religions just get left out.

You won't find it on her twitter now, she says in a later tweet that the police asked her to remove it.

Archived